What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why soccer will never be big in the USA....... (1 Viewer)

If i sit down to watch a soccer game the time is very predictable and is a tidy 2.5 hours... a great time frame for a sports contest.
2.5 hours? If it goes to extra time, then PKs that last 12 rounds, then yes

Games are less than two hours

Last edited by a moderator:
a few other things i think soccer does really well

-no commercials, no time stoppage

You sit down for about 48 min and don't have a time stoppage, a time out, a commercial break

-40 game season

Seem like a perfect amount of games for a season. Many NBA/NHL casual fans wouldn't mind the regular season to be cut

-promotion and relegation

great way to get interest all around. Top teams playing for the title and the bottom team fighting for their league life.

One big thing Euro leagues are missing that US people want are playoffs.

Heck, in college we have instituted 2 playoffs in some conferences. You win your regular season title, you play a conference tournament, then you make it to the NCAA tournament. We love our playoffs.

You sit down for about 48 min and don't have a time stoppage, a time out, a commercial break

-40 game season

Seem like a perfect amount of games for a season. Many NBA/NHL casual fans wouldn't mind the regular season to be cut

great way to get interest all around. Top teams playing for the title and the bottom team fighting for their league life.

Heck, in college we have instituted 2 playoffs in some conferences. You win your regular season title, you play a conference tournament, then you make it to the NCAA tournament. We love our playoffs.
Champions League does take on some of the playoff like qualities and many leagues have promotion and relegation playoffs and others have playoffs for various spots in the Europa League.I love playoffs though. I like that MLS has found some balance between rewarding the champion at yhe end of the regular season while still having a normal playoff system.

If the USA really wanted to it could win a World Cup in the next 12 years. That said it would need to be a country wide effort and someone would have to put hundreds of millions into it. You can tell me how great the rest of the word is till your blue in the face. But if Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, AJ green, Lebron James, Etc Etc of all the truly great US athletes and athletes to come took ten years and dove head first into winning a World Cup I'm sure we could do it.
:lmao:
If the USA really wanted to it could win a World Cup in the next 12 years. That said it would need to be a country wide effort and someone would have to put hundreds of millions into it. You can tell me how great the rest of the word is till your blue in the face. But if Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, AJ green, Lebron James, Etc Etc of all the truly great US athletes and athletes to come took ten years and dove head first into winning a World Cup I'm sure we could do it.
The best player in the world is 5'5 and about 95 pounds, how could all those big/fast guys not be the best in the world?

I'll try to sum up why Americans will never accept soccer:

-America is not the best at soccer

-Americans will not accept a sport they are not the best at

-Americans will explain why they aren't the best

-Americans will belittle sport they are not the best at

Many other nations are better at soccer, and it's not because America doesn't try, and it's not because football and basketball players don't play soccer. Americans are simply not as good as many other nations. No need to be scared and defensive, accept it and enjoy or move on.

I apologize to Americans who like soccer, and those who don't but don't make excuses as to why America doesn't dominate. I also fully realize that the rest of the world does the same thing about American sports.

I look forward to this thread in four years.

The best player in the world is 5'5 and about 95 pounds, how could all those big/fast guys not be the best in the world?
Do you mean if we took those guys now and trained them or do you mean if they started playing soccer at 4 years old?

I'll try to sum up why Americans will never accept soccer

Americans, especially young or hispanic in origin have already accepted soccer. The only ones who don't as a demographic are the older generation.

The facts (ratings, attendance, sponsorship, team valuations, stadiums, expansion fees, tv contract values etc etc) show the sport in nothing but an upward growth. Not acknowledging these facts just shows a bias instead of a balanced thought process.

Of course a lot of people won't like soccer. Just as there is a lot of people who don't like any particular sport.

19 out of 20 people in America see the World Series on TV and choose not to watch it.

Luckily we have such a big and diverse population that we can support numerous sports even with out any where near a majority.

Do you mean if we took those guys now and trained them or do you mean if they started playing soccer at 4 years old?
Can the USMNT start 4 goalies?

Ask the soccer crazy African countries why their bigger stronger faster players on their teams lose out to smaller skillful players from other countries.

Ratings look pretty dismal for soccer.

