What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

(Work)Day drinking (1 Viewer)

Mr. Soup Nazi

Footballguy
So I've started throwing a little Fireball into my morning coffee.

Sometimes throw a little into an afternoon coke or sneak in a lunchtime beer.  Makes the day go by faster and I don't know that my productivity is negatively impacted.  In fact, I'd argue that I'm a little more relaxed and more productive during the day.

Anyone else a borderline alcoholic participate in experimental drinking as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not during business hours... but I sure did grow accustomed to my recent winter holiday day drinking routine that I accidentally fell into.   The first few days back in the office felt empty. 

Sometimes throw a little into an afternoon coke or sneak in a lunchtime beer.  Makes the day go by faster and I don't know that my productivity is negatively impacted.  In fact, I'd argue that I'm a little more relaxed and more productive during the day.

Anyone else a borderline alcoholic participate in experimental drinking as well?
I'm thinking you maybe - JUST MAYBE - are an alcoholic.

Never during the week but if I am going to drink now I love day drinking.  More energy and still go to bed at a decent time so not hungover the next day.  Saturday we had a nice lunch out and then met some friends and starting drinking around 3pm..drank until about 7pm then came home and ate dinner and in bed by 9pm.  Woke up at 6am and worked out and walked the dogs and felt great.

If I go to bed at 1-2am I am wrecked the next day because I will still wake up at 6am.

Never during the week but if I am going to drink now I love day drinking.  More energy and still go to bed at a decent time so not hungover the next day.  Saturday we had a nice lunch out and then met some friends and starting drinking around 3pm..drank until about 7pm then came home and ate dinner and in bed by 9pm.  Woke up at 6am and worked out and walked the dogs and felt great.

If I go to bed at 1-2am I am wrecked the next day because I will still wake up at 6am.
Right there with ya.  I much prefer having some beers out on a nice patio in the sun.  

My kids are up at 7am and I'm a light sleeper so I'm up regardless.  May as well have a decent night's sleep under my belt.

Yes, you got the right routine down. Food first, later drinks then more food. Also works well with most football afternoons.

Socially on occasion (BBQs, vacation, holidays, day off with friends, etc.).  Never during work hours though.

What you are describing is a bad idea.  That’s not a path you want to go down.  If you need something extra to help the day go by quicker try exercise.

total opposite for me. day drinking just wrecks me. i get drunk way quicker and find myself having to stop.. which leads to massive afternoon/evening hangovers & having to crash early but i somehow wake up feeling even worse the next day.

More production = more booze.  Then one day someday bad happens...

Keep some hand sanitizer around for if someone smells it.

Yes

I have started to go to a restaurant and eat at the bar during work and with a better lunch i get a glass of wine.

Normally i would go to a pizzaria or fast food joint and get a soda. I have a lot of people i am responsible for, drama and meetings to deal with. Having a glass definitely tones things down when i return. 

Even at night when i get home i find myself having a glass now.

I comfort myself in saying it is better than soda and i do enjoy and benefit from the slight buzz or whatever

Highly recommend 

total opposite for me. day drinking just wrecks me. i get drunk way quicker and find myself having to stop.. which leads to massive afternoon/evening hangovers & having to crash early but i somehow wake up feeling even worse the next day.
If I start drinking during the day and have only had breakfast I get the same way.  Then after I get a good buzz going I don`t want to eat because it will make me tired and I will want to lay down. I have gone to tailgates when I have only had a bagel or piece of toast..been destroyed too early

You have to plan your day drinking events in advance.  Get up and eat breakfast..work out, take a walk, around 1pm eat a good lunch for your base so that way you already have 2 meals in you.  Let it digest an hour or two then have at it.

Yes

I have started to go to a restaurant and eat at the bar during work and with a better lunch i get a glass of wine.

Normally i would go to a pizzaria or fast food joint and get a soda. I have a lot of people i am responsible for, drama and meetings to deal with. Having a glass definitely tones things down when i return. 

I comfort myself in saying it is better than soda and i do enjoy and benefit from the slight buzz or whatever

Highly recommend 
Started?

Day drinking as a thing?  No, you lily livers...Now morning drinking, I can relate to...

:unsure:
:lol:     

I drive by my "usual" watering hole on the way to work every morning.  Today, for some odd reason, I had the smallest notion to pull in and just drink all day and skip work.  

I know there'd be people in there... it's a popular spot for those that work night shifts to come in and drink during the day.  

Didn't do it of course.... but thought of having a "hot" beverage to start, maybe a Bloody Mary...

Da Guru said:
You have to plan your day drinking events in advance.  Get up and eat breakfast..work out, take a walk, around 1pm eat a good lunch for your base so that way you already have 2 meals in you.  Let it digest an hour or two then have at it.
You just ruined the whole thing and made day drinking a job.  

BTW If you distinguish you drinking by time slots [Day, Night, Evening....] Your doing it wrong. Just Drink!!!!

:banned:

drinking is time neutral..   sometimes (tailgates) you need beer for breakfast..   no need to worry about the time

that said, day drinking is my favorite

nirad3 said:
:lol:     

I drive by my "usual" watering hole on the way to work every morning.  Today, for some odd reason, I had the smallest notion to pull in and just drink all day and skip work.  

I know there'd be people in there... it's a popular spot for those that work night shifts to come in and drink during the day.  
Those people have a legit reason to drink during the day, thus they don't count.

mr. furley said:
Lies!

drinking at work is part and parcel of working at a winery. matter of fact, the owner came in twice today with samples from 2018 and asked for opinions on the new Rose'. 3 - 4 oz. isn't gonna really do much (high tolerance). of course, there's a difference between sampling a few ounces during the day and being a purple-toothed goober trying to pour wine for a group of people while obviously intoxicated. 

