What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will the Steelers repeat? (1 Viewer)

Will Pittsburgh win Super Bowl XLI?

• Yes, they will be back-to-back champs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, they'll lose in the playoffs

• No, they won't even make the playoffs

• Total voters
The thing that really cracks me up is that the Steelers had to play the roughest slate of playoff games in the history of the NFL just to get out of the AFC and get to the Super Bowl in the first place. That gets conveniently ignored, and because they got the benefit of the referee's discretion on a couple of judgment calls (which were reviewed by the league and the officials' calls supported, by the way) - people feel the need to start polls comparing this team to Super Bowl LOSERS of the past.

Revisionist history, and done solely to get a rise out of Steeler fans. Boys, it's just jealousy.

:towelwave:
:no: When will the whining stop?

why would a steeler fan whine? Their team won the Super Bowl. The whining is initiated by Seahawk fans or people who think they stole the game, and is then rebutted or laughed at by Steeler fans.

nonetheless blue onion, I already explained why there's no reason to get upset about the calls in my previous post. none can be proven absolutely 100% wrong, they were calls that the refs had to use their best judgement on. could've gone either way.

If all 3 of the important ones (ben's TD, locklear holding, and jackson pushing off) had all either been non-calls or overturned, then the STEELERS FANS would've whined about the calls and there would have been people accusing Seattle of getting away with things.

The refs were in a lose-lose situation either way. They just had to use their best judgement at the time.

no way that the pos steelers will get their. big ben is a f**cking ######!

here we go brownies here we go cleveland is going to the super bowl!
Browns fans...... I'd disown this guy if were you. He's making you look even worse.
can they ban people for being idiots?
Don't be so harsh, I like having Dr. Detroit and Blue Onion around to fight with...
Right back at ya Squealer Jr. What was EG72 saying about fans making their teams look bad? :lmao:

why would a steeler fan whine? Their team won the Super Bowl. The whining is initiated by Seahawk fans or people who think they stole the game, and is then rebutted or laughed at by Steeler fans.

nonetheless blue onion, I already explained why there's no reason to get upset about the calls in my previous post. none can be proven absolutely 100% wrong, they were calls that the refs had to use their best judgement on. could've gone either way.

If all 3 of the important ones (ben's TD, locklear holding, and jackson pushing off) had all either been non-calls or overturned, then the STEELERS FANS would've whined about the calls and there would have been people accusing Seattle of getting away with things.

The refs were in a lose-lose situation either way. They just had to use their best judgement at the time.
Are you sure you are not a jw alias? You just jumped right in here like you knew everyone already and it really seems you are more anti Seahawk than pro Steeler. Nice shtick. :thumbup: :fishing:

I'm not an alias. I'm new here.....I don't care if I don't know everybody...I just speak (type, in this case) my mind. :shrug:

I don't really think, though, that I was showing any bias in what I said.

The close calls WERE all judgement calls....and can't be absolutely proven right or wrong because everyone (including refs and other refs) have their own take on what they would have called. One man's "just contact" is another man's "push off." One man's "clearly not in the endzone" is another's "too close to call" or "I think he was in."

I'm not an alias. I'm new here.....I don't care if I don't know everybody...I just speak (type, in this case) my mind. :shrug:

I don't really think, though, that I was showing any bias in what I said.

The close calls WERE all judgement calls....and can't be absolutely proven right or wrong because everyone (including refs and other refs) have their own take on what they would have called. One man's "just contact" is another man's "push off." One man's "clearly not in the endzone" is another's "too close to call" or "I think he was in."
Well Seahawk fans aren't allowed to talk about this stuff at all here because if we say anything, we are cry babies. I just thought this stuff was buried a while back and we moved on but people just keep drudging it up. I have nothing more to say on it as I mentioned before and all it does is just raise temperatures. That's a good fishing technique and most of these trips are being started by people wanting to stir stuff up between fans. If that is not your intention, then I apologize.

Last edited by a moderator:
no way that the pos steelers will get their. big ben is a f**cking ######!

here we go brownies here we go cleveland is going to the super bowl!
Browns fans...... I'd disown this guy if were you. He's making you look even worse.
can they ban people for being idiots?
Don't be so harsh, I like having Dr. Detroit and Blue Onion around to fight with...
Right back at ya Squealer Jr. What was EG72 saying about fans making their teams look bad? :lmao:
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Yeah, I'm ready to let this die as well. From now on I'm going to try to not get into any discussions concerning this....it's over and done with, and in the record books. Let's all look forward to 2006 and the Super Bowl XLI winner...

