What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WIS V All-Time Baseball Draft: HARRRRRRRIFIC (1 Viewer)

Mrharrier's point about "best seasons versus best seasons" does hold some water.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gotta admit, it would be really fun to see how they all compare. I think there would be some real surprises in there. The idea of comparing the best seasons in baseball history now is as exciting to me as the initial idea of comparing the best players across eras.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:shrug: I'm in your corner assuming you don't have the #1 pick ;)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, if I had the #1 pick it'd be against my interests to promote this, because then I could increase the difference in quality between my Bonds or Ruth pick and everyone else's picks, because their other seasons would not be available.But actually, after Kraft's roll, I think I'm slotted #2 right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm actually not sure about that, in percentage terms the #1 pick may be even more valuable this time (I'm not done, but it looks about 15% more valuable than the #2 pick. In previous drafts, the difference was a little less.)

It's a shame that every other year he played, and the intricacies of how some were more power-oriented, others more about getting on base, etc--those are all lost because one or two even huger years is used every time.  It's just a real shame to shut out a lot of the best and most memorable seasons ever played because they were played by the same people who had ever better ones, or ones that were more conducive to WIS success.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
En ingles, por favor.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lo entendiste.

Mrharrier's point about "best seasons versus best seasons" does hold some water.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gotta admit, it would be really fun to see how they all compare. I think there would be some real surprises in there. The idea of comparing the best seasons in baseball history now is as exciting to me as the initial idea of comparing the best players across eras.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, if I had the #1 pick it'd be against my interests to promote this, because then I could increase the difference in quality between my Bonds or Ruth pick and everyone else's picks, because their other seasons would not be available.But actually, after Kraft's roll, I think I'm slotted #2 right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm actually not sure about that, in percentage terms the #1 pick may be even more valuable this time (I'm not done, but it looks about 15% more valuable than the #2 pick. In previous drafts, the difference was a little less.)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I'm #2 at best now. Take it up with Kraft.

So you could have 3 Ruth's on the same team all in the starting lineup?

RF Ruth

DH Ruth

SP Ruth

Fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess concievably you could end up with that, but it would be Ruth 21 and Ruth 26. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the best lineup out there. I think a lot of people are getting hung up thinking everyone will have the same team as everyone else. That's just not going to happen. Hell more than half the teams won't even have a Ruth on their roster.

IMO, the players names are more than just labels.

Richie Ashburn has a bunch of good OBP, no power, great fielding years. One might be a bit better than another, but similar overall.

Once that player is taken, I prefer that his "skill sets" are off the board so someone cant get an "almost as good" clone of the same player but rather have to look for a player with a different mix of skills.

Seems far more boring to do a completely open league rather than have the (albeit it fairly minimal) constraint of any player (but only once) of any era.

2 or 3 clones!!!!!!!

is pamper in if we go this route?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no, he'd still be out.If we did that, it would be a pointless middle ground. Why should the uniqueness of Bonds' crazy Pirates seasons be omitted just because he had three unreal seasons with the Giants?

[SIZE=14pt]STOP TRYING TO ERASE BASEBALL HISTORY[/SIZE]

RF Ruth

DH Ruth

SP Ruth

Fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess concievably you could end up with that, but it would be Ruth 21 and Ruth 26. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the best lineup out there. I think a lot of people are getting hung up thinking everyone will have the same team as everyone else. That's just not going to happen. Hell more than half the teams won't even have a Ruth on their roster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly.

RF Ruth

DH Ruth

SP Ruth

Fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hell, I'm pretty sure if you had 2 Ruth's hitting back-to-back in your lineup(without obtaining the second via trade), that it would be the worst lineup in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could go either way, but I think I'm converted by Harr's argument. I look forward to identifying the greatest all time seasons, regardless of how many unique players produced them.

Hope I manage to get at least one of them on my team.

Also, is it worth considering a move to that other sim engine that was discussed in WIS IV? I forget the name and can't go back to look it up. With the pending change from "Pud Galvin, 1887" to "PIT SP1 '87" it might be worth looking into. An added benefit would be the lack of familiarity with the quirks of the engine, placing us all on an even level in that regard.

I can see where you guys are coming from, but I still don't see the general populous going wild over the idea. The same players going over and over again can take the wind out of an exciting draft. JMHO.

It's a shame that every other year he played, and the intricacies of how some were more power-oriented, others more about getting on base, etc--those are all lost because one or two even huger years is used every time.  It's just a real shame to shut out a lot of the best and most memorable seasons ever played because they were played by the same people who had ever better ones, or ones that were more conducive to WIS success.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
En ingles, por favor.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lo entendiste.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:no:

I can see where you guys are coming from, but I still don't see the general populous going wild over the idea.  The same players going over and over again can take the wind out of an exciting draft.  JMHO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, but we'd be arguing over why someone took season X over season Y.One additional benefit, is that trading should increase (and who doesn't love a good trade) since there are loads of backup seasons to choose from.

I can see where you guys are coming from, but I still don't see the general populous going wild over the idea.  The same players going over and over again can take the wind out of an exciting draft.  JMHO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, but we'd be arguing over why someone took season X over season Y.One additional benefit, is that trading should increase (and who doesn't love a good trade) since there are loads of backup seasons to choose from.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:thumbup: I know RNR loves trading.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which gives additional credence to the BOOT LARRY_BOY camp.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which gives additional credence to the BOOT LARRY_BOY camp.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:yes:

Trades should definately be allowed during the season. If we want to eliminate trades from the draft I can live with that.

no more trades.  stop the madness.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As long as someone isn't raping larry
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like I said, no trades.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We'll have a serious vote on this before the season starts. For what it's worth, I'll be voting against allowing trades.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So we'll vote on this, but not on the multiple seasons? Great.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right. The multiple seasons has more to do with the structure of the league in the first place. It will affect who joins and doesn't--and I'm not losing Pumpnick over this. So we can't very well take votes from people before we know who will be in the league. Who would we let vote? Only those that would stay no matter what? Just doesn't work. This is one of those things we have to do by consensus, not voting. And I'd say the consensus process is working well thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever. We know that Pump is going to play either way. I won't threaten to quit if we do it that way, I'm man enough to defend my honorable title no matter what the rules. :excited:

Whatever.  We know that Pump is going to play either way.  I won't threaten to quit if we do it that way, I'm man enough to defend my honorable title no matter what the rules.   :excited:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You realize that no trading, or at least no trading with Larry, is highly likely to be one of those rules.

Whatever.  We know that Pump is going to play either way.  I won't threaten to quit if we do it that way, I'm man enough to defend my honorable title no matter what the rules.   :excited:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You realize that no trading, or at least no trading with Larry, is highly likely to be one of those rules.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sure, not going to be a problem. Those trades helped Larry more than they helped me, anyhow. There was lots of value in the middle rounds.I don't have a problem with you guys banning Larry from trading, but if you are really going to consider this "No holds barred", you should allow trades for the rest of us. We're big boys.

RF Ruth

DH Ruth

SP Ruth

Fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude, I am definitely getting a SP Ruth season!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So why wouldn't someone draft Ruth's 1916 season as a Starting Pitcher? Does it not sim well? If this is one of those deals where you have to know how the sim engine works and what players work well with the sim then I'm really out.

I was starting to be warmed over to the Harier's clone wars but now I'm afraid if you don't know the sim engine you won't do well at all.

RF Ruth

DH Ruth

SP Ruth

Fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So why wouldn't someone draft Ruth's 1916 season as a Starting Pitcher? Does it not sim well? If this is one of those deals where you have to know how the sim engine works and what players work well with the sim then I'm really out.

I was starting to be warmed over to the Harier's clone wars but now I'm afraid if you don't know the sim engine you won't do well at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, it's pretty common sense stuff. Guys that get on base a lot and hit for power do well. Guys that strike people out a lot and don't give up lots of walks and home runs do well.

RF Ruth

DH Ruth

SP Ruth

Fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, it's pretty common sense stuff. Guys that get on base a lot and hit for power do well. Guys that strike people out a lot and don't give up lots of walks and home runs do well.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't think there are some inexplicables in the engine?

RF Ruth

DH Ruth

SP Ruth

Fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there any sort of era adjustment or anything? Like is Bob Gibson's '68 going to go really high - but no hitters from '68 will go? Is it strictly a numbers game?

RF Ruth

DH Ruth

SP Ruth

Fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there any sort of era adjustment or anything? Like is Bob Gibson's '68 going to go really high - but no hitters from '68 will go? Is it strictly a numbers game?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You definitely have to account for normalization. We've spent days arguing over this. Last time around, certain seasons, like 1950, 1967, etc, had to be approached with caution.

RF Ruth

DH Ruth

SP Ruth

Fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't think there are some inexplicables in the engine?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course there are. But they're inexplicable to us, too. They wouldn't help us any over Hov.

RF Ruth

DH Ruth

SP Ruth

Fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You definitely have to account for normalization. We've spent days arguing over this. Last time around, certain seasons, like 1950, 1967, etc, had to be approached with caution.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Link?is it on BBT?

RF Ruth

DH Ruth

SP Ruth

Fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Link?is it on BBT?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I'm #2 at best now. Take it up with Kraft.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:coffee:

Users who are viewing this thread