What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Diontae Johnson, CAR (1 Viewer)

šŸ˜‚ Johnson might lead the team in receptions. Ā From the over reactions here, my take is buy low especially in PPR.
At this point there are significant questions about his ability to stay healthy. Itā€™s hard to lead a team in anything from the sidelines.Ā 

Dynasty heā€™s a great buy. Not ā€œlowā€ in my league unfortunately because the guy who drafted him is as staunch a believer as anyone in this topic.

For Redraft itā€™s fair to start wondering if he can be trusted. This is the 2nd or 3rd game heā€™s faded with injury? Hard to put that in your lineup in an important game until heā€™s strung together 2-3 healthy appearances.Ā 

Good points all.

Was just thinking say he practices full all this week.Ā  Put him in vs Cle or bench for the likes of a Viska Shenault or similar?

I think Diontae's upside remains but man those injury floor games are tough.

At this point there are significant questions about his ability to stay healthy. Itā€™s hard to lead a team in anything from the sidelines.Ā 

Dynasty heā€™s a great buy. Not ā€œlowā€ in my league unfortunately because the guy who drafted him is as staunch a believer as anyone in this topic.

For Redraft itā€™s fair to start wondering if he can be trusted. This is the 2nd or 3rd game heā€™s faded with injury? Hard to put that in your lineup in an important game until heā€™s strung together 2-3 healthy appearances.Ā 
I've honesty never approached my lineup that way. If it were one injury he kept aggravating then maybe I could see it, but right now I don't even view Johnson as injury prone. Just had some fluky bad luck.

If I were ranking in redraft today, I'd still have Johnson as a top-20 WR, and wouldn't be benching him forĀ inferior players, just because he happened to get hurt early in games.Ā 

I've honesty never approached my lineup that way. If it were one injury he kept aggravating then maybe I could see it, but right now I don't even view Johnson as injury prone. Just had some fluky bad luck.
yeah, butĀ when ā€œflukey bad luckā€ becomes a trend rather than an exception it makes me a little gun-shy about running that player out again next week. If it happens once it feels like bad luck. Twice and itā€™s really bad luck. The 3rd time I start kicking myself for continuing to run out a guy who canā€™t finish a game.Ā Ā 

If I were ranking in redraft today, I'd still have Johnson as a top-20 WR, and wouldn't be benching him forĀ inferior players, just because he happened to get hurt early in games.Ā 
Never said to bench inferior players, Ā but at some point the reality is that a player who can finish a game isnā€™t inferior to a player who canā€™t.Ā 

yeah, butĀ when ā€œflukey bad luckā€ becomes a trend rather than an exception it makes me a little gun-shy about running that player out again next week. If it happens once it feels like bad luck. Twice and itā€™s really bad luck. The 3rd time I start kicking myself for continuing to run out a guy who canā€™t finish a game.Ā Ā 

Never said to bench inferior players, Ā but at some point the reality is that a player who can finish a game isnā€™t inferior to a player who canā€™t.Ā 
Wait, are we finding ā€œtrendsā€ in four games samples sizes now? What about whenĀ he played 16 games last season?

Wait, are we finding ā€œtrendsā€ in four games samples sizes now? What about whenĀ he played 16 games last season?
No. Iā€™m simply saying for this year, heā€™s becoming hard to trust.

Heā€™s now played 1 full game & has left parts of 3 others. One after a 2-week layoff because of last weekā€™s BYE.

If I had a comparable or even slightly lesser option, I might start them over DiJo next week as a ā€œshow meā€ game.Ā 

not saying heā€™ll never stay healthy again or making a sweeping generalization. Just observing the reality that these first 4 games have been. Heā€™s hard to trust right now, with injuries piling up.Ā 

Contrary to another poster I would be more, not less concerned about having multiple different injuries. One injury might get better. Several differentĀ ones means several different ones that could recur.Ā 

And back injuries scare me in general. They donā€™t heal as well or as fast & they tend to be susceptibleĀ to recurrence. I donā€™t know the specifics of DiJoā€™s, but if it was bad enough for him to miss most of the game Iā€™d be a little worried if I were an owner.Ā 

No. Iā€™m simply saying for this year, heā€™s becoming hard to trust.

Heā€™s now played 1 full game & has left parts of 3 others. One after a 2-week layoff because of last weekā€™s BYE.

If I had a comparable or even slightly lesser option, I might start them over DiJo next week as a ā€œshow meā€ game.Ā 

not saying heā€™ll never stay healthy again or making a sweeping generalization. Just observing the reality that these first 4 games have been. Heā€™s hard to trust right now, with injuries piling up.Ā 

Contrary to another poster I would be more, not less concerned about having multiple different injuries. One injury might get better. Several differentĀ ones means several different ones that could recur.Ā 

And back injuries scare me in general. They donā€™t heal as well or as fast & they tend to be susceptibleĀ to recurrence. I donā€™t know the specifics of DiJoā€™s, but if it was bad enough for him to miss most of the game Iā€™d be a little worried if I were an owner.Ā 
Heā€™s left two games one with a concussion and one with a back injury - drawing any conclusion based on that is poor logic.

Heā€™s left two games one with a concussion and one with a back injury - drawing any conclusion based on that is poor logic.
The only conclusion Iā€™m drawing is that he hasnā€™t finished 75% of his games this year.

Seems less like logic and more like math.Ā 

And if as a DiJo owner youā€™re not concerned aboutĀ 

1. 1Ā concussions in a 3 game spanĀ 

orĀ 

2. a back injuryĀ 

youā€™re not taking the nature of these injuries seriously.

how many concussions can a player have in todayā€™s NFL before they shut him down for the year?Ā 

And that doesnā€™t even include the foot/toe or whatever the lower leg injury heā€™s been dealing with for weeksĀ was.Ā 

Last edited by a moderator:
The only conclusion Iā€™m drawing is that he hasnā€™t finished 75% of his games this year.

Seems less like logic and more like math.Ā 

And if as a DiJo owner youā€™re not concerned aboutĀ 

1. 2 concussions in a 3 game spanĀ 

orĀ 

2. a back injuryĀ 

youā€™re not taking the nature of these injuries seriously.

how many concussions can a player have in todayā€™s NFL before they shut him down for the year?Ā 
Itā€™s been two out of four. Thatā€™s 50% and you are drawing a conclusion based on that. You literally called it a trend and said you couldnā€™t start him until he strings 2-3 games together.Ā 
Ā 
Please provide a link to him suffering two concussions this season.

Please provide a link to him suffering two concussions this season.
Just corrected my post. No need to link. Iā€™d misread as 2.Ā Ā He has had 1.Ā 

And he left 2 games and didnā€™t return. The 3rd game he spent portions on the sideline due to injury. It is indeed 3/4.

You literally called it a trend
it literally has been one this season. Since week 1 he hasnā€™t had a full week of practice due to injuries.

if it happened one week thatā€™s an outlier. When it happens every week itā€™s a _________.

Just corrected my post. No need to link. Iā€™d misread as 3. He has had 1.Ā 

And he left 2 games and didnā€™t return. The 3rd game he spent portions on the sideline due to injury. It is indeed 3/4.
Stop. Youā€™re counting a game where he left for a series but still led his team in targets during that game as one of the games he ā€œmissedā€.Ā 

Stop. Youā€™re counting a game where he left for a series but still led his team in targets during that game as one of the games he ā€œmissedā€.Ā 
It supports my contention that heā€™s hard to trust.Ā 

When he left the game I doubt owners were brimming with confidence. More likely holding their breath.

Look, I want him to stay healthy as much as anyone - when heā€™s out there JJSS performs much better.

But heā€™s hard to trust. Itā€™s a fact.Ā 

Hey, if this is my impression then maybe some owners are thinking the same. Run out and buy low.Ā 

Not the owner in my dynasty league - I tried. But that dude is also a Steelers fan, so...yeah.Ā 

But IĀ canā€™t be the only one seeing his injury status every week & his trouble staying on the field. Maybe itā€™s an opportunity. Sometimes owners get sick of worrying about a dude, losing games or seeing a Red Cross next to their name. Opportunity knocks?Ā  :shrug: Ā 

It's a contention based on garbage data.Ā  Feel free to keep sticking to your guns here, but it's laughable at this point.
Itā€™s just an opinion.

The data is solid. He has basically missed half his games and now has a foot and a back injury.Ā 

Those are facts.

what you do with those facts is on you.Ā 

We have veryĀ different definitions of ā€œfactā€ I guess.
Nah - the fact is that he has a back injury bad enough to knock him out of a game.Ā 

Thatā€™s a ā€œfactā€, right?

And he hasnā€™t had a full week of practice all year.Ā 

Also a ā€œfact;ā€ right?

