What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Hakeem Butler, PIT (1 Viewer)

https://twitter.com/FB_FilmAnalysis/status/1102037521091960833

Ted Nguyen‏Verified account @FB_FilmAnalysis

Combine has confirmed that Butler is WR1 - No it's not just because he's really big and could Moss DBs - Drops are concerning but he's a hands catcher so hopefully with better focus that problem gets better - A lot of nuance to his game as well Writing my scouting report

6:46 PM - 2 Mar 2019

----------------------------------

Matt Waldman‏Verified account @MattWaldman

Matt Waldman Retweeted Ted Nguyen

If my current grade holds up on him as I finish up my analysis, Butler will earn one of the highest grades I’ve given a WR.

Matt Waldman‏Verified account @MattWaldman

Matt Waldman Retweeted Ted Nguyen

If my current grade holds up on him as I finish up my analysis, Butler will earn one of the highest grades I’ve given a WR.
I like Walkman and he’s a good read but he gets his man crushes and just loses his mind sometimes. I mean he probably still thinks Lamar Jackson is one of the best pocket passers out of last years class. If he’s this high on Butler, I just can’t trust it. Whatever anyone thinks Butler isn’t that good, assuming he means highest grades ever, which this makes it sound like.

I like Walkman and he’s a good read but he gets his man crushes and just loses his mind sometimes. I mean he probably still thinks Lamar Jackson is one of the best pocket passers out of last years class. If he’s this high on Butler, I just can’t trust it. Whatever anyone thinks Butler isn’t that good, assuming he means highest grades ever, which this makes it sound like.
He was beating Mahomes drum before most jumped on that band wagon. Does he get some assessments wrong? Yes. But he also nails enough to where you should be listening and adding some weight to what he says.

I like Walkman and he’s a good read but he gets his man crushes and just loses his mind sometimes. 
This. He may get a few right, but he really pigeonholes himself with some of these players. Hes approaching Lammy status for me- votes of confidence is the kiss of death- but not quite. I just take what he says and dont weigh it any more than anything else I use. 

This. He may get a few right, but he really pigeonholes himself with some of these players. Hes approaching Lammy status for me- votes of confidence is the kiss of death- but not quite. I just take what he says and dont weigh it any more than anything else I use. 
Par for the course for anyone who doesn’t take any statistical measure into the equation. I saw Dane Bruglar argue that the 4.49 wasn’t indicative of his “game speed”. I can’t believe that’s a thing still when we are starting to be able to quantify in game game speed. Wouldn’t surprise me if both him and Waldman had Riley Ridley top 10 prior to the combine. I just do not have respect for that and that’s why I’m very, very skeptical of Josh Jacobs. These are the people hyping that.

Waldman does the work and has opinions of every guy so you have to put things into perspective when he says something because he can spin a half hour riff on an UDFA that won't ever see an NFL snap just because he has done the work and he can.

(Warning to anyone who thinks they have license to hijack this thread) Don't use this as an excuse to rehash this or I will lobby the mods to lock this thread.  His takes on black QBs stem from his marriage so he is extra sensitive to stereotypical takes that label black QBs as 'running' QBs or code for not being smart enough to operate from the pocket, see his 'racially' charged take on Teddy Bridgewater.  People  went nuts when he said this>>>>   Matt Waldman: 75% chance Bridgwater falls due to racism

I've followed Waldman before his gig with FBGs when he talked up a RB named Tiki Barber who helped me dominate a fantasy league, he does the work and brings his own opinions like last year when he had Nick Chubb as his #1 RB or when he thought Michael Thomas should have been the 1st WR drafted.

When he goes out on a limb like this he is stepping outside of his opaque intellectual ivory tower and talking from his heart.  Context is everything with a guy who studies every prospect and has long winded takes.  He sees something unique with Butler so I am taking note but YMMV. 

Par for the course for anyone who doesn’t take any statistical measure into the equation. I saw Dane Bruglar argue that the 4.49 wasn’t indicative of his “game speed”. I can’t believe that’s a thing still when we are starting to be able to quantify in game game speed. Wouldn’t surprise me if both him and Waldman had Riley Ridley top 10 prior to the combine. I just do not have respect for that and that’s why I’m very, very skeptical of Josh Jacobs. These are the people hyping that.
Sports Science labs would be better suited to come up with some "combine drills" rather than what they do right now.  Measure explosiveness in terms of breaks and cuts on a football field.  Measure their hip looseness for DB's and reactionary skills when the ball is in the air.  As much as I value the combine, it lacks in a lot of areas.  I saw a clip yesterday that had Deebo Samuel burning Mark Fields CB who ran 4.37 at the combine and Deebo ran 4.48.  Context is key and the combine doesn't offer any of that.  Maybe it's just me as an amateur evaluator that wants more and the mass public just likes the entertainment for TV purposes but it isn't enough.  

Also I stopped listening to Waldman the second he said "this guy has too detailed of a route"

End rant

Waldman does the work and has opinions of every guy so you have to put things into perspective when he says something because he can spin a half hour riff on an UDFA that won't ever see an NFL snap just because he has done the work and he can.

(Warning to anyone who thinks they have license to hijack this thread) Don't use this as an excuse to rehash this or I will lobby the mods to lock this thread.  His takes on black QBs stem from his marriage so he is extra sensitive to stereotypical takes that label black QBs as 'running' QBs or code for not being smart enough to operate from the pocket, see his 'racially' charged take on Teddy Bridgewater.  People  went nuts when he said this>>>>   Matt Waldman: 75% chance Bridgwater falls due to racism

I've followed Waldman before his gig with FBGs when he talked up a RB named Tiki Barber who helped me dominate a fantasy league, he does the work and brings his own opinions like last year when he had Nick Chubb as his #1 RB or when he thought Michael Thomas should have been the 1st WR drafted.

When he goes out on a limb like this he is stepping outside of his opaque intellectual ivory tower and talking from his heart.  Context is everything with a guy who studies every prospect and has long winded takes.  He sees something unique with Butler so I am taking note but YMMV. 
So Lamar Jackson is a very good pocket passer? He loses objectivity. It isn't being out on a limb it's being blinded in cases like that. And I already said he's a good read but sometimes he loses the plot so you can't blindly follow him.

You are really all over the map here and warning people to stay on topic or you'll lobby to get the post locked? You really have a high opinion of yourself. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sports Science labs would be better suited to come up with some "combine drills" rather than what they do right now.  Measure explosiveness in terms of breaks and cuts on a football field.  Measure their hip looseness for DB's and reactionary skills when the ball is in the air.  As much as I value the combine, it lacks in a lot of areas.  I saw a clip yesterday that had Deebo Samuel burning Mark Fields CB who ran 4.37 at the combine and Deebo ran 4.48.  Context is key and the combine doesn't offer any of that.  Maybe it's just me as an amateur evaluator that wants more and the mass public just likes the entertainment for TV purposes but it isn't enough.  

Also I stopped listening to Waldman the second he said "this guy has too detailed of a route"

End rant
I agree. I would want them to keep what they have for the sake of historical comps but their are definitely some better drills out there to measure positions. 

Waldman is retweeing some one else's (Ted Nguyen) thoughts. I guess that means he agrees to some extent, but he's not the one saying it.

The thing about the draftnik tape watchers is they all listen to each other. I can't really take their process very serious when I know it is being influenced by what other folks are saying as well. It would be preferable to have someone who does not use social media and just breaks down the tape without listening to anyone else.

It is nearly an impossible task from that perspective. As far as having an original opinion of any player.

You have watched Butler more than I have I think. What is your opinion of his drops?

IIRC I heard Butler had 11 drops on 71 targets. That is a pretty high percentage.

The thing about the draftnik tape watchers is they all listen to each other. I can't really take their process very serious when I know it is being influenced by what other folks are saying as well. It would be preferable to have someone who does not use social media and just breaks down the tape without listening to anyone else.

It is nearly an impossible task from that perspective. As far as having an original opinion of any player.

You have watched Butler more than I have I think. What is your opinion of his drops?

IIRC I heard Butler had 11 drops on 71 targets. That is a pretty high percentage.
Drops are always a concern. In this case, his QB’s were trash. He was consistently being overthrown and underthrown and having to speed up, slow down, jump and over power DB’s. When Bruglar says he “doesn’t play at 4.49” I find that statement to be attrocious. He justified saying that because of “separation”. Now I’m no scout and don’t pretend to be but I’m pretty sure agility drills and strength would be more akin to separation. He ran away from Kansas State on multiple plays and while that’s far from the only time it happened it exemplifies his speed the best. 

Drops are always a concern. In this case, his QB’s were trash. He was consistently being overthrown and underthrown and having to speed up, slow down, jump and over power DB’s. When Bruglar says he “doesn’t play at 4.49” I find that statement to be attrocious. He justified saying that because of “separation”. Now I’m no scout and don’t pretend to be but I’m pretty sure agility drills and strength would be more akin to separation. He ran away from Kansas State on multiple plays and while that’s far from the only time it happened it exemplifies his speed the best. 
I do think if you do this enough you can eyeball a players relative speed with some amount of accuracy.

Butler seems fast enough to me without knowing the 40 time.

I have read Butler saying the drops are due to a lapse in concentration and something he knows he needs to work on.

Everything else seems pretty positive regarding Butler. Catching the ball is a big deal though.

The Draft Network's Trevor Sikkema projects the Baltimore Ravens to select Iowa State WR Hakeem Butler with the 22nd pick in his team-specific mock draft.

Butler (6'5/227) is coming off a strong junior season, and more recently, he's coming off a strong NFL Scouting Combine that saw his SPARQ score test in the 92nd percentile. The Ravens have an obvious need at wideout, and as Sikkema writes: "He’d be a big target for Lamar Jackson that does not exists on the roster right now." This pick wouldn't be a surprise to us at all, assuming Butler is still on the board.

SOURCE: The Draft Network

Mar 5, 2019, 4:39 PM

Iowa State WR Hakeem Butler said his favorite route is the go route.

"Like a lot of people here y’all gonna sleep on my speed, but once I get up on you I’m gone and it’s too late. If you put the ball anywhere I’m gonna get it," said Butler (6'5/227) explaining his answer. His talk about his underrated speed was backed at the NFL Scouting Combine when he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.48 seconds, which has vaulted his draft projection to the Round 1/2 borderline.

SOURCE: The Draft Network

Mar 8, 2019, 8:50 PM

The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard calls Iowa State WR Hakeem Butler a dream fit at No. 20 overall for the Pittsburg Steelers.

The Steelers are going to be in the market for a wide receiver when they inevitably trade Antonio Brown, and Butler (6'5/227) will be among the top choices. After a quiet start to his career at Iowa State, Butler broke out in 2018 to the tune of 1,318 receiving yards (12.2 YPT) and nine touchdowns. Butler then improved or solidified his status as a Day 1 or early Day 2 prospect at the NFL Scouting Combine. In fact, some draft analysts are beginning to slot Butler as WR1.

SOURCE: Jon Ledyard on Twitter

Mar 8, 2019, 7:58 PM

An anonymous AFC wide receiver coach believes Iowa State WR Hakeem Butler can "get better with his hands."

The coach continued by smothering Butler (6'5/227) with praise, saying "you see him turn catches into touchdowns just with his strength to break tackles. He's a handful for one guy to bring down by himself." Butler tore up the NFL Scouting Combine, producing a 92nd percentile athletic composite score. NFL Media's Lance Zierlein gave an underwhelming comparison to Danario Alexander but after a strong showing at the combine, Butler's draft stock sits on the Round 1/2 border.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 13, 2019, 7:28 PM

Bleacher Report's Tyler Brook believes that Iowa State WR Hakeem Butler should be getting more attention.

Brooke says that Butler not getting more attention is one of the biggest questions of the 2019 draft. "Sure, Butler is ranked among the top 50 in Matt Miller's latest big board. But he should be considered a candidate for top-ranked-receiver status in this year's draft class," he writes. He notes that Butler (6'5/227) tested in at least the 95th percentile of all wideouts in height, weight, wingspan, arm length and hand size, and the tape is pretty good, too. "This is a stacked class of wide receivers," writes Brooke, "but Butler's playing style and competitive toughness deserve more attention than he's been getting."

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Mar 22, 2019, 12:17 PM

Bleacher Report's Tyler Brook believes that Iowa State WR Hakeem Butler should be getting more attention.

Brooke says that Butler not getting more attention is one of the biggest questions of the 2019 draft. "Sure, Butler is ranked among the top 50 in Matt Miller's latest big board. But he should be considered a candidate for top-ranked-receiver status in this year's draft class," he writes. He notes that Butler (6'5/227) tested in at least the 95th percentile of all wideouts in height, weight, wingspan, arm length and hand size, and the tape is pretty good, too. "This is a stacked class of wide receivers," writes Brooke, "but Butler's playing style and competitive toughness deserve more attention than he's been getting."

Mar 22, 2019, 12:17 PM
I actually think Butler might be getting to the point of being over-valued. I am surprised at this narrative. I love Butler, but I'm always cautious over guys who jump up draft boards solely due to a great combine. He's not WR1 in my book, but he was high on my board before his combine

I actually think Butler might be getting to the point of being over-valued. I am surprised at this narrative. I love Butler, but I'm always cautious over guys who jump up draft boards solely due to a great combine. He's not WR1 in my book, but he was high on my board before his combine
Depends where he lands

Depends where he lands
Absolutely. If it's a team that can use his skillset, then maybe he goes higher. What if Dallas drafts him? Is he still in the convo for WR1? Heck no. If Indy drafts him... maybe. To say he should get more attention just because he scored in the top 95 percentile at the combine is ridiculous. And I am a big fan of Butler

Absolutely. If it's a team that can use his skillset, then maybe he goes higher. What if Dallas drafts him? Is he still in the convo for WR1? Heck no. If Indy drafts him... maybe. To say he should get more attention just because he scored in the top 95 percentile at the combine is ridiculous. And I am a big fan of Butler
Agreed. Things with Butler that give me pause are late breakout/one year of production and a history of drops. Both of those things have me choosing Harry or AJ Brown as of today. I think these two are in a different tier. 

Graham Barfield‏Verified account @GrahamBarfield

Hakeem Butler is a size-speed freak who dominated in 2018 at 6-5, 227lbs:

55% of his receptions gained 20+ yards, highest rate in class

Leads class in YPR, 5th in yards gained per route run (PFF)

Tested as 98th percentile athlete in height-adjusted forty yard dash

7:10 PM - 23 Mar 2019

-----------------------------------

Check  out this pic of his vertical in action

The above pic is him.  >>> Video proof of Hakeem Butler's vert

The Chieifs might be in the market.

Can you imagine Mahomes to Butler?  

Where he goes, QB/OC can make him the top fantasy WR IMHO.

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva  Evan Silva Retweeted Greg Cosell

Cosell on Hakeem Butler: "I think a legitimate comparison can be made to A.J. Green."

Evan Silva added, Greg CosellVerified account @gregcosell

Yesterday I posted my evals of AJ Brown and N'Keal Harry. We'll stay with the receiver theme today with Hakeem Butler and Keesean Johnson, 2 receivers whose film I really liked. As always, comments, both positive and negative, always welcome.

5:47 PM - 23 Mar 2019  https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/1109617797917822984

Graham Barfield‏Verified account @GrahamBarfield

Hakeem Butler is a size-speed freak who dominated in 2018 at 6-5, 227lbs:

55% of his receptions gained 20+ yards, highest rate in class

Leads class in YPR, 5th in yards gained per route run (PFF)

Tested as 98th percentile athlete in height-adjusted forty yard dash

7:10 PM - 23 Mar 2019

-----------------------------------

Check  out this pic of his vertical in action

The above pic is him.  >>> Video proof of Hakeem Butler's vert

The Chieifs might be in the market.

Can you imagine Mahomes to Butler?  

Where he goes, QB/OC can make him the top fantasy WR IMHO.

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva  Evan Silva Retweeted Greg Cosell

Cosell on Hakeem Butler: "I think a legitimate comparison can be made to A.J. Green."

Evan Silva added, Greg CosellVerified account @gregcosell

Yesterday I posted my evals of AJ Brown and N'Keal Harry. We'll stay with the receiver theme today with Hakeem Butler and Keesean Johnson, 2 receivers whose film I really liked. As always, comments, both positive and negative, always welcome.

5:47 PM - 23 Mar 2019  https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/1109617797917822984
Is that busted knuckles in the comments? Never see thst guy post anymore

I keep seeing people reference dropped passes for Butler, can anyone point me in the direction to the stats that back that up?  

Maybe but he's right about Butler. This has Kevin White written all over it. 
I went back and watched some Kevin white tape, and feel what made him special was his acceleration and explosiveness- something immediately sapped with a series of lower body injuries. I don’t think he’s ever been healthy really, and perhaps has lost that element. Maybe he makes the team in Arizona. 

Perhaps kenny golladay would be an apt comparison. 

Where Mel Kiper Jr. has Hakeem Butler going in the NFL Draft

AMES, Ia. — ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. wanted to see how former Iowa State wide receiver Hakeem Butler ran at the NFL Scouting Combine before deciding where he could land in the draft. 

After Butler shined with a great run, Kiper now thinks he has a pretty good idea where the former Cyclones star may go. 

Kiper said Tuesday he expects Butler to land in the second round, but he didn't rule out the lengthy wide receiver sneaking into the first round, as well. 

"The jury is still out on the first round," Kiper said. "I don't have him in the first round mock. With his size, his speed, he ran a 4.4 (and has) great athletic ability. A little inconsistent with his hands at times. That's the only thing that would maybe push him into the second round. That's where I see him going right now."

Butler, a 6-foot-6, 225-pound wide receiver for the Cyclones, recorded one of the best seasons in Iowa State history. He shattered Iowa State's school record for receiving yards with 1,318 and tallied 60 receptions for nine touchdowns last season. 

After the season, Butler decided to forgo his senior year at Iowa State and enter the NFL Draft. Some draft projections have had Butler slipping into the first round at times, and Kiper even said before the NFL Combine that he could work his way in there with a strong 40-yard time. Even though Butler delivered with that, Kiper believes it's not enough to get him into the first round. 

"He's one of the top 10 receivers in this draft," Kiper said. "There's probably going to be two or three in the first and then probably six or seven in the second round.

"I think second round for Butler." 

Iowa State WR Hakeem Butler did not make NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah's top 50.

Butler (6'5/227) is the top wide receiver in the 2019 NFL Draft according to a handful draft analysts, which goes to show how different opinions are on the giant receiver. This makes projecting Butler's draft slot nearly impossible, but anywhere between a late first and early third wouldn't be surprising. Butler torched the Big-12 to the tune of 1,318 yards and nine touchdowns in 2018, but he is also one of the older receiving prospects with little production before last season.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Apr 3, 2019, 1:17 PM

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller compared Iowa State's Hakeem Butler to Demaryius Thomas in his analysis of the wideout.

"Butler is an intriguing height/weight/speed receiver who will straight-up Randy Moss some defensive backs, but his concentration drops and body catches are hard to ignore," Miller wrote in his analysis of Butler (6'5/227). Opinions on the Iowa State wideout tend to vary among draft scouts, with some projecting him to be a first round pick while others even have him slipping to the early portion of the third round. Butler has the physical tools to be an outstanding addition, but the overall production at the college level was a bit limited.

Apr 4, 2019, 8:24 AM

Evan Silva and his co host Josh Norris on the Rotoworld podcast have Butler as their far and away WR1 calling him a possible transcendent talent 

Evan Silva and his co host Josh Norris on the Rotoworld podcast have Butler as their far and away WR1 calling him a possible transcendent talent 
I am still tentative. A transcendent talent that took 3 years to get into the rotation at Iowa State? Even then as a junior he was tied for 3rd in receptions on the team, 2nd in yards and 2nd in TD catches- just a shade ahead of some guy named Marchie Murdock. Butler crushed his senior year but it still puzzles me why a transcendent talent who is built like a create-a-player in a video game took so long to make an impact in college. I know Waldman likes him- said he is one of the best prospects he has ever scouted. On the other hand Daniel Jeremiah has him outside his top 50 and Lance Zierlein has him as WR 12. 

I am still tentative. A transcendent talent that took 3 years to get into the rotation at Iowa State? Even then as a junior he was tied for 3rd in receptions on the team, 2nd in yards and 2nd in TD catches- just a shade ahead of some guy named Marchie Murdock. Butler crushed his senior year but it still puzzles me why a transcendent talent who is built like a create-a-player in a video game took so long to make an impact in college. I know Waldman likes him- said he is one of the best prospects he has ever scouted. On the other hand Daniel Jeremiah has him outside his top 50 and Lance Zierlein has him as WR 12. 
What is the reason he didn’t break out earlier? Does anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread