What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Winning A Game To Get Better Playoff Matchup (1 Viewer)

Mr. Know-It-All

Footballguy
A lot of people seem to ask the question if they should throw a game to get another team into the playoffs or set up a better first round matchup.

What if you are already locked into a seed but by beating a team in the final week you get a better matchup in the first round of the playoffs. Should you gp ahead and field your best team to make that happen or should you tank to get a harder matchup?

I dont understand your question but I field the best team I can no matter what the cirumstance.

A lot of people seem to ask the question if they should throw a game to get another team into the playoffs or set up a better first round matchup.What if you are already locked into a seed but by beating a team in the final week you get a better matchup in the first round of the playoffs. Should you gp ahead and field your best team to make that happen or should you tank to get a harder matchup?
I think you should run up the score. That'll show those #######.

do whatever you want. The best teams in the NFl rest their studs in week 17 and 18 and that isnt considered tanking. Do what you need to do in order to win your championship and who gives an eff what other people think .

do whatever you want. The best teams in the NFl rest their studs in week 17 and 18 and that isnt considered tanking. Do what you need to do in order to win your championship and who gives an eff what other people think .
Heck, even bad teams like the Lions, Chiefs & Bengals rest their studs week 18. :kicksrock:

If I was you, I would go ahead and bench my studs. No sense in wasting them on a meaningless game once you've got a playoff berth locked up. Better to save them for next week, when you really need them.

If I was you, I would go ahead and bench my studs. No sense in wasting them on a meaningless game once you've got a playoff berth locked up. Better to save them for next week, when you really need them.
The two are really mutually exclusive, yes?I had a little trouble understanding what you meant. Personally, I really just want to win every week. But, if you want to focus on the matchup, I still think you need to just do all you can to win, and the let the rest take care of itself. If you are really considering, look at the guy you would play if you did win. Will he get more points in the 1st week you'll face him if you do win, or more points later on if you meet down the road in the playoffs? You eventually have to beat him to win it all, and it'd suck to lose to avoid him, and then get your ### kicked, when you could have won originally.

That was my line of thinking as well. Romo isn't fully recovered and an extra week off should have him splint free for the Week 15 matchup. Bush could use another week off to get the knee healthier. If I rest everyone next week, I should have a much more dominant team.

The two are really mutually exclusive, yes?I had a little trouble understanding what you meant. Personally, I really just want to win every week. But, if you want to focus on the matchup, I still think you need to just do all you can to win, and the let the rest take care of itself. If you are really considering, look at the guy you would play if you did win. Will he get more points in the 1st week you'll face him if you do win, or more points later on if you meet down the road in the playoffs? You eventually have to beat him to win it all, and it'd suck to lose to avoid him, and then get your ### kicked, when you could have won originally.
I think you have to take random variation into account here. Your good players could have a bad game, and your bad players could have a good game. Now, in a game where you are depending on your good players to secure the better matchup for you in the playoffs, you have to consider regression to the mean and statistical abnormalities; therefore, you need a computational model which accounts for multinomial abnormalities, with a prediction for continuous response. Now, if you were to use the back propagation method, adjusting the weight of the vectors and calculating the network output, you may be able to, by statistical inference, have a flexible non-linear regression interconnected with the playoff scenario.

I think you have to take random variation into account here. Your good players could have a bad game, and your bad players could have a good game. Now, in a game where you are depending on your good players to secure the better matchup for you in the playoffs, you have to consider regression to the mean and statistical abnormalities; therefore, you need a computational model which accounts for multinomial abnormalities, with a prediction for continuous response. Now, if you were to use the back propagation method, adjusting the weight of the vectors and calculating the network output, you may be able to, by statistical inference, have a flexible non-linear regression interconnected with the playoff scenario.
I disagree with you on that middle part.

That was my line of thinking as well. Romo isn't fully recovered and an extra week off should have him splint free for the Week 15 matchup. Bush could use another week off to get the knee healthier. If I rest everyone next week, I should have a much more dominant team.
This is excellent strategy. the only possible glitch is if somehow Bush gets physically transmogrified between now and kickoff. Romo on the other hand will have the long layoff which will enhance his healing.

I disagree with you on that middle part.
You have a point.

Week 18 is the first week of the playoffs?I consider it tanking. It is like going to an AC/DC concert and finding out it is a Tribute Band.

I agreed with you up to the point that I realized it was a run-on sentence. Now that your compositional ability has been brought into question, I am not sure how I can trust your statistical theory.

Week 18 is the first week of the playoffs?I consider it tanking. It is like going to an AC/DC concert and finding out it is a Tribute Band.
sorry, you know what i mean. the last couple weeks of reg season.

I agreed with you up to the point that I realized it was a run-on sentence. Now that your compositional ability has been brought into question, I am not sure how I can trust your statistical theory.
That is not being excellent guy I am tempted to report you to Joe who is the ultimate arbiter on these matters.

I've read that "in order to be the best you've got to beat the best." Therefore, you should lose this game and give yourself the harder playoff matchup. Avoiding the harder opponent is not manly and karma will get you.

A lot of people seem to ask the question if they should throw a game to get another team into the playoffs or set up a better first round matchup.What if you are already locked into a seed but by beating a team in the final week you get a better matchup in the first round of the playoffs. Should you gp ahead and field your best team to make that happen or should you tank to get a harder matchup?
I think you should run up the score. That'll show those #######.
:rolleyes:

I play my best team every week to try to get the high score and high players of the week not to mention the money for winning the game that particular week.

Ozymandias said:
Mr. Know-It-All said:
Ozymandias said:
Jon_Moore said:
IvanKaramazov said:
That is not being excellent guy I am tempted to report you to Joe who is the ultimate arbiter on these matters.
Don't forget the "player coming back from injury/benching/suspension and needs a start or two to prove he is ready to return to your lineup" factor.

This thread is so stupid.

Should you win a game to get yourself a better playoff matchup...

Of course you go for the win to get yourself a better matchup. The OP is a complete idiot... how old are you, 14?

Poor sportsmanship for trying to WIN a game to BETTER YOUR team? Poor sportsmanship is throwing a game to get yourself a better matchup

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is so stupid.Should you win a game to get yourself a better playoff matchup... Of course you go for the win to get yourself a better matchup. The OP is a complete idiot... how old are you, 14?Poor sportsmanship for trying to WIN a game to BETTER YOUR team? Poor sportsmanship is throwing a game to get yourself a better matchup
Doctor, Doctor :thumbup:

This thread is so stupid.Should you win a game to get yourself a better playoff matchup... Of course you go for the win to get yourself a better matchup. The OP is a complete idiot... how old are you, 14?Poor sportsmanship for trying to WIN a game to BETTER YOUR team? Poor sportsmanship is throwing a game to get yourself a better matchup
All fishing threads have no place in the Shark Pool. Utterly ridiculous post:reported:

This thread is so stupid.

Should you win a game to get yourself a better playoff matchup...

Of course you go for the win to get yourself a better matchup. The OP is a complete idiot... how old are you, 14?

Poor sportsmanship for trying to WIN a game to BETTER YOUR team? Poor sportsmanship is throwing a game to get yourself a better matchup
All fishing threads have no place in the Shark Pool. Utterly ridiculous post:reported:
Reported, hell. This is a job for the authorities. [cartman]You will respect my authoritay![/cartman]

Doctor, Doctor :popcorn:
:lmao:

This thread is a perfect example of the atmosphere of the Shark Pool recently. Guys are so anxious to come in and rip somebody, that they can't even pick up on what the OP is saying.

And, if you want to kill Mr. KIA for throwing a mocking thread in the Pool, it's still better than reading the 100+ posts about tanking a late-season game to improve your playoff seed.

Lighten up, Frances!!

I think I understand what you are getting at. I should start my best players?

I think I understand what you are getting at. I should start my best players?
What you could try is to drop your bench players and pick up FA players and play them. Might be something worth trying

At some point you need to play your backups to see what you have for the future. Your studs will obviously be asking for more money next year and you need to see who you can afford to let go in free agency. It is only prudent to rest your studs and give some other guys a their "shot" (not Plaxico Burress though).

You probably don't really care who you play in the post-season. All the teams are good and if you focus on the fundamentals and execute you can beat anyone. Just take it one game at a time.

At some point you need to play your backups to see what you have for the future. Your studs will obviously be asking for more money next year and you need to see who you can afford to let go in free agency. It is only prudent to rest your studs and give some other guys a their "shot" (not Plaxico Burress though).You probably don't really care who you play in the post-season. All the teams are good and if you focus on the fundamentals and execute you can beat anyone. Just take it one game at a time.
That's true. As long as you remember that on any given day...

Jon_Moore said:
IvanKaramazov said:
:football:

Users who are viewing this thread