Seems like itā€™s a matter if you wanting the facts to not be true thatā€™s at issue here. Ā More like an opinion problem.Ā 

I will cross my fingers that DiJo can break the pattern of injury this year &Ā get right/stay healthy.. Itā€™s become clear to me that the entire Steelers offense functions better with him on the field.Ā 

Heā€™s also fun to watch.Ā 

Good luck, DiJo owners.Ā 

Hey, if this is my impression then maybe some owners are thinking the same. Run out and buy low.Ā 

Not the owner in my dynasty league - I tried. But that dude is also a Steelers fan, so...yeah.
Ah, I see what's happening here.

The old #### On A Player You're Trying To Trade For ploy.Ā  Keep on keeping on, my brother.

Ah, I see what's happening here.

The old #### On A Player You're Trying To Trade For ploy.Ā  Keep on keeping on, my brother.
Not in the slightest. Ā I tried to deal for him last week, and discovered that I had none chance of buying low. So no, I am not trying to trade for him.Ā 

I am notĀ #### on him at all. I am pointing out the reality of his injuries.

this is a ridiculous take, and one not based remotely in reality.Ā 

was 1 of my favorite WR targets heading into the season - drafted him in 2 leagues, dealt him prior to this week in 1 league with deep rosters (and I was decimated with RB injuries) for TY Hilton & Philip Lindsey after unsuccessfully trying to package him as a centerpiece in a deal for Delvin SingletaryĀ 

Let's all be honest, DJ being banged up already this season has opened a huge door for Claypool. All of those targets that Ben seemed to be forcing upon DJ just might not be there (in the same capacity) as a couple of weeks ago.

I think expectations have to be lowered based on that.

You have claimed that he did not finishĀ 3 out of 4Ā games and suffered two concussions this season. Neither were true. You obviously had to give in on the concussions because you made it up. But you still stuck to your guns on the 3/4 despite the fact he was ā€œoutā€ for one series and still lead his team in targets that game.
I made a mistake on the 2 concussions.

he left two games and didnā€™t return. He left one game a few times and did. In the contextĀ of ā€œtrustā€ I didnā€™t see much of a difference there.Ā Ā 

You claiming ā€œheā€™s hard to trustā€ is called an opinion, but you claim itā€™s fact.
no, it is my opinion that heā€™s hard to trust. I never claimed that as fact.Ā 

Let's all be honest, DJ being banged up already this season has opened a huge door for Claypool. All of those targets that Ben seemed to be forcing upon DJ just might not be there (in the same capacity) as a couple of weeks ago.

I did not get a feeling Ben was forcing things to DJ and do not feelĀ  as if he's going to cut into Diontae's target load much. DJ is just a much more developed route runner and what little Claypool cuts into his targets I think you'll see benefit of Claypool helping open things up.

I'm not saying this as wishful thinking but I have a strong degree of confidenceĀ  that if Diontae can remain on the fieldĀ  everyone that invested in him will be happy.

In terms dynasty purposes they are going to let JuJu walk and these are you two starting WR's for next few yearsĀ  and on that note my main dynasty concern for both of them is QB and it's really my only concern.

In terms dynasty purposes they are going to let JuJu walk and these are you two starting WR's for next few yearsĀ  and on that note my main dynasty concern for both of them is QB and it's really my only concern.
agree with this.Ā 

Johnson was getting those targets because he's the best route runner, and probably best RAC WR they have. If anything Johnson's week 1-2 numbers should have been better but Ben just missed a couple big plays.

Using Claypool for those targets would be a misuse of resources, of both Johnson and Claypool.Ā 

While Claypool broke out replacing Johnson, I think the guy in real trouble(assuming Claypool is here to stay, which I think he is, though not to this extent) is JuJu. JuJu isn't doing anthing after the catch, or getting much separation. He's under 10Ā YPC, and hasn't been a target hog, despite Johnson(still the target leader)Ā essentially missing 2 games. JuJu has been TD or bust, and is probably the 3rd best WR on the team.Ā 

Johnson was getting those targets because he's the best route runner, and probably best RAC WR they have. If anything Johnson's week 1-2 numbers should have been better but Ben just missed a couple big plays.

