What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wordle (4 Viewers)

"My approach" essentially only applies to the first two guesses.  I'm reasonably confident that for those two guesses, the best strategy (i.e. the strategy that gives you the best chance at solving the puzzle if not necessarily in the least guesses) is have your guesses share no common letter, unless you get enough information from your first guess that you can already infer a lot of information.  For instance, if I got three yellow vowels in my first guess, I wouldn't bother with a word with the other two vowels for my second guess because I don't really know any five letter words with four vowels.  

I don't think there's really a huge difference in how anyone approaches this.  I might try to leave a step in my head rather using a guess on it.  Which means that my little bars will often have little to no green until the solution.  But that's only because a letter can be "green" in my head without it being "green" on the board.  But otherwise, we're all doing the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Memes was an interesting one - could not solve it:

Words left after 4 guesses:

MEMES - 5th choice, right word

MEVES - would lock in everything but V, memes or mezes still fit (a person chooses memes, but a program might not)

MEZES - see meves

SEEMS -  only locks -e--s, leaves memes, meves, mezes 

SEMEE - Locks in -eme-, memes only available

SEMES - Locks in -emes, memes only available

If anyone is really into the data - Letter Frequency in 5-letter words (scrabble dictionary):

s    6665
e    6662
a    5990
o    4438
r    4158
i    3759
l    3371
t    3295
n    2952
u    2511
d    2453
y    2074
c    2028
p    2019
m    1976
h    1760
g    1644
b    1627
k    1505
f    1115
w    1039
v    694
z    434
j    291
x    288
q    112

Yeah, I don't know if this is the correct language but essentially we are saying that Wordle is NP-Complete with 6 guesses.  I'm sure some computer person could make my language more precise (or correct it).  This doesn't surprise me and the approach you are taking is how I'm going about it.  I think @Ilov80s said he's going for smallest number of guesses.  I'm just trying to get it correct each day.
Yeah I would love to get it in 2. So far 3 has been the best I’ve managed. Today was 3. Seems like one needs a lot of luck to get 3 though. Luckily I haven’t gotten to a 6th guess yet. 

If anyone is really into the data - Letter Frequency in 5-letter words (scrabble dictionary):

s    6665
e    6662
a    5990
o    4438
r    4158
i    3759
l    3371
t    3295
n    2952
u    2511
d    2453
y    2074
c    2028
p    2019
m    1976
h    1760
g    1644
b    1627
k    1505
f    1115
w    1039
v    694
z    434
j    291
x    288
q    112
Thanks for the info.  My 3 starter words have 13 of the top 15.  Although it makes me smile to say THOSE BRAIN LUMPY (or DUMPY depending on letter placement on first 2) I suppose I should really change BRAIN to DRAIN.  I could always use BUMPY but  L is used twice as often. Those words would leave C out of the top 15.

Yeah I would love to get it in 2. So far 3 has been the best I’ve managed. Today was 3. Seems like one needs a lot of luck to get 3 though. Luckily I haven’t gotten to a 6th guess yet. 
Solve it in a browser on a laptop/PC first and then go to your phone and go to the same website. Start with the end word from the laptop/PC. 

STEAD (Dates would’ve probably been a better choice to pin down the S if it is plural)

PARCH

RAYON

VALOR

FAVOR

what kind of witchcraft is this? 
I’m on an iPad and when it gives you the stats at the end and you hit the share button, it copies that to the clipboard.

No idea why it posts here, unless it is somehow text-based and not image based or something.

I hope it can keep working though since spoiler text is insanely complicated now, you only get one Wordle puzzle a day, and I don’t to ruin anybody’s fun.

Been rolling with STERN and ALOUD as my first two guesses. I'm missing the I, but usually can infer it after the first two words. 

I went down a rabbit hole of word game apps over Christmas break. Landed on Microsoft Wordament as the best. Boggle style 2 minutes games competing against 200 to 300 people. New game starts 30 seconds later. Highly recommend. 

Using adieu and storm. Has worked pretty well. Found the word refer today. Two double letters. Be on the lookout

:lmao:  at us just posting these blocks 

Addictive game - I hope the guy is making money off it somehow.
lol - he is not!

Few such popular corners of the internet are as low-frills as the website, which Mr. Wardle built himself as a side project. There are no ads or flashing banners; no windows pop up or ask for money. There is merely the game on a black background.

“I think people kind of appreciate that there’s this thing online that’s just fun,” Mr. Wardle said in an interview on Monday. “It’s not trying to do anything shady with your data or your eyeballs. It’s just a game that’s fun.”

Also of note - his dictionary is massively reduced from the 12,000+ list: 

"While Ms. Shah was the lucky recipient of the first game, she has played a key role in getting it ready for the public, Mr. Wardle said. An initial list of all of the five-letter words in the English language — about 12,000 — contained a lot of obscure words that would have been near impossible to guess.

So he created another game for Ms. Shah: This time, she would sort through those 12,000 or so words, designating whether or not she knew them. That narrowed down the list of Wordle words to about 2,500, which should last for a few years. (Already, a few words have riled up the fans: Some were upset by REBUS and TAPIR, saying they were not familiar enough.)"

Wordle 208 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜🟩
🟨🟨🟨⬜🟩
⬜🟨⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Only the second time playing the game... used MOIST for the first work for some reason, lol

Yeah, after being stumped this morning, I tried using a double letter and learned that that's an option.  
Yep. Funny thing is that my 4th guess was right and I already had 4 letters but no green. I was using it as a guess just to move letters around so I could see if I had any in the right order and it ended up being right. 

Getting the first and 5th letters early may have actually made it more difficult for me because it didn’t occur to me to that there was a double letter and the last letter was my last guess. Did get it in 6 but it took me quite a while thinking about it after my 5th guess.

Wordle 208 6/6

🟩⬛⬛⬛🟨
🟩⬛⬛🟩⬛
⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My mom, brother, and I have all been playing and update each other on how many tries it took us that day.

My mom just texted us and she got it in 2…after getting ZERO letters right in her first word!!  WTF?!?!

Update: Ok, apparently not everyone gets the same word??? For some reason I thought everyone gets the same word each day. But my mom definitely got a different word than I got. But I know I’ve been getting the same word as at least some of you each day. 

My mom, brother, and I have all been playing and update each other on how many tries it took us that day.

My mom just texted us and she got it in 2…after getting ZERO letters right in her first word!!  WTF?!?!

Update: Ok, apparently not everyone gets the same word??? For some reason I thought everyone gets the same word each day. But my mom definitely got a different word than I got. But I know I’ve been getting the same word as at least some of you each day. 
I think it’s supposed to be the same word for everyone each day. 

⬜⬜😒⬜😒
⬜😒⬜😒✅
⬜😒⬜✅✅
✅✅✅✅✅

I'm pretty confident my average will be 3 guesses unless the circumstances for today's puzzle are present.

Users who are viewing this thread