EDIT: and if it's worth anything to Seahawks fans, with the improvements they've made, I'm having a hard time imaging a different team representing the NFC in SBXLI. You'll get another shot at the title.

I never said I was upset with the calls. The Steelers won the game and I don't see anybody disputing this. What I see being the problem is that Steeler fans put a large precident on respect and have a preconceived notion of how much respect they should get. For whatever reason, their preconceived preceptions are not getting met and it bothers them.I am not a Steeler fan nor Seahawk fan, so I really have no dog in the fight and I am completely confussed on what I would be whining about.

I never said I was upset with the calls. The Steelers won the game and I don't see anybody disputing this. What I see being the problem is that Steeler fans put a large precident on respect and have a preconceived notion of how much respect they should get. For whatever reason, their preconceived preceptions are not getting met and it bothers them.
Steelers fans are just sick of the "refs giving them the game"/"Palmer's injury" crap. When you start blaming the refs or saying they wouldn't have won if so-and-so played, you are whining.Steelers fans have no reason to whine. Our team is the reigning SB champ and have won more games the past two seasons than any other NFL team. If you don't think they're a very good team then go ahead and say it, no one cares. Sure Steelers fans are going to tell you why they think you are wrong but go ahead and post something negative about the Seahawks, Colts, or just about any team and you will hear from their fans, too. That is what fans do...

I never said I was upset with the calls. The Steelers won the game and I don't see anybody disputing this. What I see being the problem is that Steeler fans put a large precident on respect and have a preconceived notion of how much respect they should get. For whatever reason, their preconceived preceptions are not getting met and it bothers them.
Steelers fans are just sick of the "refs giving them the game"/"Palmer's injury" crap. When you start blaming the refs or saying they wouldn't have won if so-and-so played, you are whining....
My question is, why in God's name would this bother you?

The thing that really cracks me up is that the Steelers had to play the roughest slate of playoff games in the history of the NFL just to get out of the AFC and get to the Super Bowl in the first place.  That gets conveniently ignored, and because they got the benefit of the referee's discretion on a couple of judgment calls (which were reviewed by the league and the officials' calls supported, by the way) - people feel the need to start polls comparing this team to Super Bowl LOSERS of the past.

Revisionist history, and done solely to get a rise out of Steeler fans.  Boys, it's just jealousy.

You tell me. I stopped discussing this months ago - I'm not the one continuing to needle people with my polls.

The thing that really cracks me up is that the Steelers had to play the roughest slate of playoff games in the history of the NFL just to get out of the AFC and get to the Super Bowl in the first place.  That gets conveniently ignored, and because they got the benefit of the referee's discretion on a couple of judgment calls (which were reviewed by the league and the officials' calls supported, by the way) - people feel the need to start polls comparing this team to Super Bowl LOSERS of the past.

Revisionist history, and done solely to get a rise out of Steeler fans.  Boys, it's just jealousy.

You tell me. I stopped discussing this months ago - I'm not the one continuing to needle people with my polls.
Somebody asked a question, I commented. :shrug:

I never said I was upset with the calls. The Steelers won the game and I don't see anybody disputing this. What I see being the problem is that Steeler fans put a large precident on respect and have a preconceived notion of how much respect they should get. For whatever reason, their preconceived preceptions are not getting met and it bothers them.I am not a Steeler fan nor Seahawk fan, so I really have no dog in the fight and I am completely confussed on what I would be whining about.
I don't know what that means, but maybe someday your boys will win a title after years of toil and you'll be ready to bask in the glow of victory. Then, maybe a bunch of people will suggest it was somehow handed to you, thus intentionally or inadvertantly devaluing the entire thing. See how you feel then, and you'll understand why some fans got a little defensive about it. Especially when it's months later and people are still pointing to polls comparing your Super Bowl Champions to losers of the past decade.This :shrug: and "I don't know why you're getting upset....." shtick is amusing, though.

Somebody asked a question, I commented. :shrug:
And even as I typed the above response, yet another :shrug: :lmao:

I don't know what that means, but maybe someday your boys will win a title after years of toil and you'll be ready to bask in the glow of victory. Then, maybe a bunch of people will suggest it was somehow handed to you, thus intentionally or inadvertantly devaluing the entire thing. See how you feel then, and you'll understand why some fans got a little defensive about it. Especially when it's months later and people are still pointing to polls comparing your Super Bowl Champions to losers of the past decade.This :shrug: and "I don't know why you're getting upset....." shtick is amusing, though.
That is what kills me, I wouldn't care what others thought as long as a Super Bowl was obtained. I am completely baffled why somebody else's opinion would have an influence on my emotions in regards to the outcome of a game.You either win or you lose. Arguing style points is very un-Steeler like.

