What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst Fold in the History of Poker (1 Viewer)

Zegras11

Footballguy
This was so crazy last night. I watched it on PokerGo.

Worst FOLD in the history of poker.

Three were left. $50k entry Players Championship.
prizes:
1st - $954K
2nd - $589k
3rd - 404K

The guy came all the way back from all in, with an incredible horrid fold to win.

Cost the 3rd place guy $185k with that fold.

"There may have been some magic in Cates channeling the energy of his fans after all. At one point during an epic three-way clash among Cates, Ryan Leng and Paul Volpe, Cates was down to one last big bet in limit hold’em. Leng put in a value-bet with ace-five on an ace-jack-seven-nine-king board and Cates raised all-in for his last 900,000. Despite getting 11-to-1 on a call with top pair, Leng decided it was too unlikely that Cates was bluffing and made the fold face-up.

Cates triumphantly flipped over the king-queen, winning the big pot on a bluff to spark a comeback that would eventually lead to his victory."
So Insane.

All he had to do was call 300k, or ONE HALF of a bet in limit hold em. There were over 19 million chips in play among the three of them.

https://www.poker.org/dan-jungleman-cates-wins-2021-wsop-50k-poker-players-championship-in-goku-cosplay/ 

Last edited by a moderator:
This was so crazy last night. I watched it on PokerGo.

Worst FOLD in the history of poker.

Three were left. $50k entry Players Championship.
prizes:
1st - $954K
2nd - $589k
3rd - 404K

The guy came all the way back from all in, with an incredible horrid fold to win.

Cost the 3rd place guy $185k with that fold.

"There may have been some magic in Cates channeling the energy of his fans after all. At one point during an epic three-way clash among Cates, Ryan Leng and Paul Volpe, Cates was down to one last big bet in limit hold’em. Leng put in a value-bet with ace-five on an ace-jack-seven-nine-king board and Cates raised all-in for his last 900,000. Despite getting 11-to-1 on a call with top pair, Leng decided it was too unlikely that Cates was bluffing and made the fold face-up.

Cates triumphantly flipped over the king-queen, winning the big pot on a bluff to spark a comeback that would eventually lead to his victory."
So Insane.

All he had to do was call 300k, or ONE HALF of a bet in limit hold em. There were over 19 million chips in play among the three of them.

https://www.poker.org/dan-jungleman-cates-wins-2021-wsop-50k-poker-players-championship-in-goku-cosplay/ 
Gotta call that. He deserves his loss 

With still 8+ million in chips, have to call 300k just for the chance to knock someone out. 

It was a terrible bet that got rewarded 

the fold might have been over thinking but the odds of someone folding there or not being able to beat kq are both so bad and the icm implications of betting your last chips are just awful.  

this is moneymaker vs farha saying you must have missed your flush but still folding. It’s possible for both players to suck

I’ve folded a few hands when playing with friends where I would have won the pot that hand, but obviously not for this much money. 

Looks like a chip dump. 
That's what I thought.  Folding there is absurd.  Especially claiming he was worried about K-7.  WTF. 

He had A-A-K-J-9.  The amount to call is paltry compared to the pot and your stack.  You beat a bluff, and you at least tie a bunch of hands.

I would think so if I was the 3rd guy. 
I watched the whole thing.  That didn't happen here.   The guy that won was a crazy MFer that night.  And he used some of that craziness when he said raise.  They were at the end of five grueling days in the $50k entry event.

The guy that folded has owned up to it incredibly well.  Got caught up in the moment, the exhaustion and didnt realize it was only a half bet.  He's a NL player that's had very good success at mixed games at the WSOP this year. He snap read it like a NL hand, not a limit hand.

Users who are viewing this thread