What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WIS XVI - Format & Signup Thread (2 Viewers)

Anybody want to be commissioner? I had Gary Bettman all lined up but then they went and settled.
I still don't know how to use AAA players (or finish above 0.500), so I'm out.
You'll only be able to draft one Ranger this time out
For the record, out as commissioner, not the league. And yes, only one Ranger, better make it a good one.
Oh, there are ways around this, Bogey.

Anybody want to be commissioner? I had Gary Bettman all lined up but then they went and settled.
For the record, out as commissioner, not the league. And yes, only one Ranger, better make it a good one.
True, but maybe just once I should bypass Ranger Shtick and actually try to win one of these things.

True, but maybe just once I should bypass Ranger Shtick and actually try to win one of these things.
I was referring to drafting guys that were Rangers at some point in their career by using them from seasons with other teams, but trying to win works too.

Meh, overrated. Victory is fleeting, shtick is forever! :yes:

Meh, overrated. Victory is fleeting, shtick is forever! :yes:
Good point. No one remembers my WIS Roll Dem Bones Leeg title. :kicksrock:

I was referring to drafting guys that were Rangers at some point in their career by using them from seasons with other teams, but trying to win works too.
Trust me, don't think I haven't spent 20 mins thinking this one through.

Anybody want to be commissioner?
This would be two in a row for you, huh? I can commish this time around.
Are we ready to roll?Need help finding an online dice roller that I can access from work. RPGLibrary and Irony are both blocked here. Need a site that can:

1) Roll a 1000-sided dice, or 10 100-sided dice, or equivalent

2) Tabulate the result as a single number (e.g. "734", not "89-67-44-3-20-22-56-90-12-81")

3) Send the results to two e-mail addresses (both wisruthroll.com and the roller's address)

We've typically used one of RPGLibrary or Irony in the past. If those are really the only options, I'll need someone to monitor the dice rolls for me -- and also to roll my dice.

In case anyone jumps the gun with their dice roll -- largest number rolled drafts first, smallest number rolled drafts twenty-fourth (e.g. 987 probably gets the first pick, 43 likely gets the last pick). All other rolls are ordered from greatest to least.

Still want to get the rules finalized, as well ... though it looks like we've reached consensus on the following:

1) 1903-1992 seasons, AL & NL only -- no Federal League, as usual

2) No team salary cap or individual-player salary restrictions, as usual

3) No clones, as usual

4) No AAA, as usual

5) Each team drafts 25 players. Each player drafted has to be from a different franchise. "Franchise" here is defined as "one of the 26 MLB teams playing in 1992". One exception -- the Toronto Blue Jays and Seattle Mariners are collectively being considered one franchise. Franchise continuity is being preserved -- for instance, a 1954 Washington Senator counts as a "Twin" and 1934 St. Louis Brown is an "Oriole". Below is a franchise-continuity cheat sheet -- you will need to draft one player from each of the following 25 "buckets":

Angels = California Angels, Los Angeles Angels

Astros = Houston Astros, Houston Colt 45's

Athletics = Oakland Athletics, Kansas City Athletics, Philadelphia Athletics

Blue Jays/Mariners = Toronto Blue Jays, Seattle Mariners

Braves = Atlanta Braves, Milwaukee Braves, Boston Braves, Boston Bees, Boston Beaneaters, Boston Doves

Brewers = Milwaukee Brewers, Seattle Pilots

Cardinals = St. Louis Cardinals

Cubs = Chicago Cubs

Dodgers = Los Angeles Dodgers, Brooklyn Dodgers, Brooklyn Robins, Brooklyn Superbas

Expos = Montreal Expos

Giants = San Francisco Giants, New York Giants

Indians = Cleveland Indians, Cleveland Naps

Mets = New York Mets

Orioles = Baltimore Orioles, St. Louis Browns

Padres = San Diego Padres

Phillies = Philadelphia Phillies, Philadelphia Blue Jay's (yes, WIS has the apostrophe)

Pirates = Pittsburgh Pirates

Rangers = Texas Rangers, 1961-1971 Washington Senators

Red Sox = Boston Red Sox, Boston Americans

Reds = Cincinnati Reds

Royals = Kansas City Royals

Tigers = Detroit Tigers

Twins = Minnesota Twins, 1903-1960 Washington Senators

White Sox = Chicago White Sox

Yankees = New York Yankees, New York Highlanders

Is there anything else the house wants to bring up before the dice-rolling commences?

Last edited by a moderator:
DH? I assume no DH is standard FBG but in this case, it wouldn't hurt...EDIT> I believe WIS also has entries for the Anaheim AngelsEDIT2> I assume full/combined seasons only (no partials) as is also FBG custom?

DH? I assume no DH is standard FBG but in this case, it wouldn't hurt...

EDIT> I believe WIS also has entries for the Anaheim Angels

EDIT2> I assume full/combined seasons only (no partials) as is also FBG custom?
I think limiting the pool to full seasons makes sense in this format, e.g. Hanley Ramirez shouldn't be available to be picked as a Dodger.

No DH has been the standard. I can go either way. Now is the time for the house to chime in on this.
That's post-1992, though.
Correct. Will fix rules above.

OK, need some opinions on:a) To DH or not to DH?b) To use ONLY full seasons, and no combined partials?

OK, need some opinions on:a) To DH or not to DH?b) To use ONLY full seasons, and no combined partials?
a) indifferentb) prefer to keep simple, and allow both full & combined. a quick perusal of the database suggests to me that it won't really matter.

btw, i'm calling that 25th hybrid franchise the Blue Marinerseta: or maybe Marinjays

'Eephus said:
'jfranco77 said:

I think limiting the pool to full seasons makes sense in this format, e.g. Hanley Ramirez shouldn't be available to be picked as a Dodger.
If someone wants to take Hanley as a Dodger they should be able to. But they can only use his 2012 year.

'Eephus said:
'jfranco77 said:

If someone wants to take Hanley as a Dodger they should be able to. But they can only use his 2012 year.
:goodposting: And even though it's probably sacrilegious for me to say this, but I wouldn't mind the DH this time around. Have we ever gone DH in one of these before?

'Eephus said:
'jfranco77 said:

I skimmed the draft pool and there aren't many combined seasons that are likely to come into play. If the object of this sim is to draft players representing a franchise, it seems fair that the stats were compiled in that team's uniform for the full season, not just two months. It's just as easy to set draft center for full as full/combined.

'Doug B said:
Need help finding an online dice roller that I can access from work. RPGLibrary and Irony are both blocked here. Need a site that can:

1) Roll a 1000-sided dice, or 10 100-sided dice, or equivalent

2) Tabulate the result as a single number (e.g. "734", not "89-67-44-3-20-22-56-90-12-81")

3) Send the results to two e-mail addresses (both wisruthroll.com and the roller's address)

We've typically used one of RPGLibrary or Irony in the past. If those are really the only options, I'll need someone to monitor the dice rolls for me -- and also to roll my dice.

In case anyone jumps the gun with their dice roll -- largest number rolled drafts first, smallest number rolled drafts twenty-fourth (e.g. 987 probably gets the first pick, 43 likely gets the last pick). All other rolls are ordered from greatest to least.
bump

Just to confirm: If someone drafts Rickey Henderson as a Yankee, they can't take one of his years with the A's, correct?

Edit: I don't know of any other dice roller. BTW, we had some issues in the hoops league with people rolling at RPG and using certain email providers...not sure why.
I looked at several that I could get to here at work. Couldn't even find another one that e-mailed results ... much less another 1000-sided die (or 10x100).

Edit: I don't know of any other dice roller. BTW, we had some issues in the hoops league with people rolling at RPG and using certain email providers...not sure why.
I looked at several that I could get to here at work. Couldn't even find another one that e-mailed results ... much less another 1000-sided die (or 10x100).
I'd be honored to roll for you.We just need to pick a site and start rolling.

I vote DH. Should be enough selection for us to fill that spot. I also agree that if someone wants to take Hanley Ramirez 2012 as his Dodgers pick, that's OK (except that he's not really eligible since it's 1992 and before).

I'd be honored to roll for you.We just need to pick a site and start rolling.
Maybe just roll for everyone this time?

Don't see any point in having a DH. The draft pool is big and the vast majority of the time period covered is pre-DH. The players drafted in rounds 20-25 will see more action in a non-DH league.The only time we used a DH was in the capped league because it made managing benches and bullpens easier.

Thanks, eephus. Roll for me whenever you're ready.

DICE ROLL INSTRUCTIONS

Dice roll at this link (RPGLibrary)

1d1000, 1 time

Send the results to wisruthroll@gmail.com and to your own e-mail address. Please put "WIS XVI" in the subject line.

Rolls will be ordered from largest to smallest. Largest number rolled drafts in the 1.01 slot, smallest number rolled drafts 1.24 (e.g. 987 probably gets the first pick, 43 likely gets the last pick).

I count 22 who have either said I'm in or talked about format

1. Eephus

2. JFranco

3. Hoos

4. Chem X

5. Kraft...

6. BM

7. Bogart

8. Dr. D

9. TU

10. RnR

11. SoCal

12. East Coast Bias

13. Mentos

14. Larry Boy

15. Tre

16. Cheese need to talk him into it

17. Oso

18. Doug B

19. AoD

20. moops

21. SNC

22. Frosty

23. Greco (my kind of guy)

24. rodg12 (soooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy)
Based on this list, I am PMing those who haven't been in this thread today ... letting them know the dice rolls have started. Anyone I'm missing?

I accidentally rolled 7 times, :bag: , first roll was 425. Just use that. If I need to re-roll, just let me know.

I accidentally rolled 7 times, :bag: , first roll was 425. Just use that. If I need to re-roll, just let me know.
I almost dd the same thing, caught myself right before clicking.I think that's happened so many times it's written into the imaginary rules to just count the first roll.

Do we have to declare team when we draft a guy or can we waffle?
I guess once you draft a player, no one else can draft him, so it doesn't really matter. If you drafted oh I don't know, Scott Fletcher and said the Rangers, then later changed it to Chicago (Cubs or White Sox), so you would open up your Ranger slot to take Don Slaught, that would be acceptable.

Do we have to declare team when we draft a guy or can we waffle?
You have to roll dice
How that seemed like a good idea when we did it I have no idea, fun looking back at least. :nerd:
I'm biased because I won the WS in that sim but I still think it was a good concept. It was educational to see how few players in history put up six elite seasons e.g. Keith Foulke. It also simulated how even the best players sometimes had off years. I've managed to recreate the latter effect in my Back to the Future teams.

If anyone has an IRL way of contacting hoos first or cheese, please tag them. Their PMs are full.

I tried pumpnick as well .... same issue.

Users who are viewing this thread