What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

World's Best Dinner (1 Viewer)

All those saying 4oz of Wagyu need to have their man card checked ;)  

Last NYE we had a 8.9lb Japanese A5 Tenderloin shipped in. I was told it was BMS12 (out of a possible 12) and I believe it. 

The men got 24oz filets

The women got 16oz filets 

There weren't a lot of leftovers. 

I get that ribeye is different... have had a couple of those come across my counter as well... but still. :D  

Interesting thread. 

Makes me think a slightly different angle that to me is way more interesting. Does "best" mean "most expensive"? 

Interesting thread. 

Makes me think a slightly different angle that to me is way more interesting. Does "best" mean "most expensive"? 
You basically just summed up what I was thinking while I was reading through this thread.  While I’ve had some upscale pricey meals that I have thoroughly enjoyed—I’d venture to say that most of my favorite meals have probably been economically friendly.  In this particular case—it sounds like the OP’s main goal is to create a dining experience that focuses on featuring expensive and rare foods—but categorizing it as the “best dinner” is an interesting dynamic. 

oh yeah... you were asking about caviar. I would typically look for ossetra or beluga.

bilini, smoked salmon, crème fraiche, caviar, chive

Definitely not.

Take dessert, for example. Few desserts are better than a homemade apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Definitely not the most expensive dessert around. 
Good point.  To expand upon this.  Growing up—I had a buddy that was so close that we’d routinely invite each other’s families over for special occasions and dinners.  His grandparents were fully italian and on one of the dinners—they did the cooking.  One of the dishes they served was called Cacio e Pepe—-which is literally pasta with cheese and black pepper.  I literally still dream about that dish. It was just done so perfectly even though the ingredients are so simple and affordable.  

And I definitely don't want to derail the thread and I'll make a new one. I think I was mostly just caught off guard as I know @Ron Swanson is a BBQ fan. 

And BBQ is the ultimate picture of poor folks taking the (at least traditionally) lesser desired and cheap cuts like brisket or pork shoulder and through the alchemy of smoke, heat, time and work, turning it something better than the steak the rich guy got. I honestly think that's one reason I love it so much. 

You basically just summed up what I was thinking while I was reading through this thread.  While I’ve had some upscale pricey meals that I have thoroughly enjoyed—I’d venture to say that most of my favorite meals have probably been economically friendly.  In this particular case—it sounds like the OP’s main goal is to create a dining experience that focuses on featuring expensive and rare foods—but categorizing it as the “best dinner” is an interesting dynamic. 

Interesting thread. 

I didn't realize I did that.  Yes , "rare" and "expensive"/not the norm is probably more appropriate.  Lot's of great foods and our favorites aren't expensive or rare. And lots of expensive foods aren't that great, IMO. Maybe "expensive but worth it" is a better descriptor?

And I definitely don't want to derail the thread and I'll make a new one. I think I was mostly just caught off guard as I know @Ron Swanson is a BBQ fan. 

And BBQ is the ultimate picture of poor folks taking the (at least traditionally) lesser desired and cheap cuts like brisket or pork shoulder and through the alchemy of smoke, heat, time and work, turning it something better than the steak the rich guy got. I honestly think that's one reason I love it so much. 
I think this is still true with most pork BBQ but the majority of the best beef BBQ places have followed Franklin's lead and start with quality prime beef these days.  Yes, it's still brisket, rib, or clod but it isn't quite the alchemy it used to be.

gimme a choice and i'll take best-o-po'food over finest-available-cuisine every time. i'm happy to let others crunch on ortolan - give me a Christmas tamale or bowl of phở with broth so deep it gongs and send the rest to No Kid Hungry. not criticizing - rare exercises of "how special can we make this" are much more soul-expanding than dropping dimes on bigcity tweezer food, but i'll take what noni's serving.

First I thought this was a thread about the World's Best Diner - and I thought, interesting.  🤔

But, now that I understand what the thread is about - if you don't go with this, you have really missed the opportunity.