Using Claypool for those targets would be a misuse of resources, of both Johnson and Claypool.Ā 

While Claypool broke out replacing Johnson, I think the guy in real trouble(assuming Claypool is here to stay, which I think he is, though not to this extent) is JuJu. JuJu isn't doing anthing after the catch, or getting much separation. He's under 10Ā YPC, and hasn't been a target hog, despite Johnson(still the target leader)Ā essentially missing 2 games. JuJu has been TD or bust, and is probably the 3rd best WR on the team.Ā 
Worth pointing out that Jujuā€™s best 2 games were the full and partial game with DiJo on the field. JJSS accounted for 3 TDs in those 2 games.Ā 

I believe Johnsonā€™s presence helps JJSS production, just as JJSS getting defensive attention helped Claypool.Ā 

If they can get all 3 healthy itā€™s gonna be fireworks for this offense.Ā 

Worth pointing out that Jujuā€™s best 2 games were the full and partial game with DiJo on the field. JJSS accounted for 3 TDs in those 2 games.Ā 

I believe Johnsonā€™s presence helps JJSS production, just as JJSS getting defensive attention helped Claypool.Ā 

If they can get all 3 healthy itā€™s gonna be fireworks for this offense.Ā 
We've found the common ground.

Yeah, I don't see how what transpired yesterday could be seen as a positive for DJ... and it just about buries Washington.

I started to view DJ as a possible WR1 going forward this season, but not really seeing it now.

Guys this isn't a 4 game sample. This is close to a 20 game sample. Diontae was banged up all year last year too. I'm not saying he can't get healthy and learn how to protect himself better I'm just saying it's not totally ridiculous to start thinking he might beĀ injury prone. The evidence is building towards that.Ā 

I've never been a JuJu fan and felt like this was likely after seeing Diontae start to flash last year. I have however heard JuJu might be willing to take a lot less to stay. Depending on how little he's willing to take he might stay with Pittsburgh but it'll still be the Claypool/Diontae show.

I thought it would be Diontae taking over as the WR1 in Pittsburgh but I'm not as confident with that given Diontae's ever growing list of injuries. Claypool might end up being the #1 with Diontae being the #2. Their games don't seem to overlap though so they should fitĀ well together.Ā 

Guys this isn't a 4 game sample. This is close to a 20 game sample. Diontae was banged up all year last year too. I'm not saying he can't get healthy and learn how to protect himself better I'm just saying it's not totally ridiculous to start thinking he might beĀ injury prone. The evidence is building towards that.Ā 
He did not miss a game last season. Every player is banged up over the course of a season.Ā 

Iā€™ve always been a fan and have targeted him in my leagues, thinking he could be a rock solid WR 2.

The data set is now big enough and the periodic dings are enough to say that heā€™s really a back end WR 3, and perhaps a WR 4.Ā 
Ā 

He did not miss a game last season. Every player is banged up over the course of a season.Ā 
No every player is not banged up like Diontae Johnson was last year. He gutted it out and played through it so that's good but this season is not off to a good start. He has basically touched the ball once or twice and gotten knocked out of a game twice now. I'm going to need to see him touch the ball at least 4 times without breaking to stop this trend.Ā 

1. Not every player is banged up. Not every player keeps their owners guessing with a Q or a ā€œlimited practice, [body part]ā€Ā every week.Ā 

2. Not every player lets injuries knock them out of games. Many players play through getting banged up.Ā Folks in here sticking a fork in JJSS have uniformly failedĀ to mention that heā€™s also been playing through a nagging knee injury. But it hasnā€™t cost him playing time. Heā€™s played through it.

At some point you have to either acknowledge that Dionte Johnson doesnā€™t play through his injuries making him difficult to trust, or, his back injury is significant enough to be a concern going forward.

It simplyĀ has to be one of the two.Ā 

No every player is not banged up like Diontae Johnson was last year. He gutted it out and played through it so that's good but this season is not off to a good start. He has basically touched the ball once or twice and gotten knocked out of a game twice now. I'm going to need to see him touch the ball at least 4 times without breaking to stop this trend.Ā 
Exactly. Iā€™m not saying heā€™s injury prone or that heā€™s incapable of getting healthy as a generalization thatā€™s written in stone ala Fragile Fred (delicate Dionte?)Ā - but SO FAR, heā€™s been injury prone & hasnā€™t been able to get healthy.Ā 

I even said this might be a reason someone could buy-low, if the Dionte owner in their league shares my concerns over what weā€™ve seen to this point.Ā 

Regardless, his 2020 injuries canā€™t be simply glossed over as noting to worry about. Back Injuries are among the worst short of tears and breaks.

Give me almost any soft tissue strain or sprain over a bad back. Those heal. Back injuries can be debilitating for anyone for a long time, can be slow to heal & can recur pretty easily in a game where players get hit a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread