What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wordle (3 Viewers)

I'm curious if you could write a program that would always get it correct.
Doubtful, if you limit it to just six guesses you'll eventually get into a situation where you know 4 of 5 letters but some obscure first one will ruin it. Like... even after the first guess if you get _INGS with all 4 in the right spot, you'll have to guess through KINGS RINGS WINGS SINGS DINGS and it'll go "Nope sorry it was PINGS or ZINGS this whole time!"

Doubtful, if you limit it to just six guesses you'll eventually get into a situation where you know 4 of 5 letters but some obscure first one will ruin it. Like... even after the first guess if you get _INGS with all 4 in the right spot, you'll have to guess through KINGS RINGS WINGS SINGS DINGS and it'll go "Nope sorry it was PINGS or ZINGS this whole time!"

I don't think an AI would guess KINGS, RINGS, WINGS, DINGS, etc.  It would solely be looking to eliminate letters and find letter locations to reduce the dictionary down to the correct guess.

Now if you required the program to play in Hard Mode then I agree.  I still probably agree but I'm not smart enough to know the real answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use STERN as my starting word.  Figured the RSTLNE from Wheel of Fortune is a good bet for letters.  

Not bad but agree with scooby.  Eliminating vowel's may possible be more important with the first word.

I think I've used TRAIN, STAIN, TRACE and a couple others.  ARISE like he mentioned is a really good one

I'm curious if you could write a program that would always get it correct.
I would guess yes. 

But you might have to seed some internal logic such as the first guess. Or subsequent guesses to maximize letter frequency.  

It will have a database of 5-letter words and can quickly narrow down the list based on both included and accurate placement of letters. 

+1  I'm using this strategy (for the two days I've done it) and got today's in 3.
+2

today went 

TASER - r in wrong position

BROIL - used r in new position, correct and now I in wrong position 

DRINK - kept R, moved I, knew it did not end in e, so added consonants. Correct word. 

+2

today went 

TASER - r in wrong position

BROIL - used r in new position, correct and now I in wrong position 

DRINK - kept R, moved I, knew it did not end in e, so added consonants. Correct word. 

I started with "TIRES" per a suggestion from someone in here.

TIRES

#####  :oldunsure:  

DRINK

Damn, today’s was hard. Started with PEARS and won’t ever do that again. Not a horrible start but it seemed to remove some of my second words like pilot or point. Got it on the last one even though I had 0 green letters in the first 5 guesses. Figured out the word. Didn’t think about alternatives but at that point there wasn’t much left. 

I have a request - can someone(s) send me a list of 10-20 random 5-letter words?

I was toying around with the idea of an algorithm to be able to solve this every time.  I came up with the first 4 words to  guess, and have been able to narrow it down to 1 or 2 words for the first set of words I solved for - using wordle rules, and a scrabble dictionary.  So, for a computer with a scrabble dictionary, this appears to be very solvable - but, I have only tried this with a very small data set.

ETA - I guess the words don't need to be random - just selected with no bias from me.  So, if you think there is a tricky word out there, I'd love to be able to test it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My starting words are:

• THOSE
  • BRAIN
  • LUMPY or DUMPY (depending on letter placement from the first 2)
Very fun game, perfect so far and only had to go to the final guess once.  I found a knockoff app called What Word that uses the same rules (no hard mode though, which ramps up the difficulty immensely) but you can play as often as you like.

Damn, today’s was hard. Started with PEARS and won’t ever do that again. Not a horrible start but it seemed to remove some of my second words like pilot or point. Got it on the last one even though I had 0 green letters in the first 5 guesses. Figured out the word. Didn’t think about alternatives but at that point there wasn’t much left. 
Failed today for the first time.  Didn't get a green until word 4.  

I have a request - can someone(s) send me a list of 10-20 random 5-letter words?

I was toying around with the idea of an algorithm to be able to solve this every time.  I came up with the first 4 words to  guess, and have been able to narrow it down to 1 or 2 words for the first set of words I solved for - using wordle rules, and a scrabble dictionary.  So, for a computer with a scrabble dictionary, this appears to be very solvable - but, I have only tried this with a very small data set.

ETA - I guess the words don't need to be random - just selected with no bias from me.  So, if you think there is a tricky word out there, I'd love to be able to test it.

Thanks for doing this, it keeps me from thinking about doing it :lol:

Try these:

quart
zebra
detox
adieu
haiku
blush
buxom
dutch

xenon - think this counts

zaddy - maybe slang?

I'm thinking any word with a very rare letter and then also a double letter could maybe trick it up.  But again, not sure and why I asked earlier.  Glad you are on the case.

Failed today for the first time.  Didn't get a green until word 4.  

I tried the Gator/RHE/hags method today, but then panicked in the middle when it wasn't working for me and reverted to my other process.  Not a good idea.  Didn't get a green letter until word 5, but luckily was able to suss out the answer with word 6.   When it takes you six to be correct, it says "Whew" at you.  :bag:  

@Sinn Fein - obviously you have to have starter words but are you picking a group of starter words based on some critieria and then having the program randomly pick one or are you giving it rules and then it randomly selected one from the dictionary or do you just have 1-n starter words picked out?

For the second word - kind of same thing.

I tried the Gator/RHE/hags method today, but then panicked in the middle when it wasn't working for me and reverted to my other process.  Not a good idea.  Didn't get a green letter until word 5, but luckily was able to suss out the answer with word 6.   When it takes you six to be correct, it says "Whew" at you.  :bag:  

:lmao:   that was me today too although I knew where 4 of the letters went and thankfully seemed to only have one word it could be.  I was missing the initial letter.

Yes, today was the toughest I've had (only played on the site for 6 days). From my starting 3 words (THOSE BRAIN LUMPY) I only got 3 yellows, my 4th didn't generate any green, but placed 3 green on try 5 which made the the final guess easy. "Whew" indeed :)

That was one of my last guesses...

@Ramsay Hunt Experience

Sent me a list that I am working on - it did force me to accelerate my tool a bit, and I have downloaded a list of 5-letter words (12,974) in the scrabble dictionary (actually had to download the entire dictionary, and then parse out the 5-letter words, so a bit longer to do....)

SO far it works - with one additional rule - the first 4 guesses are hard-wired, the 5th guess is the first word alphabetically of the remaining words. :

After the 4 guess - possible words that remain:

haiku - HAIKU

koans - KAONS, KOANS

equal - EQUAL, UVEAL, VALUE

rabbi - BAJRA, BRAAI, BRAVI, RABBI (This was the word that forced me to use more computing power)

bocce - BOCCE

stays - BAYTS STAYS

magma - GAMBA, GAMMA, MAGMA

For Rabbi - the 5th guess

Bajra - locks in the A, makes Rabbi the only choice
Braii - locks in the I, confirms B in wrong spot, makes Rabbi the only choice
Bravi - locks in the I, confirms B in wrong spot, makes Rabbi the only choice

So, still guaranteed to get it by 6 guesses. 

xenon - think this counts

zaddy - maybe slang?

I'm thinking any word with a very rare letter and then also a double letter could maybe trick it up.  But again, not sure and why I asked earlier.  Glad you are on the case.

I did Xerox with no problem, but I will check Xenon

It took me four today and I kind of messed up with my third guess by placing a letter in a position I already knew it didn't go. I don't think it made a difference though, because that guess also eliminated a number of consonants that I needed to figure it out.   I did take a good four or five minutes before deciding on the fourth word. 

@Sinn Fein - obviously you have to have starter words but are you picking a group of starter words based on some critieria and then having the program randomly pick one or are you giving it rules and then it randomly selected one from the dictionary or do you just have 1-n starter words picked out?

For the second word - kind of same thing.

Yeah - I wanted to touch base on that - for a computing solution, I have opted to go with the @Ramsay Hunt Experience approach - and get as many letters guessed as I can, and then let the computer (right now I am still doing it on a spread sheet, so no coding or database yet, which would make it infinitely faster...)

The first four guesses:

Wurst

Defog

Amply

That gets 20 unique letters, and 19 of the top-20 in the frequency chart.

BJQVXZ are the unused letters, with B in the top-20, in place of K

It also gives the computer a little bit more information, both correct placement, and incorrect placement - to narrow down the possibilities.

I only played the actual game one time so I didn't think you could use letters more than once... so my list obviously didn't include any double letters.  How does the WORDLE UI handle that?  For example if the word is PRESS, do you know the S is used twice? 

I only played the actual game one time so I didn't think you could use letters more than once... so my list obviously didn't include any double letters.  How does the WORDLE UI handle that?  For example if the word is PRESS, do you know the S is used twice? 
It does not tell you, - unless you use S twice in your guess.  It will simply tell you if the S you selected is in the correct place, or not.

Yeah - I wanted to touch base on that - for a computing solution, I have opted to go with the @Ramsay Hunt Experience approach - and get as many letters guessed as I can, and then let the computer (right now I am still doing it on a spread sheet, so no coding or database yet, which would make it infinitely faster...)

The first four guesses:

Wurst

Defog

Amply

That gets 20 unique letters, and 19 of the top-20 in the frequency chart.

BJQVXZ are the unused letters, with B in the top-20, in place of K

It also gives the computer a little bit more information, both correct placement, and incorrect placement - to narrow down the possibilities.

Yeah, I don't know if this is the correct language but essentially we are saying that Wordle is NP-Complete with 6 guesses.  I'm sure some computer person could make my language more precise (or correct it).  This doesn't surprise me and the approach you are taking is how I'm going about it.  I think @Ilov80s said he's going for smallest number of guesses.  I'm just trying to get it correct each day.

Users who are viewing this thread