What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why the Cowher FG call was the worst of his career (1 Viewer)

Bloom

1) It completely took the crowd out of the game. the steelers get more energy from their crowd than any team in the league. If they dont make it, does the crowd get that deflated? i dont think so. you still have the pats backed up at the 2. the playbook is much smaller when youre backed up like that, advantage steelers D. the crowd would have known getting loud could force a safety or D touchdown. instead, they were disgusted.2) (this is from faletti who was watching the game with me) So, you made the FG. what does that gain you? you still need 2 scores, a FG and a TD+2. to get the 2, you need to make the equivalent of a 4th and goal from the 4 (i think). you just passed up a 4th and goal from the 2. do you really believe your team has a better shot of making 4th and 4 and than 4th and 2?the steelers had everything to gain on that play, and nothing to lose. too bad cowher thought "we cant afford to get nothing on this drive", when he really should have thought "we cant afford to not get a TD". belicheck really showed cowher how to coach winning football when he went for it on 4th to ice the game up 34-20.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) It completely took the crowd out of the game. the steelers get more energy from their crowd than any team in the league. If they dont make it, does the crowd get that deflated? i dont think so. you still have the pats backed up at the 2. the playbook is much smaller when youre backed up like that, advantage steelers D. the crowd would have known getting loud could force a safety or D touchdown. instead, they were disgusted.2) (this is from faletti who was watching the game with me) So, you made the FG. what does that gain you? you still need 2 scores, a FG and a TD+2. to get the 2, you need to make the equivalent of a 4th and goal from the 4 (i think). you just passed up a 4th and goal from the 2. do you really believe your team has a better shot of making 4th and 4 and than 4th and 2?the steelers had everything to gain on that play, and nothing to lose. too bad cowher thought "we cant afford to get nothing on this drive", when he really should have thought "we cant afford to not get a TD". belicheck really showed cowher how to coach winning football when he went for it on 4th to ice the game up 34-20.
Totally agree. I didn't understand the playcall at all. In the end it may not have made a difference but being down by two scores in the 4th against the defending champs you have to go for it there and live with the consequences.

Agreed. I was actually relieved when they brought the FG unit out. That was a call that may define his career. It's a shame really, I always liked Cowher.

The call before the FG was worse: packing it in, nobody spread wide, and Bettis running it up the gut on 3rd and goal from the 3. With the Pats D knowing their only viable option was to run up the middle, the play had no chance.

That was a call that may define his career.
im really afraid of that. he is such a good coach and giving the whole team the fire, passion, heart that defines steelers football... but he just cant give us the mental edge of having a winning game plan for that one game. we have the exact same game plan for every game, you would think that after a 1-3 record in afc title games at home, cowher would realize that you have to put some wrinkles in to get to the super bowl...

The call before the FG was worse: packing it in, nobody spread wide, and Bettis running it up the gut on 3rd and goal from the 3. With the Pats D knowing their only viable option was to run up the middle, the play had no chance.
agreed. ESPECIALLY if you know you arent going for it on 4th down. you have to call a pass when you are only taking one shot from the 3.

1) It completely took the crowd out of the game. the steelers get more energy from their crowd than any team in the league. If they dont make it, does the crowd get that deflated? i dont think so.
Hi Bloom,I asked that question but after thinking on it for 30 seconds, think it was totally the right call.

If they'd failed there (a very strong possibility) I think the crowd significantly deflates.

I think it was the right call given the situation.

You can make an argument maybe but nowhere near a "worst call of career" type thing I don't believe.

J

I think thats the play where you get with the team (call a Time OUt if need be) and you say, "We're giving Jerome the ball, and 9 of you are going to block your @##es off and we're going to score." You take what you do best, and you live with it or you die with it. BUt kicking a FG is like treading water...COlin

It was worse than Reid calling the timeout with :01 left in the 1st quarter of the Phi game to force Atl to go for it on 4th and 1.

belicheck really showed cowher how to coach winning football when he went for it on 4th to ice the game up 34-20.
I agree that Cowher should have gone for the TD.But to make these two calls equivalent is a bit ludicrous. Belichick had nothing to lose by going for it on 4th down. Not really much of a decision.

1) It completely took the crowd out of the game. the steelers get more energy from their crowd than any team in the league. If they dont make it, does the crowd get that deflated? i dont think so.
Hi Bloom,I asked that question but after thinking on it for 30 seconds, think it was totally the right call.

If they'd failed there (a very strong possibility) I think the crowd significantly deflates.

You can make an argument maybe but nowhere near a "worst call of career" type thing I don't believe.

J
the steelers fans would have recognized that they could still force a D mistake. its speculation...regardless, the fg had the same effect as not making it on 4th, it deflated the crowd and therefore the team, at least if they go for it, theres a chance that the crowd doesnt get deflated, and if you make it....

I don't understand why he went for it on 4th and 1 at the Pats' 40 yard line and the 4th and 5 from the Pats' 25...and then settled for the field goal in that case. I said when they had 1st and goal from the 5 that all he needed to do was run it up the middle 4 times in a row. It would've been a TD. It would've kept the crowd pumped up, maintained the momentum they'd built, and brought them to within a TD with almost a full quarter to go. It didn't cost them the game, but it was definitely a questionable call at best.

I think thats the play where you get with the team (call a Time OUt if need be) and you say, "We're giving Jerome the ball, and 9 of you are going to block your @##es off and we're going to score." You take what you do best, and you live with it or you die with it. BUt kicking a FG is like treading water...COlin
Agreed. In fact, he should have told them on first down that it would be 4 in a row to the Bus. That's Stiller football and Cowher blew it big time.

Just interesting that Cowher went for it on 4th and 5 from the 30 (I believe) and ended up tossing that TD pass to Ward. Thought it was strange he didn't go for it on the inside the 3 yard line with a very good running game...Just my 2 cents...

I thought it was a good call. Furthermore, it seemed to be vindicated by NE scoring a field goal on the next position. They were still in the game, down by 14 with 7+ minutes left.

J
the steelers fans would have recognized that they could still force a D mistake. its speculation...regardless, the fg had the same effect as not making it on 4th, it deflated the crowd and therefore the team, at least if they go for it, theres a chance that the crowd doesnt get deflated, and if you make it....
Could well be, Bloom.I guess that's what we're here for on Monday morning!

J

belicheck really showed cowher how to coach winning football when he went for it on 4th to ice the game up 34-20.
I agree that Cowher should have gone for the TD.But to make these two calls equivalent is a bit ludicrous. Belichick had nothing to lose by going for it on 4th down. Not really much of a decision.
i think it illustrated the difference in the coaches thinking, thats all.

I didn't like the call because even if you make the field goal you are still down two scores. If you go for the TD and don't get it you are down by two scores.Also, on the 4th and 1 earlier and those short yardage situations, why didn't they use any of their qb draws or shuffle passes with randel el or ward in the backfield.

1st and goal from the 4 (where Hines Ward stepped out)1st play: Bettis run for 1 yard2nd play: Fade pattern to Burress3rd play: Bettis run for no gain.I said from the start "Run Bettis 3 times"I particularly didn't like the fade pattern to Burress on 2nd down. Too much is at stake to run a play like that which could result in an INT. Maybe on 3rd down, but not on 2nd down. Even the shuffle pass to Hines Ward (which worked against NYJ) would've been better. :Hindsight:

Agree that they should have gone for it. Disagree with the proposed call. Except for 1 early TD, NE completely shut down the running game and Pitt had no chance of simply running the ball into the end zone via smash mouth tactics. The 4th down play (as well as the earlier 3rd down play) should have been "spread formation" passing plays that also gave Ben an option to run into the endzone. The 2nd down pass to Burress is a TD if Plaxico is able to "execute" his side of the play.

The 2nd down call where they passed the ball was poor. They should have went for it...........they did deflate their crowd when they attempted the field goal.With that said, they still couldn't stop NE when it counted.

The 2nd down call where they passed the ball was poor. They should have went for it...........they did deflate there crowd when the attempted the field goal.With that said, they still couldn't stop NE when it counted.
yeah, im not saying the steelers win if they make the TD. not at all. just that it deprived us of the chance to see if they could.

hey bloomu assume they get a TD on 4th and goal.this isnt madden. this is the NEP defense and the stillers were owned.

1st and goal from the 4 (where Hines Ward stepped out)1st play: Bettis run for 1 yard2nd play: Fade pattern to Burress3rd play: Bettis run for no gain.I said from the start "Run Bettis 3 times"I particularly didn't like the fade pattern to Burress on 2nd down. Too much is at stake to run a play like that which could result in an INT. Maybe on 3rd down, but not on 2nd down. Even the shuffle pass to Hines Ward (which worked against NYJ) would've been better. :Hindsight:
I was screaming when they made that call. If they run on 2nd down, there's a good chance that even if they don't score they would have advanced the ball a yard or two. I wish Ward could have walked the tightrope a little better and scored the td.

Agree that they should have gone for it. Disagree with the proposed call. Except for 1 early TD, NE completely shut down the running game and Pitt had no chance of simply running the ball into the end zone via smash mouth tactics. The 4th down play (as well as the earlier 3rd down play) should have been "spread formation" passing plays that also gave Ben an option to run into the endzone. The 2nd down pass to Burress is a TD if Plaxico is able to "execute" his side of the play.
Then playaction. Either way, you've got to go with what you do best regardless of the other team's strength. THe Steelers WERE best at getting a push up the middle and making things happen that way. I think you've got to go with what got you there, so to speak.COlin

hey bloomu assume they get a TD on 4th and goal.this isnt madden. this is the NEP defense and the stillers were owned.
i didnt assume that at all. i said if they dont make it, they still have the pats on the 2 and a chance to force a safety, D TD, or stop. the playbook of plays from the 2 is small and gives the D a solid chance to stop them.

i didnt assume that at all. i said if they dont make it, they still have the pats on the 2 and a chance to force a safety, D TD, or stop. the playbook of plays from the 2 is small and gives the D a solid chance to stop them.
now thats just crazy talk.that just sets up TB for the 98 yard bomb.hey ever notice how TB and TB have the same initials? suh weet.

I asked that question but after thinking on it for 30 seconds, think it was totally the right call. If they'd failed there (a very strong possibility) I think the crowd significantly deflates.
Who cares if the crowd deflates for a minute. You think they aren't gonna be up roaring if they fail and they see the Pats taking snaps at their own 1 line? They know a sack or a pick 6 return is possible at that moment. If the crowd falls silent for the rest of the game because they fail on 4th down, they aren't worthy of being a hometown crowd.What I HOPED Cowher had planned was taking the FG then trying a surprise onside kick right after. They have a 70% recovery rate. Down 11 with possession at midfield makes the game very interesting if they can put together a scoring drive. That Pats defense was starting to look a little worn down to me and I think another TD drive was possible at that point. Kicking the FG and then kicking off was a tactical mistake.Edit:Backing up the Pats defense looked worn down statement.In the last half of the 3rd quarter the Steelers had just put together a 5 minute TD drive followed by a 3 and out stop of the Pats. Right after that, New England gives up two big plays (run and pass) which set up the discussion we're having now. Having the Pats defense on the field for almost 8 straight minutes late in the game along with having recovered an onside at midfield is a huge advantage for the Pitt O if you ask me.

it was probably the right call, you're only down 11 with like 10 minutes left in the game. However on further review, I'd have preferred they go for it. So if you fail, you pin them deep on defense, possibly come up with a big safety or even INT./Fum recovery for a TD in that situation. Hindsight is always 20/20 though. AT the time, it was the most logical decision in that situation.

it was probably the right call, you're only down 11 with like 10 minutes left in the game. However on further review, I'd have preferred they go for it. So if you fail, you pin them deep on defense, possibly come up with a big safety or even INT./Fum recovery for a TD in that situation. Hindsight is always 20/20 though. AT the time, it was the most logical decision in that situation.
:thumbup: here's how it goesyou kick the FGben roeth 60 yard pass to Burress +7onside kick recoverben roeth 80 yard pass to Hines Ward +7Steelers win.unfortunately, Ben got picked the next play and NEP ran 3/4 more minutes off the clock.

I particularly didn't like the fade pattern to Burress on 2nd down. Too much is at stake to run a play like that which could result in an INT. Maybe on 3rd down, but not on 2nd down.
One thing that surprised me was throwing that fade when there were two defenders in the area. I didn't see how the formations lined up, but you usually don't want to throw that kind of pass unless the WR is one-on-one. I certainly see the logic in throwing to a tall WR covered by a short CB, but without a little motion or something to isolate Burress against Gay(?), that's not a good call.

The bonehead play call was the endzone throw to Plaxico on 2nd down.. 1st and goal, inside the five? They should have ran Bettis 4 times.No use cryin' over spilled milk. Steelers will be a force next year! :stillers:

I liked that 3rd down call. You're in a two-down situation, you have Bettis and a great OL, pound pound and if you don't make it, you know you didn't deserve it.I was sure that 3rd down call meant that they'd go for it on 4th. I was amazed and disappointed when they didn't.

I asked that question but after thinking on it for 30 seconds, think it was totally the right call. If they'd failed there (a very strong possibility) I think the crowd significantly deflates.
Who cares if the crowd deflates for a minute. You think they aren't gonna be up roaring if they fail and they see the Pats taking snaps at their own 1 line? They know a sack or a pick 6 return is possible at that moment. If the crowd falls silent for the rest of the game because they fail on 4th down, they aren't worthy of being a hometown crowd.What I HOPED Cowher had planned was taking the FG then trying a surprise onside kick right after. They have a 70% recovery rate. Down 11 with possession at midfield makes the game very interesting if they can put together a scoring drive. That Pats defense was starting to look a little worn down to me and I think another TD drive was possible at that point. Kicking the FG and then kicking off was a tactical mistake.Edit:Backing up the Pats defense looked worn down statement.In the last half of the 3rd quarter the Steelers had just put together a 5 minute TD drive followed by a 3 and out stop of the Pats. Right after that, New England gives up two big plays (run and pass) which set up the discussion we're having now. Having the Pats defense on the field for almost 8 straight minutes late in the game along with having recovered an onside at midfield is a huge advantage for the Pitt O if you ask me.
I agree. I've always been a big supporter of Cowhers and will continue to support him, but that call was terrible. At Heinz Field you could absolutely feel the wind go out of the crowd. Not a lot of booing over the call, just kind of stunned, like, "well I guess it really is over". I also think you're sending a message to your team.Agreed with others, even if they get stopped after 4 straight Bus runs, they have the Pats on their own 1 yard line. Brady, was playing well, but I'll take my chances on four straight runs and let the defense take over if it doesn't work.

The bonehead play call was the endzone throw to Plaxico on 2nd down.. 1st and goal, inside the five? They should have ran Bettis 4 times.No use cryin' over spilled milk. Steelers will be a force next year! :stillers:
I agree with that as well, for the same reason I say to pound it on 3rd and 4th. You're the Steelers - if you can't make 5 yards on three running plays, you know you went out trying to do what you do best.

p.s. As a Pats fan, I was definitely relieved to see the FG team come out -- but as an objective point, I'm not sure if that was the wrong decision. I can certainly make a case for either. But I think that it would feel like game over to almost everyone if they failed. If it had been 17-3 instead of 31-17, that would be different, but the defense was not playing their best, and Pittsburgh just couldn't count on a stop and hope to play for field-position.

p.p.s. I understand all of the criticism leveled on Cowher, but think about it this way. Can anyone name the last coach before Cowher to reach the conference championship game five times in 11 years or less? How about the last team? I can't.

I thought it was a good call given the circumstances. If Burress had held onto the ball on 2nd down, it would have been moot. After he didn't, I'd have run something than Bettis up the gut on 3rd. Either they should have gone with Bettis 4 straight times, or tried something out of the gun on 3rd down.I don't think it was a bad call - what I do think is that coming away with 3 there when you have 1st and goal at the 4, down 14 in the fourth quarter is unacceptable.

as a gambler, I saw Cowher's decision to kick the FG as an unwillingness to go "all in" at that moment of the game... I didn't agree with the call, but I can see the argument for believing his D was good enough to get the ball back and have a chance at a FG and a TD (+2)... ... however, on the Pats' successive drive, with even more of the clock having ticked away and New England going for it on 4th and 1( :eek: ), the Steelers defense stayed back! The saftey didn't make a presnap committment to stop the run; they stayed back from the line of scrimmage even at that late stage of the game and Kevin Faulk got THE crucial first down that sealed the game...... once you kick that FG and more time passes you have to go ALL IN... in fact that's my primary complaint: when Pittsburgh had a real chance to continue roaring back they failed to go ALL IN when the dynamics of the game obviously demanded itps- why don't teams go deep on NE? against Belicheck, all the trouble is underneath (smart linebackers, tipped passes, etc.)... so if you have a strong-armed rookie QB, just take away the trouble and dictate to the defense: ram it at them with the run and make them worry about the bomb toosorry for the rant, but Belichek deserves better competition from the coaches on the other sideline... nobody ever tries to make him react; and the Steelers seemed to me ideally suited for the task (if only they would have gone after him)

I didn't like the call to go for the field goal. Pittsburgh had all momentum and a 4th down touchdown in that scenario would've put a ton of pressure on the Patriots. It's exactly what your hoping to do to your opponent when you're the home team and your trailing. You need to keep the crowd alive. You need to put doubt in the opposition. I agree it's tough to stomach the thought of giving the ball to the Patriots without scoring any points but if the defense holds you've got the ball on the 50 maybe 2 minutes later. The Play Action on 2nd down was a bad call. I tend to agreee they should've run it 4 straight times but if they were going to play action, it should've been on first down.They played the previous AFC Title game between the Patriots and Steelers all week on the NFL Network. Cowher "went for it" on a 4th and short play in that game too and got stuffed. It completely took the wind out of the Steelers sails while they were attempting a comeback. Also, keep in mind the Steelers went for it on 4th and less than a yard earlier in the game and used their strength .. up the gut running from Bettis, and didn't even come close to making it. Bettis fumbled on the play but he lost yards before losing the ball. I can't help but think that those two plays factored into Cowher's decision to kick the field goal.

Going for the FG on 4th down is a horrible call. Making the TD increases the chances of winning enourmously. Being down only 7 instead of 11 in the 4th quarter is huge. The difference between 11 and 14 is much smaller as they would probably lose anyway. And when the miss, backing NE up to the 2 yard line is still worth something. Playing psychologist to the crowd is a trivial concern at that point. The Steelers need to win the game and that means taking the opportunity to get within a TD. I am just flabbergasted that these simple decisions with millions of dollars on the line are made so sloppily. If I were an owner I would require that my head coach understanding gaming strategy and play the odds.

The decision to kick the FG was terrible. We were screaming at the TV when Reed was going onto the field. You still need 2 tds with or without the FG. THe play calling was just as terrible. Burress fails miserably on those fade routes where he should have the advantage, but mistimes his jump more times than not. If you decide to pass on 2nd down, then in my judgement means you think it is 4 down territory. Why didn't they spread out the Patriots and then could have run or passed with better efficiency. Not to take anything away from the Patriots or their fans, but I think Ben's thumb was bothering him more than what the Steelers were letting on. He didn't throw with the same zip he has all year and the last 2 games his balls were floating on him.

You have to go for it in that situation. You kick the FG you're down by 11 which pretty much equates to having to score two more TDs. You go for it and miss you're down by 14 which means you need to score 2 more TDs. Yo go for and get it, down by 7 with 10 to go.....

I personally place more of the blame on the OC. If you're going to pound with Bettis, you need to do it on three plays in a row. The fade didn't really fit with that strategy, and then giving it to the Bus needing three yards on third down doesn't seem like the best way into the end zone. I am amazed that Pittsburgh didn't call much play-action in the game. NE's linebackers had been cheating up to the line in obvious running downs, and I think they would have bit on a good fake.

I agree with that as well, for the same reason I say to pound it on 3rd and 4th. You're the Steelers - if you can't make 5 yards on three running plays, you know you went out trying to do what you do best.
:goodposting:This is the best response in the whole thread.

So few are acknowledging that they might NOT have made it and gotten zero points. 800 pound Traylor, Bruschi+Vrabel(the heart of the Pats D) and behind them possibly the best hitter ever at S whom just hit him hard the play before. A lob, a screen to Ward....something else coulda worked but I don't think you go up the middle again and score. I also don't think you QB sneak 2 yards and let Harrison get a shot at Roth.There was so much time on the clock and the Steelers had been moving the ball well. The Pats only scored by a gift catch/penalty combo. Momentum was certainly going there way. You are still in take what you can get mode. You don't have to get a TD til the 4th quarter.Next posession one sack....no no, one good hit by the Steeler D and that crowd is on their feet again. Some of you guys act like it was an INT.

So few are acknowledging that they might NOT have made it and gotten zero points. 800 pound Traylor, Bruschi+Vrabel(the heart of the Pats D) and behind them possibly the best hitter ever at S whom just hit him hard the play before. A lob, a screen to Ward....something else coulda worked but I don't think you go up the middle again and score. I also don't think you QB sneak 2 yards and let Harrison get a shot at Roth.There was so much time on the clock and the Steelers had been moving the ball well. The Pats only scored by a gift catch/penalty combo. Momentum was certainly going there way. You are still in take what you can get mode. You don't have to get a TD til the 4th quarter.Next posession one sack....no no, one good hit by the Steeler D and that crowd is on their feet again. Some of you guys act like it was an INT.
Just as a side note, please do not try and include Harrison as the best hitter at S ever when a man named Ronnie Lott played the game.

1) the steelers get more energy from their crowd than any team in the league

2) advantage steelers D
1) the steelers get more energy from their crowd than any team in the league...says who?advantage steelers D...The Steelers D had no advantage whatsoever...41 points in a conference championship? Going for a FG over a TD is a moot point because the Steelers D was non-existent yesterday. They had to actually stop the Pats to make a difference.

I'm pretty sure this exactly the situation those ECON weenies were talking about in the study about coaches not going for it enough on 4th down. Having another team pinned against their goal line generally produces a positive point expectation for your team. I think it was pretty definitively the wrong call, and I don't even think getting the fans jazzed/silent has much to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread