What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WIS XVI - Format & Signup Thread (4 Viewers)

Probably not worth paying for, but would love to see a league based on "Nine Bo Jacksons". Everyone drafts one player to play all positions on the field. Maybe a different year from the player for each spot. Bonds, Ruth, etc no brainers, but would Biggio be the shark move? Yount? Fisk? How much would you think about defense.

Make it a two round draft and only draft the career of a single pitcher for your staff.

OK, so 25 players from 25 different teams names. So you can have a St. Louis Brown and a Baltimore Oriole.

Should we limit it to a certain time frame, like 1950-2012? It would be a pretty high salary league either way.

Is that what we're doing?

Otherwise I'd love to do the 9 Bo Jacksons league. I've done those before on WIS, they're a lot of fun. Playing a league like that live could be insane though.

OK, so 25 players from 25 different teams names. So you can have a St. Louis Brown and a Baltimore Oriole. Should we limit it to a certain time frame, like 1950-2012? It would be a pretty high salary league either way. Is that what we're doing? Otherwise I'd love to do the 9 Bo Jacksons league. I've done those before on WIS, they're a lot of fun. Playing a league like that live could be insane though.
I like 9 Bo Jacksons or the one player team concept with the timeframe being something like 1920-2000. Rosters would still be pretty stacked.

OK, so 25 players from 25 different teams names. So you can have a St. Louis Brown and a Baltimore Oriole.
No need for this ... not hard to track franchise continuity.Not a dealbreaker for me, but if people were thinking that the "distinct team names" concept was all that much easier -- I don't think it really is.

Otherwise I'd love to do the 9 Bo Jacksons league. I've done those before on WIS, they're a lot of fun.
How many credible teams can really be created this way? Wouldn't the Babe Ruth and Barry Bonds squads crush the Craig Biggios or whatever?

Otherwise I'd love to do the 9 Bo Jacksons league. I've done those before on WIS, they're a lot of fun.
How many credible teams can really be created this way? Wouldn't the Babe Ruth and Barry Bonds squads crush the Craig Biggios or whatever?
I just wonder how many passed balls and infield errors a Bonds or Ruth team would have. Probably wouldn't matter as they score 30 a game, but would be interesting to see. And I vote for franchises, not different team names.

Well, if you do a 2-round draft, then it's Walter Johnson and Biggio against Ruth and Curt Schilling, or whatever. (Obviously Ruth needs to be restricted to hitter only). You have the option of picking either a hitter or a pitcher in round 1, and it's a snake draft, so it's 1 and 48 vs. 24 and 25. Ruth makes a lot of errors at SS and allows a lot of passed balls. My concern is that Rickey Henderson would absolutely destroy a Ruth team if you played it live. You might never throw him out. I've never played one of these teams live.

No need for this ... not hard to track franchise continuity.Not a dealbreaker for me, but if people were thinking that the "distinct team names" concept was all that much easier -- I don't think it really is.
I'm fine with franchises. I'm a history buff. If everyone else is OK with it too, that's better.

'Doug B said:
'oso diablo said:
is there time for this? 1st pick in the BTTF2 draft last year was on 2/14.
It's OK if the WIS XVI season is going on during the BTTF'13 draft. Pretty sure the Alphabet Soup season was still being played on WIS on 2/14/2012.
We just need to decide on a format and get the draft going quickly so we don't have the drafts over lapping. It sounds like we are more or less locked on the one player per franchise draft, right?

It sounds like we are more or less locked on the one player per franchise draft, right?
I'm cool with that. What years? And one per franchise or one per team?
I'd suggest starting with 1903 (when the sixteen golden era franchises solidified) and ending with 1992 (when MLB expanded from 26 to 28 teams). I have nothing against the post-1993 expansion teams* but I think a bit more scarcity for the post-1961 expansion teams and avoiding the steroid era are both pluses.Franchises makes more sense to me than the name on a shirt.ETA: *except for Jeffrey Loria

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like we are more or less locked on the one player per franchise draft, right?
I'm cool with that. What years? And one per franchise or one per team?
I'd suggest starting with 1903 (when the sixteen golden era franchises solidified) and ending with 1992 (when MLB expanded from 26 to 28 teams). I have nothing against the post-1993 expansion teams* but I think a bit more scarcity for the post-1961 expansion teams and avoiding the steroid era are both pluses.Franchises makes more sense to me than the name on a shirt.ETA: *except for Jeffrey Loria
I second all of those motions.Draft date? Week from Monday?

those are good ideas, making for 26 franchises. Combine the Mariners and the Blue Jays into one, and you get a nice 25.

those are good ideas, making for 26 franchises. Combine the Mariners and the Blue Jays into one, and you get a nice 25.
I like this idea. It gives the combined Toronttle franchise 30 seasons worth of players, which is almost identical to the Mets, Astros, Angels and Senangers.

'Doug B said:
'oso diablo said:
is there time for this? 1st pick in the BTTF2 draft last year was on 2/14.
It's OK if the WIS XVI season is going on during the BTTF'13 draft. Pretty sure the Alphabet Soup season was still being played on WIS on 2/14/2012.
:goodposting: no reason we can't play and draft at the same time (or draft/play during the season)

why even restrict like this?If I feel I can field a better team not picking a Yankee instead of a Blue Jay, why restrict it?Just do 25 players, 1 player per franchise maximum. Obviously you won't have 1 from everyone if there are more than 25.

why even restrict like this?If I feel I can field a better team not picking a Yankee instead of a Blue Jay, why restrict it?Just do 25 players, 1 player per franchise maximum. Obviously you won't have 1 from everyone if there are more than 25.
I'm fine with that. 1903-1992, 26 franchises, you have to pick a player from 25 of them.

'jfranco77 said:
'Doug B said:
'jfranco77 said:
Well, if you do a 2-round draft, then it's Walter Johnson and Biggio against Ruth and Curt Schilling, or whatever. (Obviously Ruth needs to be restricted to hitter only). You have the option of picking either a hitter or a pitcher in round 1, and it's a snake draft, so it's 1 and 48 vs. 24 and 25. Ruth makes a lot of errors at SS and allows a lot of passed balls. My concern is that Rickey Henderson would absolutely destroy a Ruth team if you played it live. You might never throw him out. I've never played one of these teams live.
Remind self to never play jfranco in a 9 Bo Jackson league.

WIS starts in 1885, so no Old Hoss.However, Silver King and/or Ed Morris are the Old Hoss of the sim, if you want to go that route.
Such savage ignorance was only seen in my day from an Iroquois who refused to trade his land to me for a fine bottle of aged scotch imported from London. I ended up killing that Iroquois with the broken end of a cheap whiskey bottle.Oh, and Silver King and Ed Morris once carried my personal effects off the train at the train station in Altoona. This is who WIS thinks is worthy from that era? Bah.

'Doug B said:
'Eephus said:
I like this idea. It gives the combined Toronttle franchise 30 seasons worth of players, which is almost identical to the Mets, Astros, Angels and Senangers.
Second this idea. Not a dealbreaker, but a better concept.
Thirded.
Works for me, too. Fourthed.

How many signed up so far?
I count 22 who have either said I'm in or talked about format1. Eephus

2. JFranco

3. Hoos

4. Chem X

5. Kraft...

6. BM

7. Bogart

8. Dr. D

9. TU

10. RnR

11. SoCal

12. East Coast Bias

13. Mentos

14. Larry Boy

15. Tre

16. Cheeseneed to talk him into it

17. Oso

18. Doug B

19. AoD

20. moops

21. SNC

22. Frosty

23. Greco (my kind of guy)

24. rodg12 (soooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy)

There are a few other regulars that have not chimed in so I don't think we will have trouble getting 24.

Close enough, I say we start rolling!

i know in one of these, there was a player salary max of $8 million (or so). will that be the case here, too?

i know in one of these, there was a player salary max of $8 million (or so). will that be the case here, too?
That was in last year's Alphabet Soup draft (WIS XV). Can't remember why that was implemented.EDIT: Here's what jfranco wrote last year about the $10 million pitcher salary limit:

I picked 10mil to force people to go to a 4-man rotation with a deeper bullpen. You'll probably be using 10+ pitchers with that limit in place, so more roster spots will matter.

Think I will pass on this format and be back for BTTF3. I honestly know nothing from before I was alive and I think that will be critical here.

i am also assuming that a given player can't be picked more than once, right? Like, you couldn't have a Yankee Babe Ruth on one team, and a Red Sox Babe Ruth on another?

i am also assuming that a given player can't be picked more than once, right? Like, you couldn't have a Yankee Babe Ruth on one team, and a Red Sox Babe Ruth on another?
Pretty sure this is correct. Clones generally haven't been welcomed in these draffs.

Anybody want to be commissioner? I had Gary Bettman all lined up but then they went and settled.

Users who are viewing this thread