What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Peyton Manning be the Colts new President and GM? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Not sure if he would want the gig, but Irsay should sure as hell find out.  I'm not saying he would be successful but he has to be better than that hack Grigson.

Edited to add:  

it's a high risk, high reward thing.  I'm sure Manning would bring in people he trusts to give him advice on the nuances of the job until he gets on his feet.  He also has the ear of Polian and Dungy.  I'm pretty sure Peyton Manning would be a quick study and with his football mind, he could do wonderful things for the Colts long term.  Yes, now is the time to make this move, while Andrew Luck is still young.  Having said that, Irsay has to be confident in this decision, because if it doesn't work out, he truly would have wasted Luck's prime years.  I think it would work out.  Manning has a wonderful football mind and if experience is all he needs, then I say go for it Irsay.

Edited 2 minutes ago by JohnnyU

Last edited by a moderator:
Co-owner of an arena football team
correct. and he operated the team, which is where the fo experience came.

and when he took over as VP of ops for Denver he had a GM who he kept in place. it wasn't going from the field, taking a year off and then running an NFL franchise. don't get me wrong, as someone who isn't interested in seeing Indy surround Luck with a good team, I'm all for the idea of Manning having total control of the FO immediately.

and when he took over as VP of ops for Denver he had a GM who he kept in place. it wasn't going from the field, taking a year off and then running an NFL franchise. don't get me wrong, as someone who isn't interested in seeing Indy surround Luck with a good team, I'm all for the idea of Manning having total control of the FO immediately.
He has to be better than Grigson and now is the time to go get him.

Elway also had a degree in economics from Stanford and had run a successful chain of auto-dealers for nearly a decade.  Beyond that, his father was a college coach and NFL scout - Elway literally grew up in the back offices of football orginizations.

Manning is a great football mind, but afaik he has zero business experience - a front office role is more business management than football.

If Manning were so inclined, he could certainly work towards that path but it would take years for him to get up to speed on the business side.

Elway also had a degree in economics from Stanford and had run a successful chain of auto-dealers for nearly a decade.  Beyond that, his father was a college coach and NFL scout - Elway literally grew up in the back offices of football orginizations.

Manning is a great football mind, but afaik he has zero business experience - a front office role is more business management than football.

If Manning were so inclined, he could certainly work towards that path but it would take years for him to get up to speed on the business side.
Well at the very least he had an ownership interest and had his name on the business.  Running them, that's a bridge too far for me.

I'm sure he has plenty of experience with running the business that is being Peyton Manning.  You're right, he does have a great football mind and the Colts need to hire him to use it.....again.

Well at the very least he had an ownership interest and had his name on the business.  Running them, that's a bridge too far for me.
per Wikipedia, he owned 5 dealerships and sold them to Autonation for $82.5M.  He still owns four other dealerships - 2 in California and 2 in Colorado.  

I don't know what his day-to-day involvement has been, but it appears to be more than owning a minority share and licensing his name.

Look guys, it's a high risk, high reward thing.  I'm sure Manning would bring in people he trusts to give him advice on the nuances of the job until he gets on his feet.  He also has the ear of Polian and Dungy.  I'm pretty sure Peyton Manning would be a quick study and with his football mind, he could do wonderful things for the Colts long term.  Yes, now is the time to make this move, while Andrew Luck is still young.

Eh, I think your heart's in the right place JohnnyU but, I also think Manning isn't right for that job. I find it hard to believe he'd even be interested in a job as a GM/President. If he is going to be involved at all at the NFL level I would think it would be in some kind of coaching capacity....you know, as maybe a QB Coach. There is absolutely no way he could immediately jump in and be a HC.

Look guys, it's a high risk, high reward thing.  I'm sure Manning would bring in people he trusts to give him advice on the nuances of the job until he gets on his feet.  He also has the ear of Polian and Dungy.  I'm pretty sure Peyton Manning would be a quick study and with his football mind, he could do wonderful things for the Colts long term.  Yes, now is the time to make this move, while Andrew Luck is still young.
Why would Manning take this risk? The odds are against him walking into this role and being successful. If he fails, he may burn his bridges permanently in terms of front office opportunities. If he really wants this, he should take a less visible role where he is being groomed for the job.

Eh, I think your heart's in the right place JohnnyU but, I also think Manning isn't right for that job. I find it hard to believe he'd even be interested in a job as a GM/President. If he is going to be involved at all at the NFL level I would think it would be in some kind of coaching capacity....you know, as maybe a QB Coach. There is absolutely no way he could immediately jump in and be a HC.
I don't want him as the HC, I want him as the GM.

Eh, I think your heart's in the right place JohnnyU but, I also think Manning isn't right for that job. I find it hard to believe he'd even be interested in a job as a GM/President.

If he is going to be involved at all at the NFL level I would think it would be in some kind of coaching capacity....you know, as maybe a QB Coach. There is absolutely no way he could immediately jump in and be a HC.

I don't want him as the HC, I want him as the GM.
I'm sorry. My bad, I was addressing your thoughts/wishes initially then switched to my own. I should have started a new paragraph for my own thoughts about Mannings coaching possibilities. The bolded is where I'm at with regards to GM/Pres possibilities.

In the booth.

He's not coach material either. Maybe passing game consultant, maybe, but again it would just be 'ok be me now....'

Users who are viewing this thread