What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Christian Watson, GB (1 Viewer)

Sammy Watkins was put on injured reserve.

That opens up one of the outside receiver slots, Lazard likes to be the SWR.

Should mean more snaps this week for Watson and Doubs, obviously I like the upside of Watson.
Drafted Watson but dropped because of Schultz situation -- debating on going back for him by dropping NYG defense. My gut says it likely won't be a breakout game for him, but it would pi## me off if he does go off and I originally drafted him. I'm too far down waivers to claim him if he does

Sammy Watkins was put on injured reserve.

That opens up one of the outside receiver slots, Lazard likes to be the SWR.

Should mean more snaps this week for Watson and Doubs, obviously I like the upside of Watson.
Drafted Watson but dropped because of Schultz situation -- debating on going back for him by dropping NYG defense. My gut says it likely won't be a breakout game for him, but it would pi## me off if he does go off and I originally drafted him. I'm too far down waivers to claim him if he does
Emotions shouldn't affect your decision one way or another. Even if you don't pick him up and he does drop 38 points, it shouldn't matter to you after the fact. Gotta stay objective and fact-based.

Sincerely,
Everyone until they're in the same type of situation

Doubs looks better in a small sample in games that count. In preseason, Doubs was very good, one deep pass, several in traffic.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Christian Watson (hamstring) is unlikely to play in Week 3 against the Bucs.​

After opening the week with a limited practice on Wednesday, Watson was downgraded to a DNP for the rest of the week. With Watson out and Sammy Watkins on injured reserve, Romeo Doubs will draw the start alongside Allen Lazard, who should lead the team in routes. Playing on a full share of snaps, Doubs has some life as a WR4/5 this week.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Sep 25, 2022, 8:42 AM ET

Not sure if Watson is worth holding in redraft anymore. Doubs had kind of a breakout game and Watson isn't on the field. Rodgers isn't going to be understanding if you aren't catching balls and aren't available.

Not sure if Watson is worth holding in redraft anymore. Doubs had kind of a breakout game and Watson isn't on the field. Rodgers isn't going to be understanding if you aren't catching balls and aren't available.
Yeah redraft, very droppable.

- It will likely take another couple weeks at least since it's a hammy.
- He's quickly dropping behind others now who have simply been able to get on the field.
- Rodgers will likely keep holding that drop against him until Watson makes a big clutch play with his then limited opportunities.

Yeah redraft, very droppable.

- It will likely take another couple weeks at least since it's a hammy.
- He's quickly dropping behind others now who have simply been able to get on the field.
- Rodgers will likely keep holding that drop against him until Watson makes a big clutch play with his then limited opportunities.
Yea I'm thinking the same. I have him in line to be dropped off my selections go through.

Chrisitian Watson (hamstring) is practicing Wednesday.​

Watson missed Week 3, allowing Romeo Doubs to play 89% of the snaps with Sammy Watkins (hamstring) on I.R. The Packers will probably deploy Allen Lazard, Randall Cobb, and Doubs in three-wide sets, with Watson mixing in as a big-play threat.
SOURCE: Ryan Wood on Twitter
Sep 28, 2022, 2:13 PM ET

Christian Watson (hamstring) practiced on Thursday.​

That's two practices in a row that Watson has participated in, though this could be another limited tag. If Watson is back and healthy, he could cut into Romeo Doubs' targets and time. So far, though, Doubs has looked to have superior chemistry with Aaron Rodgers.
SOURCE: Rob Demovsky on Twitter
Sep 29, 2022, 1:58 PM ET

Christian Watson (hamstring) was removed from the Week 4 injury report and will play against the Packers.​

Watson sat out Week 3 because of the hamstring issue but got in at least a limited session every day this week. He is good to go for Week 4 but could play on a snap count to prevent the injury from resurfacing. Watson should be left on fantasy benches until his role stabilizes.
Sep 30, 2022, 4:45 PM ET

