What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Christian Watson, GB (1 Viewer)

14 targets the last two games

Will be interested to see the snap counts - don't think it will be the 85% he saw in WK 11. May be just a blocking on running plays thing.

In terms of market share, he came into the game being targeted on 24.4% of all routes run, and I suspect that held true tonight. That leads all Packers (Cobb & Doubs are both a shade over 20%, Lazard 22.4%.)

Still has some rough edges to his game, and rookie WRs are consistent, but I think he'll be involved ROS. Profiles as a WR1 / X type player, has more alpha in him than anyone else on the team rn.

got 21 points after projecting to get 11

ill take that all day as my flex

thanks rookie 👍

heck yeah brother man

I'm in a 1 v 2 showdown for the top seed, nice going into the weekend with a little boost

think we were a 50/50 or 51/49 coin flip, sitting at 58% win probability rn

Raise your hands if you started him wire to fire tonight.

:headbang:

I've had Hollywood and Mike Williams in my two IR slots for 5 and 4 weeks each, respectively

both practicing this week but neither a sure bet to see the field this weekend, so I put it all on red and spent my remaining FAAB on him

questionable how much I will use him down the stretch but this week was an especially important one week rental - playing the other 8-2 team in my league for the top seed

sure is nice coming out of TNF 10 points over your projetion

He's basically a 6'5 Will Fuller with more upside, but he also played just 3 full games so the Jury is still out.

the jury has some legitimate deliberations
  • can't find Packers snap counts just yet but my sense is his snap count was down from Sunday when it was 85%
  • he's not....the most enthusiastic run blocker, and this team does want to run a lot rn
  • duck hands make it harder to secure the ball
  • QB play - Week 10 was the first time ARod has been a QB1 for FF. Week 11 box score won't look horrendous but his 4th quarter throws were one WTF after another.
on the plus side - my goodness this kid is an incredible athlete. his route running is way better than I imagined. he is the one guy in the wide receiver room who looks the part - alpha potential is undeniable. need to see him stack together some more productive games.

in game thread there was some.....interesting chatter. he was a bit of an afterthought, only had 1 target with 18 minutes left in the game. eventually they started going back to him.

UPDATE

Snap Counts
  • Lazard 56 (92%) 11 targets
  • Watson 49 (80%) 6 targets
  • Cobb 34 (56%) 6 targets
  • Lizard King 22 (36%) 2 targets
  • Toure 4 (7%)

I feel like the "TD or bust" guys are missing some key things:

- He saw Goal Line work
- He saw deep targets
- He was used in the running game

That's exceptional utility for a rookie who's one game returned from a half-season long injury. Make no bones about it... Green Bay wants to get this kid the ball, and they're going to do it in a lot of different ways. He's got WR2 floor with WR1 upside ROS, IMO.

- He saw Goal Line work
- He saw deep targets

That's exceptional utility for a rookie who's one game returned from a half-season long injury. Make no bones about it... Green Bay wants to get this kid the ball, and they're going to do it in a lot of different ways. He's got WR2 floor with WR1 upside ROS, IMO.

I think the TD or bust guys are saying there's not enough volume to justify playing him if he doesn't score a TD - as was the case yesterday.

But they are gong to try to throw him like 2 bombs a game to get him a chance to score a long one.

Does it make sense to expect Watson's targets to increase if/as Rodgers' thumb heals? His Y/C is his career-worst right now. Does it make sense to expect Rodgers' thumb to get better this season?

I think the TD or bust guys are saying there's not enough volume to justify playing him if he doesn't score a TD - as was the case yesterday.
Didn't they say the same about Cris Carter? :laugh:

Only Buddy Ryan - but it oddly wasn't true - if you don't know the story, Buddy said that to justify the trade to MN - but he saw Cris going down a bad path personally and wanted to get him away from that element. Carter says Buddy may have saved his life.

Cris Carter had 45-605-11 in his third and last year in philly.

- He saw Goal Line work
- He saw deep targets

But they are gong to try to throw him like 2 bombs a game to get him a chance to score a long one.

I gotcha.
I'm merely saying that he's just getting established and the different TYPES of utilization (Red Zone, Deep Balls, Rushing) is a good sign that his role is going to increase and will likely have value even if TDs don't come. My .02.

Does it make sense to expect Watson's targets to increase if/as Rodgers' thumb heals? His Y/C is his career-worst right now. Does it make sense to expect Rodgers' thumb to get better this season?

Rodgers has said he doesn't expect his thumb to be near 100% until after their week 14 Bye.

• Thanks
Reactions: J R
Watson 4/48/2 TDs. I'm going to try and trade him quickly, maybe some league mates didn't watch the game tonight and just see
Touchdown
Touchdown
Touchdown
Touchdown
Touchdown

5TDs in 2 weeks, should be a trade market

- He saw Goal Line work
- He saw deep targets

WR1 upside IYHO?
Now I just have to find this owner in all my redrafts.
I didn't know he had that much cache already.
That's AJBrown or Tee Higgins territory

WR1 upside IYHO?

W9: Watson 32.70 FPts (WR3)
W10: Watson 21.10 FPts (Good enough for WR9 last week)

Fantasy Weeks with 20+ FPts
AJ Brown: 2
Tee Higgins: 1
C Watson: 2

To be clear, I said he's WR2 w WR1 Upside... he's had back to back WR1 weeks. Please explain how he lacks WR1 upside?

His schedule gets a little tougher 2 of the next 3 weeks but his playoff schedule is very solid.

I stand by the statement.

Playoff schedule is nice. Really nice. Like this mofo could win your league as a WR3 or Flex nice. Pipe dream for now, but definitely within the range of outcomes here IMO.

WR1 upside IYHO?

To be clear, I said he's WR2 w WR1 Upside... he's had back to back WR1 weeks. Please explain how he lacks WR1 upside?

His schedule gets a little tougher 2 of the next 3 weeks but his playoff schedule is very solid.

As I mentioned I have him across multiple redrafts, drafted him Rd 13 in several, had to release and catch like many
Say it again, music to my ears
But at the same time
5TDs, 2 weeks, on a bad team that at some point might shut down the starting QB or he could just check out early and get started on his off season hallucinogen program.
I stand by my statement as well, unsustainable and they only targeted Watson 1 time in the entire 1st Half
It wasn't until they got desperate that they turned to Watson and his production got an uptick.
Red Zone is his specialty? That's great but it's not the Packers specialty in 2022.
Can we take the rose colored glasses off for a minute?
He has the most raw talent of any of their WRs so I agree there.
Lazard and Cobb combined for 11/130, and Rodgers continues to talk them up like they are his best options.
Love your post, bring it!

Last edited:
Watkins and Cobb combined for 11/130, and Rodgers continues to talk them up like they are his best options.
They did?

He does?

it’s MoP and math

Watkins and Cobb combined for 11/130, and Rodgers continues to talk them up like they are his best options.
They did?

He does?

it’s MoP and math
What he means to say is Watkins and Cobb went full Pizza, and Rodgers brought the stuffed crust.
I meant Cobb and Lazard and they do actually add up to the 11/130, they were the two top WRs in terms of yards and @BobbyLayne you pointed out in the game thread well into the 3rd Q, maybe close to the 4th, 1 target for Watson. had that target been a simple 16 yd catch instead of a TD, the entire conversation changes and people are out with pitch forks in the 4th Q

They did?

He does?

it’s MoP and math

They did?

He does?

it’s MoP and math
What he means to say is Watkins and Cobb went full Pizza, and Rodgers brought the stuffed crust.
I meant Cobb and Lazard and they do actually add up to the 11/130, they were the two top WRs in terms of yards and @BobbyLayne you pointed out in the game thread well into the 3rd Q, maybe close to the 4th, 1 target for Watson. had that target been a simple 16 yd catch instead of a TD, the entire conversation changes and people are out with pitch forks in the 4th Q

How would you rank the Packers WRs rest of season?

WR1 upside IYHO?

As I mentioned I have him across multiple redrafts, drafted him Rd 13 in several, had to release and catch like many
But at the same time
5TDs, 2 weeks, on a bad team that at some point might shut down the starting QB or he could just check out early and get started on his off season hallucinogen program.
I stand by my statement as well, unsustainable and they only targeted Watson 1 time in the entire 1st Half
It wasn't until they got desperate that they turned to Watson and his production got an uptick.
Red Zone is his specialty? That's great but it's not the Packers specialty in 2022.
Lazard and Cobb combined for 11/130, and Rodgers continues to talk them up like they are his best options.
Where in the world is Errant talking up Sammy freakin Watkins?

They did?

He does?

it’s MoP and math

They did?

He does?

it’s MoP and math

I would love to put Watson 1st but Rodgers is a creature of habit and he won't stop targeting Lazard and Cobb any time he's not on the IR.
I did see Watson taking 2 DBs with him on deep routes so it stands to reason why Rodgers might want to target underneath however Aaron Jones and Robert Tonyan did very little, Jones had 6 catches and only 20 yds.

WR1 upside IYHO?

But at the same time
Where in the world is Errant talking up Sammy freakin Watkins?
I meant Lazard and that's now in your quote but since you ask

And he's been hot on Watkins, Cobb and Lazard all season. he even rolled his eyes in the middle of the 3 TD performance. I forget which miss it was but one of those targets was somewhere near the end zone or down the field and Watson might have run the route a little short and Rodgers looked disgusted.
He doesn't ever pop those looks at any of the other WRs when they make a mistake.

As I said above the way I see it is the Packers entire WR corps is having an open audition to fill the Davante Adams hole in the offense.

Lazard has been doing his best but I think we have seen max Lazard at this point, he's fine, good even, but he's not the guy.

Of the guys on the roster, it seems like Watson is the only one who has the potential to become that guy.

Kid earns more trust every week he produces. Maybe that leads to more opportunities.

They use him in deep routes and they use him inside the 20, and inside the 10.

Not sure he'll generate much in a redraft trade but if you believe in him maybe you roll the dice and trade someone with more name recognition.

They did?

He does?

it’s MoP and math

They did?

He does?

it’s MoP and math

I would love to put Watson 1st but Rodgers is a creature of habit and he won't stop targeting Lazard and Cobb any time he's not on the IR.
I did see Watson taking 2 DBs with him on deep routes so it stands to reason why Rodgers might want to target underneath however Aaron Jones and Robert Tonyan did very little, Jones had 6 catches and only 20 yds.

Rest of season, full PPR, Weeks 12-17, do you see Randall Cobb being inside the Top 50 WRs?

Watson had two bad drops in the DAL game but they kept going back to him. Dropped one last night & they went right back to him the next play for his second TD. What is more significant? One target in the first 42 minutes or that they went back to him consistently down the stretch.

Rodgers is not throwing very accurately most weeks. By his standards been a terrible year, one QB1 week. He threw some terrific balls in the 2nd half of the Cowboys game, looked dreadful in the 4th quarter last night.

That’s the limiting factor for me. Not Lazard, who I think is a fine FF WR3 but without much upside. He has had his own issues with drops - couple bad ones last night. Watson is probably going to outperform Lazard ROS but as a rookie still refining his craft that will no doubt doubt a clunker or two.

Really nice playoff schedule.

IDK how much I’ll use Watson, my FF team has a couple guys getting healthy. Needed him this week & he was worth the big ask to get him off the wire. Don’t need him down the stretch but would be nice to have one more flex option.

Not sure he'll generate much in a redraft trade

This

Doesn’t matter how big the splash is, 1-2 good weeks for a WW pickup is generally not enough to command a premium in trades. At least not in my league (trade deadline is 6 hours away.)

Every pass thrown to Watkins was a waste of a play and I think GB just wants to make sure Watson can be a full time player before we don't see Watkins anymore. The clearly want Watson to be involved, I think health is the only thing that will limit him as wr2/wr3/flex rest of season. That is how I view Lazard as well and I like Watson's upside more. I'd rather have Watson over anyone else in this offense other than Aaron Jones.

As I said above the way I see it is the Packers entire WR corps is having an open audition to fill the Davante Adams hole in the offense.

Lazard has been doing his best but I think we have seen max Lazard at this point, he's fine, good even, but he's not the guy.

Of the guys on the roster, it seems like Watson is the only one who has the potential to become that guy.

Kid earns more trust every week he produces. Maybe that leads to more opportunities.

Not sure he'll generate much in a redraft trade but if you believe in him maybe you roll the dice and trade someone with more name recognition.
Last night Rogers threw a lateral pass to Watkins and Watsons dropped it ...Rogers made that face he makes when hes pissed and disgusted , we all know the face .
Then on the same drive i believe he threw the ball on an in route slant to Watsons and he scored , then at the end of the game on 4th down i believe he threw to Watsons for the much needed 1st down to stay alive and he caught it ....that tells me everything i need to know about Rogers mind set

Last edited:

Last night Rogers threw a lateral pass to Watkins and Watkins dropped it ...Rogers made that face he makes when hes pissed and disgusted , we all know the face .
Then on the same drive i believe he threw the ball on an in route slant to Watkins and he scored , then at the end of the game on 4th down i believe he threw to Watkins for the much needed 1st down to stay alive and he caught it ....that tells me everything i need to know about Rogers mind set
:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread