What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wilford expanded role (1 Viewer)

I drafted Reggie Williams in a dynasty draft his rookie year. He has been a complete bust up to this point. I am holding onto him till the end of this year, but I have to say I don't have "high" hopes for him.

Take this for what it is worth (I have no reason not to believe it) but Reggie went into a cell phone store down in Jacksonville in which my friend's wife works. The dude just reeked and was stoned out of his mind. His buddy had to hold him up and pretty much sign him up for the service etc., because Reggie was so out of his mind. Could barely talk.

I don't know if this kind of lifestyle is directly hurting his play (God knows a lot of players hit the ganj), but it can't help.

I picked up Wilford, and he has a better chance at making my roster next year than smokey.
Good insider info here. :thumbup:

So, do we like Ernie more than the other breakout no-name from last week, Roby?  How do either compare to Bryant Johnson?
I would pick up Wilford over Roby. Roby will be of value for this week, then it is the Titans bye week and then hopefully Bennett and Jones will be back from their injuries and Jones will be back to the #2 WR. I am not sure if Jones slot is up for grabs but if Roby has a solid game like last week he could make a strong case.Overall I feel more confident about Wilford's situation so that is why I picked him up.
So, do you think both are better options this week than Bryant Johnson?

Nov 2 Jacksonville Jaguars WR Reggie Williams (head, shoulder) practiced Wednesday, Nov. 2 and is listed as probable for Week 9. Per KFFL

Last edited by a moderator:
I drafted Reggie in a dynasty rookie draft last year, so I've been following both him and Wilford closely. Williams did indeed look great in training camp and I posted all kinds of glowing reports about him in the "Reggie Williams Hype" thread.That being said, Reggie has quickly found his way to my bench. He's clearly got all the tools, but he's got to show me something in a game before I begin to believe in him again. Dominating in practice doesn't win you any FF games.I have picked up Wilford in both of my leagues. Last year, Wilford produced every time he was given a chance. Despite only playing as the 4th or 5th string WR, he managed to score a couple of times. He had multiple games where he caught one ball for a touchdown.I was in the same boat as some others in this thread, where I just didn't see Wilford geting a chance behind Smith, Williams and now Matt Jones. But clearly, Wilford is playing and producing.I've got no choice but to hold on to Williams, as he isn't worth anything at this point. Hopefully he'll see the light and put up some numbers, even if it isn't this season. But for the short term, I'll be writing the Wilford bandwagon.

I drafted Reggie Williams in a dynasty draft his rookie year. He has been a complete bust up to this point. I am holding onto him till the end of this year, but I have to say I don't have high hopes for him.

Take this for what it is worth (I have no reason not to believe it) but Reggie went into a cell phone store down in Jacksonville in which my friend's wife works. The dude just reeked and was stoned out of his mind. His buddy had to hold him up and pretty much sign him up for the service etc., because Reggie was so out of his mind. Could barely talk.

I don't know if this kind of lifestyle is directly hurting his play (God knows a lot of players hit the ganj), but it can't help.

I picked up Wilford, and he has a better chance at making my roster next year than smokey.
:rolleyes:

According to the local paper, Jones is still the WR3... for now.

Jags figuring out receiver rotation

By VITO STELLINO, The Times-Union

Reggie Williams has lofty career goals.

"I want to be the best receiver ever to play the game,'' Williams said Wednesday before practice. "That isn't going to come this season. It's not going to come next season. It's not going to come in four seasons. When I retire, that's going to happen.''

For the moment, however, Williams has more modest goals. With Ernest Wilford set for more playing time, Williams and/or Matt Jones, the Jaguars' first-round draft picks the last two years, will receive less.

So a subplot of this Sunday's home game against the Houston Texans will be how the Jaguars allocate playing time among the three.

Since the Jaguars are 13-point favorites over a 1-6 Houston team that is ranked 31st in the NFL in yardage allowed and 30th in points allowed, how the playing time is divvied up Sunday might not make that much difference in the outcome. However, it could give a sneak preview of how the Jaguars plan to play their receivers during the second half of the season.

But Wednesday before practice, Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio was playing it close to the vest.

"I think there has been enough discussion about playing time for different individuals,'' he said. "I believe in making positions competitive whenever possible. So we'll continue to do that.''

During the first 30 minutes of practice that is open to the media Wednesday, Wilford and Jimmy Smith appeared to be working with the first team while Jones remained the third receiver.

Complicating the situation, however, is the fact Williams is coming back from the concussion he suffered during Sunday's 24-21 loss to the St.Louis Rams. With Williams on the sideline, Wilford had a big game with six catches for 145 yards and one touchdown. Monday, Del Rio said Wilford would receive more playing time.

Although Williams and Del Rio said Wednesday that the wide receiver has recovered, Del Rio said Williams still will undergo more tests, so they might want to be cautious with him in practice. The Jaguars officially listed Williams as probable and said he didn't miss any practice time.

Del Rio indicated Monday that another backup wide receiver, Cortez Hankton, could see some action. But Hankton missed practice Wednesday because of a hamstring injury and is listed as questionable, so he probably won't have an opportunity to play against the Texans.

Wilford said he hasn't been told what his role will be, but Williams and Jones both said they don't have a problem with him having more playing time.

"Ernest is a great receiver," Williams said. "I've seen that since I met him at the [scouting] combine a long time ago [in 2004].''

As far as how the playing time is divided, Williams said, "That's up to the coaches. Everybody wants to help the team win.''

Said Jones: "Ernest has been playing very well. He's made a lot of big catches for us. He definitely needs to have more playing time.''

Despite limited playing time, Wilford has more receiving yards (262) than Williams (246) and Jones (147) this season. Wilford also has three touchdown catches, while Jones has two and Williams none.

When asked how he believes he has played, Williams said, "I think I've done well.''

Said Jones of his performance: "Each week, I think I've gotten better. That's positive. Hopefully, I can continue to do that.''

Jones said he doesn't feel much pressure or that he has to try to live up to the expectations of all the Arkansas fans. He became something of a folk hero at the school with his exploits at quarterback.

"I go out there and play," Jones said. "I have fun. I play hard. I try my best. That's all you can do. The only pressure is the pressure I put on myself.''

vito.stellino@jacksonvile.com, (904) 359-4279

Is Wilford worth dropping Chambers for?  Am I crazy for even thinking about this?  Chambers gets tons of targets, too bad his QB is horrible.
So is Chambers.
Do you ever watch football? Chambers has done very well the last several years despite having absolutely atrocious QB situations each and every year. He makes the difficult catches, he's very athletic, and he is a threat to take it to the house on any given play. If he played on a more prolific passing offense we'd be talking about him with the top 5 WR's in fantasy football.

I drafted Reggie Williams in a dynasty draft his rookie year.  He has been a complete bust up to this point.  I am holding onto him till the end of this year, but I have to say I don't have high hopes for him. 

Take this for what it is worth (I have no reason not to believe it) but Reggie went into a cell phone store down in Jacksonville in which my friend's wife works.  The dude just reeked and was stoned out of his mind.  His buddy had to hold him up and pretty much sign him up for the service etc., because Reggie was so out of his mind.  Could barely talk.

:rolleyes:
:confused:

According to the local paper, Jones is still the WR3... for now."I want to be the best receiver ever to play the game,'' Williams said Wednesday before practice. "That isn't going to come this season. It's not going to come next season. It's not going to come in four seasons. When I retire, that's going to happen.''
:lmao: @ this bust.

I have Holt Curtis, and R Smith on byes, so i picked up Wilford for this week, my recieving core is soooo lame this week with byes and injuries:Start 3 WRS:I can only muster up Wilford and J Porter. :cry: :cry: :cry: dont have anymore roster space.

From KFFL:Jaguars | Wilford Working With First-Team OffenseThu, 3 Nov 2005 12:41:27 -0800Jacksonville Jaguars WR Ernest Wilford worked with the first-team offense Thursday, Nov. 3, but Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio has not named him the starter for Week 9 yet.

:popcorn:

From KFFL:

Jaguars | Wilford Working With First-Team Offense

Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:41:27 -0800

Jacksonville Jaguars WR Ernest Wilford worked with the first-team offense Thursday, Nov. 3, but Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio has not named him the starter for Week 9 yet.

:popcorn:

From KFFL:

Jaguars | Wilford Working With First-Team Offense

Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:41:27 -0800

Jacksonville Jaguars WR Ernest Wilford worked with the first-team offense Thursday, Nov. 3, but Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio has not named him the starter for Week 9 yet.
Why would he practice with the 1st team all week, and then NOT start on Sunday??I say he starts AND has a pretty nice game too.

If you saw the Jags vs. Bengals game on Sunday night football a few weeks back there was some evidence that Leftwich doesn't like Williams. If you remember a play where Williams caught a 10-15yd in route and his helmet fell off and after the play was over he started gloating and pounding his chest.....the camera panned in on Leftwich and he was shaking his head and yelled something at him....not sure if anybody else saw that.......I just don't think Leftwich likes the guy at all!!!! I think part of Wilfords success and possibly his future success has to do with hatred for WIlliams!!!

I remember Wilford at VA Tech. He was one helluva collegiate WR. I think I remember a 4 td game he had v. Syracuse is Sr. season.I honestly thought he was one of the best WR's that came out his year. I think (though not sure) his senior year was the year before Fitzgerald's sophopmore season. Maybe I am comparing the two of them because I honestly remember Wilford making really tough catches.Anyway, when I see him in Jacksonville, I see the same receiving ability. He says he can play football. The kid is right. He can play.My dilemma is I don't have room for him on my roster or I'd pick him up.Take a flyer on him if you can make room.

Picking him up and starting him for one week till Holt comes back. Looks ripe for the pickins this week against the Texans.

Payback not the motive11/2/05By Vic Ketchman, jaguars.com Senior Editor They want play-makers. Byron Leftwich says Ernest Wilford is a play-maker.Will Sunday's game produce Wilford's emergence as the young, play-making wide receiver the Jaguars have tried to find, going all the way back to the selection of R. Jay Soward in the 2000 draft?That would seem to be the sub-plot. The number one question, of course, is can the Jaguars finally beat the Houston Texans, or will the Texans do it to the Jaguars again, as they did twice last season?“They swept us last year. We have to get prepared for a dogfight,” coach Jack Del Rio told reporters on Wednesday, as the Jaguars began preparations for Sunday's AFC South clash at Alltel Stadium.Jacksonville is 4-3 and firmly involved in the AFC playoffs race. Houston is 1-6 and capable of doing little more than achieving respectability in what remains of this season.All thoughts for Jaguars fans, of course, go back to the day after Christmas last year, when the Jaguars were shut out by the Texans in front of a surprisingly small Alltel crowd. Had the Jaguars won that game, they would've made the playoffs.“Worrying about the whipping we took last year isn't going to help us,” Del Rio said.“We can't get into payback and revenge because it gets your mind out of character. We need a win,” quarterback Byron Leftwich said.To help produce that win, Del Rio said on Monday he will increase Wilford's playing time. Del Rio didn't discount the possibility Wilford will be in the starting lineup. Today, however, Del Rio sidestepped questions about Wilford's playing time, obviously unwilling to divulge strategy secrets.“I'm going to leave it at that,” he said of his comments on Monday. “There's been enough discussion about playing time.” Wilford caught six passes for 145 yards and a touchdown in the Jaguars' 24-21 loss in St. Louis last Sunday. Those numbers stand as the best statistical performance by a Jaguars receiver this season.“Ernest has just been making plays since the beginning; since the first game in Buffalo (in 2004),” Leftwich said when asked why he seems to be especially comfortable in throwing Wilford's way. “The ball just comes his way. The thing is I'm comfortable with everybody. Ernest is just a play-maker.”Wilford was the Jaguars' number four wide receiver in St. Louis, but his playing time increased when starter Reggie Williams was sent to the bench with a head injury he sustained early in the game. Del Rio said Williams would practice on Wednesday and expects Williams will be cleared to play this Sunday.“He had the tests done and the signs are good. We anticipate him being able to play,” Del Rio said.So, how much will Wilford play?“I really don't know. All I can do is go out there when my name is called and make plays,” Wilford said.In a reserve role, Wilford has made three touchdown catches this season, which is second to Jimmy Smith's team-leading four touchdown receptions. Wilford's 15 receptions are one fewer than number three receiver Matt Jones' total, but Wilford's yardage is nearly twice as much and Wilford's 17.5 yards-per-catch average leads all wide receivers.“I've always wanted to be a starter. I want to be a Pro-Bowler. I critique myself very hard and I have high expectations,” said Wilford, a fourth-round draft choice last year who has waited without complaint for his playing time to increase.His time would seem to have arrived.

Drafted him in our leagues 2004 rookie draft...This will be my first week starting him since both TO and Boldin are out...Wilford, Horn and Ward just doesn't sound right... Heres hoping for the best...

Drafted him in our leagues 2004 rookie draft...

This will be my first week starting him since both TO and Boldin are out...

Wilford, Horn and Ward just doesn't sound right...

Heres hoping for the best...
I do not think TO will sit this game out. He should play, per the most recent articles on today's practice.

One question: Was R. Jay Soward the guy that sold the cell phone package to a stoned Reggie Williams?

Id go with Justin Gage over Willford. The are very similar and Gage is the clear cut #2. Orton is getting better every game.

Reggie Williams reported no problems after practice on Thursday and he's expected to be ready for this weekend's game. Per The Huddle

I dunno about the rest of you but I think the mods should pin this thread so we know if Wilford is starting or not
:goodposting: here is to hoping that del rio tells us before game time.

I hope I don't regret not starting him tomorrow afternoon........that has to be the worst feeling!!

I hope I don't regret not starting him tomorrow afternoon........that has to be the worst feeling!!
...and as predicted......he had a better day than Kennison......I should have started him!! :wall:

Anybody out there actually watch the game? All I see are the numbers.....did he make good plays, drop balls etc?? Approximately how many targets? any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Users who are viewing this thread