Christian Watson (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday.​

Watson went down with the hamstring issue in Week 5. He was listed as questionable to return but ultimately remained on the sidelines for Green Bay's stunning loss to the Giants. Watson dealt with a hamstring issue early in the year. It's possible he was brought back too quickly and re-aggravated the injury. It makes sense for the Packers to hold him out for Week 6.
Oct 12, 2022, 4:57 PM ET

Christian Watson (hamstring) won't play in Week 6 against the Jets.​

Packers coach Matt LaFleur said the team is considering shutting Watson down for some time because of the lingering hamstring injury. Watson initially suffered the hamstring injury in Week 2. He was held out for a single week but reaggravated the issue in Week 5. Watson hasn't played much when healthy, so it makes sense for the Packers to hold him out for a few weeks. If he lands on injured reserve, Watson will be required to miss at least four games.
SOURCE: Matt Schneidman on Twitter
Oct 14, 2022, 3:44 PM ET

Christian Watson (concussion) did not practice Wednesday.​

Watson left Week 8 with a concussion and was unable to return. He was spotted working off to the side in Wednesday's practice but ultimately got the DNP tag. He will need to work his way through concussion protocols to play in Week 9. With one game over three catches this year, Watson is not on the fantasy radar.
Nov 2, 2022, 4:40 PM ET

Christian Watson (concussion) was practicing in pads on Thursday.​

That's a big step in the concussion protocol, though Watson does remain in the protocol. He now has a good chance of suiting up against the Lions, but it is not guaranteed. Despite Watson's spotty production and continual health woes, he would be an intriguing WR5 dart throw against the Lions' awful defense in a week where six teams are on bye.
SOURCE: Tom Silverstein on Twitter
Nov 3, 2022, 1:46 PM ET

Christian Watson did not return to Green Bay's Week 9 loss to the Lions after being evaluated for a concussion in the third quarter.

Watson got lit up on an 18-yard reception in the opening minute of the second half and was sent to the sideline for an evaluation by the referee. Watson was just returning from a concussion, but it's unclear if he has suffered a new head issue. It is possible the Packers were just exercising caution. Watson may have also tweaked his shoulder on the play. He should be considered questionable for Week 10 against the Cowboys.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Christian Watson (concussion) was seen at practice Wednesday.​

Watson left Week 9 with a concussion just before halftime and did not return. He also left Week 8 with a concussion. Practicing this early in the week is a good sign he will be able to play on Sunday, but the team could still exercise caution and hold him out again. Watson has been kept in a rotational role as a rookie, catching more than two passes just once. He will rank as a WR5/6 if he plays in Week 10.
SOURCE: Rob Demovsky on Twitter
Nov 9, 2022, 2:04 PM ET

Christian Watson did not suffer a concussion in Week 9.​

Watson is officially in the protocol because he did not return to the game after being evaluated, but the Packers say he did not actually suffer a concussion. That helps explain why he was a full participant in Wednesday's practice. Barring any surprises, he should be ready to go against the Cowboys.
SOURCE: Tom Silverstein on Twitter
Nov 9, 2022, 4:43 PM ET

I'm so tempted to roll this guy out in a heavy bye week for my team but I'm afraid he'll catch a ball and get hurt again.

Been a rough year for the young man.

That's me going with Lazard instead and missing about thirty points because of it.

I'm gonna probably lose a close one this week, too.

Boo hoo.

This really bodes well for him in dynasty, though. Love seeing it. Better than not seeing anything out of him. He's in, he's healthy, he's catching the football. An up-and-down day, but maybe we'll iron those kinks out. I don't care about drops. They happen. But always, always look for the ball from Rodgers, Christian. Don't pull up on routes. He'll throw it to you.

Christian Watson caught 4-of-7 targets for 107 yards and three touchdowns in the Packers' Week 10 win against the Cowboys.​

Watson had one of the most up and down games in recent NFL memory, with two bad drops and a misjudgment of a downfield shot from Aaron Rodgers. He also had three of the team's five touchdowns and separated himself as the Packers' No. 1 wideout with Romeo Doubs (ankle) sidelined. Watson continually separated from Dallas defenders and made touchdown grabs of seven, 38, and 59 yards in Green Bay's upset win over former head coach Mike McCarthy. Watson, who has missed time with a concussion and hamstring injuries this season, is clearly the Packers' best, most explosive receiver. It's only a matter of being consistent and earning the trust of his moody old quarterback. Available in 92 percent of fantasy leagues, Watson will be the top waiver wire target in Week 11. His downfield profile should give Watson weekly upside if he has indeed earned a full-time role in the Packers offense.
Nov 13, 2022, 7:57 PM ET

Finally! Now I might actually be able to sell.

Funny, because I don't think I'd get what I want for him. He's the one guy that I don't want to sit around watching him blow up on another team. And I dealt Pickens this year. I just have trouble dealing speed like his.

I know that most serious analysts think he's just going to bust because he has no college profile to speak of, he's old, etc.

But enough people were wowed by him Senior Bowl Week and at The Combine to value him ahead of people like Moore and Pickens.

eta* When I say "value him ahead of Pickens," I mean he's a higher draft pick. Not that I would. I have it Pickens, Watson, Moore. That of course could be totally wrong, but that's what I have.

Last edited:
Other than Aaron Jones, he is the only threat on the Packers. Is he going to have some bad drops and run some wrong routes? Yep. But he’s the only guy WR that can house it on any play and they would be foolish to not give him 6-8 targets per game moving forward.
He's just so good on those deep routes. He's a blazer, and he's so good at being sneaky and twisting DBs around to consistently get behind them.

What happens on his end of the catch he can certainly improve on, but he has the shiftiness on those deep balls and a QB who can consistently get the ball to him when he does burn guys.

Most important thing is he's got the confidence he can hack it on an NFL field now, and Rodgers probably has more confidence throwing his way now. Sky's the limit.

Drafted him in the 13th Rd and that was the last of 6 WRs I took. I don't see Cobb and Watkins as major road blocks to playing time.

-A couple days back Rodgers was very passionate about his veteran WRs and they should be out there with him. Now we are hearing praise for Watson who hasn't been around as much missing a good chunk of camp with an injury.

-I don't know that much about Watson other than he was drafted #34 overall and they traded the #1 WR in the NFL to the Raiders leaving a massive pair of shoes to fill. He has a HoF QB that still can throw the football and there's a lot of targets to go around.

I believe he was worth the risk in the double digit rounds.
Wish i woulda kept him

Very impressed, and he left a lot on the table. I think just with his athletic profile, and the state of the Packers, one has to assume he's here to stay.

Do we think the light has really come on, as has the confidence by Rodgers, or is this just another instance of chasing points by spending a lot of FAAB?

Drafted him in the 13th Rd and that was the last of 6 WRs I took. I don't see Cobb and Watkins as major road blocks to playing time.

-A couple days back Rodgers was very passionate about his veteran WRs and they should be out there with him. Now we are hearing praise for Watson who hasn't been around as much missing a good chunk of camp with an injury.

-I don't know that much about Watson other than he was drafted #34 overall and they traded the #1 WR in the NFL to the Raiders leaving a massive pair of shoes to fill. He has a HoF QB that still can throw the football and there's a lot of targets to go around.

I believe he was worth the risk in the double digit rounds.
Wish i woulda kept him
Same. Especially with Kupp going down.

Do we think the light has really come on, as has the confidence by Rodgers, or is this just another instance of chasing points by spending a lot of FAAB?
Both, but this late in the season, I'm not confident someone will have more upside coming along, so I'd spend pretty big to get him if I needed a WR.

A lot of opportunity if Aaron Rodgers starts to trust him. Doubs and Cobb aren't coming back anytime soon. Its just Lazard, Watson, and Watkins.

I'd call Watson a WR4 with WR2 upside, he just needs to stay healthy to build off this.

I picked him up a couple weeks ago, someone cut him in our keeper league, my team stinks(injuries) so I am always looking for bargains. Maybe he ends up one of them.

Finally! Now I might actually be able to sell.

Funny, because I don't think I'd get what I want for him. He's the one guy that I don't want to sit around watching him blow up on another team. And I dealt Pickens this year. I just have trouble dealing speed like his.

I know that most serious analysts think he's just going to bust because he has no college profile to speak of, he's old, etc.

But enough people were wowed by him Senior Bowl Week and at The Combine to value him ahead of people like Moore and Pickens.
I figured all offseason that he and/or Doubs would emerge. And the whole time I put an asterisk in there that it was possible they both would. The opportunity is and has been there. I'm never optimistic about guys coming back from HAS and so as much as I was enthused about Doubs, and still am, for rest of season Watson is certainly the man right now. Heck of a game and he even missed another big one that was a dime from Rodgers. I didn't draft him in dynasty for the most part, though. Took Doubs in the 4th or later x1000 though.

The two spots I have him are rebuilding squads that if by any chance I can parlay Watson into a 2023 1st plus something, I'll take it. We'll see. He is probably available on quite a few wires in redraft though. I know Meno and I just picked him up in one spot. Didn't start him of course but still.

Why isn't Watson the top waiver selection this week? Looks like a 1a, 1b, with Lazard. Even with Cobbs coming back. Even with the early drops, Rodgers came back to him. And he had 8 targets to 4 for Lazard.

Both, but this late in the season, I'm not confident someone will have more upside coming along, so I'd spend pretty big to get him if I needed a WR.

A lot of opportunity if Aaron Rodgers starts to trust him. Doubs and Cobb aren't coming back anytime soon. Its just Lazard, Watson, and Watkins.

I'd call Watson a WR4 with WR2 upside, he just needs to stay healthy to build off this.
Not sure how the IR stuff works but looks like Cobb has a shot to be back on Thursday.

(RotoWire) Per coach Matt LaFleur, Cobb (ankle) is considered day-to-day and could come off injured reserve before Thursday's game against the Titans, Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

(thehuddle) Green Bay Packers WR Randall Cobb (ankle) is expected to participate in walk-throughs with the team this week and could potentially return to action in Week 11 against the Tennessee Titans, according to head coach Matt LaFleur.

Why isn't Watson the top waiver selection this week? Looks like a 1a, 1b, with Lazard. Even with Cobbs coming back. Even with the early drops, Rodgers came back to him. And he had 8 targets to 4 for Lazard.
Matchup dependent. A poor man's Gabe Davis I guess.
Not sure they are taking that many deep shots going forward...will have more people aware and ready to take it away and its not clear he has the chops yet to work a lot in the intermediate routes.
If you have the bench...worth a flyer...but we thought Doubs would be the guy too.
Just hard to be consistent as a rookie WR and Im not yet convinced GB has this all figured out yet because of one game.

Not sure they are taking that many deep shots going forward...will have more people aware and ready to take it away and its not clear he has the chops yet to work a lot in the intermediate routes.
If you have the bench...worth a flyer...but we thought Doubs would be the guy too.
Just hard to be consistent as a rookie WR and Im not yet convinced GB has this all figured out yet because of one game.
Probably true. But he did catch the short crosser for the TD to tie the game.

Agreed on all points. Good analysis, Sho! :thumbup:

He's the type of WR right now that will have this type of week and next week he'll lay a goose egg. Also, we can't overlook the fact that this dude has been hurt a ton this year. Every time he gets a pass thrown his way I hold my breath, hoping he won't get hurt or shaken up.

Agreed on all points. Good analysis, Sho! :thumbup:

He's the type of WR right now that will have this type of week and next week he'll lay a goose egg. Also, we can't overlook the fact that this dude has been hurt a ton this year. Every time he gets a pass thrown his way I hold my breath, hoping he won't get hurt or shaken up.
Eh, still think it's a bit early to say that. This is the first time we've seen a game like this from him. We have no idea how he'll follow that up.

I'd certainly like to see them give him some short/intermediate work. Hopefully they'll start seeing what he can do with those kinds of things this week. Anything to keep the D from keying in on the deep routes.

Users who are viewing this thread