What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Willis McGahee not expected to start or be "featured" (1 Viewer)

I don't understand why this is really news.

The guy had knee surgery.

He's working his way back.

They have two other capable alternatives to lessen his workload for now.

And when he's all the way back, he's the best RB on the roster, including Rice.

He'll be starting and carrying 70% of the load again within 2 or 3 weeks, as soon as he shows he's capable.
:P I don't know why this is so hard to understand. You're not going to get a "Willis is 100% the guy" in time to make a decision for this game. It's not going to happen folks. He may go off, he may not. No one knows (& won't by 4:15 today either) how ready he is. Start or bench him at your own risk, but we're going to have to watch the game to see what the reality is. I certainly wouldn't play him if I had any kind of alternative.
exactomundo. :thumbup:

I fully expect Baltimore to run 30+ times in this game. Giving McGahee a "handful" leaves a lot of carries for Ray Rice or LeRon McClain. Too bad we didn't get to see them play week two to get more of an idea the distribution between those two. Wk.1 McClain had 19 carries, 2 catchesWk.1 Rice had 22 carries, 3 catches. Here's an interesting stat - McClain had 14 of his 19 carries AFTER the 2:46 mark in the third quarter. 14 carries in the last ~17 minutes of the game. Rice already had 19 touches at that point. The ratio for the first 43 minutes was 19:7 in favor of Rice. For the last 17 minutes, the ratio was 14:5 in favor of McClain.What do I make of this dramatic shift?1) Cameron not wanting to wear down Rice in his first game2) The score being 17-3 at the time of the primary ball carrier shifting from Rice to McClain3) Rice 4th quarter fumble returned by Cincy for a TD making it 17-10. This was a convoluted scene BEFORE McGahee re-entered the picture. I really wanted to see the Baltimore ground game in week two, but Ike ruined that...I think there is value here. Cameron gets production from the RB position, and McGahee/Rice/McClain = Talent. Making a guess: Baltimore runs 32 times. If Willis gets his "handful" - I'll venture 10 carries - that leaves ~22 for the other guys. Rice gets most all of that, as he did previous to the shift when he hit 20 touches in the late 3rd against Cincy. Maybe a 15-7 split with McClain.I hate that LT and McFadden made me have to try to figure this out for week 3...sigh...

menobrown said:
JohnnyU said:
two_dollars said:
I don't own the guy, but I do like the guy. It's really too bad the coaching staff in Baltimore is so stupid, or holds things too personally. When they figure out McGahee is their best chance to win, they'll have to put him in regardless. I really hope he gets out of that offensive black hole called Baltimore and gets to a place that can use his talents before it's too late.
You will soon find out that Ray Rice is better than Willis McGahee. The knee is what it is.
His knee is fine. After 380 carries last season, a strenuous off season spent getting in shape for the his pro workouts and being forced to log most of the carries during training camp it's Ray Rice who I expect to fade.
That's having a good attitude about your guy, but that doesn't make it so. Good luck on Sundays.
You are one of the most condescending posters on here. Probably why nobody listens to your opinions. You must not have seen where the great Ray Rice was shown up by a fullback against the lowly Bengals a few weeks ago.
He said a few months ago he wasn't coming back to the Shark Pool after he got a time out, and he also got busted using alias accounts that would support one another in threads. Why can't people do what they say they are going to do?
I posted for everyone to see that Hoss_Cartwright was JohnnyU. I didn't hide that fact. I just liked the different alias and was tired of the old one. Now I usually post as JohnnyU from home and Hoss from work. Hey, just because I believe that Ray Rice is better than McGahee, I don't deserve that kind of reply. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks McGahee is on borrowed time in Baltimore.

Last edited by a moderator:
menobrown said:
JohnnyU said:
two_dollars said:
I don't own the guy, but I do like the guy. It's really too bad the coaching staff in Baltimore is so stupid, or holds things too personally. When they figure out McGahee is their best chance to win, they'll have to put him in regardless. I really hope he gets out of that offensive black hole called Baltimore and gets to a place that can use his talents before it's too late.
You will soon find out that Ray Rice is better than Willis McGahee. The knee is what it is.
His knee is fine. After 380 carries last season, a strenuous off season spent getting in shape for the his pro workouts and being forced to log most of the carries during training camp it's Ray Rice who I expect to fade.
That's having a good attitude about your guy, but that doesn't make it so. Good luck on Sundays.
You are one of the most condescending posters on here. Probably why nobody listens to your opinions. You must not have seen where the great Ray Rice was shown up by a fullback against the lowly Bengals a few weeks ago.
I assure you this is incorrect.

I posted for everyone to see that Hoss_Cartwright was JohnnyU. I didn't hide that fact. I just liked the different alias and was tired of the old one. Now I usually post as JohnnyU from home and Hoss from work.
I'm not talking about Hoss Cartwright. I'm talking about when you would use the Green Apple Splatter alias, and another one. You know what I'm talking about.

Lets say you have to start at least 1 of these guys.

WDIS - McGahee, Rice or McClain?

This is a WDIS but very relevant to this thread.

I posted for everyone to see that Hoss_Cartwright was JohnnyU. I didn't hide that fact. I just liked the different alias and was tired of the old one. Now I usually post as JohnnyU from home and Hoss from work.
I'm not talking about Hoss Cartwright. I'm talking about when you would use the Green Apple Splatter alias, and another one. You know what I'm talking about.
I'm not going down that road in this thread, because frankly, it has nothing to do with McGahee. I'm not sure why I bother you so much. I have stated since April that I believe Harbaugh prefers Ray Rice in his scheme, and that I believe McGahee's knee is still a problem.

Lets say you have to start at least 1 of these guys. WDIS - McGahee, Rice or McClain?This is a WDIS but very relevant to this thread.
I'm going with Willis. I've been wrong before, but I can't help thinking that a lot of this is just a smokescreen. He was active in game 1, and with 2 more weeks of rest he should be ready to go - this is backed up by the injury report. I'm rolling the dice and giving him the start this week, but looking at the "projections" I'm definitely going against the grain here.

Lets say you have to start at least 1 of these guys. WDIS - McGahee, Rice or McClain?This is a WDIS but very relevant to this thread.
I'm going with Willis. I've been wrong before, but I can't help thinking that a lot of this is just a smokescreen. He was active in game 1, and with 2 more weeks of rest he should be ready to go - this is backed up by the injury report. I'm rolling the dice and giving him the start this week, but looking at the "projections" I'm definitely going against the grain here.
I'm stuck with Willis, McClain, or Chris Perry. I feel like putting down a '4' and calling it a day. :pickle:

Here is my impression.

I have this RBBC and have been following them all pre-season in the news and on the tube. 15 player IDP league with R. Bush and K. Smith as my # 1 and # 2 backs. So my decision of which of the three to play this week as my RB/WR was a fun but challenging choice and I'm going with Rice this week. I've almost been tempted to simply start all three but Bush has shown his ridiculous potential.... This RBBC is a good option and will only get better thanks to the true Genius when properly equipped of Cam Cameron (anyone remember LT's numbers or the Chargers in general in 2006) it was all how Cameron programmed his pawns. Now that hes out of the Miami Abyss and has a steamroller defense and a solid rookie in Flacco and a veteran receiving corps.... watch out for the playoffs they're going to be good.

No doubt that McGahee is a stud but he is going to be eased in and I don't see him getting 10 carries this week. I do see him taking over duties around week 7 or 8 and demolishing defenses as he is just getting into form while tired linebackers and defenses have been getting hammered all across the league and McGahee will be fresh and intensely focused on impressing and getting his title and paycheck back. Don't question Willis McGahee he is a true Hurricane and his dedication to being one of the greats when it's all said and done won't be lost. He did come in to pre-season as he says out of shape - it's expected after such a battering and pro bowl worthy season. He had to rest this offseason and heal those explosive knees, I mean honestly this is his 6th year and even though he's only 26 most RB's are done after 4 professional seasons of NFL football. Believe this is all according to plan and Willis is a monster when healthy and behing some big blockers...... in Miami after having his knee rebuilt the amount of rehab and work he put in raised his threshold of pain and put his work emphasis on a plateau once you've done that you don't lose it. Don't doubt this guy cause hes gonna rip in the second half of the season and that's why I took a risk a drafted him as my third RB in the early rounds.

And not to mention the other two Rice is a beast at 5'8'' and 205 and LeRon is another bowling ball to add to the mix. Yikes all the rushing weapons for Cam Im sure their first three picks next year will be on the OLine.

I see the carries breaking down this way

Rice = 20 or more carries

LeRon = 10 to 15

McGahee = maybe 10

Also for the passing Rice has softer hands, 3 straight starting season at Rutgers have developed his well rounded skills. Until Willis is running at 100% (week 7 or 8) play Rice for now but switch to McGahee eventually.

As for the Cameron gameplan this is what I see happening.

It's all going to be runs with 5-10 yard slants and underneath routes to the RB and TE as Flacco the rookie gets groomed and handled with kid gloves. So the running corps will get it's touches and fantasy points, no change for the reas of the season either. Flacco has proved himself worthy in the preseason and in the first game, if this wasn't the case they would have been shopping a long time ago for a quick fix (Pennington, Harrington or even Favre etc...)

It should be fun to see it all play it anyway it goes. Good luck y'all

I would say "gonig with Willis" means you dont have other options. For your sake, i hope it works out as this is the most questionable situation in the league other than OAK.

I am going rice anyways until I see Mcgahee play
I agree, and if we're wrong, it's a one week mistake. The real problem is McClain. I'm hoping his week 1 totals were a fluke. After all, he is a 260 lb guy for crying out loud. I don't see a lot of carries in his future, but I could be wrong I guess.

I agree, and if we're wrong, it's a one week mistake. The real problem is McClain. I'm hoping his week 1 totals were a fluke. After all, he is a 260 lb guy for crying out loud. I don't see a lot of carries in his future, but I could be wrong I guess.
I'm playing Willis over LenDale and Michael Bush. I think the gets 18 carries and produces today :confused:

I'm playing Willis over LenDale and Michael Bush. I think the gets 18 carries and produces today :excited:
You might very well be right, but I'm swinging the other way today. Good luck.

I'm playing Willis over LenDale and Michael Bush. I think the gets 18 carries and produces today :excited:
You might very well be right, but I'm swinging the other way today. Good luck.
we shall see sir. Good luck to you.

gregjcross said:
CiscoKid said:
J-Rock said:
I would say "gonig with Willis" means you dont have other options. For your sake, i hope it works out as this is the most questionable situation in the league other than OAK.
I have (and had, since the 1:00 games already started) other options - Chris Perry at RB, Antonio Bryant at WR along with some others. Perry's having a decent day so far, so we'll see how it works out - I still think it'll turn out ok, but I'm locked in now.... I specifically didn't list my options, though, because the original poster stated "McGahee, Rice or McClain?"....

Kickoff coming shortly for McGahee owners. I haven't heard anything new in the media on this subject. Has anyone else?

So far it looks like he's been featured. 10 carries for 37 yards and a touch plus an 11 yard reception, while Rice has 2 rushes for 0 yards and McClain has 2 rushes for 21 yards. I think the wait and see approach was correct for people who benched him this week, but assuming he stays healthy, he'll probably be usable as early as next week.

Looks like McGahee is BACK!! and I was wrong. Rice may not be a factor at all today. Good news for McGahee owners if only the knee holds up.

Users who are viewing this thread