What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is Trent Taylor being overlooked? (2 Viewers)

Nice game this last week....assume his snap count was down due to him being ill. Trending up with the new QB?
His snaps have fluctuated all season and I really think it's game plan dependent but I'm sure him having the flu played a part in his lowest snap count on the season (21% is the game he got injured).

44%, 45%, 47%,56%,49%, 61%, 70%, 59%, 21%, DNP, BYE, 66%, 41%

I'd really like to see him hover around 60-70%.

He wasn't drafted in my dynasty league but he currently has more catches, yards, and TDs than all of the first rounders (corey davis, mike williams, and john ross) combined. 

This thread got me looking at this guy. Decided to pick him up late yesterday. Tossed Coleman aside for him. With Gordon's return to the Browns WR mix I see whatever targets Coleman was seeing dropping off a bit. Taylor seems a better flyer at this point in the season.

David Lombardi of The Athletic said Trent Taylor has "taken his receiving presence to a new level" at 49ers training camp.

Lombardi added that he expects Taylor to make "a lot of noise" in 2019 while attributing his success this summer to the arrival of WRs coach Wes Welker. Taylor shares plenty of traits with Welker, a similarly diminutive slot receiver who went to five Pro Bowls over his 12-year career. The 2017 fifth-rounder would seem to have a decisive edge over Richie James for slot duties in San Francisco, though consistent volume could be hard to come by with George Kittle, Dante Pettis, Deebo Samuel and Marquise Goodwin also in the Niners' pass-catching mix.

SOURCE: David Lombardi on Twitter

Aug 2, 2019, 4:23 PM ET

Did we ever get an answer to the OP? Because I would really like to know why the WR114 from last year is being overlooked. If he returns to his 2017 WR68 form with a healthy Garropolo, good chance you’ll be spending a $1 on him for a bye week filler. Presuming you have two or three injuries, of course.

If this guy deserves a thread, I do too.  He is on a team with 3 RB's who are all good pass-catchers, and a top-3 TE.  He is battling for scraps, hoping for injuries to the other SF WR's.

If this guy deserves a thread, I do too.  He is on a team with 3 RB's who are all good pass-catchers, and a top-3 TE.  He is battling for scraps, hoping for injuries to the other SF WR's.
For what it’s worth, he might win the slot job. I don’t have inside top 80 WR yet, but sheesh, I don’t want to be hypocrite. I once had a championship squad (2015) that featured Travis Benjamin as a WR3. Though in hindsight I won in spite of that.

Trouble is the SF WR corp is so muddy, I would be shocked if Taylor finished as WR#2 on the team but I also wouldn't be shocked if he was inactive on Sundays and needed multiple injuries just to contribute. 

Still, I love to play in deep, deep leagues where you have a huge roster and even a guy like Taylor has some value.

TheWinz said:
Kind of guy who is a better real football player than fantasy. He’s not on the field enough to have fantasy relevant catch numbers. More a 3rd down guy. Good at moving the chains but too small to be blocking on running plays, so his snaps are really limited. 

Trent Taylor suffered a broken foot.

Taylor was the starting slot receiver before he went down. Richie James and do-all rookie Jalen Hurd will now compete for slot duties with Dante Pettis and Deebo Samuel likely starting on the perimeter. Taylor, who had "taken his receiving presence to a new level" this offseason, will likely miss multiple games to start the season after undergoing surgery.

SOURCE: Kyle Madson on Twitter

Aug 10, 2019, 9:54 PM ET

Coach Kyle Shanahan said it's "highly unlikely" Trent Taylor (foot) will be ready for Week 1.

There had previous been "hope" Taylor would make it back for the opener, but that has become increasingly unlikely as Taylor works his way back from a Jones fracture. It's a serious foot issue, and it's anyone's guess as to when Taylor will be ready to play. Jordan Matthews has been working as the first-team slot receiver much of the preseason and could fill that role Week 1.

RELATED: 

Jordan Matthews

SOURCE: Matt Barrows on Twitter

Aug 27, 2019, 7:02 PM ET

49ers GM John Lynch confirmed that WR Trent Taylor (foot) is out for the team's Week 1 matchup against the Buccaneers.

The 49ers are all kinds of banged up at wide receiver. Jalen Hurd (back) and Dante Pettis (groin) are also nursing injuries, so Marquise Goodwin, Deebo Samuel and Kendrick Bourne could each see expanded Week 1 roles. The entire 49ers' passing game is set up well against a Buccaneers defense that allowed the sixth-most PPR per game to opposing wide receivers last season.

RELATED: 

Dante Pettis

, Marquise Goodwin

, Deebo Samuel

, Jalen Hurd

SOURCE: Nick Wagoner on Twitter.

Aug 31, 2019, 5:04 PM ET

NBC Sports Bay Area reports the 49ers are still expecting "big things" from WR Trent Taylor. 

Three days shy of his 26th birthday, the would-be slot man missed all of 2019 with a foot injury that required five surgeries. Taylor has only 69 career receptions for 645 yards (an abysmal 9.3 yards per catch), but the 49ers still have one of the league's most unproven receiver groups. With the 49ers a run-first group with at least 2-3 options ahead of Taylor in the targets pecking order, Taylor doesn't figure to make much of a 2020 PPR impact. 

SOURCE: NBC Sports Bay Area 

Apr 27, 2020, 4:34 PM ET

49ers WR Trent Taylor is running routes and making cuts while working out with Jimmy Garoppolo and other veteran receivers.

“I’m back to doing all my normal stuff,” Taylor said. “I don’t know if you would say that I’m ready to go out and play a football game. I mean, I could if I had to." While that's not a complete assertion that he is fully healthy, Taylor dealt with a continuous foot injury last season that included five surgeries, so this is significant progress. His home is in the slot and there is a path to playing time if Taylor can stay healthy. Jalen Hurd, Kendrick Bourne and Dante Pettis are also participating in the throwing sessions with Garoppolo.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 3, 2020, 10:28 AM ET

What is the overall feeling of this guy vs. some of the others vying for the last few WR spots on the roster?

I'm in a deep dynasty and trying to assess him relative to guys like Hurd, Pettis, or Bourne. It seems like he has the best shot if he can stay healthy even with the investment in Aiyuk and recognizing Kittle as the real WR1 in the offense.

I think the current depth chart feels mostly like this but welcome others' opinions:

Kittle
Samuel
Aiyuk
Taylor
Hurd
Bourne
Pettis

What is the overall feeling of this guy vs. some of the others vying for the last few WR spots on the roster?

I'm in a deep dynasty and trying to assess him relative to guys like Hurd, Pettis, or Bourne. It seems like he has the best shot if he can stay healthy even with the investment in Aiyuk and recognizing Kittle as the real WR1 in the offense.

I think the current depth chart feels mostly like this but welcome others' opinions:

Kittle
Samuel
Aiyuk
Taylor
Hurd
Bourne
Pettis
I don't think he's in their plans. IIRC he was once on the trade block too.

I like him as a slot 3rd WR chain mover type. On many teams, he'd be useful.

Wasn't Bourne cut and returned? 

I think Lynch wants five dynamic receivers and everyone else is meh.

I find it fascinating. Why do teams keep typical WRs so long? Is this the way to do it? I totally supported the concept of big WR for endzone and lobs and speedy shifty slot and....everything the NFL has done for twenty years, but then again...hmmm. College is littered with guys with breakaway ability. Sure ability to run routes and catch are important but can that be taught if a team drafts a breakaway threat? The niners have drafted some polished ones ( I don't mean...) and when you're watching the game, how many times do the announcers say soandso can catch it and go all the way? Have we valued size and route running and some other qualities a little highly whereas breakaway ability should be the primary requisite?

Who didn't like Davis out of college? Humphries in Tampa? Yet AJ Brown made them look so unspecial once he burst on the scene.

Diontae sometimes caught it and made a b-line for the end zone, but without Antonio and JuJu's breakaway ability, didn't the Steelers suddenly look like an offense anyone can stop on D?

The Chiefs without Hill were a good example.

Bengals Ross is meh, but have you seen how much attention he gets even though he hasn't done squat in the NFL?

Who was that guy on the Browns that always got in trouble, Calloway? When he did play, I'd be thinking the whole game that Landry or OBJ were clearly better, no doubt, but he could catch it and take off and for a moment...ya know it wasn't those two that scored on a highlight reel play. I would take Odell and Landry over Calloway ten out of ten times but is that wrong? He was relatively dirt cheap so if not wrong, were those two overpaid?

Hollywood. I watched him plenty in college and it's hard to gauge Lamar's throwing while I'm saying holy cow on a fancy footwork run but...there are times I was so unimpressed with Brown. He's covered well, not getting open, and then vroom there he goes. If I were some play review guy, I'd probably rate Brown as bad or ineffective on like 80 percent of his routes. But that other twenty percent....woooo is he fast and good luck to the D trying to catch him. 

I really think there may be something to how the niners value breakaway ability. 

Back to Hollywood for a sec, a lot of people say he'll have to develop better route running or this N that. Sure when he's older and slower, but in year two, the defense is going to give him more space and try (try) to be more responsive. He won't have to be a better route runner or any of that. It's foolish to give a WR like him space. Some of Hill's routes are awful. He just runs four five steps diagonally and turns around. There isn't even a cut. But he catches it and the D is 5 yards off him and it's showtime. He suddenly looks like a kid on a playground and others trying to tag him. The Titans covered them with Adoree Jackson, a super athlete, who could keep up with these guys. It's debatable if he did well, but he sure made them work for their catches and this gave the rest of the D a sincere look to respond to. It's a different feel when a D gives one of these types a lot of space versus well we're going to blanket him. 

I do wonder about former safety Lynch having some thoughts along these lines as a former defender. 

The niners really might be onto something 

Kittle
Samuel
Aiyuk
Taylor
Hurd
Bourne
Pettis
After the top 3 of Kittle, Samuel, and Aiyuk, I'd think of it as a competition for which one will get the most playing time rather than worrying about the current depth chart. I'd rank their odds:

Bourne - the incumbent 3rd WR, had the largest role in the offense last year and also in 2018 when Taylor was healthy
Taylor - slot WR, held that role in 2017, declined in 2018 but looked like he might've won that role back in 2019 before his injury
Hurd - 2019 3rd rounder who missed his rookie year with injuries, fits their type as a RAC guy
Travis Benjamin - speedy deep threat, resembles Goodwin who played ahead of all of these guys, signed on a cheap contract
Pettis - 2018 2nd rounder, fell down the depth chart last year but has a shot at a Tyler Boyd style resurgence in his 3rd season

With a decent chunk of probability on "the field", including Jauan Jennings, Richie James, and guys who aren't on the roster yet.

IMO Hurd has the most upside in this role, and the best chance of producing as their WR2 if Aiyuk fails to step right in or Samuel misses time.

I can't quote all that, but I agree with your general thesis about breakaway guys and SF. The reason that the NFL values underneath and intermediate route runners so much is the West Coast offense and its adherents and coaching proteges from the WCO, plain and simple. The deep ball and deep threat still work, but it's more of a token threat. I think that's changing -- like everything else does -- in a cycle. You saw Ruggs go first overall in the draft. Tyreek is untouchable on KC and fantasy teams alike. Your point about Ross is taken. Same with Will Fuller. Deep threats have to draw attention or defenses pay. 

That said, your Pittsburgh example isn't a good one. D. Johnson's forty is right in line with Brown and JuJu, neither of whom are considered burners or YAC guys. Brown and JuJu are more route runners and seam finders. Brown's footwork is outstanding, but it's not his raw breakaway speed that makes him so tough. Brown ran a 4.56 forty, though his elusiveness on kick returns was special. 

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
The Athletic's Matt Barrows considers Trent Taylor the favorite to place third on the 49ers in receptions behind George Kittle and Deebo Samuel.

That's if Samuel is healthy. Taylor missed all of 2019 with the same injury Samuel has now, a Jones fracture. Taylor suffered multiple setbacks, ultimately undergoing five surgeries. NBC Sports Bay Area reported in April the Niners were still expecting "big things" from the 26-year-old slot man. Taylor caught 43 balls in 2017 and 26 in 2018. Considering Taylor's health woes and the Niners' crowded, if unsettled, receiver group, 40 is probably a realistic over/under.  
https://theathletic.com/1902670/2020/07/01/49ers-mailbag-whos-next-for-an-extension-why-no-flak-from-nashville-workouts/?source=emp_shared_article

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/11880/trent-taylor

I had Aiyuk ready to go tonight with Tee Higgins and Jalen Reagor on byes. Quickly threw Aiyuk on IR, picked up Trent Taylor and now debating on starting him over Damien Harris.... 

I had Aiyuk ready to go tonight with Tee Higgins and Jalen Reagor on byes. Quickly threw Aiyuk on IR, picked up Trent Taylor and now debating on starting him over Damien Harris.... 
My advice is if you don't plan to use Taylor, drop him before the game tonight and pick up someone who might be better long term. Often I'll do this with players who I don't think will be playable long-term (Taylor once Aiyuk is off the COVID list) and pick up a handcuff. If the starter gets hurt you have the guy already, if the starter doesn't get hurt you have an easy drop.

My advice is if you don't plan to use Taylor, drop him before the game tonight and pick up someone who might be better long term. Often I'll do this with players who I don't think will be playable long-term (Taylor once Aiyuk is off the COVID list) and pick up a handcuff. If the starter gets hurt you have the guy already, if the starter doesn't get hurt you have an easy drop.
Also prevents anyone else from picking him up and using him against you.

Bengals released WR Trent Taylor. 

The Bengals signed Taylor -- a 2017 fifth round pick by the 49ers -- in May. He saw significant playing time in the preseason and made a spectacular reception on a tipped ball that nearly went for a touchdown against Miami. There's a good chance the Bengals bring back Taylor and stash him on their practice squad. 
I'm not sure @CaGamblers is goign to update this...

Users who are viewing this thread