What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Courtland Sutton, DEN (2 Viewers)

Been riding Sutton all year, but benching him for DK today.  Chargers D finally healthy and everything screams statement game today to me.   :shrug:

I’ll eat my crow; benching Courtland probably going to cost me the game this week and the #1 seed heading into the playoffs in 1 league.   :kicksrock:

Courtland Sutton caught 4-of-5 targets for 74 yards and two touchdowns in the Broncos' Week 13 win over the Chargers.

Both of Sutton’s touchdowns came in the first half and on stud Chargers CB Casey Hayward. The first was an absolutely b-e-a-utiful one-handed snag in contested coverage, while the other was more thanks to Drew Lock extending the play and throwing a strike on the run. Sutton then essentially won the game by drawing a long pass interference penalty to set up the Broncos for their game-winning field goal. Anyone involved in the Broncos’ offense has a pretty low floor with Drew Lock likely to go through plenty of ups and downs, but continue to treat Sutton as a low-end WR2 with WR1 upside regardless of the matchup.

Dec 1, 2019, 7:43 PM ET

He moved up another 2 rounds in next years redraft lists. 
he looked good in week one with Flacco throwing the ball.

Sutton, Golliday, Godwin, DJ Moore.  Should not be too surprising.

I drafted this guy in all 3 of my leagues this year.

12 team ppr, 16th round

12 team ppr, 13th round

16 team ppr, 9th round

He is the 16th highest scoring WR in all of my leagues.  He has been an outstanding bye week, injury fill in, or flex option.

Couldn't be happier.  He definitely helped in securing the #1 seed in all 3 leagues and the points title in 2. 

He’s a perfect #2 WR because he has had such a nice floor throughout the season. He only has one game that was a dud and it was against one of the top 2 or 3 CBs in the NFL. Add in a few bigger games and he has been a guy that has made a big difference all season.

I’ve seen enough. He won’t be on my bench the rest of the way. If I lose it will be with him 
Totally the way I see it.

My problem is that with him, Hill, Chark, and Golladay, I have to choose 2 or 3 of them into the playoffs and any/all of them could potentially boom or bust.

I think I can trust Hill and Sutton the most, the former for the ability to turn any single catch into a TD.

Sutton just seems to be getting it done regardless of QB play or game script. But Golladay did it too last week, and Chark has Minshew returning, who made him a Top 20+ wr this year.

Honestly confounded. Sutton just seems the most consistent, regardless of gamescript or QB.

Yeah let’s say that after one game that makes sense.
He was way better than most people expected. People in here were benching Sutton because LAC had two top DBs back AND his QB was expected to be a disaster. Lock did well. It's one game, but it was a good sign to start. I dont know why that is hard to admit... no one will think less of you for it

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll eat my crow; benching Courtland probably going to cost me the game this week and the #1 seed heading into the playoffs in 1 league.   :kicksrock:

Same with me.  I likely lost the bye (unless Carson gets 21) and now have to battle it out in round 1
Sutton got it done, but I don't think any crow eating is necessary.  A rookie qb making his first start against a (now healthy) defense while the Denver O-line has not been without issues protecting the qb.  4 of 5 for 74 with one of the catching needing to be high-light worthy... two tds (one of which could easily have been an incomplete).  Kudos to Sutton, but this could easily have been a 3 of 5 for 48 and 1 td.  To me, THAT (3-48-1)was a reasonable outcome to expect for Sutton with (imo) the td being a 50/50 possibility (I really expected SD to harass Lock all day long), I benched Sutton for a "surer" option. It didn't work out for me, but I think the logic in benching him in Lock's first start is sound. But, as we know, the game still must be played and Sutton delivered...but not crow.

Courtland Sutton caught 5-of-7 targets for 34 yards in Denver's Week 14 win over the Texans.

The Broncos rushed out to a 31-3 first-half lead due in part to Noah Fant (4/114/1) and Jeff Heuerman embarrassing Houston's secondary for wide open catches over the middle of the field. Sutton on the other hand was locked down by Bradley Roby for most of the game and ultimately wasn't looked to often. The second-year standout was double-covered on his lone end zone target, resulting in Drew Lock's only turnover on the day. The rookie signal-caller has still showed enough competence to keep Sutton afloat as a low-end WR2 in Week 15 against the Chiefs.

Courtland sutton caught 4-of-10 targets for 79 yards in the Broncos' Week 15 loss to the Chiefs.

Sutton’s best play of the day went for 33 yards, when the talented second-year WR broke away from multiple would-be tacklers on his way to picking up the chunk gain. The verdict remains out on rookie QB Drew Lock, but the good news is that he’s proven capable of enabling Sutton to some solid fantasy performances. Get your popcorn ready for Sutton’s Week 16 matchup against Darius Slay and the Lions. Treat the Broncos’ undisputed No. 1 pass-game target as a low-end WR2 in that spot.

Courtland Sutton posted five catches for 41 yards on 10 targets Sunday in the Broncos’ Week 16 win over Detroit.

Sutton was largely held in check by All-Pro Darius Slay, who stuck to him like glue all afternoon. He drew an end-zone target in the third quarter, but Tavon Wilson was there to break it up. It wasn't one of Sutton's better weeks, though luckily the Broncos got by with strong performances from both DaeSean Hamilton (6-65-1 on six targets) and Phillip Lindsay (109 rushing yards). Already over 1,000 yards receiving for the year, Sutton will close out what has been a highly successful sophomore season when the Broncos host Oakland in next week's finale. He went for a season-high 120 yards when these teams met in Week 1.

SF at #9 is possible and it would be a fantastic spot for him to land. He's got #1 WR in FF upside in SF. 
They should have taken him there. 

Yeah I disagree with your assessment of him. I've read this thread though and don't need to go through it with you again. I hope everybody values him like you do so I can get him on all my teams.
Nailed it. 

Lol you haven't heard of him being the 1st WR taken? Where have you been since the combine?

***Edit***

And i have no idea what you're talking about. I didn't say your opinion had any bearing on where Sutton would be drafted. I just said i hope everybody values him like you do so i can pick him up late in the first round of rookie drafts. 

You know "late" in the first round of rookie drafts where I'm always drafting. 
He should have been the first WR taken. 

Lolol yeah no way a big physical receiver like Sutton could ever learn how to beat press coverage. 
He destroys press. 

Ideally I don't want Sutton falling out of the 2nd round but I'd like to see 4-5 more offensive skill position players taken in front of him and have him drafted into a good situation. Dallas would be ideal. GB would be good. 

He's still my #2 prospect in rookie drafts and #1 WR prospect. 

Terrible landing spot. Behind two established vets and a #### QB. Won't do anything for 2-3 years. Oh well. 
Should have trusted my assessment. 

Lol I traded out of the first round after I saw his landing spot. If he had gone to Dallas in the 1st round I would have traded Brandin Cooks straight up for the 1.02 and happily took him. No games here. It's a bad spot for him. 
Again should have trusted my read here. 

He should be drafted in front of all the RB but Saquon Barkley. He landed bad but he should be Denver's #1 WR in 2019 or 2020........
I started to figure it out. 

Yeah I'm def not with the majority on this one. Which RB do you love ahead of Sutton?

Sutton is 6'3 220 pounds and he ran a 6.57 second 3 cone. It seems to good to be true. All his other numbers are good/great. He's big/fast/strong and his tape looks good. Now he's practicing, as a rookie, against maybe the best secondary in football, and doing well. 

He projects as a #1 WR and I think he will be just that in the next couple of years. If I couldn't trade the pick I'd take him at 1.02. Call me crazy I guess. 
This aged well. 

Wrong thread. This belongs in the bragging column.

If everyone thought they needed to take up a quarter of a page to toot their own horn every time they were right ... most would be way sick of it and long gone from the forums.  Celebrating that hard just emphasizes how rare you being right must be.

Interestingly, I had Kirk ahead of Sutton at my draft and traded down from I think 1.08 to 1.11 to target Kirk. DJ Moore went at 8, Kerryon at 9, and Kirk at 10. I took Sutton a little reluctantly as BPA, even though I did like him. I felt he needed some time to develop, but my team had time. 

He's going to the fun to watch the next 5 years as he settles into his prime. Everything is coming together for him at the perfect time
And I think him and Jeudy can co-exits perfectly since they’re fairly different WRs. If Lock takes a leap this year that offense will be fun to watch.

And I think him and Jeudy can co-exits perfectly since they’re fairly different WRs. If Lock takes a leap this year that offense will be fun to watch.
I dont necessarily disagree with the first statement.  However, I do agreed with the latter.   It'll be difficult for Lock to develop his timing and chemistry with his new receivers especially with the current quarantine in place.  I wouldn't be surprised with Lock's preference to target Sutton and Fant frequently. 

Wrong thread. This belongs in the bragging column.

If everyone thought they needed to take up a quarter of a page to toot their own horn every time they were right ... most would be way sick of it and long gone from the forums.  Celebrating that hard just emphasizes how rare you being right must be.
He has a history of patting himself on the back if he's right.  check out the Aaron Donald thread.  he didn't even start that one but has bumped it several times saying he hit the bullseye.

He has a history of patting himself on the back if he's right.  check out the Aaron Donald thread.  he didn't even start that one but has bumped it several times saying he hit the bullseye.
Haters gonna hate. Come on. We can't have fun with this. What I wrote in the Aaron Donald thread speaks for itself. You should pick a different player. I have plenty of misses. 

I think you’re looking at his stats upside down 
Possibly.  Not doubting the talent.

Situation matters.  Is Lock stud WR material?  

eat - especially now with a 1st round WR draft pick?

Haters gonna hate. Come on. We can't have fun with this. What I wrote in the Aaron Donald thread speaks for itself. You should pick a different player. I have plenty of misses. 
The point of the post went over your head obviously.

Sutton is a special talent who will continue to succeed, but cannot think there will be anything but a regression this year.

Last year, Broncos were thin at WR after Sanders was traded. The only other guys with meaningful reception targets on this team not named Noah Fant were DaeSean Hamilton and Tim Patrick, a fourth rounder and a UDFA who didn't exactly light the world on fire (neither cracked 30 receptions or 300 yards).

They needed a WR badly, and got a first-round talent (arguably the best in the draft), and they are going to use him right a way, likely a lot.

This may open up things for others like Sutton, Fant, and even backfield receiving numbers.

But it will absolutely impact the target distribution in the Broncos passing game.

It won't be to a degree that will impact Sutton's fantasy usefulness, but I don't think he'll put up the same gaudy numbers consistently like he did last year.

I disagree here... look at ths box scores for the last 5 games (with lock) and you can see where Jeudys targets will come from. and it isnt Sutton...

Over those 5 weeks Patrick and Hamilton averaged 13.4 fantasy points combined. 

Small sample size but it's the best we have for 2020 since that's when Lock took over. 
Agreed... Sutton had to put up with double or bracket coverage once their opponents' DC realized Sutton was Broncos' only / lone receiving threat.  Lock had to pass to the other receivers and they couldn't bail him out consistently.  A particular info seems to get lost is that Sutton was successful on drawing defensive pass-interference (though, it couldn't help due to his sheer size and basketball mentality when it comes to jump-ball).   With addition of Jeudy and Hamler, Sutton will become alpha receiver. 

So 12 team PPR startup dynasty league, I took Sutton in the early 4th...and was just offered 5.1 and 6.7 pick for him. Would you guys move this potential alpha receiver for that in a startup draft? ALL rookie WRs are still available for that 5.1 pick, along with Diggs, Samuel, McLaurin, etc....I'm truly torn because I really like Sutton this year...

I would hold on Sutton. 

I traded him as part of a package for Daniel Jones, as its superflex & behind Mahomes I had Brady & Carr, which was....less than ideal. And I was deep at WR. 

but it was with some regrets that I did so. I believe he’s a stud, and while I get the question marks surrounding Lock, Sutton is the kind of WR who can make a not great QB look great. 

I see Sutton as a top 15 WR for the foreseeable future with top 10 upside, so I would not make that deal. 

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread