What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Calvin Ridley, TEN (1 Viewer)

I found it interesting that Zay Jones outscored Kirk in hppr the 2nd half of the season. Was Kirk hurt? Could Zay be a factor even with Ridley?

I found it interesting that Zay Jones outscored Kirk in hppr the 2nd half of the season. Was Kirk hurt? Could Zay be a factor even with Ridley?
Kirk is just a good slot receiver. Zay is just a guy. Good secondary options, but neither are an alpha. There was no one else to throw to last year. Ridley is on another planet in terms of talent. Every single rep I've seen of Ridley in practice looks like he still has all the explosiveness he did before he took his hiatus. This guy is a 100 catch 1500 yd type dude as long as Trevor takes that next step, and I believe he will. His ADP keep creeping which sucks, but I've got him at WR11 personally.

He will finish as a Top 10 WR. I work for FantasyPros.com and in our 16 person work league I took him in the 2nd round without hesitation.

It's a contract year for this young man and based on his gambling habits, dude is highly motivated by money. Dude has to be super healthy and ready to run through a brick wall.

Talent, check. QB, check. Healthy, check. Chip on shoulder, check. Contract year, check.

Dude might catch 100 balls.

He will finish as a Top 10 WR. I work for FantasyPros.com and in our 16 person work league I took him in the 2nd round without hesitation.

It's a contract year for this young man and based on his gambling habits, dude is highly motivated by money. Dude has to be super healthy and ready to run through a brick wall.

Talent, check. QB, check. Healthy, check. Chip on shoulder, check. Contract year, check.

Agreed 100%

Ridley said that he sees himself as a 1400 yard wide receiver, and the coaches said we want to help him get there

Last edited:

And the dude might not catch 100 balls
Contract Year? He already played that card when he wanted a big deal from Atlanta and they wanted to push it off and suddenly Ridley wasn't mentally well enough to take the field.
But he's going to be well enough to place a bet, get suspended for a year and then get his wishes and be jettisoned form the team, yes/no?

He checks all the boxes for you guys over at Fantasy Pros but not at the Ministry of Pain!
64-63-90-31...those are reception totals thus far in his prolific NFL career.
143 targets is the most he has ever had, does Fantasy Pros have a projection for targets on this guy?
Chip on his shoulder? Is that how we are making projections? Sounds very emotional, we are dealing with a person battling mental instability so I'm not sure if the chip on his shoulder is such a great thing, possibly could be a negative. This guy should be doing yoga 3x a day, not walking around like Charles Bronson in Death Wish.

Contract Year? He already played that card when he wanted a big deal from Atlanta and they wanted to push it off and suddenly Ridley wasn't mentally well enough to take the field.
But he's going to be well enough to place a bet, get suspended for a year and then get his wishes and be jettisoned form the team, yes/no?

He checks all the boxes for you guys over at Fantasy Pros but not at the Ministry of Pain!
143 targets is the most he has ever had, does Fantasy Pros have a projection for targets on this guy?
Chip on his shoulder? Is that how we are making projections? Sounds very emotional, we are dealing with a person battling mental instability so I'm not sure if the chip on his shoulder is such a great thing, possibly could be a negative. This guy should be doing yoga 3x a day, not walking around like Charles Bronson in Death Wish.

I don’t agree with your projection because I’m expecting a big year, but this is a great post regardless.

If Zay Jones can catch 82 balls in this offense I’ll take the over on Ridley topping that. He may not get exactly 100 but he’ll likely be dang close.

If you don't like Ridley, that's cool, but if you don't think he has something to prove and is not the #1 receiver in that offense, that's cool, but I strongly disagree.

Your analysis is pretty disingenuous. In 2020 he had 90 catches in 15 games (6 catches per game). Had he played 16 games, he ends up with 96 catches. That's close enough to 100 in my book and shows he's capable.

In 2021, he had 31 catches in 5 games. That's 6.2 catches a game. 6.2 x 17 games = 105 catches.

So yes, his last two seasons he was trending towards 100 catches. He missed 1 season. I expect him to pickup where he left off which was averaging about 6 catches a game. He didn't tear his ACL, he had a year to get healthy mentally and physically. One could argue he might be better than ever. Or if you're a hater you can ignore his averages from his last two seasons that show he is probably a lock for 90 catches and that 100 is certainly in reach and instead make jokes about his mental illness.

But yes, since we are dealing with human beings, I do take into account their emotions. They aren't robots and they aren't just numbers on a screen. The human element is critically important and is the reason Kenny Golladay for example busted. Dude balled out to get a contract, then sandbagged.