That is what kills me, I wouldn't care what others thought as long as a Super Bowl was obtained. I am completely baffled why somebody else's opinion would have an influence on my emotions in regards to the outcome of a game.You either win or you lose. Arguing style points is very un-Steeler like.
If your team ever wins one in your lifetime, and the ensuing furor develops as it did this year, then you can be qualified to make that statement.What baffles me is why you continue to try to devalue the Steeler championship. Did Cowher steal your girlfriend years ago or something? Let it go, man. Besides which, I am long past caring about what others think of the win - I was irritated by it initially, but that's old news. What's annoying is that you think we're dumb enough to believe that your pointed statements/polls/whatever are as innocuous as you portend.

What baffles me is why you continue to try to devalue the Steeler championship.
This is where you miss the boat because I am not trying to devalue the Steelers' championship. This would be like me accusing you of trying to inflate the Steelers' championship.I just don't feel the Steelers' body of work in Super Bowl XL was all that impressive. I will still go on record and say the Steelers' body of work in their Super Bowl loss to the Cowboys was more impressive than their Super Bowl win over the Seahawks. I don't think my opinion is the minority and why Steeler fans would like this opinion to go away completely baffles me.

Personally, I think Steeler fans are more concerned with style points than they are with championships, which is not the Steeler fan I have grown to appreciate.

This is where you miss the boat because I am not trying to devalue the Steelers' championship. This would be like me accusing you of trying to inflate the Steelers' championship.I just don't feel the Steelers' body of work in Super Bowl XL was all that impressive. I will still go on record and say the Steelers' body of work in their Super Bowl loss to the Cowboys was more impressive than their Super Bowl win over the Seahawks. I don't think my opinion is the minority and why Steeler fans would like this opinion to go away completely baffles me.

Personally, I think Steeler fans are more concerned with style points than they are with championships, which is not the Steeler fan I have grown to appreciate.
I don't even disagree with you on that. I don't think any Steeler fan feels like they played a great game in the Super Bowl. The offense was asleep for a quarter and a half before coming to life. The defense played very well all game long, however, and only a Roethlisberger blunder kept the game from getting out of hand in the third quarter. I think it was a better win than some are giving them credit for, but let's not forget the road taken to get there. People focusing on a performance in one game are missing the bigger picture. That's all I am saying, and why all this asterisk crap is really moronic.That said, it's really more tiresome than anything at this point.

I don't think my opinion is the minority and why Steeler fans would like this opinion to go away completely baffles me.
You're perfectly entitled to your opinion. Please post it in every thread that ever comes up between now until the time you die. Hell, have it engraved on your tombstone. Let EVERYONE know. :thumbup: I'd call you a one-trick pony but you did have some solid, insightful posts when the CBA talks were going on, so I can't do that. But other than that, every post I've seen of yours in the last three months is essentially the same. I don't fault you for your opinion, I don't care that much. However, Nobody likes a parrot, and thats what you're borderlining on now.

I don't even disagree with you on that. I don't think any Steeler fan feels like they played a great game in the Super Bowl. The offense was asleep for a quarter and a half before coming to life. The defense played very well all game long, however, and only a Roethlisberger blunder kept the game from getting out of hand in the third quarter. I think it was a better win than some are giving them credit for, but let's not forget the road taken to get there. People focusing on a performance in one game are missing the bigger picture. That's all I am saying, and why all this asterisk crap is really moronic.That said, it's really more tiresome than anything at this point.
You know I like you. And it pains me to argue with you. It all comes down to perception; your perception is different from mine.

- You and I differ on the body of work displayed by the Steelers in their Super Bowl win.

- You will categorize a negative comment about the Steelers Super Bowl performance as an asterisk but then offer a qualifier to referencing their path to the Super Bowl. Is an asterisk all that different from a qualifer?

- Whose perception is correct? Am I devaluing the Steelers Super Bowl performance or are you inflating it?

I agree it is all moronic because we are talking about perceptions which are not measureable. My point has been, why are Steeler fans concerning themselves more with a perceived creditibility entitlement then with their actual championship?

I don't think my opinion is the minority and why Steeler fans would like this opinion to go away completely baffles me.
You're perfectly entitled to your opinion. Please post it in every thread that ever comes up between now until the time you die. Hell, have it engraved on your tombstone. Let EVERYONE know. :thumbup: I'd call you a one-trick pony but you did have some solid, insightful posts when the CBA talks were going on, so I can't do that. But other than that, every post I've seen of yours in the last three months is essentially the same. I don't fault you for your opinion, I don't care that much. However, Nobody likes a parrot, and thats what you're borderlining on now.
Noted.

Steelers Schedule:

Sep 7 Miami 8:30pm

Sep 18 @Jacksonville 8:30pm

Sep 24 Cincinnati 1:00pm

Week 4 BYE

Oct 8 @San Diego 8:15pm

Oct 15 Kansas City 4:15pm

Oct 22 @Atlanta 1:00pm

Oct 29 @Oakland 5:15pm

Nov 5 Denver 5:15pm

Nov 12 New Orleans 2:00pm

Nov 19 @Cleveland 2:00pm

Nov 26 @Baltimore 2:00pm

Dec 3 Tampa Bay 2:00pm

Dec 7 Cleveland 9:00pm

Dec 17 @Carolina 2:00pm

Dec 24 Baltimore 2:00pm

Dec 31 @Cincinnati 2:00pm

Hmm. Thought their schedule would be tougher. No Indy, no NE- Denver and KC at home. Depending on how Cinci looks this year 13-3 shouldnt be too lofty a goal.

I have to say the Steelers have no reason not to be right there come playoff time. Odds on favorite for sure.

You know I like you. And it pains me to argue with you. It all comes down to perception; your perception is different from mine.

- You and I differ on the body of work displayed by the Steelers in their Super Bowl win.

- You will categorize a negative comment about the Steelers Super Bowl performance as an asterisk but then offer a qualifier to referencing their path to the Super Bowl. Is an asterisk all that different from a qualifer?

- Whose perception is correct? Am I devaluing the Steelers Super Bowl performance or are you inflating it?

I agree it is all moronic because we are talking about perceptions which are not measureable. My point has been, why are Steeler fans concerning themselves more with a perceived creditibility entitlement then with their actual championship?
I think the problem is that the line has been blurred between those who are merely saying the Steelers did not play a great game vs. Seattle and those who are insinuating that somehow this was a "gift championship."I like you too, and if your contention is strictly that the Steelers turned in a subpar effort in the Super Bowl, I won't disagree. They were not at their best, and there's nothing shameful in that. They had just gone through the hardest road to the big game that any team had ever endured, by any measurable.

If your contention, however, is that they were "gifted" a win, or that the team's achievements as a whole were unimpressive, as it often seems you are, then I take issue with that. Many NFL "experts" and fans would have given you Indianapolis, Seattle, Denver, and Cincinnati as the 4 best teams in the NFL at the end of the regular season and the Steelers beat all of them, by an average of over 11 ppg. To me, that's as impressive as it gets. If you disagree, fine, but all the talk of "worst Super Bowl team in the last 20 years" or "Stealers" is garbage, and indicative of a viewpoint which is at worst biased, and at best, extremely myopic.

Well said. Don't be that guy, man.... you have too much to offer the Shark Pool to dwell on these theoreticals.

I think the problem is that the line has been blurred between those who are merely saying the Steelers did not play a great game vs. Seattle and those who are insinuating that somehow this was a "gift championship."I like you too, and if your contention is strictly that the Steelers turned in a subpar effort in the Super Bowl, I won't disagree. They were not at their best, and there's nothing shameful in that. They had just gone through the hardest road to the big game that any team had ever endured, by any measurable.

If your contention, however, is that they were "gifted" a win, or that the team's achievements as a whole were unimpressive, as it often seems you are, then I take issue with that. Many NFL "experts" and fans would have given you Indianapolis, Seattle, Denver, and Cincinnati as the 4 best teams in the NFL at the end of the regular season and the Steelers beat all of them, by an average of over 11 ppg. To me, that's as impressive as it gets. If you disagree, fine, but all the talk of "worst Super Bowl team in the last 20 years" or "Stealers" is garbage, and indicative of a viewpoint which is at worst biased, and at best, extremely myopic.
That's god-damn right

That's god-damn right
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: 1st 6th seed team ever, they had to win 3 road playoff games to get there. Talking about bad calls, I think that the Steelers had their fair share during the playoffs ex. Indy & the Polamalu interception (one of the worst ever).

Be proud Steeler fans!

I will say it one better! They won;t only not make playoffs. They will finnish last in their division! And lose to BROWNS twice!

I will say it one better! They won;t only not make playoffs. They will finnish last in their division! And lose to BROWNS twice!
Did your mom forget to lock your cage when she left for work this morning?

Somewhere off in the distance, that small popping sound you hear is Smoo's head exploding.

I will say it one better!  They won;t only not make playoffs. They will finnish last in their division!  And lose to BROWNS twice!
I think that in order to be a card-carrying member of Browns Nation, that you have to score either below 80 on a standardized IQ test, or legitimately fail a 3rd-grade composition exam.

Users who are viewing this thread