What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Courtland Sutton, DEN (1 Viewer)

He’s currently #17 rest of year…ahead of Evan’s, Kirk, Ayuk, Metcalf, Pittman, Toney, Olave, etc.
That’s crazy to think about
Yeah.... I just dont see it above Olave, evans,metcalf and kirk. Ayuk is having a good year but certainly can fads. Pittmans qb seems like they have fell in love with another wr so I could see that. Toney is already injured (making the assumption that this time its a real injury and not a ploy to get payed not to play. To be in this company Russ will have to realize sutton is their best wr n sutton will have to start finding the end zone.

Courtland Sutton (illness) is questionable for Week 13 against the Ravens.​

Sutton was not on the injury report before Friday and is now listed as questionable, causing some legitimate concern for his Week 13 availabilty. Players typically play through illnesses, but coming down with something this late in the week likely means Sutton's status is truly up in the air. Jerry Jeudy is also listed as questionable. Playing on the No. 32 offense by points per game, Sutton will be a low-ceiling WR3 if he suits up.
Dec 2, 2022, 3:34 PM ET

Courtland Sutton (illness) is active for Week 13 against the Ravens.​

Jerry Jeudy is also active, possibly ending Sutton's reign as the unquestioned WR1 in Denver. The additional completion for targets hurts Sutton's already limited upside case. Despite facing a poor Baltimore pass defense, Sutton will only rank as a WR3 for Week 13.
Dec 4, 2022, 12:00 PM ET

Broncos head coach Nathaniel Hackett said Courtland Sutton is "day to day" with a hamstring injury.​

Sutton exited Sunday's game against the Ravens in the second half and didn't return to the field. He failed to catch his lone target on the day but had gone for 60 or more yards in each of his previous three games before last week. Despite being labeled as "day to day", Sutton's Week 14 status will be one to watch. Given the lingering nature of soft-tissue injuries, it wouldn't be surprising if Sutton missed at least one game. He and the Broncos play host to the Chiefs next week as they hope to avoid riding to a 3-10 start.
Dec 5, 2022, 5:27 PM ET

Courtland Sutton (hamstring) remained sidelined for Thursday's practice.​

All signs continue to point toward Sutton sitting against the Chiefs. It should make for a targets bonanza for Jerry Jeudy and Greg Dulcich while elevating Kendall Hinton into the WR5 mix. Seemingly nowhere close to a return to practice, Jeudy should be considered highly questionable for Week 15.
Dec 8, 2022, 5:13 PM ET

Courtland Sutton (hamstring) remained sidelined for Thursday's practice.​

All signs continue to point toward Sutton sitting against the Chiefs. It should make for a targets bonanza for Jerry Jeudy and Greg Dulcich while elevating Kendall Hinton into the WR5 mix. Seemingly nowhere close to a return to practice, Jeudy should be considered highly questionable for Week 15.
Dec 8, 2022, 5:13 PM ET
This is awkwardly worded.

Broncos head coach Nathaniel Hackett said Courtland Sutton (hamstring) is "potentially available" for Week 16 against the Rams.​

Sutton was sidelined in Week 15 with a hamstring injury and has now missed each of the last two games after going down in Week 13. What was once called a "day to day" injury has now resulted in a two-game absence, and could stretch to three games if Sutton is unable to suit up vs. the Rams. Jerry Jeudy has enjoyed solid success in Sutton's absence, going for 65+ yards in each of the last three weeks, and would be on the high-end WR2 radar in Week 16 if Sutton can't go.
RELATED:
Dec 19, 2022, 5:56 PM ET

Broncos WR Courtland Sutton (hamstring) was removed from the injury report and will play in Week 17 vs Kansas City.​

Sutton returned from a two game absence in Week 16, catching 5-of-7 targets for 64 yards while playing 79 percent of snaps. With Jerry Jeudy (ankle) and Kendall Hinton (hamstring) both questionable, Sutton is in line for another high target share this week.
Dec 31, 2022, 10:05 AM ET

Broncos WR Courtland Sutton (hamstring) was removed from the injury report and will play in Week 17 vs Kansas City.​

Sutton returned from a two game absence in Week 16, catching 5-of-7 targets for 64 yards while playing 79 percent of snaps. With Jerry Jeudy (ankle) and Kendall Hinton (hamstring) both questionable, Sutton is in line for another high target share this week.
Because of game script and Jag starters likely to sit at some point in the game, I really want to start Sutton over Zay but not sure I can pull the trigger.

Because of game script and Jag starters likely to sit at some point in the game, I really want to start Sutton over Zay but not sure I can pull the trigger.
he will definitely get targets with Dilcich out, but it’s clear Jeudy is their top WR and Wilson’s favorite target. Sutton has had major issues getting separation this year

Thoughts on Sutton moving forward? Does Payton help him blow up?
The big todo has always been Sutton vs Jeudy. I've been on the side of Jeudy from the beginning, but Sutton has his cult following. Sutton will be 28 in October, so at what point can we say if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, then by God it's a duck?

Was all in on Sutton going into the year, with Russ being a total disaster it's hard to evaluate him to some extent. Seems unlikely he's going to be the stud that some had hoped. That said I'll still draft him if the price is right but not gonna over draft.

Sources told NBC Sports Edge's Matthew Berry the Broncos are "quietly shopping" WR Courtland Sutton.​

Berry went on to say, "if they get a decent offer, they would move him." Sutton is currently under team control through the 2024 season at a non-prohibitive $15.5 million annual average, meaning this might be a case of failing to meet team expectations in chemistry with quarterback Russell Wilson. Sutton held the lowest separation at target value of any primary pass-catcher that Wilson has played with over the previous five seasons in 2022.
Mar 6, 2023, 7:06 PM ET

Reasonably cheap and talented. Not working out in Denver. I drafted him as a rookie and will probably hold him until the bitter end unless there's a real opportunity to cash out. It's not working out so I wouldn't mind a change of scenery just to see if it sparks something that's more fantasy relevant than what we've seen. As of last year, I'm off the Courtland Sutton is a victim of his circumstances narrative. The offenses that he's on haven't worked and he shares in some of the blame at this point.

None of this is to say that I think he sucks. I just think he would have been a bigger part of the solution if he was going to reach anything close to what I was hoping for.

Why would this guy be getting shopped? Sutton posted something on Twitter about going where he's appreciated. Something going on...
Jeudy is going into year 4 and seemed to have a better connection with Wilson. If they are shopping Sutton, my gut would say they plan on extending Jeudy.

Sutton has never really been the same since his ACL tear. He's a capable #2 WR, but he's also not really a Sean Payton type WR.

ESPN's Dan Graziano confirms the Broncos are looking to trade a receiver and have "had talks."​

Graziano mentions each of Courtland Sutton, Jerry Jeudy and KJ Hamler, but 27-year-old Sutton and his $14 million salary seem like the most likely culprit. A sideline hand-fighter who has not been the same since tearing his ACL, Sutton isn't a great fit for Sean Payton's short-area focused, timing-based system. Of course, Sutton's salary and injury history will greatly limit the potential trade compensation.
SOURCE: Dan Graziano on Twitter
Mar 13, 2023, 12:50 PM ET

Guess I'm a sucker for punishment but I kinda like him at his ADP, he did ok last year at times in what was a complete dumpster fire. If things get turned around at all he will benefit.

Brilliant analysis.

Who were his coaches again (AWFUL)? Do injuries matter? How about his QBs?

Decent dramatic music, though, dork.
He will be 28 early into the season, so how much longer can Sutton owners wait?
Two different topics. Dynasty, which doesn't concern me, or now. I think he can do it now.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then darn it, it’s a duck.

Two different topics. Dynasty, which doesn't concern me, or now. I think he can do it now.

No, it's about now.

You want a less than WR3 for the year? Go ahead.

I just said it's about now, did I not? We'll know soon enough. It's not a big deal.

And don't tell me "you do have a mouth on you!" I saw your edit. That is oh-so rich, coming from you, calling anyone out here with a "mouth on them".

And also coming from someone that routinely reports people like this is grade school. Hypocrisy. Up all night again? Ornery on the come-down?

In Sutton's defense, he had a decent year in '19 with 72, 1112 & 6 which put him at about 19 for WRs that year, but that appears to be the outlier in his career so I'm in no hurry to acquire. He'd be a guy I'd be trying to add to a bigger deal to help push it through maybe.

I just said it's about now, did I not? We'll know soon enough. It's not a big deal.

And don't tell me "you do have a mouth on you!" I saw your edit. That is oh-so rich, coming from you, calling anyone out here with a "mouth on them".

And also coming from someone that routinely reports people like this is grade school. Hypocrisy. Up all night again? Ornery on the come-down?

Em, when you stop ruining the horse thread and taking various aliases, I'll shut up.

You obviously don't know much about redraft if you're commenting that the analysis the guy gave is irrelevant. It was damn relevant. For immediate use.

Brilliant analysis.

If you haven't broken out in five years, you have about zero percent chance of breaking out after.

It's like less than or around 1% of guys who haven't cracked WR3 in PPG do so after not having done so in five.
Now THIS would be much closer to great analysis (if the numbers were verified) — but regardless, this is probably in the ballpark of what the video hinted at. Except…..he didn’t say all of that. He gave a half hearted, lazy defense of his perspective.

So my issue wasn’t with the underlying message. It was the laziness and incompleteness of the video. (And no, I’m not a Courtland Sutton fan, but he might be WR6 on one of my teams)

So my issue wasn’t with the underlying message. It was the laziness and incompleteness of the video. (And no, I’m not a Courtland Sutton fan, but he might be WR6 on one of my teams)

Very fair, but the dude is on TikTok. We can't forget the importance of brevity within the format.

But your point is certainly taken. He should have said that. Some rando on a message board shouldn't have to clean up his perfect poop and explain why the toilet paper is clean.

This is by age, not by year. Sutton is twenty-eight.

See the table entitled "Wide Receiver Breakouts By Age" about half of the way down the page.

Look at the age of twenty-eight. Breakout receiver is defined as top 24. I cannot immediately find numbers for Top 36, but this is pretty stark.

You can also check Peter Howard's Patreon Stats for stuff like this. It's a buck a month. He had free stats, but I think they're gone for the most part now.

This is by age, not by year. Sutton is twenty-eight.

See the table entitled "Wide Receiver Breakouts By Age" about half of the way down the page.

Look at the age of twenty-eight. Breakout receiver is defined as top 24. I cannot immediately find numbers for Top 36, but this is pretty stark.

You can also check Peter Howard's Patreon Stats for stuff like this. It's a buck a month. He had free stats, but I think they're gone for the most part now.

Not that I am all that high on Sutton anymore, but I do not get this breakout argument by age. He already has had a top 24 season before tearing his ACL.

Can players have 2 breakout seasons?

Very fair, but the dude is on TikTok. We can't forget the importance of brevity within the format.

But your point is certainly taken. He should have said that. Some rando on a message board shouldn't have to clean up his perfect poop and explain why the toilet paper is clean.
The message board rando definitely isn’t required to clean up his poop. But the rando chose to post the link - at that point he’s decided it reflects his views.

TikTok sucks. I don’t hate it — strong word — but it’s truly awful.

Not that I am all that high on Sutton anymore, but I do not get this breakout argument by age. He already has had a top 24 season before tearing his ACL.

Okay, that guy was misleading a bit. I think he's saying PPG Top Forty Overall. Sutton indeed finished WR2 in PPG one year. Seventeenth.

I retract my priors about Sutton, then. If he has indeed had a top twenty-four finish, then you're hoping for a re-establishment of dominance. Sort of like what Chark GMs -- myself included -- are hoping for with him.

I doubt it, but it's not as dire as the guy made it seem.

The message board rando definitely isn’t required to clean up his poop. But the rando chose to post the link - at that point he’s decided it reflects his views.

I meant me being the rando. The video wasn't very explanatory. And I don't think he had his facts correct. That guy, I've noticed, isn't very good over at DLF. I've noticed it before and wonder why I was defending him. Probably more to come to JohnnyU's aid and I thought that if the facts were right that the guy had a legit point.

He doesn't.

Okay, that guy was misleading a bit. I think he's saying PPG Top Forty Overall. Sutton indeed finished WR2 in PPG one year. Seventeenth.

I retract my priors about Sutton, then. If he has indeed had a top twenty-four finish, then you're hoping for a re-establishment of dominance. Sort of like what Chark GMs -- myself included -- are hoping for with him.

I doubt it, but it's not as dire as the guy made it seem.

I am hoping for (but not expecting) an allen robinson like career trajectory. Arob broke out in his second season, tore his acl and then took 4 seasons before he was fantasy relevant again. This is Sutton's 4th season after an ACL tear.

Arob was probably more talented though.

I meant me being the rando. The video wasn't very explanatory. And I don't think he had his facts correct. That guy, I've noticed, isn't very good over at DLF. I've noticed it before and wonder why I was defending him. Probably more to come to JohnnyU's aid and I thought that if the facts were right that the guy had a legit point.

He doesn't.
Got it. Sorry for the confusion.
I don’t think his general concept is far off still. If Sutton can’t produce in Payton’s offense with a solid QB, then he’s basically done.

Users who are viewing this thread