What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

World's Greatest Draft (1 Viewer)

Wildcards - Gavrilo Princip (post #3916) (11.01)
I get it, you don't like to deduce further actions from his bullet unto him because he did not have a say in that but this could be related to today and the War on Terror. Bin Laden was a threat, not liked, caused damage, killed people and so on, but the War on Terror did not begin until two planes felled the World Trade Centers. Ferdinand was not liked, he was not loved, but he was a part of the country and leaders. People protect themselves and their leaders, even if hated, when the country is attacked. That is what happened after Princip's bullet. That was a catalyst to the war. Nobody can deny that. Back to Bin Laden. People attribute the war in Afghanistan and Iraq as well as future terror to him, although he may not have had a hand in either. But, the War on Terror trumps all in this matter and that equates to Bin Laden. While Princip may have fired one bullet killing a leader, many of the events I listed can be traced back to that one event. Fine, you might not agree but your disagreement does not deem it so.
Both paragraphs full of BS.Comparing Princip to Bin Laden is a joke. Compare him to one of the pilots maybe, but not to the organizational leader. Princip's bullet was a catalyst, not THE catalyst.

As for AbL responsible for Iraq too? Horse manure. Because he was used as a PR device to go back into a country we'd already invaded for reasons that had nothing to do with the War on Terror? More strained and fractured logic.

By the same token, your extra fancible links of causality do not make it so.

If anyone is around Monday morning, would you mind quoting this write-up into the playoff thread? TIA. It's amatuerish, I know, but I procrastinated it to basically the last second before I left for vacation.

Thorn

Leader: Peter the Great (13.07) (wiki). Brought Russia out of the dark ages. One of the first truly great leaders in the modern era.

Military: Gustavus Adolphus (5.07) (wiki). Known as The Father of Modern Warfare, he made Sweden a military giant in Europe in the 1600s. Sweden!

Scientist/Mathematitian: Euclid (4.14) (wiki). There were a lot of great picks in this category, but I think people kind of forgot that it included mathematitians. This collated the understandings of engineering and became The Father of Geometry. He wrote a textbook that has been used for well over 2000 years.

Inventor: Alexander Graham Bell (6.14) (wiki). Maybe you've heard of him.

Discoverer/Explorer: Christopher Columbus (1.07) (wiki). I don't need to explain this one. Despite Larry's ramblings, when you think of explorer, you think of Columbus. Ranked first in the category.

Humanitarian/Saint/Martyr: Maurice Pate (18.14) (wiki). The Co-Founder of UNICEF, he refused to be nominated for a Nobel Peace prize. He also refused to help found the organization shortly after WWII unless the children of the defeated also recieved the same aid.

Novelist/short story: James Joyce (3.07) (wiki). The greatest novelist of all time. Sorry, Tim. Also ranked first in the category.

Playwright/Poet: Petrarch (17.07) (wiki). I thought I got great value here, as this guy made the sonnet what it is today, and he is still held up as the gold standard. The judge didn't agree. Oh well, it was a stacked category.

Villain: Slobodan Milosevic (8.14) (wiki). Over 200,000 deaths as part of a genocide are his. Not to mention much of them included raping the women in front of the families and killing all the males in a village regardless of age.

Athlete: Wayne Gretzky (15.07) (wiki). Not sure how the Canadian judge wouldn't put him #1, but another spot where I thought I got great value.

Composer: Johann Strauss (10.14) (wiki). I don't know much about classical music, but Strauss was no slouch.

Muscian/ Performer: Frank Sinatra (11.07) (wiki). The Chairman of the Board.

Painter: Pierre-August Renoir (7.07) (wiki). The great Impressionist painter.

Artist/ Non Painter: Lorenzo Gheberti (16.14) (wiki). Sculptor of the baptsitry doors in Florence, which Michaelangelo thought were so perfect that they were the "Gates to Paradise."

Philosopher: Fredriech Nietzsche (12.14) (wiki). According to the judges, my best value pick. 12th round, ranked 3rd. He questioned the objectivity of truth and was famous (or infamous) for the statment: God is dead.

Religious Figure: St. Paul (2.14) (wiki). Some claim he was more instrumental in the spread of Christianity than Jesus Christ.

Celebrity: John F. Kennedy (14.14) (wiki). One of the first truly globally recognizable figures.

Intellectual: William Blackstone (19.07) (wiki). The man who compiled the common law into organized and thoughtful texts. The knock is that his thoughts weren't original, but I'd submit that the idea that law could be organized and accessible is revolutionary, and his doing so influenced hundreds of years of legal scholars.

Rebel: Mikhail Gorbachev (20.14) (wiki). Some complained that he wasn't a rebel because he worked within the system, but the fact is he fought for wholesale change and was successful at it.

Wildcard: Oliver Cromwell (9.07) (wiki). One of the most important leaders in the history of Europe.

Wildcard: Shaka Zulu (21.07) (wiki). From a tribe of a few hundred in a land with no political organization, he built the 250,000 strong Zulu nation in the 1700s. Also a military mastermind.

Wildcard: Antonie von Leeuwenhoek (22.14) (wiki). Another great value pick at the end. The inventor of the simple microscope, The Father of Microbiology, and plainly a giant of science.

Can we have an update on how the playoffs are shaping up, or is Tamshoshette on a Sabbatical?
First Round
World's Greatest Draft Playoff #1: Mario Kart (13) defeated HERBERT THE HIPPO (20) 45-42
World's Greatest Draft Playoff #2: DC Thunder (14) defeated Usual21 (19) 26-14
World's Greatest Draft Playoff #3: higgins (15) defeated larry_boy_44 (18) 44-42
World's Greatest Draft Playoff #4: Big Rocks (16) defeated Mister CIA (17) 29-13Second Round

World's Greatest Draft Playoff #5: Doug B (1) defeated Big Rocks (16) 29-11
World's Greatest Draft Playoff #6: Arsenal of Doom (2) defeated higgins (15) 28-8
World's Greatest Draft Playoff #7: BobbyLayne (3) defeated DC Thunder (14) 26-12
World's Greatest Draft Playoff #8: Mario Kart (13) defeated thatguy (4) 33-30
World's Greatest Draft Playoff #9: Andy Dufresne (12) defeated Mad Sweeney (5) 36-29
World's Greatest Draft Playoff #10: John Maddens Lunchbox (11) defeated FUBAR (6) 31-8Monday: World's Greatest Draft Playoff #11: Thorn (7) v. Abrantes (10)

Tuesday: World's Greatest Draft Playoff #12: Yankee23fan (8) v. Acer FC (9)

Quarter Finals

Wednesday: World's Greatest Draft Playoff #13: Doug B (1) v. [Yankee23fan (8) / Acer FC (9)] winner

Thursday: World's Greatest Draft Playoff #14: Arsenal of Doom (2) v. [Thorn (7) / Abrantes (10)] winner

Friday: World's Greatest Draft Playoff #15: BobbyLayne (3) v. John Maddens Lunchbox (11)

Sun Tzu vs Vlad the Impaler is on Deadliest Warrior this Tuesday, made me think of this. Lets see if Mr. 1.01 can hang with the inspiration for Dracula.

I don't want you to feel defensive, but I would like to know - and I have asked this several times already - how does Usain Bolt rank higher than Jesse Owens?Owens set 5 world records and tied another in 45 minutes at the 1935 Big Ten Championships.His long jump record that day last 25 years.The next summer he won four gold medals in Berlin.
Update?

I don't want you to feel defensive, but I would like to know - and I have asked this several times already - how does Usain Bolt rank higher than Jesse Owens?Owens set 5 world records and tied another in 45 minutes at the 1935 Big Ten Championships.His long jump record that day last 25 years.The next summer he won four gold medals in Berlin.
Update?
Owens set 5 world records and tied another in 45 minutes at the 1935 Big Ten Championships.

Can we have an update on how the playoffs are shaping up, or is Tamshoshette on a Sabbatical?
First Round
[*]World's Greatest Draft Playoff #1: Mario Kart (13) defeated HERBERT THE HIPPO (20) 45-42

[*]World's Greatest Draft Playoff #2: DC Thunder (14) defeated Usual21 (19) 26-14

[*]World's Greatest Draft Playoff #3: higgins (15) defeated larry_boy_44 (18) 44-42

[*]World's Greatest Draft Playoff #4: Big Rocks (16) defeated Mister CIA (17) 29-13

Second Round

[*]World's Greatest Draft Playoff #5: Doug B (1) defeated Big Rocks (16) 29-11

[*]World's Greatest Draft Playoff #6: Arsenal of Doom (2) defeated higgins (15) 28-8

[*]World's Greatest Draft Playoff #7: BobbyLayne (3) defeated DC Thunder (14) 26-12

[*]World's Greatest Draft Playoff #8: Mario Kart (13) defeated thatguy (4) 33-30

[*]World's Greatest Draft Playoff #9: Andy Dufresne (12) defeated Mad Sweeney (5) 36-29

[*]World's Greatest Draft Playoff #10: John Maddens Lunchbox (11) defeated FUBAR (6) 31-8

Monday: World's Greatest Draft Playoff #11: Thorn (7) v. Abrantes (10)

Tuesday: World's Greatest Draft Playoff #12: Yankee23fan (8) v. Acer FC (9)

Quarter Finals

Wednesday: World's Greatest Draft Playoff #13: Doug B (1) v. [Yankee23fan (8) / Acer FC (9)] winner

Thursday: World's Greatest Draft Playoff #14: Arsenal of Doom (2) v. [Thorn (7) / Abrantes (10)] winner

Friday: World's Greatest Draft Playoff #15: BobbyLayne (3) v. John Maddens Lunchbox (11)
who won? don't leave me hangin' here.catfights, conspiracy theories, ballot stuffing, and LB's posts aside, this was a really interesting read.

i laughed, i cried, and i learned a hell of a lot. well done.

ROUND EIGHT:

1. Abrantes Thomas Hobbes

2. Mister Cia Pol Pot

3. Bobby Layne William The Conqueror

4. Herbert The Hippo Andrea Palladio

5. Andy Dufresne Elvis Presley

6. thatguy James Maxwell

7. Usual21 Frederick Douglass

8. John Madden's Lunchbox Princess Diana

9. higgins Winston Churchill

10. Big Rocks Aeschylus

11. Mad Sweeney Josef Mengele

12. Doug B Vlad the Impaler

13. DC Thunder King Tutankahmen

14. Thorn Slobodan Milosevic

15. Yankee23fan Maximilian Robespierre

16. Acer FC Johannes Brahms

17. FUBAR Pope John Paul II

18. Arsenal of Doom Thucydides

19. Larry Boy 44 Muhammad ibn Musa Khwarizmi

20. Mario Kart Pope Gregory XIII

best pick: William I. monarchs got short shrift in this draft, so i thought i'd highlight England's final captor. Maybe being born into their roles put you all off them & rightfully so for many. William was that odd story of royally born but illegitimate, so the hunger for a kingdom denied in his own country got played out across the channel. runnerup: Palladio. when i saw the non-painter artist category, i thought sure the cat would be lousy with architects. turned out not to be the case, so hafta give props where i can to those who build, a talent which blows me away.

worst pick: Robespierre. i'd not have as much of a problem with the pick if it was as a villain instead of rebel. as a leftist radical, i am impossibly disheartened by how badly almost every revolution in its name has turned. this punk set the cause of freedom back a century with his shameless shenanigans. i did, however, have delicious fun creating his fictional equivalent in my mistress-of-the-era novel, Revolution of the Senses. i made him a boy who helps my protagonist runaway from a molesting father & who premees in his only encounter with her, setting him off on a career of repression. runnerup: Popes - pimps right down to their hats. feh -

most interesting: the villains - Vlad, Mengele, Pot, Slobo, Elvis. BWAAAAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
Totally agree on Robespierre. The use of violence to perfect humanity was born. Animal Farm could have been ripped from the pages of his life.

Last edited by a moderator:
six years later, I have no idea why I took Victor Hugo so high. Otherwise not bad.

This draft was fun.

I bump this only because it was one of my favorite threads of all time and it reminds me of what this forum is capable of.  If you're new to this forum, I urge you to give it a read.

ETA: except for that sun tzu pick.  That was ####ed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bump this only because it was one of my favorite threads of all time and it reminds me of what this forum is capable of.  If you're new to this forum, I urge you to give it a read.

I always liked these kind of drafts.  And the deadly animal draft too of course.  I just missed the russian bride draft.

Sun Tzu was the correct pick. He would have been a steal at 1.02. Every historian agrees with the Sun Tzu pick. 

Users who are viewing this thread