What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst NFL sayings by broadcasters (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
This year it is “Line to gain”.

Other notables include: “He made a football move”, “Physicality”,

A minor peeve, mostly said by Collinsworth: “The National Football League”

I don’t hear broadcasters referring to the NBA as “the National Basketball Association” or MLB as “Major League Baseball” during games. It’s “the NBA” or “the majors”. But somehow we have to be reminded what the letters NFL stand for.

Touchdown! There are no flags! - every time a long TD is scored with Joe Buck at the mic
Can you blame him? When you've seen as much yellow laundry as he does with Troy Aikman on MNF you get a little PTSD
Remember, this crew was the #1 on FOX for 2 decades. They were typically handed the Game of the Week every week
These 2 get handed some hot turds on MNF and we've even heard Aikman say "This is unwatchable" and we're still watching
:lol:

But you're right Mike, he does say it every bleeping time.

I don’t hear broadcasters referring to the NBA as “the National Basketball Association” or MLB as “Major League Baseball” during games. It’s “the NBA” or “the majors”. But somehow we have to be reminded what the letters NFL stand for.
I find something similar in other sports, notably hockey. A lot of announcers say "this hockey game" or "hockey team". We know what sport it is, but thanks.

Years ago, when that horrible ESPN Monday night trio of Thiesman and the two other guys were doing it, there was a brief period where every other statement from them was some form of verbal fellatio of Michael Vick. It culminated one night after a dominant performance by the Falcons defense, when one of those yahoos said "The reason this Atlanta Defense is doing so well tonight is because of Michael Vick."

MNF was on mute going forward after that. The day they got rid of those three was a great day.

For me it's not close

Jim Nantz - Hello Friends

I want to punch him in the face every time I hear that

...this running back is so good because of his "low center of gravity".........

Say what now? You are telling me this running back is so good because of his low center of gravity? What about all those tall receivers out there that are great runners after the catch? I would guess their center of gravity to be a bit higher than a short running back.

I've hated that one for years.

Nothing specific, but over analysis drives me nuts. Chris Collinsworth is a great example of this. After every play he feels to go into some in depth analysis of this and that. It's exhausting.
Me and my two boys have a Schmeat Meter for Collinsworth for how many jocks the dude rides every week. He'll start rolling and one of the boys will say:

"he's riding Hurts schmeat now"

Then minutes later:

"Now he's on Daniel Jones"

Five minutes later:

"Jeez now he's on Saquon. Surprised he can still talk."

Yes! I have noticed this one, totally overused.

Yeah I dunno, I hear a lot of talking heads say "National Football League", not just Collinsworth. But you're right.

The "wide receiver room" the "running back room" - so many rooms.
OMG yes. Room. Building. WTF?

----

And I've noted this one in the "Phrases...." thread in the FFA, but the phrase-du-jour for this year for anyone covering the NFL is "to your point....". It's everywhere now.

Anything Joe Buck or Troy Aikman say.
This. And it's not really close

And one of my all time favorites that dates back to the mid-1970's (at least)...

"He connects with the big tight end...."

So we're clear the QB's not throwing to the 5'11, 195 lb tight end

For me it's not close

Would you prefer he just say "Hello" without "Friends". Hard to get annoyed by "Hello Friends", unless you have other axes to grind.

Yes! I have noticed this one, totally overused.

Yeah I dunno, I hear a lot of talking heads say "National Football League", not just Collinsworth. But you're right.

The "wide receiver room" the "running back room" - so many rooms.
OMG yes. Room. Building. WTF?

----

And I've noted this one in the "Phrases...." thread in the FFA, but the phrase-du-jour for this year for anyone covering the NFL is "to your point....". It's everywhere now.
You quoted me on something I didn't say. The middle one. That was posted by @Lansdowne Get the quote right :)

It was a recent college broadcast but RGIII used the word execute or execution at least 6 times in two back to back sentences. It seemed like that gag from Super Troopers where someone challenged him to say it as many times as possible.

That was a "great golf shot"

I am watching, I know what sport they are playing. Never say that is a great hockey shot, great basketball shot.

The one thing mentioned in almost every game I have watched this year is a team having the ball inside the two minute warning before the half and getting the second half kickoff. The announcers usually make some comment that they could potentially put the game out of reach with TDs on those possessions.

However, the team with the ball rarely does anything and the OTHER team scores before halftime. Then the team receiving the kickoff has multiple times turned the ball over in the first few plays and the OTHER team is the one putting up back-to-back possessions with points.

I REALLY laugh when it’s the Patriots as the team in position to have back-to-back possessions, and some then there’s some talk about how that was a NE staple for decades. I doubt the Pats have scored on two consecutive possessions this year, and they certainly haven’t done anything before halftime. The broadcast team needs to put that talk out to pasture.

Mike Tirico every time a player is injured he sounds like they are preparing last rights for the player

"We'll step out" or "We'll step away" as if he and Collinsworth are going to leave the booth and go...where exactly?

Mike Tirico every time a player is injured he sounds like they are preparing last rights for the player

"We'll step out" or "We'll step away" as if he and Collinsworth are going to leave the booth and go...where exactly?
“We’ll step aside” and scarf down on this complimentary food in the booth.

Last edited:
I hate when announcers are too afraid to sound wrong, and be off by a yard from where the guy is tackled.

A guy will clearly be tackled and he'll fall dead on the 4. Announcer will say "and he's tackled inside the 5", also heard inside the 20, etc etc. That kind of nondescript language could mean anything.

Al Michaels is the only one I can think of that has the balls to name a yard line, just going off his own vision. I respect that.

A lot of good ones in here. Although, I must say, there is nothing more annoying in the sport of football than having to listen to Dak Prescott's cadence.

"Okay, here we gooooooo."

alacrity, caught in the wash,
For me it's not close

LOL this is so true! watch NFL gameday on NFLN, you don't ever hear Nantz. watch the Masters 10 minutes after it starts to avoid the 'hello friends'.
Mountain of a man.

Users who are viewing this thread