Where do you work?  Sterling Cooper?

There is no plan, system , thoughts about it.  If I want a drink I have one.

Hold it.......do make a point to eat first.

Booze is getting a bit old.  Once weed gets legalized, is day baking a thing?  Or is that already a given?

And I mean with normal people, not the weed degenerates on this bored.  No offense weed degenerates. 

Booze is getting a bit old.  Once weed gets legalized, is day baking a thing?  Or is that already a given?

And I mean with normal people, not the weed degenerates on this bored.  No offense weed degenerates. 
I treat it as a sort of dessert thing. Drink-eat-smoke in that order.

Yes

Highly recommend 
Makes sense, what with the user name. 

So, I'm still doing this on occasion.  Honestly I now realize it is a self-medicating thing.  When I get stressed, I put Fireball in my coffee, or mix a Truly/Mike's with a Powerade fountain drink or something like that.  Have been doing it off and on throughout the year as things ebb and flow.

It calms my nerves and unlocks me from getting so stressed out that I'm not functioning.

I'm sure there is some kind of med that can do the same thing, but booze is not that expensive and doesn't require a doctor's visit and prescription. 

I am considering trying pot as I live in Missouri.  Medical MJ is supposed to happen by next year.  For some reason I'm more open to that than the classical psych drugs.

I know drinking at work is a dangerous proposition (my office is pretty laid back about it and it is fairly common here after 4:00).  But for now, it is doing the trick.

Anyway, was thinking about all this today and remembered starting this thread.

So, I'm still doing this on occasion.  Honestly I now realize it is a self-medicating thing.  When I get stressed, I put Fireball in my coffee, or mix a Truly/Mike's with a Powerade fountain drink or something like that.  Have been doing it off and on throughout the year as things ebb and flow.

It calms my nerves and unlocks me from getting so stressed out that I'm not functioning.

I'm sure there is some kind of med that can do the same thing, but booze is not that expensive and doesn't require a doctor's visit and prescription. 

I am considering trying pot as I live in Missouri.  Medical MJ is supposed to happen by next year.  For some reason I'm more open to that than the classical psych drugs.

I know drinking at work is a dangerous proposition (my office is pretty laid back about it and it is fairly common here after 4:00).  But for now, it is doing the trick.

Anyway, was thinking about all this today and remembered starting this thread.
I have a Xanax prescription that costs me $1.73 for a years' worth. I've been wildly stressed lately and just breaking off a quarter of a low dose does wonders for me. Benzos are not something I run the risk of being dependent on, but I know others are more vulnerable to that so I think people should tread lightly. But it's miraculous for me on the more stressful days.

I have a Xanax prescription that costs me $1.73 for a years' worth. I've been wildly stressed lately and just breaking off a quarter of a low dose does wonders for me. Benzos are not something I run the risk of being dependent on, but I know others are more vulnerable to that so I think people should tread lightly. But it's miraculous for me on the more stressful days.
Are they just a take it as you need it thing?

I think part of what turned me off to prescription meds is the one time I got on one for anxiety, I had to take it every day.  It had side effects and I weaned myself off of it once life settled down.  I don't want to have to go down that path again.

Are they just a take it as you need it thing?

I think part of what turned me off to prescription meds is the one time I got on one for anxiety, I had to take it every day.  It had side effects and I weaned myself off of it once life settled down.  I don't want to have to go down that path again.
Yeah, I avoid maintenance drugs like the plague. It's take as needed. And I try to take as little as possible. And increase if necessary, rather than taking the prescribed dose. It doesn't take much to get the edge off for me. And I'll go weeks, sometimes months, without taking taking them.

Yeah, I avoid maintenance drugs like the plague. It's take as needed. And I try to take as little as possible. And increase if necessary, rather than taking the prescribed dose. It doesn't take much to get the edge off for me. And I'll go weeks, sometimes months, without taking taking them.
Thanks.  If you don't mind me asking, what are the side effects (if any) you've noticed?

Thanks.  If you don't mind me asking, what are the side effects (if any) you've noticed?
I don't get any. It can make you groggy, but like I said I try to take just barely enough to get the edge off so normally don't have to deal with that. It can be habit forming for some and if you develop a dependency it is hell to get off of. Dangerously so, if you get a significant dependency. I have a buddy who had three grand mol seizures in a matter of a few hours trying to cold turkey a benzo habit.

Not worth the risk. I got my current job because the previous guy liked to have a couple beers at lunch, which he thought was no big deal because he worked from home 90% of the time. Then a server crashed one afternoon and he had to go into the main office to fix it.....where he ended up stumbling around and slurring his words in front of the CEO.

Which isn't to say day drinking doesn't have it's place.  :banned:
this. 

easier for me seeing as how i'm constantly in transit (train/Uber/cab/plane) and not tethered to an office ... working for myself helps a great deal, to boot - my boss has a lax policy on tippin' a few in between client sits  :D

Not worth the risk. I got my current job because the previous guy liked to have a couple beers at lunch, which he thought was no big deal because he worked from home 90% of the time. Then a server crashed one afternoon and he had to go into the main office to fix it.....where he ended up stumbling around and slurring his words in front of the CEO.
Well I'm at the office 100% of the time and have never been close to slurring/stumbling.  I get to a light buzz and coast for a few hours with that.....I do see the danger of going beyond that point though, and it is too easy to do.  I realize I am in a precarious position.

Well I'm at the office 100% of the time and have never been close to slurring/stumbling.  I get to a light buzz and coast for a few hours with that.....I do see the danger of going beyond that point though, and it is too easy to do.  I realize I am in a precarious position.
I don't know how strict your company is, but at most companies all it really takes is one anonymous co-worker to claim that you've got alcohol on your breath.

Oh, and if you think the smell can't be detected, you're wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread