What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeVante Parker, Eagles. (2 Viewers)

Remarkable prediction that after another 5 NFL drafts, not one rook from any of them cracks the top 20...
Treadwell is at 13. But point taken
Michael Thomas is 10.

I'm sure there will be more than those two from the upcoming classes, but it will be challenging IMO. The WR talent is remarkably strong right now. The 2014 class will be 27 years old in 2020. That's pretty much their absolute prime.

Remarkable prediction that after another 5 NFL drafts, not one rook from any of them cracks the top 20...
Treadwell is at 13. But point taken
Michael Thomas is 10. I'm sure there will be more than those two from the upcoming classes, but it will be challenging IMO. The WR talent is remarkably strong right now. The 2014 class will be 27 years old in 2020. That's pretty much their absolute prime.
Even so...reverse this. At least half the guys on this top 20 list had not yet been drafted five years AGO. Would any list from 2010 include Beckham, Cooper, Watkins, Evans on a list of Top 20 for 2015?

The stars of the 2020 draft class haven't even declared for college yet.

I think this was still a useful exercise though. It's the fantasy version of those "seniors only" draft rankings. Shows them in projected order, but leaves out all the early declaring underclassmen, many of whom take high rankings in the real draft.

I thought the forward look to the top 20 WRs was interesting and wouldn't get nit picked. Obviously, no one who is sane makes a list noting rookies who haven't played a down of college ball into future lists but some unknown rookies will enter the league. The takeaway for DeVante is he gets mentioned as a top ranked WR on the list.

And he just gave a video interview looking back on his rookie season that shows some highlight plays.

LINK:

------

http://www.miamidolphins.com/multimedia/videos/DeVante-Parker-Joins-The-Finsiders/44fbfa28-206e-47a2-be98-698a14dff44c

Posted:

1 hour ago DeVante Parker Joins The FinsidersDolphins WR DeVante Parker joins Greg Likens to give his thoughts on his rookie season in the NFL. Listen as Parker shares his excitement about the future and continuing to develop with other young wide receivers around him.

I think Millers article is interesting. He used certain criteria to grade NFL players and he included players from the 2015 draft class within the list. What would be more interesting would be a top 40 or top 100 using the same method to see where other rookie WR coming out this year might be with the veteran players as well. 20 WR 5 years from now is a pretty select group. It somewhat depends on what the ranking is for as well. Which players will have the best seasons in 2020? Or which WR will be considered the best at their positions going into that season?

He is dealing with incomplete information. Even though Miller likely knows some of the better WR prospects that will come out in 2017 or 2018, with incomplete college information to work with makes it hard to rank players like this with the group. I think ranking the rookies from 2015 with the veterans is hard enough. That is a bold prediction likely to be wrong in a lot of ways as soon as early 2017 for example, several of the veterans on this list may fall out, other overlooked players emerge. If Miller did a list like this every season (maybe he does?) I would expect there to be little carry over from each years list aside from a few WR such as Jones.

The 2014 draft for WR still remains one of the better groups I have ever seen. So it will not surprise me if WR from the 2014 class continue to dominate lists such as these for a long time.

The NFL did set a new record for total passing attempts again in 2015. The pie for WR keeps getting bigger.

.... Or that a 28yr old josh gordon isnt, #1,let alone not even #20
Probably because there's just as good of a chance that he'll be dead or in prison.
Dead or in prison for smoking pot?

Um yeah.

Cleveland WR Josh Gordon lead the NFL in receiving yardage two years ago and could slip right back in and perform at a similar level when he returns. The odds of him being a top-twenty WR in five years are against him due to his lackadaisical work ethic. Not physical work but mental preparation. He has been working out like mad and is jacked up so he isn't lazy about working out but reports have consistently been critical of his effort in practice.

When he kept failing tests many former players criticised him, not for smoking pot but for getting caught.

Former players have said it is easy to beat the system so I think he's been coached by players and former players on how to evade NFL substance tests. I don't see him failing another test.

He's tested clean for over a year so he either hasn't been smoking, which I find doubtful, or he's been able to evade detection.

His other issues are the reason why I doubt he will be a top-twenty WR in five years. He looses focus in practice which leads to him not knowing his assignments during games where he didn't run proper routes which lead to him dropping passes and causing the QB to look bad because they would target him leading to a disproportionately high percent of passes being intercepted.

But prison or dead? For smoking pot?

Last edited by a moderator:
.... Or that a 28yr old josh gordon isnt, #1,let alone not even #20
Probably because there's just as good of a chance that he'll be dead or in prison.
Dead or in prison for smoking pot?

Um yeah.

Cleveland WR Josh Gordon lead the NFL in receiving yardage two years ago and could slip right back in and perform at a similar level when he returns. The odds of him being a top-twenty WR in five years are against him due to his lackadaisical work ethic. Not physical work but mental preparation. He has been working out like mad and is jacked up so he isn't lazy about working out but reports have consistently been critical of his effort in practice.

When he kept failing tests many former players criticised him, not for smoking pot but for getting caught.

Former players have said it is easy to beat the system so I think he's been coached by players and former players on how to evade NFL substance tests. I don't see him failing another test.

He's tested clean for over a year so he either hasn't been smoking, which I find doubtful, or he's been able to evade detection.

His other issues are the reason why I doubt he will be a top-twenty WR in five years. He looses focus in practice which leads to him not knowing his assignments during games where he didn't run proper routes which lead to him dropping passes and causing the QB to look bad because they would target him leading to a disproportionately high percent of passes being intercepted.

But prison or dead? For smoking pot?
Drunk Driving often leads to death or imprisonment. So yes. Dead or in jail. The guy isn't known for his good decisions.

Drunk Driving often leads to death or imprisonment. So yes. Dead or in jail. The guy isn't known for his good decisions.
Meh that was July 2014 he was pulled over for doing 50 in a 35 zone at 3am (who doesn't drive 50 in a 35?) I don't believe it was ever stated if he was drunk, if so what his BAC was, or high, the speeding count was voluntarily dismissed and AFAIK his only problem since then was apparently having a beer on the team plane.

Your opinion seems extreme. I don't think the book is closed on Gordon.

Biabreakable said:
How does Gase affect this offense in terms of down the field passing and WR favoritism? I truly don't know too much about him as I didn't watch the Bears all that much.
Adam Gase was the OC for the Broncos under Fox that guided by Peyton Manning was one of the most prolific passing offenses in NFL history in 2013. This offense supported Thomas, Decker, Welker and Juliuss Thomas who all had excellent seasons.

Ryan Tannehill is not Manning, but it should be a high volume passing attack, again. The offense uses a lot of WR screens and rub routes that much of the league uses right now.

Gase had Jay Cutler playing perhaps his best football this season even though his weapons were seriously diminished with the departure of Brandon Mashall, rookie White being injured all season and TE Bennett being hurt for much of the season along with Jeffrey also missing a lot of time. So watching the Bears should give some idea of the formations and types of plays they will run, the personnel does not give you an idea of the full potential of this offense due to so many of the key players being hurt and not playing.

Obviously Landry would fit into the slot or Welker role as well as being used in other ways outside. Parker would have the DT role and perhaps become the receiver with the highest number of targets if so, although it would not surprise me to see Landry lead the team in targets again.

Overall hiring Gase should be good for the Dolphins passing offense and Parkers role as the main WR in it.
In an effort to get this back on track about Parker and the Dolphins, here is a good article from a year ago discussing when Gase originally went to the Bears.

http://www.dabearsbeat.com/2015/05/08/how-will-the-adam-gase-offense-be-structured/

I agree that I see Landry in the Welker role and Parker in the DT role. That's a good thing for Parker right? If they can get that running game on track then I see good things for Parker.

Rishard Matthews may be retained because of the high amount of 3 WR sets in Gases offense. Matthews and Parker both played the same position last year and that was part of why he didn't see the field earlier on in the season. So I guess that needs to be looked at in regards to if he will be the WR 3 or will that be Stills?

They have a field stretching TE in Jordan Cameron who did manage to play in all 16 games. Cameron's catch percentage was poor only catching 35 of 70 targets (50%) but in theory he would fit their 11 personnel group.

Landry dominated targets with 28.6% of Miami's 581 receiver targets. In the final 6 games Parker had 42 targets which averages out to 7 targets per game. Over the course of a full season that would be 112 targets. During the first 10 games Matthews had 60 targets or about 6 targets per game, which is similar to the number Parker had once Matthews was injured.

The offense is changing so distribution will as well. It is hard to gauge the targets from the Bears because so many players were hurt. I think in theory Kevin White would have had the DT role with Jeffrey in the Decker role. Royal was brought in for the slot role which was taken over by Wilson when he got injured.

As mentioned in the article you linked Gase has used 3 WR a lot. They are the main players getting targets in the offense and the volume should be there for both Parker and Landry to have well over 100 targets each if healthy all season. Landry is going to be a huge part of the offense, but I would expect his target share to fall a bit so something more like 130-140 or 8-9 targets per game.

just landed him in a trade today. Parker for Tamme, Vance McDonald, and 3.14 in a PPR standard scoring league. 

just landed him in a trade today. Parker for Tamme, Vance McDonald, and 3.14 in a PPR standard scoring league. 
Well that's just ridiculous. 

I acquired parker and Eric berry for Mike Evans, large contract league where all 3 are good values but berry and parker are signed for an additional year (2 for berry)

It's a 32 team league. Two divisions. It's a paid league that I've been in for 6-7 years now. He's not a bad owner, as I recall, but this is a deal that would seem to favor me over the long haul. I have built a contending squad through offseason acquisitions like this that get picks or players through WW pick ups. 

It's a 32 team league. Two divisions. It's a paid league that I've been in for 6-7 years now. He's not a bad owner, as I recall, but this is a deal that would seem to favor me over the long haul. I have built a contending squad through offseason acquisitions like this that get picks or players through WW pick ups. 
So he's not one of the bad owners. I imagine you have built your team by trading waiver players then.

So he's not one of the bad owners. I imagine you have built your team by trading waiver players then.
like a lot of dynasty owners, i took a bad team and made it better over the course of successive years. i took a beating many years before finally building a contending team two years ago. his team is no different in that it was terrible two years ago but improved substantially last year. maybe this can be the year he breaks through and into the playoffs? offseason auctions and a good draft can help. i have flipped WW pickups into draft picks and packaged those to improve.

He is not being talked about nearly as much as he should and will be before the season starts.  He's healthy and he has had a full offseason.  I think he is a breakout candidate.

Last year he tore it up during OTAs before he got injured, reminder of what people were saying this time last year before he got injured based on what he was doing in OTAs:

... Before Davante Parker underwent foot surgery earlier this month, Dolphins linebacker Jelani Jenkins lauded the rookie wide receiver as "an animal" who "goes and gets the ball wherever it is."

Armando Salguero@ArmandoSalguero DeVante Parker is a mismatch nightmare out here.

From the article Faust linked:

Nineteen yards per catch? 

...only one player in the entire league with at least 25 catches had a higher average: San Francisco’s Torrey Smith.

Parker’s limitation wasn’t an inability to produce.

It was an inability to get — and stay — on the field.

The Dolphins’ 2015 first-round pick missed much of the summer after needing surgery to replace a screw in his foot.

And when Parker came back, Rishard Matthews had surpassed him on the depth chart. Matthews played so well that he earned a three-year, $15 million contract from the Titans in the offseason.

The Dolphins would have liked to have kept Matthews, but in truth, it’s better for all parties. Matthews gets the starting opportunity he’s always wanted.

As for Parker?

“DeVante is going to take a big step forward,” said Dolphins linebacker Jelani Jenkins.

...Parker has been asked to learn every receiving position on the field — including the slot.

The prospect of matching up a 6-foot-3, 218-pound receiver who can jump out of the stadium against a nickel corner has to be tantalizing for Adam Gase and Ryan Tannehill.

“I expect big things out of him. I’m expecting him to be a heck of a football player, a guy that other teams fear, because he can make big plays down the field, inside,” Tannehill said. “He’s a big-bodied guy. He’s a guy we’re going to want to use in the red zone, on third downs and to stretch the field as well.”

Last year was “really frustrating” for Parker, Tannehill said; the injuries “put me behind a lot,” Parker added.

But the Dolphins believe the player they saw in the last half of the season — Parker had 286 receiving yards in the final three games — is the player they’ll get for all of 2016.

... So long as his twice-repaired foot continues to feel fine, Parker’s Year 2 production should make his pedestrian Year 1 stats a distant memory.

• Parker is healthy
  • WR Richard Mathews is gone
  • Parker is learning every WR position even the slot
  • The new coaches expect big things out of him
  • His QB expects big things out of him 
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article80134197.html#storylink=cpy
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article80134197.html#storylink=cpy
At this point, the hype hasn't caught up or exceeded what he's going to do on the field.

He is not being talked about nearly as much as he should and will be before the season starts.  He's healthy and he has had a full offseason.  I think he is a breakout candidate.

Last year he tore it up during OTAs before he got injured, reminder of what people were saying this time last year before he got injured based on what he was doing in OTAs:

From the article Faust linked:

• Parker is healthy
  • WR Richard Mathews is gone
  • Parker is learning every WR position even the slot
  • The new coaches expect big things out of him
  • His QB expects big things out of him 
At this point, the hype hasn't caught up or exceeded what he's going to do on the field.
            I don't doubt he's a candidate for big things this year but, honestly, I'd like to see him focus on being a good "big" WR first and then sprinkle in all the other roles and routes. 

I don't doubt he's a candidate for big things this year but, honestly, I'd like to see him focus on being a good "big" WR first and then sprinkle in all the other roles and routes. 

Mike Clay ‏@MikeClayNFL  14h14 hours ago
Sounds like Gase will use Parker in the slot, which is huge considering the tough CB slate MIA will face
Mike Clay ‏@MikeClayNFL  3h3 hours ago
Julio, OBJ, A Brown, etc. These guys all line up in the slot at least 20% of the time. It's not uncommon these days #Parker
ike Clay ‏@MikeClayNFL  3h3 hours ago
There's a mindset that elite and/or #1 WRs exclusively line up on the perimeter. It's just not the case.
Matt Harmon ‏@MattHarmon_BYB  3h3 hours ago
Matt Harmon Retweeted Jon Nelson
Deploying Parker in the slot will be beneficial for him. Said on a few pods that's why Carroo was an important pickMatt Harmon added,
Jon Nelson @jonnyboyrev
@MikeClayNFL @MattHarmon_BYB interesting that Matt predicted it though 

Jon Nelson ‏@jonnyboyrev  9h9 hours ago
Jon Nelson Retweeted Mike Clay
More evidence for @MattHarmon_BYB can't get off the line well theory...might look at Caroo more in dynasty tooJon Nelson added,
Mike Clay @MikeClayNFL
Sounds like Gase will use Parker in the slot, which is huge considering the tough CB slate MIA will face http://hrld.us/1sShilM

------------

other X-WRs are lining up in the slot to take advantage of coverages.  

Having him line up in the slot will help him get a cleaner release from the LOS and from the tweets it sounds like the Dolphins will face a lot of tough CBs this year so he won't be facing the #1 CB every snap when he has a bad matchup on paper.

Parker did better than most realize the last month of the season when he was healthy.    

Maybe it's just me, but I get a little uncomfortable seeing so much hype directly from the team during the offseason. It makes me think they want to pump up his confidence or something. I have a couple shares and hope he's really beasting, but it sounds similar to the Davante Adams hype last year.
And really,  why trust the Dolphins organization?

And really,  why trust the Dolphins organization?
I think Adam Gase is a good reason to feel optimistic about the Dolphins offense over the next few seasons.

I still have some doubts about their scouting department. However Lamar Miller turned out to be much better than his draft position would suggest he might become. I think they have gotten lucky with the Ajayi and Tunsil picks recently. There really is a lot of talent at the skill positions right now starting with Parker who I think will be more valuable in FF than Landry currently is, either this year or next.

The Dolhpins have had some bad coaches recently. They had that scandal with their offensive line and they didn't replace the head coach. I think some of these internal problems continued to linger because of that. Hopefully Gase can change that. I think they needed a new head coach two years ago.

The problem has more been the defense and I find some of their offseason moves there to be puzzling. They did throw a lot of money at Suh who is a great player, but when watching teams run against the Dolphins, they usually have something drawn up to prevent Suh from making the play.

Although there was rumor and speciulation about Bill Lazor bringing some of the up tempo concepts with him under Chip Kelly, when listening to beat writers going in and during the season, they didn't see much evidence of that. The Dolphins offense was a lot of bootleg action and did not have a frenetic pace. The Dolphins had 977 total plays in 2015 which is below the league average of 1030 last season. To put that in context the Dolphins ran a similar number of plays to the Titans 49ers and Vikings, towards the bottom of the league. They gave up 1076 total plays to opposing offenses, which was the 7th most plays faced in 2015.

While the defense may still suck in 2016 I would expect Gase to get more plays out of this offense, perhaps similar to the 1040 plays the Dolphins had in 2014 and for the run to pass ratio to still be highly in favor of the pass.

I think Carroo complicates matters somewhat, which could hurt some of Parkers upside, but there will still enough targets for Parker to compete for WR 1 numbers, if not he should provide some WR 2 numbers in 2016.

The longer we can keep DeVante (Parker) out there and keep developing the timing with the routes and just hooking it up. I feel like there is a little natural chemistry out there (with Parker and Tannehill). Even the one day (Parker) shows up (to practice), he catches three or four balls and I’m not really sure… it was just kind of like street ball almost. So I feel like there’s just something there naturally between those two. LINK

Chris Perkins ‏@chrisperk  3h3 hours ago

DeVante Parker TD catch vs. Byron Maxwell in back of end zone...nice throw by T'hill

DeVante Parker nice TD on slant vs. CB Chimdi Chekwa...tuff catch, good coverage...good play by both

DeVante Parker nice catch deep vs. Lippett...flag on play near LBs...didn't see call...sweet throw, catch & coverage

Love Parker. Only thing holding me back is that Matt Harmon (whom I really trust with WRs) isn't sold on him. 

Why is he not sold on him?

Don't let that whipper snapper do your thinking for you. Watch Parker play and draw your own conclusion.
I love Parker. I am sure there are posts in here of me saying I thought he was the best WR in that draft class. However, I also know that I am wrong a lot. Harmon studies this stuff so I do trust his opinions. His process revealed Parker was about the worst WR against press coverage he has ever studied. He was well below average against all coverage types. Basically he saw Parker couldn't get open. He did acknowledge that perhaps Parker's foot wasn't 100% and it could have limited him. 

Watch the clip and tell me if he gets open or not.

It is always good to check your opinions against others for things that you may have missed.

Whatever process was used to determine that Parker is not good needs to be re-examined.

Users who are viewing this thread