From all accounts in camp, he looks great and has a positive attitude.

Dude is 28 and is playing for the last big payday coming off a suspension. The contract year is a proven commodity and even if you don't believe in that, the last two seasons he played he averaged 6 catches a game which puts him in the 90 to 100 catch range.

If you can provide a more scientific projection that goes beyond ragging on his mental health issues, I would be happy to listen. However, it sounds like you're ragging on someone you think is mentally ill, even though by all accounts it appears he is trying to turn his life around. But I would love to hear how many catches you think he will have and the rationale behind it.

Christian Kirk had 84 catches last year and Zay Jones had 82 catches last year. Is it a stretch to think Ridley couldn't catch 10 to 15 more passes than those guys did last year? Or does your perception of his mental illness make him incapable of matching the numbers of the two WR playing in the same offense as him last year?

Thanks in advance. Also, I hope you are kinder to people with mental illness in real life. I know he's a pro athlete, but he's still a human being and this is like two shades away from making fun of somebody who is depressed and/or suicidal.

I work for FantasyPros.com and in our 16 person work league I took him in the 2nd round without hesitation.
Interesting. What pick did you have in round 2?

I knew I wanted to go WR/WR since it's a PPR league. I wanted Olave or Waddle but they went right before me.

I figured Ridley wouldn't be there at 3.08 so if I wanted him I had to reaaaaach for him there. I was going to pick a WR there no matter what.

Next 5 WR off the board were Metcalf, D Smith, T Higgins, Keenan Allen, and Deebo Samuel. None of which I felt I could take over Ridley and his potential upside.

One potential reason to not expect 100 catches from Ridley, is that 2020 Falcons team lead the NFL in pass attempts. Ridley was 9th in targets that season despite missing a game, in his small sample size in 2021 he was on pace for more targets than anyone other than Cooper Kupp.

I don't know if that volume is possible in Jacksonville, there are so many other solid weapons to force feed Ridley like that. I think something around 130 targets is probably more reasonable, with maybe 85 catches. Having said that, Trevor Lawrence is probably better than that version of Matt Ryan, so there could be a YPR or TD boom. I've got Ridley WR13, so I'm seemingly above market on him, but I think he may be used differently than he was in Atlanta.

I work for FantasyPros.com and in our 16 person work league I took him in the 2nd round without hesitation.

I knew I wanted to go WR/WR since it's a PPR league. I wanted Olave or Waddle but they went right before me.

I figured Ridley wouldn't be there at 3.08 so if I wanted him I had to reaaaaach for him there. I was going to pick a WR there no matter what.

Next 5 WR off the board were Metcalf, D Smith, T Higgins, Keenan Allen, and Deebo Samuel. None of which I felt I could take over Ridley and his potential upside.
Thanks. That's super interesting. With 16 teamer than you do for sure have to reach if you REALLY want your guy but damn, I don't think I could personally take Ridley at the 25th overall pick.

One potential reason to not expect 100 catches from Ridley, is that 2020 Falcons team lead the NFL in pass attempts. Ridley was 9th in targets that season despite missing a game, in his small sample size in 2021 he was on pace for more targets than anyone other than Cooper Kupp.

I don't know if that volume is possible in Jacksonville, there are so many other solid weapons to force feed Ridley like that. I think something around 130 targets is probably more reasonable, with maybe 85 catches. Having said that, Trevor Lawrence is probably better than that version of Matt Ryan, so there could be a YPR or TD boom. I've got Ridley WR13, so I'm seemingly above market on him, but I think he may be used differently than he was in Atlanta.
That's funny because WR13 is exactly where he went in my draft.

Jaguars were a wacky team last year. Z Jones (82), C Kirk (84), and E Engram (73) combined for 239 catches last year.

One of those cats is going to significantly regress to make room for Ridley. I could definitely see Ridley cratering both Z Jones' and E Engram's production.

Lawrence could end up passing more, but that is truly speculative. 100 catches is pretty lofty, but you're right his TD potential is gnarly. In 35 career games, he's caught 28 TD.

Thanks. That's super interesting. With 16 teamer than you do for sure have to reach if you REALLY want your guy but damn, I don't think I could personally take Ridley at the 25th overall pick.
Then you're probably going to hate that I took Garrett Wilson at 1.08. 😅 The other non WR I could have taken over Ridley were J Mixon, R Stevenson, J Allen, N Harris, J Gibbs, A Jones, R White, etc.

It's not that I think Ridley is more talented than those guys, I just felt there was less of a drop-off at RB than WR (and it being PPR clinched it).

Ended up with Mattison (4.09), Dobbins (5.08), and Gibson (6.09) at RB. I ran a ton of mock drafts and WR/WR always resulted in the most complete teams.

Then you're probably going to hate that I took Garrett Wilson at 1.08
:shock:🤯😲
It may have been a ****up, but he had 83 / 1,103 / 4TD with Joe Flacco and Zach Wilson at QB. I think the sky is the limit with Rodgers at QB.

Same problem as Ridley. Wilson wasn't going to be there at 2.09. Kupp is 30 with an ACL tear, Diggs is 29 and is making a stink in camp, Adams is 30 with Garrapolo at QB.

CeeDee Lamb and AJ Brown may have been safer picks, but I don't think the difference will be significant enough to lose sleep over at the cost of getting "my guy".

Rodgers has never played with a first round WR. Wilson is 23 with no injury history playing with a HOF QB with no competition for targets. I think he can be a Top 5 WR and has a higher ceiling than every WR except Jefferson, Chase, Lamb, Hill, and Kupp.

Anywho, back to Calvin Ridley...

If you don't like Ridley, that's cool, but if you don't think he has something to prove and is not the #1 receiver in that offense, that's cool, but I strongly disagree.

Your analysis is pretty disingenuous. In 2020 he had 90 catches in 15 games (6 catches per game). Had he played 16 games, he ends up with 96 catches. That's close enough to 100 in my book and shows he's capable.

In 2021, he had 31 catches in 5 games. That's 6.2 catches a game. 6.2 x 17 games = 105 catches.

So yes, his last two seasons he was trending towards 100 catches. He missed 1 season. I expect him to pickup where he left off which was averaging about 6 catches a game. He didn't tear his ACL, he had a year to get healthy mentally and physically. One could argue he might be better than ever. Or if you're a hater you can ignore his averages from his last two seasons that show he is probably a lock for 90 catches and that 100 is certainly in reach and instead make jokes about his mental illness.

But yes, since we are dealing with human beings, I do take into account their emotions. They aren't robots and they aren't just numbers on a screen. The human element is critically important and is the reason Kenny Golladay for example busted. Dude balled out to get a contract, then sandbagged.

Dude is 28 and is playing for the last big payday coming off a suspension. The contract year is a proven commodity and even if you don't believe in that, the last two seasons he played he averaged 6 catches a game which puts him in the 90 to 100 catch range.

If you can provide a more scientific projection that goes beyond ragging on his mental health issues, I would be happy to listen. However, it sounds like you're ragging on someone you think is mentally ill, even though by all accounts it appears he is trying to turn his life around. But I would love to hear how many catches you think he will have and the rationale behind it.

Christian Kirk had 84 catches last year and Zay Jones had 82 catches last year. Is it a stretch to think Ridley couldn't catch 10 to 15 more passes than those guys did last year? Or does your perception of his mental illness make him incapable of matching the numbers of the two WR playing in the same offense as him last year?

Thanks in advance. Also, I hope you are kinder to people with mental illness in real life. I know he's a pro athlete, but he's still a human being and this is like two shades away from making fun of somebody who is depressed and/or suicidal.
Ridley is the one that didn't get what he wanted and decided to use mental health issues to not take the field and rob his 50 other teammates and coaches. MoP has nothing to do with that.
Don't sit there and act like this guys is a Saint, he insulted the entire mental health community, both those who suffer and the people who treat them.
And there's that 1 year suspension
I'm not a hater, just stating a fact the last couple years his mind really hasn't been on the game of football

Christian Kirk was WR12 in PPR
I guess you have Kirk being relegated to WR 30-35 now?
You want to take Ridley's career year since he's already 28 and you want to add more catches on top to reach 100.
But 90=100 to you, we're already using some funny math and trying to insult me with this science spin of yours.
Can I subtract 10 from a couple of his seasons, he's more like a 50 catch guy than 100.

Good Luck over at FP, look forward to other players you have a strong opinion on.
I think Kirk is better value being projected as WR30-35 coming off WR12 season in the slot.
Ridley if anything, will make it easier for Kirk to operate over the middle.
Maybe both will have big years.

Ridley is the one that didn't get what he wanted and decided to use mental health issues to not take the field and rob his 50 other teammates and coaches. MoP has nothing to do with that.
Don't sit there and act like this guys is a Saint, he insulted the entire mental health community, both those who suffer and the people who treat them.
I'm not a hater, just stating a fact the last couple years his mind really hasn't been on the game of football

You want to take Ridley's career year since he's already 28 and you want to add more catches on top to reach 100.
But 90=100 to you, we're already using some funny math and trying to insult me with this science spin of yours.
Can I subtract 10 from a couple of his seasons, he's more like a 50 catch guy than 100.

Good Luck over at FP, look forward to other players you have a strong opinion on.
I think Kirk is better value being projected as WR30-35 coming off WR12 season in the slot.
Agree to disagree, big guy! But let's have a drink of whiskey Week 4-6 and reevaluate the situation.

I feel like your concerns are valid and they are baked into Ridley's ADP of 38 and being drafted as WR16. If he was less of a headcase, he'd be going higher. But I'll take the dented can discount all day and take my chances of WR1 upside in my WR2/WR3.

As for Christian Kirk, I love the guy but he was an NFL #2 masquerading as a #1 last season. I think Kirk will take a hit to his value, but whether he ends up as WR30 to WR15 will depend on if the Jaguars pass the ball more this season. I personally expect more attempts in an offense that is more explosive. Jacksonville will have a Top 5 offense this season. More first downs = more opportunity.

Marvin Jones had 46 receptions last year and is gone now, so you can give those to Ridley. Zay Jones caught 82 passes last year and will be relegated to the bench, put him at 50 to 60 catches opens up 22 to 32 to give to Ridley. Evan Engram caught 73 passes, I think he'll drop down to 50 to 60. Depending on how you shake it that's about 81 to 101 passes opened up without stretching too much or downgrading Kirk.

From there, the rest is speculative on whether or not Jacksonville passes more than last year, but agreed, I think the pie can be cut in a way that leaves about the same amount of targets available to Kirk at the expense of Engram, M Jones, and Z Jones.

Ridley is the one that didn't get what he wanted and decided to use mental health issues to not take the field
Bad take, MoP. Like, really, really bad.
How do you know he isn’t right?
This might be worth a re-post

Not saying you have to buy it...but I do think Ridley tries to own his behavior and take responsibility for his mistakes in it. And prior to 2021, he hadn't come close to being seen as anything but a model teammate and pro.

It may have been a ****up, but he had 83 / 1,103 / 4TD with Joe Flacco and Zach Wilson at QB. I think the sky is the limit with Rodgers at QB.

Same problem as Ridley. Wilson wasn't going to be there at 2.09. Kupp is 30 with an ACL tear, Diggs is 29 and is making a stink in camp, Adams is 30 with Garrapolo at QB.

CeeDee Lamb and AJ Brown may have been safer picks, but I don't think the difference will be significant enough to lose sleep over at the cost of getting "my guy".

Rodgers has never played with a first round WR. Wilson is 23 with no injury history playing with a HOF QB with no competition for targets. I think he can be a Top 5 WR and has a higher ceiling than every WR except Jefferson, Chase, Lamb, Hill, and Kupp.

Kupp isn’t coming off an ACL. He had an ankle injury last year.

Kupp isn’t coming off an ACL. He had an ankle injury last year.
Correct, however, my point was he tore his ACL earlier in his career and that injury has a high chance of reinjury. So he's wrong side of 30 and has a higher chance of ACL injury.

I could see how it would be unclear based on how I wrote that. Odell is the poster boy for this, having torn his ACL twice in just a few years.

It's splitting hairs, sure, but if two players are about equal I use it as a tiebreaker.

Ridley is the one that didn't get what he wanted and decided to use mental health issues to not take the field
I don't. It's still a really, really bad take.
It is not if it is true...

To your point, mental health isn't something remotely to joke about. Let's get that out of the way... But this is not something that is mutually exclusive. Neither is being disingenuous and using mental health as a cover when there isn't a legit diagnosis/issue. I have no idea in this instance. But it would not be the first time it has happened. Think Ja Morant and gun videos.

Last edited:

To your point, mental health isn't something remotely to joke about. Let's get that out of the way... But this is not something that is mutually exclusive. Neither is being disingenuous and using mental health as a cover when there isn't a legit diagnosis/issue. I have no idea in this instance. But it would not be the first time it has happened. Think Ja Morant and gun videos.
We did this back in Oct/Nov 2021. It was a good discussion, and I was heartened that more people didn't take the "suck it up" stance.

It's worth going back to read the discussion at the time.

I didn't know what he would look like physically after a year away, or if he was going to spiral in an off the field manner with that much time off. Go all Art Schlicter gambling junkie on everyone.