First I thought this was a thread about the World's Best Diner - and I thought, interesting.  🤔

But, now that I understand what the thread is about - if you don't go with this, you have really missed the opportunity.
I just vomited a little in my mouth. Salisbury steak is my kryptonite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  Please, keep them coming. To answer some questions...

1) This is a meal for my wife's parents with her brother and sister in law participating in the preparation. This is a payback for their insistence on giving "holiday money". Part of the fun is us preparing it. We've done the high end restaurant schtick and would rather just hang at our place and start with really great ingredients.

2) We have regularly prepared extensive meals for them and they enjoy it. Or tolerate it.  Duck, prime rib, oysters, etc. are de rigueur so we are trying to step this up a notch.

2) We are capable and comfortable preparing just about anything. I am comfortable handling anyone's best meat, including @cosjobs

Does your crowd like escargot?

escargot en croute, with a sherry cream sauce 

Interesting thread. 

No and it depends, I hardly ever eat hamburger, fried foods or drink soda.     

Had a 4 hour drive and was hungry.  Ordered a Culvers double butter burger, with fries and a RootBeer Saturday.  While eating it I was thinking.  This is the the best tasting meal I have had in months.    I enjoyed it more than a Filet I had at a steakhouse last month that was $50.00 ala carte.  Even though I was full I was temped to get another burger it tasted so good.  Whole meal was around 7-8 dollars.

Big fan of bearnaise.  Can be fussy to prepare, doesn't hold well, worth the effort.  Sounds like your wagyu won't need it but something to keep in mind.

The suggestion to "downgrade" the charcuterie to a cheese board given the rich meat of the main course is resonating with me.  Brian Lagerstrom on cheese boards is something I saw recently and found very informative.  But otherwise a big fan of charcuterie.  Be sure to have enough "acid" choices to go with the "salt" and "fat," imo.  

French onion soup is enough work that justifies a special occasion.  I wouldn't try for a group bigger than 8 unless you have a salamander at home.  Tried this for 15 servings for Mom's b-day and, while the soup was tasty, the presentation suffered for trying to get crocks through the broiler.  YMMV.  

Y’all Stop derailing the thread with the best vs expensive argument. Let @Ron Swanson have his fun. He just wants to make a nice dinner for his family.

@[icon] he’s serving old people.  why you trying to kill them with 24oz of meat?  🤣 Looking to lower the the blood pressure, not raise it. 😜😜  I’m curious, did the tenderloin you ordered come with a lineage chart and a nose print?  When we order true A5 from Japan, it comes with the animals lineage, back to the grand parents of the animal and a noseprint of the actual animal that provided the meat. They say the nose prints are unique, like our fingerprints. It’s actually really cool. 

Big fan of bearnaise.  Can be fussy to prepare, doesn't hold well, worth the effort.  Sounds like your wagyu won't need it but something to keep in mind.

The suggestion to "downgrade" the charcuterie to a cheese board given the rich meat of the main course is resonating with me.  Brian Lagerstrom on cheese boards is something I saw recently and found very informative.  But otherwise a big fan of charcuterie.  Be sure to have enough "acid" choices to go with the "salt" and "fat," imo.  

French onion soup is enough work that justifies a special occasion.  I wouldn't try for a group bigger than 8 unless you have a salamander at home.  ETA:  or one of these.  Tried this for 15 servings for Mom's b-day and, while the soup was tasty, the presentation suffered for trying to get crocks through the broiler.  YMMV.  

Had a 4 hour drive and was hungry.  Ordered a Culvers double butter burger, with fries and a RootBeer Saturday.  While eating it I was thinking.  This is the the best tasting meal I have had in months.    I enjoyed it more than a Filet I had at a steakhouse last month that was $50.00 ala carte.  Even though I was full I was temped to get another burger it tasted so good.  Whole meal was around 7-8 dollars.
I get this way with Taco Bell. The food scientist who created the flavor they inject in that crap goes straight to the same portion of my brain as cocaine. The original hard shell taco is so freaking good.

Y’all Stop derailing the thread with the best vs expensive argument. Let @Ron Swanson have his fun. He just wants to make a nice dinner for his family.

