What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jerry Jeudy, CLE (3 Viewers)

I’m certainly no expert, but I thought his biggest attributes were quickness and route running. 
Yea not sure what the hubbub is about here or why anyone is surprised. Was talking with friend of mine back in December about who we liked more, him or Lamb, and we both cited Jeudy being slight of built as one of his negatives. And now people are surprised or thinking of it as a negative for him? I don't get it.

Yea not sure what the hubbub is about here or why anyone is surprised. Was talking with friend of mine back in December about who we liked more, him or Lamb, and we both cited Jeudy being slight of built as one of his negatives. And now people are surprised or thinking of it as a negative for him? I don't get it.
People are surprised because for most this is brand new information. Or at the worst, confirmation of something that was feared. 

I generally only glance player threads while they are still in college and rarely go back earlier than January when I start reading them.  I don’t watch college football, and like most, the Combine is when I really perk up and pay attention to the rookies. 

People are surprised because for most this is brand new information. Or at the worst, confirmation of something that was feared. 

I generally only glance player threads while they are still in college and rarely go back earlier than January when I start reading them.  I don’t watch college football, and like most, the Combine is when I really perk up and pay attention to the rookies. 
I guess, he just always looked lean to me.

Lamb being on the lean side was more of a surprise to me but that's probably because I got caught up in how physical he played.

My opinion of either of them did not change today but I would not be surprised if the opinion of Ruggs changed a little today for actual NFL teams. I'm not going to be surprised if he goes over one or both of them.

6'1 193... oof, that's worse than I thought it'd be...
It's about what was expected though.  I think he is fine.  In response to the people charting his BMI against past players, how many of those past players had early day 1 draft capital like Jeudy is likely to get?  How many have 4.3 speed like Jeudy will likely run in a few days?  They should also go back a little further to find Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss and Tim Brown.  They played in an era where BMI mattered a lot more because you had to take big hits to play WR. 

There isn't a good enough sample size to be judging players based on shape and size without losing a lot of context.  Even when there is there are always Charles Barkley types where shape just doesn't matter. 

Last edited by a moderator:
 They played in an era where BMI mattered a lot more because you had to take big hits to play WR. 
This is a very good point. Jeudy will still be bigger than most CBs and in today’s NFL I’m not sure weight matters as much as it once did (how many big hits will he take?)  - especially for a player with elite level speed.

you make some great points and could be absolutely right. Ultimately, for me, I need to see where everyone ends up to do final tweaks, but so far Jeudy is not my wr1. 

I said this in another thread, fantasy football is hard enough to win as it is, I dont want to make it worse on myself by counting on a guy to break trends. It's just the way I do things, and I'm good with missing on a few trend breakers. Jeudy isnt a guy I'm saying will bust, but hes a guy I'm not as excited about right now as clearly all of you are. In fact, I'm overall unimpressed with a lot of these wrs save 3-4. As far as Jeudy goes, people have built him up to be this Julio Jones generational talent, therefore questioning that at all gets a lot of backlash, I get it. 

Jeudy still may make it high on my list... If LV drafts him I may move him up pretty high. It all depends on how he may be used. A scout saying he is better served as a slot guy has me concerned. I remember several people in here using that same feedback as a major negative on 1 or 2 wrs last year
FWIW he isn't my number one either, but i have some concerns about Lamb as well.  He also doesn't seem like a Julio Jones type of guy.  What everyone forgets about generational talents though is that they combine elite physical traits with elite skills.  It would not be generational if it was not rare to have a Calvin Johnson style prospect.  It's the elite skills that are important.  Players with that kind of athletic talent come along frequently, but few of them have the skill and technique. 

I think Jeudy is the slot/flanker type of player who can do a lot of the things well, but isn't an athletic freak.  He's probably not Antonio Brown, but if he isn't as successful as his projected draft capital would assume, I don't think it will be because he wasn't big enough.  

I think the slot thing is coming up a lot because that's where he played a lot in school and didn't need to get off press very often. 

I'm still not sure Jeudy would need to be a trend breaker.  Who are the previous size comps with high draft capital?  It's only a handful of players so its hard to even say it's a trend IMO.  Rich man's Calvin Ridley would be a very good thing if he is that. 

Jeudy is Marqise Lee

6'0 192 almost exactly the same as Jeudy.  Except Lee had a better college dominator due to not being surrounded by NFL talent.  Jeudy is a better version, faster for sure, same type of role, same types of injuries will mount up.  I'm fading.  Still like him, just not highly.  

Jeudy is Marqise Lee

6'0 192 almost exactly the same as Jeudy.  Except Lee had a better college dominator due to not being surrounded by NFL talent.  Jeudy is a better version, faster for sure, same type of role, same types of injuries will mount up.  I'm fading.  Still like him, just not highly.  
Except Lee came into the league with a history of knee injuries.

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports USC WR Marqise Lee slipped out of the first round due to "red flags on his injured knee."

Lee played through a recurring knee injury last season for the Trojans, seeing his stock fall by the wayside after many projected him as a future top-ten or even top-five overall pick. Per Pauline, there were "whispers" Lee's condition was "worse than USC was letting on."
Another draftee that fell significantly is Marqise Lee. Several teams scared of his knee. Source I spoke with said "half the league is out."

Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy ran the 40-yard dash in an unofficial 4.46 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Jeudy (6'1/193) didn't light the field aflame ala fellow Bama wideout Henry Ruggs (4.28 seconds unofficially), but he was right on the money with his own run. A graceful receiver who makes just about everything look easy on the field, Jeudy has top-15 stock upside for April.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Feb 27, 2020, 9:44 PM ET

Jeudy is Marqise Lee

As to the bolded, you have no idea if that is true or not. Predicting injuries is a foolish endeavor.

An unnamed NFC WR coach told NFL Media's Bucky Brooks that he believes Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy can "make an immediate impact as a No. 1 receiver."

"I think he can come in and make an immediate impact as a No. 1 receiver, because he's polished and looks like he's capable of coming in and moving around. That's hard to find," the coach told Brooks when asked about Jeudy (6'1/193). The former Alabama standout is considered to be in the running for WR1 status in this year's draft, with Oklahoma's CeeDee Lamb and former teammate Henry Ruggs also in the conversation. Jeudy's ability as a route-runner, with the coach in question saying that he "can run every route in the book," gives him the edge in the eyes of some scouts.

Mar 2, 2020, 12:50 PM ET

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy to former New York Jets WR Santonio Holmes

Zierlein grades Jeudy (6'1/193) as a quality starter right out of the gate who "mixes tight, crisp route-running with impressive top-end speed to keep secondaries on eggshells throughout the game." Jeudy is projected as the premier wide receiver in the 2020 class, but Zierlein does mention that his "hands need work and contested catches will be much more challenging against bigger, faster matchups across from him." Expect Jeudy's name to be called in the top-half of the first round and likely in the top-10.

Mar 14, 2020, 12:26 PM ET

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper has Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy being selected by the San Francisco 49ers with the 13th pick.

Jeudy (6'1/193) drops out of the top-10 and even past the Raiders in Kiper's mock draft 3.0. His rationale is San Francisco just lot Emmanuel Sanders in free agency and Jeudy would solidify a young WR corps alongside Deebo Samuel and Kendrick Bourne. A masterful route tactician, Jeudy would make a sterling weapon for QB Jimmy Garoppolo and a San Fran offense that could use a playmaker. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Mar 24, 2020, 2:27 PM ET

Andy Dufresne said:
I know when I think "passing game" I think the New York Jets.
It would be nice to see how Darnold develops with a decent surrounding cast. I still think he has talent but fear he is stuck in football purgatory with that coach and organization. 

It would be nice to see how Darnold develops with a decent surrounding cast. I still think he has talent but fear he is stuck in football purgatory with that coach and organization. 
I like the player but really hate the situation and don't trust the organization at all. 

ESPN's Bill Connelly notes that Alabama junior WR Jerry Jeudy was better against zones than man-coverage.

Against zone-coverage, Jeudy (6'1/193) averaged 12.1 yards-per-attempt. When he was targeted against man-to-man defenses, the star wideout averaged only 5.5 yards. "Jeudy was primarily a safe, quick, bailout option against man in 2019, while his batterymates did most of the heavy damage," writes Connelly. "Was this simply a strategic adjustment, almost using Jeudy as a decoy? Was he struggling to beat better corners?" The analyst also notes that things were close to even in his YPT versus both schemes before the LSU game, and then the numbers fell off drastically after. While Jeudy saw his draft stock tumble a bit -- let's remember there were some who thought he was the best player in the class -- he's still assuredly going in the first-round in 2020. This is just one of the things teams will have to look at before making the selection. 

Apr 5, 2020, 6:20 PM ET

The article you posted in the 2020 Draft thread about being in the slot vs. being outside at WR helps to explain this. The article explains that slot players are quicker and sit down better in zones because that's what they're reading on the field and are naturally inclined to be better at reading zones at due to their positioning and skill set. He talks about small, quick bodies and feet and from whence they start. That might explain the disparity away. That said, I'm hopefully staying far away from Jeudy in the first. Too many questions. Thanks, Faust. These are really helpful articles and blurbs.