The cup final's best ratings were its first two years in 96 and 97 with a 1.4. They nosed to 0.6 by the last year it was on ABC in 2008. Last year's cup final set a new record low rating at 0.5. Regular season ratings also show deterioration.

I don't know how viable MLS on TV is. MLS just got a new TV deal for $90 million per year, up from $30 per year in the old deal. So someone still believes in MLS TV. But was it a mistake to cut that deal? The NHL TV deal is $200 million per year and their TV ratings are MUCH higher.

The attendance numbers are the bright spot, especially in select markets.

MLS just got a new TV deal for $90 million per year, up from $30 per year in the old deal. So someone still believes in MLS TV. But was it a mistake to cut that deal?
They are going to be focusing on a standardized TV schedule for MLS. I know what day/time every week I can catch an EPL game, not the same for MLS. They've been too herky-jerky with when their games are on. They are going to focus on getting games on TV at certain times and repeatedly at those times every week/month. This will help IMMENSELY and should start their TV uptrend.

MLS just got a new TV deal for $90 million per year, up from $30 per year in the old deal. So someone still believes in MLS TV. But was it a mistake to cut that deal?
They are going to be focusing on a standardized TV schedule for MLS. I know what day/time every week I can catch an EPL game, not the same for MLS. They've been to herky-jerky with when their games are on. They are going to focus on getting games on TV at certain times and repeatedly at those times every week/month. This will help IMMENSELY and should start their TV uptrend.
I've heard that assertion before and one that could backfire. If ratings don't uptick after people keep asserting they will with a standardized schedule, that could push execs over into the "MLS is a failure" camp. So this is a pivotal TV contract.

They are going to be focusing on a standardized TV schedule for MLS. I know what day/time every week I can catch an EPL game, not the same for MLS. They've been to herky-jerky with when their games are on. They are going to focus on getting games on TV at certain times and repeatedly at those times every week/month. This will help IMMENSELY and should start their TV uptrend.
I've heard that assertion before and one that could backfire. If ratings don't uptick after people keep asserting they will with a standardized schedule, that could push execs over into the "MLS is a failure" camp. So this is a pivotal TV contract.
As far as I know this is the first time they're trying to get on a standard/repeated schedule. I do agree, this is a very pivotal time for them with their TV ratings. There won't be too many excuses after this

Agreed.

But it also a long contract(8 years) and MLS ratings are pretty low to start with so they do have some room to move. So who knows what it will be in 8 years.

I do hope they(Fox, ESPN and Univision) at least stick with the standardized time slots for a couple years.

One big item is obviously expansion. Having a team in NY proper as well as covering the Southeast with Atlanta, Miami and Orlando will give the league a national foot print it has never had before.

Before the TV deal is over, there should be at least two more teams as well added.

. If they could just stop the TV ratings from hitting record lows, that would be a start.
MLS ratings are showing some signs of life. They are up over 100% compared to last year on NBCSN after the same amount of games played.

They have a long way to go though.

EPL ratings are very strong

Liga MX Ratings are fantastic

US National team ratings are solid

WC Ratings are going to be extremely high this summer

Champions League ratings on Fox have been doing very well

don't equate MLS with the entire soccer tv scene here in the US. They are just one portion of the puzzle.

I am not sure why I keep taking the bait seeing as you are the guy who thinks the sport is as popular today as it was back before Becks pre 2006, no matter how many facts are presented to you to show you just how incorrect you are.
You aren't reading my posts, I never said that. I said it has been growing. Beckham to the Galaxy didn't cause the sport to explode. It was a short lived story for the average sports fan.

The fact is you are taking the growing of the sport and conflating that into a major, mainstream professional sport in the US. It's not and everyone knows it's not.

But anyway.. bananas. It won't be popular because of bananas. That's where we started

NewlyRetired said:
Riversco said:

don't equate MLS with the entire soccer tv scene here in the US. They are just one portion of the puzzle.
:goodposting:

MLS is like watching the WAC conference in CFB.

Talent is no where near the SEC/Big10.

People know it exists but most people can't name more than 2 teams

I am enjoying watching the Euro games but have never sat through 2 min of an MLS game.

I grew up in the 60s and people were saying back then that soccer was going be the #1 sport in the USA someday.

I don't think it is going to happen in my lifetime.

