What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Brown, PHI (6 Viewers)

I'm back and forth between Harry and Brown so I cant blame this pick at all. my only concern is which wr gets the kiss of death from Baltimore 
Me too. Probably going Brown or Harry. Landing spot matters. I still prefer Harry but think they both will be great.

Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown is visiting the New York Giants and Washington Redskins.

Brown (6'0/226) would be an option for the Giants' No. 37 overall pick and the Redskins' No. 46 overall pick if he makes it that far. The big slot receiver currently sits on the Day 1/2 borderline as one of the top receiver prospects in the draft. Brown has years of production and showed decent speed (4.49) for a big player, so he has checked all of the boxes. In fact, Brown has been compared to JuJu Smith-Schuster, Michael Thomas, and Alshon Jeffery.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 3, 2019, 12:57 PM

Shepard, Tate, Engram and AJ?  I believe AJ can play outside as well but he'd be more effective to move around the formation and not be stuck outside.  I don't think the other guys can do that on that team.  That's a terrible idea if I'm thinking as a GM.  But then again if I think like Gettleman, then I can play 4 players in the slot TOGETHER!!!! WOO HOO!!!!

Zyphros said:
Shepard, Tate, Engram and AJ?  I believe AJ can play outside as well but he'd be more effective to move around the formation and not be stuck outside.  I don't think the other guys can do that on that team.  That's a terrible idea if I'm thinking as a GM.  But then again if I think like Gettleman, then I can play 4 players in the slot TOGETHER!!!! WOO HOO!!!!
When OBJ was out last year, did they keep Shepard in the slot or did he move outside? Also I wonder if Engram could just move to outside WR? Looking at his measurables and he is basically DK Metcalf with better agility. 

Last edited by a moderator:
When OBJ was out last year, did they keep Shepard in the slot or did he move outside? Also I wonder if Engram could just move to outside WR? Looking at his measurables and he is basically DK Metcalf with high end agility. 
Sheppard plays outside, and will be playing there regularly, now that they have Tate, who is not a capable outside receiver. AJ Brown makes no sense for them, unless they trade Tate.

Sheppard plays outside, and will be playing there regularly, now that they have Tate, you is not a capable outside receiver. AJ Brown makes no sense for them, unless they trade Tate.
The only thing is that all the scouting dailies that I've read say that he played outside the second half of the year at Ole Miss. If Shepard can play outside at 4.48, Brown should be able to at 4.49, which is almost a millisecond slower. But I totally agree that the Giants have no pressing need for him. Probably just due diligence.  

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller compared Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown to Pittsburgh Steelers WR JuJu Smith-Schuster.

"A.J. Brown doesn't have the elite measurables of D.K. Metcalf or the production of Marquise Brown," Miller writes, "but he's the best all-around receiver and has NFL-ready athleticism, route running and hands." He refers to the 6-foot, 226-pounder as a "natural athlete" who boasts an "impressive" run-after-catch ability. We have also seen Brown comped to Michael Thomas and Alshon Jeffery over the course of the evaluating season.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 3, 2019, 5:15 PM

From data in the PFF Draft Guide:

This year AJ Brown ran 254 routes from the slot for 76 targets and 59/800/5 receiving (3.15 yards per route, 10.50 YPT). On the rest of his routes (which were presumably all or almost all out wide) he ran 180 routes for 39 targets and 25/507/1 receiving (2.82 yards per route, 13.00 YPT).

This year AJ Brown ran 254 routes from the slot for 76 targets and 59/800/5 receiving (3.15 yards per route, 10.50 YPT). On the rest of his routes (which were presumably all or almost all out wide) he ran 180 routes for 39 targets and 25/507/1 receiving (2.82 yards per route, 13.00 YPT).
Thanks for that. Your dynasty/draft ranking thread is awesome, by the way.  

Good info...thanks

Per Pro Football Focus, Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown led SEC WRs in explosive plays.

Brown (6'0/226) lapped the competition with 33 explosive plays which are receptions of 20 yards or more. The next closest wideouts were Missouri WR Emmanuel Hall with 19 and South Carolina WR Deebo Samuel with 18. Brown likely profiles as a big slot receiver at the next level but has the ability to be a strong outside wide receiver as well. His draft stock currently sits right on the border of Rounds 1 and 2.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus on Twitter

Apr 6, 2019, 7:11 AM

According to ESPN's Mike Reiss, the Patriots held a pre-draft visit with Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown.

The Patriots hosted a number of receivers leading up to the draft including Brown, Arizona State's N'Keal Harry, Baylor's Jalen Hurd and South Carolina's Deebo Samuel. All would be strong fits for an offense thin on pass-catchers, especially following the offseason losses of Chris Hogan and star tight end Rob Gronkowski. Brown outproduced teammate D.K. Metcalf throughout his Ole Miss tenure and despite being pegged as a slot receiver, he's also shown he can play on the outside. Our own Evan Silva had New England selecting Brown 32nd overall in his latest mock draft.

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Apr 21, 2019, 7:29 AM

According to Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline, there are scouts that believe Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown could slide into the latter portion of the first round.

"Right now the only consensus first round receiver is Marquise Brown out of Oklahoma," Pauline said on the Draft Analysts podcast Thursday morning. "After that there are some people who feel that A.J. Brown of Mississippi could slide into the late part of round one." Brown's current draft prospects appear to be better than those of his college teammate D.K. Metcalf, who some have labeled as a "media creation" due to his on-field production not matching the physical tools he possesses. While there has been the occasional mock draft that's projected Brown to be a mid-first round option, it's more likely that he goes in the second with a shot at sneaking into the final picks of the first round.

SOURCE: Draft Analysts Podcast

Apr 25, 2019, 12:17 PM

Titans selected Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown with the No. 51 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Brown (6’1/226) turned pro as a true junior after breaking Ole Miss’ all-time records in receiving yards (2,984) and 100-plus-yard games (12). A unanimous first-team All-SEC pick in each of his two seasons as a starter, Brown is a natural tackler breaker who averaged 7.6 career yards after catch and tracks the ball beautifully in the air as a former star prep outfielder who signed with the Padres out of high school. Plenty fast (4.49) with 77th-percentile athleticism, Brown’s pluses are route running, hands, physicality, and versatility after winning inside and out at Ole Miss. He profiles on the JuJu Smith-Schuster spectrum.

Apr 26, 2019, 6:43 PM

Ugh - just not a good spot for one of the best WRs in the class. 

I am preaching patience. Rookie year will be rough but next year they will draft a QB high and things could turn around.
Mariota is good enough that they'll finish something like 5-11, 6-10.  That's not top pick territory for them to replace him.  Hard for me to optimistic about that landing spot after Corey Davis was my golden boy a few years ago.  I don't blame the WR's at all, I blame Mariota and that ancient system they run.  Either way, I can't trust their talent to out for the next few years.  

Mariota is good enough that they'll finish something like 5-11, 6-10.  That's not top pick territory for them to replace him.  Hard for me to optimistic about that landing spot after Corey Davis was my golden boy a few years ago.  I don't blame the WR's at all, I blame Mariota and that ancient system they run.  Either way, I can't trust their talent to out for the next few years.  
I think Brown fits Mariotta’s game better than Davis does - but not an ideal landing spot.

I’ll say to be fair Davis was banged up his rookie year and Mariota was dinged last year. But yeah this is a bad, bad spot.

I liked Brown a lot when I was reviewing the 2019 class for a devy draft a year ago and I still like him a lot.

After taking a quick look at everyone last night and this afternoon to get caught up, I tentatively have him as the 1.02 rookie pick behind Jacobs.

This class is weak and he just flashes for me more than Brown (small/frail/skinny), Harry (like him, but don't love him), or Samuel (solid, but not a lot of wow factor).

It's a dynasty cliche, but I usually draft for talent and not situation. Situations are very fluid in the NFL with the constant revolving door of coaches and new faces. Obviously you'd prefer him to land with a young franchise QB like Wentz or Mahomes, but if you like the player then situation should probably only be a tiebreaker. I don't like many other WRs in this class, but I do like Brown. That makes him my #1 WR in the group as of this moment.

I too liked AJ a lot predraft and feel he's the most complete WR in the draft.  Mariota is crap, but I think AJ's a better fit for TEN than what Davis is in their current situation.  

My best hope here is something Waldman has written about in the past. The idea that a large portion of the WR1 fantasy seasons have come in seasons where the WR in question had a teammate that was also at least a WR2. Maybe Davis and Brown will make each other better. But it is still a run first offense with a QB nobody seems to believe in. 

Users who are viewing this thread