The article you posted in the 2020 Draft thread about being in the slot vs. being outside at WR helps to explain this. The article explains that slot players are quicker and sit down better in zones because that's what they're reading on the field and are naturally inclined to be better at reading zones at due to their positioning and skill set. He talks about small, quick bodies and feet and from whence they start. That might explain the disparity away. That said, I'm hopefully staying far away from Jeudy in the first. Too many questions. Thanks, Faust. These are really helpful articles and blurbs.
I recently (within the last week) read an article support this, the article supported the idea as to why Ruggs will make a better Pro than Jeudy. I've tried to find it, there's only about four sites I visit so I'm not sure why it's hard to find. I'll try again tomorrow some time after I get some sleep but I just can't find that article to save my life and I just read it. ARG!!

Tex

Some numbers vs. man coverage....

NFL Beat Writers Retweeted

Mike Renner

@PFF_Mike

Notable yards per route #s vs man in WR class Jerry Jeudy 3.14 Denzel Mims 2.86 K.J. Hill 2.65 Tyler Johnson 2.62 Brandon Aiyuk 2.51 Jalen Reagor 2.43 Ceedee Lamb 2.38 Isaiah Hodgins 2.34 Michael Pittman Jr. 2.26 Justin Jefferson 2.02 Bryan Edwards 1.36 Henry Ruggs III 1.08

Mike Renner

@PFF_Mike

Yards per route vs. man coverage leaders for WR class over past two seasons: 1. Laviska Shenault Jr. 4.98 2. Tee Higgins 4.25 3. Easop Winston Jr. 3.75 4. Jauan Jennings 3.52 5. K.J. Hamler 3.43

Pro Football Network's Brad Kelly writes that Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy would be the "ideal (receiving) target" for the 49ers with the No. 13 overall pick.

Kelly writes that Jeudy's "nuanced route-running and double moves would fit well in Kyle Shanahan’s heavy play-action offense." There seems to be some momentum toward a possible marriage, here, with two plugged-in evaluators (Tony Pauline and Mel Kiper) recently mocking Jeudy to the 49ers. We might see a little run on receivers in the early teens on Day 1 with both the 49ers and Raiders potentially on that train.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Apr 10, 2020, 3:33 PM ET

Shannon Sharpe basically had an orgasm to this kid yesterday, and gave him a jerry rice comp.

said he's the most "techincally gifted WR ive seen in a long time. he's the real deal. he's beyond advanced at route running"

I am surprised this has quite literally gotten no attention. I'd expect more from a guy who "knows how to set up corners with his feet and hips"

I like guys who are really good route runners. Jeudy is king at that for this class. But this concerns me. 

Is he like Ruggs and cant handle the press coverage? Is the recipe for neutralizing him as simple as cover him man to man?

He isnt a physical specimen, so I expect him to see and struggle with pres coverage 
https://twitter.com/PFF_Mike/status/1247564936890535937

I am surprised this has quite literally gotten no attention. I'd expect more from a guy who "knows how to set up corners with his feet and hips"

I like guys who are really good route runners. Jeudy is king at that for this class. But this concerns me. 

Is he like Ruggs and cant handle the press coverage? Is the recipe for neutralizing him as simple as cover him man to man?

He isnt a physical specimen, so I expect him to see and struggle with pres coverage 
Ugh....I think the only solution is to trade my picks so I dont lose my mind over who to take. 

Ugh....I think the only solution is to trade my picks so I dont lose my mind over who to take. 
We are at the point of over-analyzing...I believe it was right around this time last year where some stat-guys turned David Montgomery into the next Jerome Bettis.

Apples and oranges. 

The quote I referenced was looking at average yards per target

Your link shows yards per route. 

These are two completely different metrics. He might have been running the most yards per route, but those are including routes he got zero targets, which means it can be inflated by being a decoy or second/third option on that play. 
What's the real difference between yards per route run vs yards per target? Whether the quarterback throws the guy the ball. We can debate the importance of either one or offer explanations all day, but it's complete speculation either way. Without seeing all the data for each Alabama pass catcher, not to mention all the other incoming WRs, nobody can develope a reasonable conclusion with these numbers.

Yes, I acknowledged that in the post above yours, we cant conclude anything on that 5 yards per route when we dont know what good or bad is. YPT takes out YAC, if I'm understanding correctly. IMO it's something that could indicate a WR is a better route runner vs YAC. I'd expect Jeudy to be higher than Lamb, for example. 
I’ve always knows YPT to simply be receiving yards divided by targets. Inclusive of YAC.

Users who are viewing this thread