The tv ratings don't matter much now because there are multiple sports networks that need content to survive. Fox Sports 1 isn't going to make it by rolling out one hot blonde after another to do highlights shows.

FS1, NBCSN and CBSSN have all debuted in the past 5 years and all need content. You will not be lacking for MLS games if that's your thing. And certainly not the Premier League...that is definitely here to stay and will likely have a bidding war once this NBC contract is up.

I grew up in the 60s and people were saying back then that soccer was going be the #1 sport in the USA someday.

I don't think it is going to happen in my lifetime.
I don't think it is going to happen in anyones grand children's life time.

And really who cares where it lands in relative popularity? The sport is significantly more popular today than it was even 8 years ago and it will be more popular 8 years from now. That is really the only thing anyone should be concerned with.

NewlyRetired said:
Riversco said:

I am enjoying watching the Euro games but have never sat through 2 min of an MLS game.
Maybe this is part of the problem? We're an ADD-esque nation. All of these leagues for a casual fun just makes it seem very watered down. WTF do you watch? We all want/need that 1 major go to league.

NewlyRetired said:
Riversco said:

Champions League ratings on Fox have been doing very welldon't equate MLS with the entire soccer tv scene here in the US. They are just one portion of the puzzle.

Maybe this is part of the problem? We're an ADD-esque nation. All of these leagues for a casual fun just makes it seem very watered down. WTF do you watch? We all want/need that 1 major go to league.
The World Cup and Champions League are the closest you will come to that feeling but the sport is too big (ie too much talent) for there to be any one super league.

17seconds said:
NewlyRetired said:
I am not sure why I keep taking the bait seeing as you are the guy who thinks the sport is as popular today as it was back before Becks pre 2006, no matter how many facts are presented to you to show you just how incorrect you are.
You aren't reading my posts, I never said that. I said it has been growing. Beckham to the Galaxy didn't cause the sport to explode. It was a short lived story for the average sports fan.

The fact is you are taking the growing of the sport and conflating that into a major, mainstream professional sport in the US. It's not and everyone knows it's not.

But anyway.. bananas. It won't be popular because of bananas. That's where we started
We don't know this at all. Take a look at the history of sports popularity in this country and you see it changes every few decades. And the bananas thing is a ridiculous angle.

Major support in latin american community. It will continue to grow and has more upside than any other major american sport, IMO.

NewlyRetired said:
Riversco said:

As mentioned above

English Premiere League (England)

La Liga (Spain)

are the 2 big ones and all the talent is in Europe.

Basically Europe is like College basketball.

England = ACC

Spain =Big East

Italy =Big12

etc

You can follow the big teams from each "conference"

Then during the year (while each conference regular season is going on)they have the Champions league (best teams in Europe playing for NCAA championship)

Then there is a UEFA League cup this is kinda like the NIT championship

Either way,if you simply want to watch great soccer, just follow the England and Spain leagues and the above tournaments.

Watching those are watching the greatest in the world play and an entirely different level of talent and atmosphere to each game.

it's like watching a Duke/North Carolina game as opposed to a Seton Hall/Maryland game which would be the MLS right now.

The Gator said:
Dentist said:
If i sit down to watch a soccer game the time is very predictable and is a tidy 2.5 hours... a great time frame for a sports contest.
2.5 hours? If it goes to extra time, then PKs that last 12 rounds, then yes

Games are less than two hours
even BETTER then.

movie and a sporting event ought to be about the same time commitment

comfortably numb said:

-40 game season

I agree with a lot of things here:

the no commercials thing can be solved with corner ads as it is.. continuous time is still better

40 game season - agree except the season is too long... march to december?

I absolutely LOVE the ideas of relegation and promotion.. i wish that could be adapted to college football, college B-ball.. etc.

And I generally dislike playoffs so I have no issue with that.

playoffs are mostly stupid.. you have a long regular season where a team proves its worth and then you want some one-off contest to tell you who the best team is when there is a decent amount of variance in the sport? Horrid.

Within 50 years, the top-3 sports in the US will be Soccer, Lacrosse, and Basketball

Football will have sued itself out of existence, and baseball will die with the baby-boomers. Hockey will continue to be a niche sport.

I long for the days of shorter baseball games.
man... i am so with you on this.. if baseball could get back to an 80's average of a 2 hr 30 min game i'd be ecstatic.

I don't even want to sit down to a game until the 3rd inning because they go so long.

this is happening in most sports... people don't want more always... less is more a lot of the time!

Most countries with out winter issues run from August to May and then the summer is the offseason.
well that sounds horrible too.

7 months is plenty for a sports season.. again, less would be better... you have to go away for awhile so that people "miss" your sport and look forward to it.

this is one of the main problems amongst many with tennis... they have a 1 month offseason

Most countries with out winter issues run from August to May and then the summer is the offseason.
well that sounds horrible too.

7 months is plenty for a sports season.. again, less would be better... you have to go away for awhile so that people "miss" your sport and look forward to it.
There is no off time for soccer. What I mentioned was just league play. During the summer is international play (like the World Cup, the Euro Championships, Copa America etc).

The sport runs 12 months a year.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
NHL is 2.5 hours. :shrug:
Let me preface this. I really like hockey. When I lived in the US I would go to games several times during the season.But, my experience with watching it on tv is not good. I find it borderline unwatchable. I simply cannot follow the puck with certainty. Maybe I should get a wall screen or something once they start showing it in 4K mode.

NewlyRetired said:
Riversco said:

As mentioned above

English Premiere League (England)

La Liga (Spain)

are the 2 big ones and all the talent is in Europe.

Basically Europe is like College basketball.

England = ACC

Spain =Big East

Italy =Big12

etc

You can follow the big teams from each "conference"

Then during the year (while each conference regular season is going on)they have the Champions league (best teams in Europe playing for NCAA championship)

Then there is a UEFA League cup this is kinda like the NIT championship

Either way,if you simply want to watch great soccer, just follow the England and Spain leagues and the above tournaments.

Watching those are watching the greatest in the world play and an entirely different level of talent and atmosphere to each game.

it's like watching a Duke/North Carolina game as opposed to a Seton Hall/Maryland game which would be the MLS right now.
For a European fan your priority is your own team and league, then the Spain/Italy/UK and Champions League depending on your preference (if you also like Liverpool, you'll probably watch more EPL than Serie A and the inverse if you like Juventus).I suppose this is an/the issue with MLS. If the quality of the product is not up to snuff to make you go or to sit down in front of the tv, then the risk remains that it eventually will be marginalized.

It appears not to be a problem yet as things are pointing in the right direction. But it has been in the past and maybe it will be again.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
Let me preface this. I really like hockey. When I lived in the US I would go to games several times during the season.But, my experience with watching it on tv is not good. I find it borderline unwatchable. I simply cannot follow the puck with certainty. Maybe I should get a wall screen or something once they start showing it in 4K mode.
All joking aside, is your vision OK?

I have to say I think NHL on TV is probably one of the best watchable games for me, and I am not a huge hockey fan.

Safe bet that the NFL will be #1 for the rest of our lifetimes. It's never been bigger and continues to grow. Let's see one year of diminishing revenue before we start writing eulogies.

And soccer will never approach football or baseball in our lifetimes. At best it may equal hockey in a few decades (but I even doubt that).

And soccer will never approach football or baseball in our lifetimes. At best it may equal hockey in a few decades (but I even doubt that).
It will take many decades for MLS to catch the NHL and even that is likely very optimistic.

However soccer (EPL, MLS, World Cup, Euro Championship, Copa America, Liga MX, Champions League etc) is probably already equal to hockey as a whole in the US.

The most common mistake people continue to make is trying to equate MLS to the entire sport in this country. That is a huge mistake.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
All joking aside, is your vision OK?

I have to say I think NHL on TV is probably one of the best watchable games for me, and I am not a huge hockey fan.
Hockey is awful on TV, especially compared to the live experience. Going to a NHL game is one of the best sports experiences there is, and I don't follow the sport at all.

Fatboyz football could easily get down close to the two hour mark if it was just willing to give up some of its commercial time and adjust the clock rules. There's no reason for most of the clock stoppages, like incomplete passes. Which kinda doesn't jibe with the "ADD-American fan" argument that is offered all the time -- we're certainly willing to sit through endless commercial breaks. Unless I'm misinterpreting the ADD argument in general. Does that mean we can't watch an athletic contest for 45 minutes straight? Because once you get used to that, commercial breaks are just unbearable.

Users who are viewing this thread