What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jameson Williams, DET (1 Viewer)

LionsWire OTA report:

The chemistry experiment between quarterback Jared Goff and wide receiver Jameson Williams continues to show it needs more time and cohesion. They continue to not be on the same page on when and where Williams is supposed to be on routes. It led to one rep where Goff threw up his hands in disgust.

How that rep played out is one reason why there’s still an abundance of hope. Offensive coordinator Ben Johnson ran out to Williams and explained to the second-year wideout where he erred. Williams then went to Goff, and the two had a discussion. To call it animated is overselling it, but Goff was pretty pointedly showing and explaining to Williams where he wanted him to be on that post route. The two walked together to the other field for the team drills, still talking and working it out.

It wasn’t the only miscue from Williams on the day. I didn’t note any drops, unlike last week’s OTA, but he continues to show he needs more work on his timing and releases on inside-breaking routes. It’s June 1st; far from time to panic. That’s important to remember. But it would be nice if Williams showed some tangible progress into next week’s mandatory minicamp.

It's the beginning of his first minicamp. These are the things you work on. :shrug:
Ja'Marr Chase can't catch footballs. A real shame. Was a really exciting prospect, but just couldn't catch footballs. Sad way to end his career during his rookie preseason, but that's life I guess ...
We're all trying to predict the future. The facts are that Jameson was a highly touted player drafted with a top 10 pick coming off of a major injury. He played in 6 games and caught one ball while his team was squarely in the playoff hunt and in need of play makers. He's since been suspended 6 games for gambling which seems to be a pretty clear no-no for NFL players.

I see that and see a player that has lost significant value. You must not.
Oh, I do see it that way. That's why I sold him for the #11 pick after the suspension and social media high-roller acting video. The signs were starting to add up before this blurb ever came out. They're not huge red flags, but some "yellow flags" or whatever. So yes, overall I'd be treading cautiously with the guy, but this route-running deal is the kind of thing that, two years from today, could be looked at as a sign of what was to come, or a total joke.

To anyone concerned about Jameson, I'm with you. To anyone panicking, I point to stuff like the "Ja'Marr chase drops".
The gambling gives me more concern than the rookie season.

Poor choices.

The talent is there. He's on a good offense with a clear path to targets. Before the ACL, I liked him more than Olave and Wilson. Those two may very well be far better than him. But I don't think last season proves anything in terms of Jameson.

The lions said they were going to be overly cautious. They did it. And now people are in here crying "But he couldn't even help a borderline playoff team in a year they knew they couldn't beat the power house teams?!

Last edited:
LionsWire OTA report:

The chemistry experiment between quarterback Jared Goff and wide receiver Jameson Williams continues to show it needs more time and cohesion. They continue to not be on the same page on when and where Williams is supposed to be on routes. It led to one rep where Goff threw up his hands in disgust.

How that rep played out is one reason why there’s still an abundance of hope. Offensive coordinator Ben Johnson ran out to Williams and explained to the second-year wideout where he erred. Williams then went to Goff, and the two had a discussion. To call it animated is overselling it, but Goff was pretty pointedly showing and explaining to Williams where he wanted him to be on that post route. The two walked together to the other field for the team drills, still talking and working it out.

It wasn’t the only miscue from Williams on the day. I didn’t note any drops, unlike last week’s OTA, but he continues to show he needs more work on his timing and releases on inside-breaking routes. It’s June 1st; far from time to panic. That’s important to remember. But it would be nice if Williams showed some tangible progress into next week’s mandatory minicamp.

It's the beginning of his first minicamp. These are the things you work on. :shrug:
Ja'Marr Chase can't catch footballs. A real shame. Was a really exciting prospect, but just couldn't catch footballs. Sad way to end his career during his rookie preseason, but that's life I guess ...
We're all trying to predict the future. The facts are that Jameson was a highly touted player drafted with a top 10 pick coming off of a major injury. He played in 6 games and caught one ball while his team was squarely in the playoff hunt and in need of play makers. He's since been suspended 6 games for gambling which seems to be a pretty clear no-no for NFL players.

Oh, I do see it that way. That's why I sold him for the #11 pick after the suspension and social media high-roller acting video. The signs were starting to add up before this blurb ever came out. They're not huge red flags, but some "yellow flags" or whatever. So yes, overall I'd be treading cautiously with the guy, but this route-running deal is the kind of thing that, two years from today, could be looked at as a sign of what was to come, or a total joke.

To anyone concerned about Jameson, I'm with you. To anyone panicking, I point to stuff like the "Ja'Marr chase drops".

Poor choices.

The talent is there. He's on a good offense with a clear path to targets. Before the ACL, I liked him more than Olave and Wilson. Those two may very well be far better than him. But I don't think last season proves anything.

The lions said they were going to be overly cautious. They did it. And now people are in here crying "But he couldn't even help a borderline playoff team in a year they knew they couldn't beat the power house

LionsWire OTA report:

Poor choices.

The talent is there. He's on a good offense with a clear path to targets. Before the ACL, I liked him more than Olave and Wilson. Those two may very well be far better than him. But I don't think last season proves anything.

The lions said they were going to be overly cautious. They did it. And now people are in here crying "But he couldn't even help a borderline playoff team in a year they knew they couldn't beat the power house
Exactly. Very well put. Look, we all have been guilty sometimes of overreacting about things that didn't mean squat and the player proved it on the field or not. Come on, we're in ota's for heaven sakes. All I know is I saw him catch a sideline pass and outrun the corner and safety that tried to come and help and it wasn't even close. Just my opinion but I think it's not weither he can put it all together but when. He's just as fast as Garrett Wilson and just as talented in my opinion. When it clicks he is going to be a handful. I'd hang on to him if you can.

Pride of Detroit Day 1 of Mini Camp report:

The big question on most fans' minds is: how is the chemistry between Goff and Jameson Williams? And my answer is: in progress.

Like with Gibbs, Williams had a hard time hauling in passes from Goff during individual drills and even repeated some drills in order to try and correct the issue. But even if they corrected the issue on one route, they’d run into another issue on the next.

It’s hard to tell exactly what the issue is, but from what I saw on Tuesday, I believe it’s a combination of Williams having elite speed/athleticism—which makes everything happen faster—yet being too inconsistent in his route tree to allow for a timing route to work. Because his routes aren’t always identical in their patterns—and because he’s so athletic—Goff's anticipation of where Williams will be is a bit off, resulting in incompletions.

On the plus side, in team drills, Williams and Goff were on the same page several times and made a few nice connections on the outside at mid-range and down the seam. Experience will help the duo.

@JeffRisdon’s understanding of the Jameson Williams betting incident is that he bet on a college football game from an app while in a hotel room in another state. Since it was a “team hotel,” it wasn’t allowed. How many players actually knew this wasn’t allowed? 10%?​

FWIW I don't consider Ris a credible source. Ever known anyone who makes out like they're a bigger deal than they actually are, constantly name dropping and telling fish tales that make themselves look awesome? He's that kind of guy, I'm an insider and you're not. But he's always worked for low level sites like RealGM, Bleacher Report, Lions Wire, rare to see anyone cite him....been credentialed for a long time but his takes make me think he's just a goofball. Just my opinion. I don't think anyone knows the details, Jamo and his team have consistently withheld details. I could be wrong of course, just my :2cents: , regardless the punishment seems like overkill for the misdeed.

Best player on the field today.

Pride of Detroit:

Detroit Lions minicamp Day 2 observations

To be completely honest, it has been an offseason program to forget for Detroit Lions receiver Jameson Williams. Granted, this is the first set of OTAs and minicamp Williams has ever gone through after missing the entire offseason program last year with his ACL injury. Still, he’s dealt with regularly dropped passes and a clear lack of chemistry with Jared Goff.

But during Wednesday’s minicamp practice, the potential of Jameson Williams as a huge difference-maker was on display, especially during full-team drills.

Williams is mostly repping with the second-team offense, but on Thursday he did exactly what the 12th-overall pick in the draft should do: dominate a bunch of backups.

During an 11-on-11 drill, where the offense started around their own 30-35 yard line, Williams immediately kicked the drive off with back-to-back catches from Nate Sudfeld for a combined 36 yards. Sudfeld went back to him again on the next pass, but rookie cornerback Starling Thomas V likely would’ve drawn a flag on the play for clear pass interference.

Later in practice, the team worked on a red-zone opportunity: The offense started at the 10-yard line with only 10 seconds to score a touchdown. The first-team offense struggled to find the end zone with the defense playing with eight guys in coverage—several just waiting on the goal line. But on the very first play of the session for the second team, Williams burst open by a few steps along the back of the end zone and Sudfeld found him for the easy score.

There is still a ways to go for Williams, and several times during Wednesday’s practice you could see receivers coach Antwaan Randle-El having long conversations with him, but this was a big step in the right direction.

Jamo Watch - Jameson Williams Was Best Player On Field At Minicamp Today - Detroit Lions Podcast

https://twitter.com/bobwojnowski
@bobwojnowski
·3h

I can report from Lions camp that Jameson Williams made a couple of excellent catches in traffic from Goff. Also, Lions fans are going to love new cornerback Cam Sutton. Also, Aaron Glenn already loves his defensive additions. That's all for now!

Best player on the field today.

Pride of Detroit:

Detroit Lions minicamp Day 2 observations​

To be completely honest, it has been an offseason program to forget for Detroit Lions receiver Jameson Williams. Granted, this is the first set of OTAs and minicamp Williams has ever gone through after missing the entire offseason program last year with his ACL injury. Still, he’s dealt with regularly dropped passes and a clear lack of chemistry with Jared Goff.

But during Wednesday’s minicamp practice, the potential of Jameson Williams as a huge difference-maker was on display, especially during full-team drills.

Williams is mostly repping with the second-team offense, but on Thursday he did exactly what the 12th-overall pick in the draft should do: dominate a bunch of backups.

During an 11-on-11 drill, where the offense started around their own 30-35 yard line, Williams immediately kicked the drive off with back-to-back catches from Nate Sudfeld for a combined 36 yards. Sudfeld went back to him again on the next pass, but rookie cornerback Starling Thomas V likely would’ve drawn a flag on the play for clear pass interference.

Later in practice, the team worked on a red-zone opportunity: The offense started at the 10-yard line with only 10 seconds to score a touchdown. The first-team offense struggled to find the end zone with the defense playing with eight guys in coverage—several just waiting on the goal line. But on the very first play of the session for the second team, Williams burst open by a few steps along the back of the end zone and Sudfeld found him for the easy score.

There is still a ways to go for Williams, and several times during Wednesday’s practice you could see receivers coach Antwaan Randle-El having long conversations with him, but this was a big step in the right direction.

Jamo Watch - Jameson Williams Was Best Player On Field At Minicamp Today - Detroit Lions Podcast

https://twitter.com/bobwojnowski
@bobwojnowski
·3h

I can report from Lions camp that Jameson Williams made a couple of excellent catches in traffic from Goff. Also, Lions fans are going to love new cornerback Cam Sutton. Also, Aaron Glenn already loves his defensive additions. That's all for now!
Okay, I confess. I drafted him last year in my league for this year. It's unfortunate about the gambling but this report doesn't surprise me. I swear I've never wanted to see a player start playing in 30 years of playing FF. It's because I truly think this young man is going to be one a kind generational player. There, I said it. Lol

Ever known anyone who makes out like they're a bigger deal than they actually are, constantly name dropping and telling fish tales that make themselves look awesome?

Mike Florio?

The Good Morning Football dorks?
😆 I am willing to bet that most of the people that post on this board have equal or better takes than those guys. I'm truly grateful for the dialogs on this board. It definitely helps me look at all prospective' on players and teams. Long time ago I wasted 30 minutes watching those guys. There are some good shows but not that one imo.

Ever known anyone who makes out like they're a bigger deal than they actually are, constantly name dropping and telling fish tales that make themselves look awesome?

Mike Florio?

The Good Morning Football dorks?
😆 I am willing to bet that most of the people that post on this board have equal or better takes than those guys. I'm truly grateful for the dialogs on this board. It definitely helps me look at all prospective' on players and teams. Long time ago I wasted 30 minutes watching those guys. There are some good shows but not that one imo.

That show is awful and those two guys are terrible. I can't stand seeing Schrager on anything.

I would hate to be on any of those shows. There’s only so much I could say before I would just be regurgitating same stuff.

@JeffRisdon’s understanding of the Jameson Williams betting incident is that he bet on a college football game from an app while in a hotel room in another state. Since it was a “team hotel,” it wasn’t allowed. How many players actually knew this wasn’t allowed? 10%?​

FWIW I don't consider Ris a credible source. Ever known anyone who makes out like they're a bigger deal than they actually are, constantly name dropping and telling fish tales that make themselves look awesome? He's that kind of guy, I'm an insider and you're not. But he's always worked for low level sites like RealGM, Bleacher Report, Lions Wire, rare to see anyone cite him....been credentialed for a long time but his takes make me think he's just a goofball. Just my opinion. I don't think anyone knows the details, Jamo and his team have consistently withheld details. I could be wrong of course, just my :2cents: , regardless the punishment seems like overkill for the misdeed.
The state of some NFL team’s online journalists is awful.

I see beat writers getting into arguments with @someguy09876543 all the time. Weird.

This is very positive news. Jamo's route running is something he needs alot of work on and getting stronger physically for those contested passes. I don't think he was ready physically and mentally last year from his injury.
I went back and googled his draft profiles from various places. He seems to have been viewed as a good route runner coming out of college.

I do think Calvin Johnson can help him find his way transitioning from college competition to NFL. I also think he can be a good influence as far as off the field, figuring out how to be an adult and navigate the challenges of being a young player who suddenly came into a ton of money.

This is very positive news. Jamo's route running is something he needs alot of work on and getting stronger physically for those contested passes. I don't think he was ready physically and mentally last year from his injury.
I went back and googled his draft profiles from various places. He seems to have been viewed as a good route runner coming out of college.

I do think Calvin Johnson can help him find his way transitioning from college competition to NFL. I also think he can be a good influence as far as off the field, figuring out how to be an adult and navigate the challenges of being a young player who suddenly came into a ton of money.
Awesome info. Thanks. I guess I'm looking at too many FF youtube. The last one I looked at said his route running was not that good last year. He did mention that it was a small sample size and that he looked tentative but that it may have been predicated coming off his injury.

If there was a knock on Jamo it was his strength and being able to get off the line of scrimmage. He is a very good route running and his stop and go moves are uncoverable. Goff requires a lot of precision though and Jamo will have to earn his trust that he will be exactly where Goff expects him. It may be week 10 before Jamo really takes off.

Liking him a lot as a 9th+ round pick or so. He could be the Mike Williams to Amon-Ra's Keenan Allen once he returns from suspension. A potential eventual WR2 at WR4/5 prices.

Detroit could be a very concentrated passing game, and while I think Goff is being slightly overrated, his WRs aren't.

I'm guessing it was him setting off some fireworks. His problem is posting everything he does on social media. I'm sure many other NFL players also set off fireworks but how many are putting it out there for everyone to see.

I'm guessing it was him setting off some fireworks. His problem is posting everything he does on social media. I'm sure many other NFL players also set off fireworks but how many are putting it out there for everyone to see.

Fans react to viral video of Jameson Williams lighting off fireworks
So does the firework not actually go off, or does the video just cut off? Either way, this one is silly. Only makes me wish I had him back slightly more.

Jameson Williams (leg) will miss time at Lions training camp.

Williams, due to serve a six-game suspension for violating the NFL’s gambling rules, suffered the injury on Monday and will miss at least a few days of training camp. The Lions’ best field stretcher if he can ever get on the field, we wouldn’t be surprised if the team is losing patience with their 2022 first round pick. He makes for a reasonable late-round dart throw in 12-team fantasy leagues if this leg injury is not serious.

4h ago

Source: Pro Football Talk

Ugh, what's next for this guy?!

Last edited:
Meh. Remember the rough start for Chase in meaningless preseason games 2 years ago?
I agree that it’s a long camp and preseason, no reason to panic. But it’s also not apples to apples to compare this to Chase. Jamo already has given us some reasons to be concerned.

Update: #Lions WR Jameson Williams threw a punch at teammate undrafted rookie CB Starling Thomas at practice, via @AryePull. iWilliams reportedly has struggled at practice today with multiple dropped passes. He let his frustration get the best of him after the Thomas forced an incomplete pass and started talked trash to him.Williams will start the season suspended for 6 games so he needs to make the most of these practice reps and it doesn't appear he's doing that right now.

A few splash plays in training camp and in preseason games will turn the performance narrative around quickly; however, the maturity and off field issues will likely linger for some time until he can demonstrate that they are no longer a concern.

He's awful,(sarcasm) not sure how often he can be all alone just outside the end zone but this is what the Lions' offense is capable of doing
You add in a new toy at RB, ARSB back to 100%, Goff entering Year 3 in this offense, I like the Lions a lot this year, better defense = short fields for the Lions' offense.
But he likely will go late if at all in most redrafts.

I really know how to pick them at WR in rookie drafts: TMJ (and trading for Bateman) two years ago and Jamo last year. Lucky for everyone I’m not planning on drafting a WR this year.

Update: #Lions WR Jameson Williams threw a punch at teammate undrafted rookie CB Starling Thomas at practice, via @AryePull. iWilliams reportedly has struggled at practice today with multiple dropped passes. He let his frustration get the best of him after the Thomas forced an incomplete pass and started talked trash to him.Williams will start the season suspended for 6 games so he needs to make the most of these practice reps and it doesn't appear he's doing that right now.

I am not worried about a punch in camp. That's a pretty normal occurrence. I am concerned about an UDFA rookie beating him in drills.

I am not worried about a punch in camp. That's a pretty normal occurrence. I am concerned about an UDFA rookie beating him in drills.

Starling Thomas V runs a 4.3 & bested Zay Flowers in Shrine Bowl drills. That you don’t give him respect bc no draft capital is irrelevant, mans making the team (4-phase STer to boot), he ain’t a bum.

Anyway, not a good day for Jamo. Tomorrow’s a new day.

Starling Thomas V runs a 4.3 & bested Zay Flowers in Shrine Bowl drills. That you don’t give him respect bc no draft capital is irrelevant, mans making the team (4-phase STer to boot), he ain’t a bum.

Well that’s good to hear. Glad he’s a Lion.

Well that’s good to hear. Glad he’s a Lion.

Def kind of sucks to hear him struggling. Was not on the same page with Jared last year (1 catch 9 targets), though you’d like to give him a pass wrt his redshirt season.

It’s just one day. But just for his own confidence I want to read reports of him stacking positive days on top of positive days. He’s under a lot of scrutiny and they don’t really have a Plan B. He has to step up.

From everything I’ve heard from his teammates, coaches, his father - dude should be fine. Hard worker, uber talented. But he doesn’t have a lot of slack, the expectations are he has step up and have have immediate meaningful production once he’s on the field. As his dad put it, “Jamo signed up for this. When you have his kind of talent, from the programs he came through, when the team invests that much - of course people are going to look at every little thing. Comes with the territory.”

Lions head coach Dan Campbell said Jameson Williams will be “doused” with preseason reps.
We’re pretty sure Campbell means that Williams — suspended for the season’s first six weeks after violating the league’s gambling policy — will get plenty of playing time in Detroit’s three preseason games. Campbell said “the more reps he gets, the more time on task, the more consecutive practices and reps he can put together, he’ll just grow — I really believe that.” Catching passes from Nate Sudfeld and Adrian Martinez likely won’t give fantasy drafters an idea of what the speedy Williams can do, but Campbell’s comments are noteworthy for those making preseason DFS lineups. Williams as reportedly made several long catches during Lions training camp practices this week.

Users who are viewing this thread