@[icon] he’s serving old people.  why you trying to kill them with 24oz of meat?  🤣 Looking to lower the the blood pressure, not raise it. 😜😜  I’m curious, did the tenderloin you ordered come with a lineage chart and a nose print?  When we order true A5 from Japan, it comes with the animals lineage, back to the grand parents of the animal and a noseprint of the actual animal that provided the meat. They say the nose prints are unique, like our fingerprints. It’s actually really cool. 

I can't tell if this is shtick because rich people can be #######g bananas.

The certificate was the second image in the photo album in that post. :)  

Agreed it's pretty cool that cow's noseprints are like fingerprints :thumbup:  

I've ordered a disproportionately large amount of Japanese A5 Wagyu over the past few years :lol:  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd probably give myself a heart attack trying to do this, but I think my go big strategy would probably go something like this:

1.  Aperitives and snacks on a patio or deck if available.  Marcona almonds, good high-end olives, maybe two really high quality cured meats as opposed to a full charcuterie platter. Even nice potato chips.   Serve with Aperol Spritzes or the aperitif of your choice.

2.  Moving inside, maybe have a small seafood tower comprising some of the ideas here.  One or two steamed lobsters, some jumbo shrimp.  Some raw oysters and grilled clams.  All the nice seafood sauce fixings.  A mignonette, clarified butter, homemade cocktail sauce and a remoulade.  Have champagne or a good white wine available.  You can easily include caviar here as well.

3.  Soup / salad of you choice.  Maybe a best of both words with a small salad and cup of nice cold vichyssoise (which is rich but would be small).  I wouldn't want to go crazy on ingredients here, just something light to kind of refresh the palate with a nice wine to match.

4.  The Wagyu and some type of side emphasizing black truffles. Either in a potato puree or some smoked mushrooms or both.  Serve with your go to power steakhouse wine.  Opus One or whatever.  Consider your sauces (demi glace? béarnaise?)  Maybe sneak in some foie gras here, alternating with slices of the wagyu and maybe going with a fruity sauce (sour cherry sauce?)

5.   OPTIONAL Sorbet to cleanse the palate.  Dealer's choice on flavor, but I'd want something that feels like spring.

6.  Cheese plate.  If you're doing a triple cream brie type style among the options, cut the wheel in three layers and shave black truffles between each layer before recomposing.  Maybe have a Merlot and a Chardonnay available for this course.

7.  Some type of souffle.  Flaming Grand Marnier if you feel confident.  Serve with Sauternes.

8.  Back out to the patio or deck for some nighttime conversation.  Port/Sherry, scotch, wine, and/or coffee.  Maybe have some nice cookies on the off chance anyone can still eat anything.

The advantages as I see them.  A lot of stuff can be done in advance and you're not doing a ton of in the moment cooking or dirtying a ton of pots.  The cooked seafood can be steamed the day before.  All the sauces can be made then too.  As could a soup (chilled or even if heated up).   I realize you've said your guests are used to being part of the process, but I'm just not sure how you can make a meal feel like an event if it calls for everyone to be helping out in the kitchen.  And odds are even if you have a great home kitchen, you'd be swamped having to do multiple courses to order.  It's wine/alcohol forward as befits my status as a "beverage guy."   The presence of the seafood "tower" gives you a chance to get away and do the bit of cooking that needs to be done.  The soufflés can be challenging, but aren't necessarily super labor intensive.  If you don't want to mess with trying to pour a flaming spout of Grand Marnier, you can always make a crème anglaise sauce instead.  Or even easier, just do crème brulée which would probably save you the need to get six soufflé dishes.  You probably already have six ramekins.

I'd say that this is still a lot of work to pull off, but I wouldn't consider it impossible, particularly if I were smart about planning.

In my much younger days I donned a full tux and was a full fledged tableside waiter at a regular Florida Trend Gold Spoon Winner in N. FL. (12 North)

To this day I still replicate some of my favorites I learned there:

Caviar - the sky is the limit for what you can spend here but we served a Beluga. We would use French spoons to spread Crème fraîche over fresh baked swaybacks, then add chopped hard boiled quail egg, finely chopped red onion and then a heaping spoon of caviar using a bone spoon. The kicker is a tableside bottle of Stoli on ice of which we would serve shots in elegant chilled shot glasses.

Steak tartare- beautiful ground tenderloin, cottled egg yoke, ground pepper, diced shallots, dash of worstie and olive oil, squeeze lemon. Oh, there will be capers~ toss. Serve on chilled plates.

Wilted Spinach Salad- I would load up a Richard pan with a pile of fresh spinach, fire up the heat, add chopped quail egg, pork belly, red onions and the house vinagrette and then cover. It does not take long for the spinach to wilt. You don't want to take it to far and cook the spinach. Just when it is looking limp you flambe' with brandy and you have #####ing warm salad served on chilled puter plates to give it some steam! Chilled forks bonus.

Ok. We had some great main courses. Carved Rack of Lamb. Flambed Duck with triple sec. Chateaubriand. Dover sole deboned at the table (I would push the fresh snapper, no surgery required and it was better).

Desserts- my bananas foster is up there for not only taste but presentation. We would have bets among the waiters to see who could set their rum flames the highest to the ceiling. Those were some extreme pyro shows by waiters looking for the big grats.

Then we come to the after dinner time. The café brûlot was the pinnacle of after dinner coffee drink. We would fill a copper based pot with coffee, grand marnier, brandy and then hang lemon and orange peels with clove stuck in the bottom draped into the liquid. Add cinnamon sticks broken up. Heat up and then light the whole thing up with some more brandy and ladle those flames up high with a tail!

Now you're cookin!

It has been over a month since you first asked for help with this, @Ron Swanson.  So please close the loop on this...  what did you decide on the final menu and how did it go?  Inquiring minds want to know!

We did this zoom cooking class with our daughter and her MBA class in Dec 2020. It was unbelievable. It takes a while to cook but if you have someone  to cook it while you focus on the rest of the dinner, it would be excellent choice for best dinner ever. 
Truffle Risotto

Sounds like an acquired taste.  I wouldn't serve it with this dinner.... especially since good caviar is very expensive.  Use the money to get other things.  
Many of the “finer things” are acquired tastes - foie gras, stinky cheeses, oysters, alcohol, etc. Why draw the line at caviar?

everyone loves macaroni and cheese but get the good kind where the cheese is not powder but is already like in a packet that you cut open and squeeze in there people love that stuff take that to the bank brohan 

Definitely not.

Take dessert, for example. Few desserts are better than a homemade apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Definitely not the most expensive dessert around. 
I find expensive desserts are more gratifying and worth the money than the main meal. I guess it just depends what you like.

Hunger is the best seasoning. 

Anyone who has backpacked, or done anything exhausting without eating for hours, has learned this expression. Some of my best meals have been dehydrated camping food.

Well, we pulled it off yesterday. It took 8.5 hours to get through all of the courses. We took our time and tried to mix it up to keep it from becoming heavy and too rich.  I was very pleased how it worked out.  We kept the portions small enough that nobody was stuffed and it was engaging enough that the time flew.  We did a lot of pre-prep and staging to make sure we weren't spending much time cooking and could really just serve and hang out other than the searing, etc.

We didn't drink a ton. The wine drinkers enjoyed some bottles of their faves, I had a few beers. Home made limoncello as a digestiv for those who like it and my BIL and I had a couple bourbons with dessert (Rhetoric 25, Weller Full Proof, Midwinter Night's Dram (Rye), and Stagg).

My favorite was the bluefin. The ribeye was a close second, and the lobster claws were fantastic.  The Duck Bacon was a huuuuge hit. Thank all y'all for your suggestions. A lot of them made the final cut. I've linked a few pics but unfortunately I forgot to take pics of some courses.

Here's the menu:

Course 1

Charcuterie Board

Iberico Jamon Pata Negra, Acorn Fed

Duck Bacon 

Dry Cured Suacisson 

Cornichons 

Dried Fruit (cherries, pineapple)

Fig Jam

Nuts

Mustard Assortment

Chevre rolled in fresh chives

8 month Gouda 

Edam

Double Creme Brie with local honey drizzle.