But I have not heard a bad word, and he looks like he's in top shape, so.............game on.

We did this back in Oct/Nov 2021. It was a good discussion, and I was heartened that more people didn't take the "suck it up" stance.

It's worth going back to read the discussion at the time.
You and I are not in disagreement in this instance Chaka... I am not debating Ridley. In the absence of clear information, I lean toward compassion and understanding. And hopefully as a rule of thumb, in general.

All I am saying is it can also be used as a convenient excuse for those who F up... with zero true actual mental health issue. Besides being a moron. And in that case, it would be a disservice to those with actual mental health issues not to call out when it is being used disingenuously.

I'm sure you have all already read this, but not sure how anyone could think he is making things up after reading it.

EDIT: If you haven't read this whole thing, you need to. One of the most honest and eye opening things I've ever read from an athlete. People can try to play the "oh he could be lying" card, but if you or anyone you know has dealt with mental illness, you'd know this guy is not making this up as an excuse.

I'm sure you have all already read this, but not sure how anyone could think he is making things up after reading it.

EDIT: If you haven't read this whole thing, you need to. One of the most honest and eye opening things I've ever read from an athlete. People can try to play the "oh he could be lying" card, but if you or anyone you know has dealt with mental illness, you'd know this guy is not making this up as an excuse.
Oh I agree. Any NFL player that bets on football is mentally ill.

I don’t have anything worthwhile to offer but this is one of the scenarios that has me looking forward to the season. Ridley is the better talent but Kirk and Lawrence both “emerged” last year. They probably have that bond that good QBs-WRs have.

Younger ascending offense with future pro bowl QB. I'd think his passing attempts get a slight uptick. Decent passing options. I just think Ridley is the most talented of them.

His home was the target of gang related celebrity robberies. That is why he was experiencing severe anxiety and needed to step away from football. I wouldn't call that insulting the mental health community, but more of a moderate level of "Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder", not feeling safe in his own home, and not feeling that he could protect his family.

"Ridley wrote that when he returned home from the Week 1 game, he found that his house had been robbed by several armed men. He said it was traumatizing for his wife, and said as a father, it was his "worst nightmare," and said it took a toll on his mental health. He eventually decided to step away from the team and to see a therapist."

Have Ridley in a keeper/contract league at a great value ($3) due to the tumultuous last couple years. Thrilled with his situation with an ascendant young QB in Trevor Lawrence and solid intermediate targets in Kirk and Engram to draw coverage. I'm not ready to call Ridley a WR1... but I do think he is a solid WR2 (assuming health, the standard caveat applying).

And outside of my fake football team (which is meaningless, in the grand scheme of things)... on a bigger level, I'm pulling for the young man.

Calvin Ridley caught all three targets for 50 yards in the Jaguars’ preseason Week 3 game against the Dolphins.
Ridley’s exploits included a 28-yard toe-tapping grab along the sideline to set up a Travis Etienne score from three yards out in the second quarter. He has quickly established rapport with quarterback Trevor Lawrence and looks to be the legitimate alpha heading into 2023.

I was pretty cool on him. The idea of a guy coming back after missing that much time and being great is something we really haven’t seen happen often (ever?) and he only really had 1 year of WR1 production. That said I can’t deny the drumbeat and how he’s backed it up in preseason. It’s a great story if he can come back so I think I’m on board now.

That’s third round if it was a 12 team league. That seems fine.
3.01, yes. With an ADP of mid 4th. It's not horrific, but I would not be interested in Ridley at the 3.01, or Garrett Wilson at 1.08.

One argument I've read against Ridley is that he is 28 and has only on 1000 yard season. True. I just look at those 28 tds in 49 games. Thats like Gronk td rate stuff.

One argument I've read against Ridley is that he is 28 and has only on 1000 yard season. True. I just look at those 28 tds in 49 games. Thats like Gronk td rate stuff.
He's had a lot of stuff go wrong in his career (injuries, bad offense, contract stuff, suspension, etc.) Seems like all those things are gone now and he's ready to ball out.

I have seen enough to move past most risk concerns I had. I'd be okay taking him at the pick 40 range and feel fine
same. i took him at 4.2 (38th) last night as my wr3 and feel pretty good about it
You should feel great about Ridley as your WR3. Two drafts this weekend and I Ridley went in 3rd rd in both. Both were considerable buy ins and very competitive leagues. Drafting tonight in my home league. Very very easy to see him finishing top 10. Double digit TD's is a lock in this offense.

Users who are viewing this thread