What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Shanahan Wait One Hour Before Kickoff To Announce Starting RB ? (1 Viewer)

ISUDESTROYERS

Footballguy
I really hope he doesn't wait an hour or 2 before kickoff to announce the starter. The wife, kids and I are out of the house by 9:30am Sunday (to go to church) and typically don't get home until 12pm . This is too late if kickoff is at 12pm.

P.S.

What is Shanahan's standard for announcing his starters? I pray its not 1 hour before kickoff the whole year. I've got Helu for the whole year. He can put up HUGE points this year with RG3 at QB....and don't want to miss out on his production because of Shanahan !

Thoughts/Opinions?

I really hope he doesn't wait an hour or 2 before kickoff to announce the starter. The wife, kids and I are out of the house by 9:30am Sunday (to go to church) and typically don't get home until 12pm . This is too late if kickoff is at 12pm.

P.S.

What is Shanahan's standard for announcing his starters? I pray its not 1 hour before kickoff the whole year. I've got Helu for the whole year. He can put up HUGE points this year with RG3 at QB....and don't want to miss out on his production because of Shanahan !

Thoughts/Opinions?
Hope Helu gets the start week 1 and has a good game....then trade him. You will be dealing with this all season.

Unfortunately Skeletor has waited until the last minute before announcing the starting RB. He pulled that nonsense last year. Its a large headache dealing with Skeletors madness.

I mean this with all sincerity when I say that its really a good idea to avoid ever relying on any WAS RB. As you can see its already a problem for you and we've not even started the season yet. Do you want 16 weeks of this?

I know youre likely in a situation where you have to start him, but the moment you can find an alternative...take it and dont look back.

Last edited by a moderator:
get a phone and/or don't draft redskins running backs. It is going to be a headache all year.
I didn't want to but he was good value in the 10th round due to his potential upside in production. Unfortunately....it doesn't comes with some potential headaches it seems. He is VERY EXPLOSIVE and could be huge with RG3 being the QB.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Would you start Helu if The Rat came out and said he was the starter?

Yes?

Then start him anyway. I can't think of another situation where the "starter" designation means so little.

I just checked my draft list to be sure and I can confirm that there are in fact no running backs on the Redskins this year.

Maybe he took Peterson, Richardson, Matthews, etc. What difference does it make why he has to start a Redskins RB?

This is why you draft Redskins RB late at your own risk knowing it would be a wait and see approach.

It's hilarious that Shanhan pulls this crap every year. Instead of trying to fool everybody maybe he should just put a good game plan together and go out and execute it. Helu could probably be a beast especially in PPR, but who knows what Shanny will do. I agree with the poster that said hope for a good game and then trade.

It's hilarious that Shanhan pulls this crap every year. Instead of trying to fool everybody maybe he should just put a good game plan together and go out and execute it. Helu could probably be a beast especially in PPR, but who knows what Shanny will do. I agree with the poster that said hope for a good game and then trade.
It might just be he hasnt had a single good rb in recent history.

I'm sure the Saints are going crazy this week trying to game plan for each RB on the Redskins roster :rolleyes:

Will it really matter who the starter is? I think all of them will split carries and all will be relatively worthless. Maybe one will show enough over the first few weeks to distinguish himself and earn the bulk of the carries, but I have a feeling it could be RBBC all year long.

I think it will be Morris. in the last game the redskins benched the starters. Morris was benched while helu played. I think Morris will get the start but everyone will get touches. I wouldnt recommend starting any of them but its worth rostering one of them and hoping they have a big game so you can trade them.

Here's another guess .... like all things Shanahan, who really knows ...

8. I think if I had to guess who starts opening day for the Redskins at running back, I'm looking at Mike Shanahan's Olandis Gary-ian history, and I see him playing sixth-round rookie Alfred Morris for nearly the entire first half of the third preseason game, and I see Morris rush for 7.6 yards a carry in the game, and I say: I'd probably go with Morris.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/09/02/mmqb/index.html#ixzz25PNP8ltK

:football:

I think it will be Morris. in the last game the redskins benched the starters. Morris was benched while helu played. I think Morris will get the start but everyone will get touches. I wouldnt recommend starting any of them but its worth rostering one of them and hoping they have a big game so you can trade them.
Helu was banged up all preseason ... was finally healthy enough to take snaps in game #4, and did what he was expected to do .... he shred a bunch of palookas and scrubs. But, better than struggling against same 3rd stringers, no?Guy caught 50 passes last year (including 14 in one game), had a three week stretch of 100+ rushing yards .... most versatile of the 3 left standing, and proven to be effective on all 3 downs.This has the potential to be a very fun offense to watch, and Helu will benefit greatly if healthy.

P.S.

Thoughts/Opinions?
Your worst nightmare

P.S.

Thoughts/Opinions?
shanahan is universally considered to be the fantasy devil, so he is no doubt trying to tempt you into skipping church.

There are FF players who still have nightmares and need psychiatic help for playing this guessing game. For your own sanity, trade or drop all Shanny RBs and walk...nay, run away. You're probably going to need those 6 roster spots anyway.

YWIA.

I actually thought there was a lot of indication which back he would start/use last year. He started off with Hightower, went to Torrain when Hightower, got hurt, switched to Helu when Torrain fell out of favor, then went to Royster when Helu got hurt. I think the only surprise was when Torrain fell out of favor so quickly, so one week in 16 we could not predict the starter.Also, based on the information from preseason, I am pretty certain Helue will not be the starter/main back in week 1. Royster started both games 1 and 4, the only ones we was avaialble due to health. Game 4 he started ahead of Helu. Morris is a possibility, but Shanahan usually likes to work rookies in slowly (like Helu last year).Royster is most likely the starter in week 1. Helu and Morris will probably see plenty of action. Future starter will depend on performance.

I actually thought there was a lot of indication which back he would start/use last year. He started off with Hightower, went to Torrain when Hightower, got hurt, switched to Helu when Torrain fell out of favor, then went to Royster when Helu got hurt. I think the only surprise was when Torrain fell out of favor so quickly, so one week in 16 we could not predict the starter.Also, based on the information from preseason, I am pretty certain Helue will not be the starter/main back in week 1. Royster started both games 1 and 4, the only ones we was avaialble due to health. Game 4 he started ahead of Helu. Morris is a possibility, but Shanahan usually likes to work rookies in slowly (like Helu last year).

Royster is most likely the starter in week 1. Helu and Morris will probably see plenty of action. Future starter will depend on performance.
i dont think that was a surprise given how awful torain had performed as the starter.the surprisingly play was week 4 when torain got 19 carries out of nowhere. i think he had even been cut prior to that. hightower was still healthy, or at least had not torn his acl yet, but iirc, shanny said he looked banged up so he benched him. it was completely out of nowhere.

So.....when he does announce his rb starter, IS IT TYPICALLY AN HOUR OR 2 BEFORE THE GAME.....OR DOES HE ANNOUNCE IT THE DAY BEFORE?

No one has directly answered this specifically. Indirectly it seems Shanny has a pattern of announcing the starter 1-2 hours before kickoff.

Can anybody please clarify and confirm this?

Thanks guys !!!

For what it is worth, from Rotowire...

Evan Royster RB-WAS

9/3, 4:05 pm

Royster is listed as the No. 1 running back on the Redskins' first official depth chart, the team's official site reports. Meanwhile, Roy Helu is listed as the team's No. 2 back, followed by Alfred Morris.

Analysis: It's a good sign for Royster that he is listed as the team's top back, but it's a depth chart presumably written in Mike Shanahan's favorite shade of crayon, "cloudy backfield." For his part, Royster acknowledges the lack of clarity with regards to the Redskins' RB pecking order, noting Monday that "I think they're going to keep us in the dark until probably the day before the game."

:hijacked:

I don't want to sound snarky, but a big part of the issue you are having is your church plans. Before you get riled up, let me tell you that it used to be an issue for me too, until I figured out how to deal with it. The closest church of my religion to my house is 1/2 hour drive, and they only have 1 service, 9:30 AM. Sometimes the service, etc. takes up to 2 hours, so I was rarely home before Noon, and distracted during the whole service, which wasn't very cool. Getting an XM Satellite Radio helped - I could get the most current info on the ride in, and ride back. Getting a laptop with a wireless LAN card allowed me to make decisions on the move...but it wasn't enough, especially once I started playing a TON of National High-Stakes Leagues. Drove me nuts, because I felt like I was letting something material get between me and my relationship with God, which I started feeling uncomfortable about...

Well, there's a Catholic Church right up the road from my house, and they sure do have plenty of services! Monday - Saturday, 6:30AM & 9AM, add an evening service on Saturday 5:30PM, and on Sunday @ 7, 8, 9:30, 11, 12:30...and from what I understand, that's fairly typical for them. For all the issues they might have, the Catholics are pretty savvy about getting folks through the Church doors, no matter how busy or preoccupied their lives are. With that many services, you can't have an excuse!

Personally, I think it's a safe bet that as long as you're taking time out of your busy life to have some 'alone time' with Him, where you're able to focus on what you're supposed to focus on while you're there, God could pretty much care less where and when you go to church, and I don't think He'd have a problem if you have a 'regular schedule' and a 'football season schedule' for church attendance. IMO, you're still prioritizing things properly, and doing a fine job of multi-tasking in the process!

Your wife, on the other hand...well, when it comes to these things, God might just be a little more tolerant.

In any case, personally, I think it's more about 'faith' than 'religion', so my outlook works for me, and I'm pretty sure if it didn't work for The Man Upstairs, he'd find a way to let me know. Just offering you a reasonable solution. I've been doing it this way for years. So far, so good.

:hijacked: over, and good luck!

So.....when he does announce his rb starter, IS IT TYPICALLY AN HOUR OR 2 BEFORE THE GAME.....OR DOES HE ANNOUNCE IT THE DAY BEFORE?

No one has directly answered this specifically. Indirectly it seems Shanny has a pattern of announcing the starter 1-2 hours before kickoff.

Thanks guys !!!
He technically doesn't have to announce anything. Even if he did he can always start someone different. I think I remember one time last year he announced it about 15 minutes prior the start of the game, when he decided that Helu was going to start over Torain.Sorry this will be such a problem for you, but that's what happens when you buy into the Washington backfield.

Thanks guys !!!
I don't think Shanahan ever really announces who is starters are. And I don't think teams generally do it. But once the season starts and we see the performance of the players, we will probably get a good feel for how much each back will play. Sure there could be some surprises. But I am hoping that Royster or Morris can nail down the bulk of the carries as the season progresses. I like my chances as I really do see Helu as more of a 3rd down/change of pace back. And I think they may want to limit his carries with the achillies tendinitis.By the way, based on how drafts are going and looking at these message boards, it looks like more people think Helu will be the starter. I have already written that is will most likely be Royster and he gets first shot to nail down the starters job.

I actually thought there was a lot of indication which back he would start/use last year. He started off with Hightower, went to Torrain when Hightower, got hurt, switched to Helu when Torrain fell out of favor, then went to Royster when Helu got hurt. I think the only surprise was when Torrain fell out of favor so quickly, so one week in 16 we could not predict the starter.
It wasn't all that clear cut. And the key word you use is "predict". It's a pain to have to predict every week. A headache I don't want. Been there done that. But more power to those who can predict correctly.

Here's some more fuel for the fire. Evan Royster doesn't even trust the depth chart. Why should we?

Evan Royster admits he doesn't trust his depth-chart listing as the Redskins' No. 1 running back.

"I think they’re going to keep us pretty much in the dark until probably the day before the game," Royster said. And even that might be ambitious. Royster, Roy Helu, and Alfred Morris are all legitimate candidates to lead the Redskins in carries against the Saints. We'd pick Royster if forced to guess which back ends up with the most, but that could change as soon as tomorrow. The lack of clarity is unfortunate because we fully expect Washington to have rushing success at the Superdome, as long as the game is kept close.

Get out while the season is still early!

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6593/roy-helu

Chris Cooley admitted last season that not even he, as a Redskins player, had a solid grasp on which running back would be starting on a week-by-week basis.

Cooley recalled an experience early last November, when the Redskins were about to play the 49ers. "I walked up to (Ryan) Torain in the locker room and said, ‘Dude, you’re starting on my fantasy team this week. And I’m hoping for a big week. I’m playing my wife," Cooley said. "And he’s like, ‘Oh, cool man. Yeah, I’ll see what I can do." Roy Helu started and totaled 141 yards on 24 touches. "I’m in the locker room and I don’t know who’s starting," Cooley said. "So, it’s kind of a mixup and I’m not exactly sure what we’re doing or who’s going in." Sep 3 - 6:49 PM

Source: CBS Washington

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6593/roy-heluChris Cooley admitted last season that not even he, as a Redskins player, had a solid grasp on which running back would be starting on a week-by-week basis.Cooley recalled an experience early last November, when the Redskins were about to play the 49ers. "I walked up to (Ryan) Torain in the locker room and said, ‘Dude, you’re starting on my fantasy team this week. And I’m hoping for a big week. I’m playing my wife," Cooley said. "And he’s like, ‘Oh, cool man. Yeah, I’ll see what I can do." Roy Helu started and totaled 141 yards on 24 touches. "I’m in the locker room and I don’t know who’s starting," Cooley said. "So, it’s kind of a mixup and I’m not exactly sure what we’re doing or who’s going in." Sep 3 - 6:49 PMSource: CBS Washington
Boy, that really tells you everything you need to know.

http://www.rotoworld...l/6593/roy-helu

Chris Cooley admitted last season that not even he, as a Redskins player, had a solid grasp on which running back would be starting on a week-by-week basis.

Cooley recalled an experience early last November, when the Redskins were about to play the 49ers. "I walked up to (Ryan) Torain in the locker room and said, 'Dude, you're starting on my fantasy team this week. And I'm hoping for a big week. I'm playing my wife," Cooley said. "And he's like, 'Oh, cool man. Yeah, I'll see what I can do." Roy Helu started and totaled 141 yards on 24 touches. "I'm in the locker room and I don't know who's starting," Cooley said. "So, it's kind of a mixup and I'm not exactly sure what we're doing or who's going in." Sep 3 - 6:49 PM

Source: CBS Washington
IMO, that is bad coaching.Make a choice and stick with it.

i am happy to have drafted Royster in the midrounds and even happier that he is listed as Washington's RB#1 on Yahoo. the shark move is to trade him before shanny even gets the chance to throw a curveball. good luck to all who ventured into this eventual mire.

'pecorino said:
i am happy to have drafted Royster in the midrounds and even happier that he is listed as Washington's RB#1 on Yahoo. the shark move is to trade him before shanny even gets the chance to throw a curveball. good luck to all who ventured into this eventual mire.
LOL. Name your price!

I also saw where a local writer said that Morris is going to be there starter this week. I think it was on Rotoworld. Crazy...

Users who are viewing this thread