Manchego DOP Sheep (La Mancha)

English Cave Aged Farmhouse Cheddar

Comte PDO (Gruyere’s French Twin from Jura Mountain region)

Rustic Red Cheddar. (Cheddar, England)

Datil Jelly

Morello Cherry Preserve

Ginger Conserve

Castelvetrano and Kalamata Olives

Toast points, cucumber slices, gluten free crackers.

Course 2

Carrot-Ginger Soup

Course 3

Foie Gras and Duck Terrine assortment with crostini, french bread, gluten free toast.

Duck Foie Gras

Duck Foie Gras with Black Truffles

Duck Terrine Mousquetaire

Local Honey & Balsamic Reduction

Course 4

1905 Salad

Course 5

Maine Lobster Claws with Clarified Butter

Course 6 

Fresh seared Bluefin Tuna with wasabi, soy sauce, poke reduction

Course 7

A5 Black Kuroge Wagyu Ribeye (cooked)

Nantucket Bay Scallops 

Murasaki Mash

Course 8 

Fruit Tart and Gluten Free Goodies

Well, we pulled it off yesterday. It took 8.5 hours to get through all of the courses. We took our time and tried to mix it up to keep it from becoming heavy and too rich.  I was very pleased how it worked out.  We kept the portions small enough that nobody was stuffed and it was engaging enough that the time flew.  We did a lot of pre-prep and staging to make sure we weren't spending much time cooking and could really just serve and hang out other than the searing, etc.

We didn't drink a ton. The wine drinkers enjoyed some bottles of their faves, I had a few beers. Home made limoncello as a digestiv for those who like it and my BIL and I had a couple bourbons with dessert (Rhetoric 25, Weller Full Proof, Midwinter Night's Dram (Rye), and Stagg).

My favorite was the bluefin. The ribeye was a close second, and the lobster claws were fantastic.  The Duck Bacon was a huuuuge hit. Thank all y'all for your suggestions. A lot of them made the final cut. I've linked a few pics but unfortunately I forgot to take pics of some courses.

Here's the menu:

Course 1

Charcuterie Board

Duck Bacon 

Dry Cured Suacisson 

Cornichons 

Fig Jam

Nuts

Mustard Assortment

8 month Gouda 

Edam

Datil Jelly

Morello Cherry Preserve

Ginger Conserve

Course 2

Carrot-Ginger Soup

Course 3

Foie Gras and Duck Terrine assortment with crostini, french bread, gluten free toast.

Duck Foie Gras

Course 4

1905 Salad

Course 5

Course 6 

Course 7

Nantucket Bay Scallops 

Murasaki Mash

Course 8 

You need to work on your plating skills, chef.  ;) J/k, all of it looks amazing. Did you make the terrines?

You need to work on your plating skills, chef.  ;) J/k, all of it looks amazing. Did you make the terrines?
I'm a non-comp BBQ guy. Presentation is for sure not my jam. It was a minor miracle I didn't serve this all on paper plates. I did not make the terrines. If I do this again, I will but not something I could tackle this go around. They were very good but I've had better and I think I could do better.

Hunger is the best seasoning. 

Anyone who has backpacked, or done anything exhausting without eating for hours, has learned this expression. Some of my best meals have been dehydrated camping food.
:lol:

Indeed. That stuff tastes like Michelin star cuisine after a big hike. Freeze dried Beef Stew or Chicken and Dumplings are tough to beat.

Here's the menu:

Course 1

Charcuterie Board

Duck Bacon 

Dry Cured Suacisson 

Cornichons 

Fig Jam

Nuts

Mustard Assortment

8 month Gouda 

Edam

Datil Jelly

Morello Cherry Preserve

Ginger Conserve

Course 2

Carrot-Ginger Soup

Course 3

Duck Foie Gras

Course 4

1905 Salad

Course 5

Course 6 

Course 7

Nantucket Bay Scallops 

Murasaki Mash

Course 8 

Awesome job. Damn. That’s a lot of work. Sounds like a great time.

Users who are viewing this thread