What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (8 Viewers)

Wrote this today

The combination of Chudzinski and Turner’s aggressive downfield offense with Josh Gordon’s elite skills makes Gordon the best wide receiver sleeper in redraft for 2013. Ryan stated Weeden is a gunslinger. You have to simply accept that and put him in a position to do what he did at Oklahoma State: survey the defense, preferably from the shotgun, and hit the open guy. When he gets into a rhythm, Weeden is a gifted and dangerous thrower of the football. He had numerous “wow” throws mixed into his rookie mediocrity. None of this “turn your back to the defense while play-faking and counting your steps, go through four reads and maybe throw a flare out” nonsense. Get out there and sling it. We’re trying to score touchdowns here.” This new perspective and offensive attitude is going to do nothing but improve Gordon’s fantasy profile. Gordon stated about the new offense that ““The new offense is great. For wide receivers, it’s the best offense you can really play for, I believe. With Norv’s offense, we watch all the old Cowboys’ vintage films. You can pretty much get lost and see yourself in the play. Working with Norv and Chud, I couldn’t ask for anything more.” Ryan writes of GordonJosh Gordon walked onto an NFL field last year having not played college ball since 2010, out of shape, devoid of technique, obviously clueless and without much of a role for the first quarter of the season and yet finished with a nice little 50/805/5 line on a team with poor scheming, a rookie quarterback and no established receiving threat. As a 21-year old. At times, he looked lost. At other times, he looked like if he figures it out there isn’t a corner alive who will be able to do a damn thing with him. Gordon has immense, top-5 WR type physical ability and a devastating deep threat.”

The immediate production points to Gordon having a very high ceiling. Take a look at Gordon’s next season comparables, originally calculated by Frank Dupont.

(PM me for table)

The next season averages projected by the Similarity Score apps equate to a full season of 65 catches, 950 yards and 7 touchdowns. Those 137 points would have made him WR23 in 2012. Those numbers strike me as incredibly conservative, however. Gordon received 16% of the teams targets in 2012, but that number is likely due to rise significantly in 2013; he is just so much more talented than Little, Cameron, Davone Bess and Travis Benjamin. If the Browns attempt 600 passes and Gordon increases his market share of targets to 20%, that will mean 120 targets. Likely, many of those will be high value, downfield targets which is what Gordon specializes in. Per PFF, on 8 catchable deep targets, Gordon caught 6 for 259 yards and 4 touchdowns. Under Norv Turner, Vincent Jackson had a similar skill set to Gordon and averaged 998 yards and 7 touchdowns in all his complete years as a starter. The top wide receiver in Chudzinski’s offenses averaged 1,182.5 yards and 7.5 touchdowns. Clearly, the top pass catcher in this offense is going to be a fantasy commodity. At an ADP of WR32, the fantasy floor created by Gordon’s comparables, physical measurables and historical data of Norv Turner and Rob Chudsinski offenses makes Gordon a steal at the wide receiver position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrote this today

The combination of Chudzinski and Turner’s aggressive downfield offense with Josh Gordon’s elite skills makes Gordon the best wide receiver sleeper in redraft for 2013. Ryan stated Weeden is a gunslinger. You have to simply accept that and put him in a position to do what he did at Oklahoma State: survey the defense, preferably from the shotgun, and hit the open guy. When he gets into a rhythm, Weeden is a gifted and dangerous thrower of the football. He had numerous “wow” throws mixed into his rookie mediocrity. None of this “turn your back to the defense while play-faking and counting your steps, go through four reads and maybe throw a flare out” nonsense. Get out there and sling it. We’re trying to score touchdowns here.” This new perspective and offensive attitude is going to do nothing but improve Gordon’s fantasy profile. Gordon stated about the new offense that ““The new offense is great. For wide receivers, it’s the best offense you can really play for, I believe. With Norv’s offense, we watch all the old Cowboys’ vintage films. You can pretty much get lost and see yourself in the play. Working with Norv and Chud, I couldn’t ask for anything more.” Ryan writes of GordonJosh Gordon walked onto an NFL field last year having not played college ball since 2010, out of shape, devoid of technique, obviously clueless and without much of a role for the first quarter of the season and yet finished with a nice little 50/805/5 line on a team with poor scheming, a rookie quarterback and no established receiving threat. As a 21-year old. At times, he looked lost. At other times, he looked like if he figures it out there isn’t a corner alive who will be able to do a damn thing with him. Gordon has immense, top-5 WR type physical ability and a devastating deep threat.”

The immediate production points to Gordon having a very high ceiling. Take a look at Gordon’s next season comparables, originally calculated by Frank Dupont.

(PM me for table)

The next season averages projected by the Similarity Score apps equate to a full season of 65 catches, 950 yards and 7 touchdowns. Those 137 points would have made him WR23 in 2012. Those numbers strike me as incredibly conservative, however. Gordon received 16% of the teams targets in 2012, but that number is likely due to rise significantly in 2013; he is just so much more talented than Little, Cameron, Davone Bess and Travis Benjamin. If the Browns attempt 600 passes and Gordon increases his market share of targets to 20%, that will mean 120 targets. Likely, many of those will be high value, downfield targets which is what Gordon specializes in. Per PFF, on 8 catchable deep targets, Gordon caught 6 for 259 yards and 4 touchdowns. Under Norv Turner, Vincent Jackson had a similar skill set to Gordon and averaged 998 yards and 7 touchdowns in all his complete years as a starter. The top wide receiver in Chudzinski’s offenses averaged 1,182.5 yards and 7.5 touchdowns. Clearly, the top pass catcher in this offense is going to be a fantasy commodity. At an ADP of WR32, the fantasy floor created by Gordon’s comparables, physical measurables and historical data of Norv Turner and Rob Chudsinski offenses makes Gordon a steal at the wide receiver position.
What makes you think they want Weeden to throw that much? They already threw 170 more times than they ran last year and I imagine they'd prefer to run the ball more.

cstu said:
Lavachebeadsman said:
Wrote this today

(PM me for table)

What makes you think they want Weeden to throw that much? They already threw 170 more times than they ran last year and I imagine they'd prefer to run the ball more.
Chudzinski and Turner offenses both rely on passing the ball. Even if the attempts don't increase, I expect Gordon to command a larger market share of the targets.

cstu said:
Lavachebeadsman said:
Wrote this today

(PM me for table)

While Richardson is a fantastic talent, you have to think that most defenses are going to stop the run first every time. If the Browns are going to have success, they cannot hide their QB.

J Gordon or Justin Blacklabel for dynasty? Interested to get some answers.....
Gordon by a mile.
I agree, but I'm biased as Gordon is on my roster. Why do you (and others) feel this way?
I rostered Gordon last year, so naturally I am excited aobut his potential.

But setting aside my inclinaiton for bias towards Gordon, let's face it: Gordon is precisely the kind of diamon in the rough that makes dynasty owners giddy. But if you look at Gordon objectively, he is still very raw. It's not that Gordon is already better than Blackmon. It's that he has the measurables to be a fantastic WR.

J Gordon or Justin Blacklabel for dynasty? Interested to get some answers.....
Gordon by a mile.
I agree, but I'm biased as Gordon is on my roster. Why do you (and others) feel this way?
I rostered Gordon last year, so naturally I am excited aobut his potential.

But setting aside my inclinaiton for bias towards Gordon, let's face it: Gordon is precisely the kind of diamon in the rough that makes dynasty owners giddy. But if you look at Gordon objectively, he is still very raw. It's not that Gordon is already better than Blackmon. It's that he has the measurables to be a fantastic WR.
Gordon has Andre Johnson potential and Blackmon has Nicks potential. I believe Gordon is much rawer than people think but his upside is higher, especially if the Browns upgrade at QB.

Rotoworld:

Browns OC Norval Turner calls Josh Gordon "an impressive guy."
"He has a lot of work to do, but he’s got a lot of ability," Turner said of his second-year receiver. "If you put those two things together and you just grind, as a player and a coach, I think he can be a really fine player." Gordon coasted to a 50/805/5 line as a rookie despite sitting out the entire 2011 season at Utah. He has nowhere to go but up in Turner's vertically-minded offense. Gordon is a legit threat for WR2 value this season.

Source: clevelandbrowns.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000206556/article/josh-gordon-cleveland-browns-air-show-will-shock-nfl

Josh Gordon: Cleveland Browns' air show will shock NFL

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

The Cleveland Browns were a slow-motion car wreck on offense last season, but new coach Rob Chudzinski has promised to flip the script with a wide-open passing game.

Josh Gordon already has seen a difference.

"Defenses will be shocked to say the least with how much we're running downfield," the wide receiver said, per the Akron Beacon Journal. "I've never ran this much as a wide receiver ever in my life, and that's a good thing. And not just me, everyone from the slot guys to running backs, everyone's got passing plays in the system."

We mentioned the Browns this week as one of five teams set for wholesale changes on offense. Coordinator Norv Turner prefers an aggressive passing attack that challenges defenses with deep strikes downfield, which certainly sounds unlike anything we've seen out of Cleveland in recent days.

The pressing question comes at quarterback, where second-year starter Brandon Weeden struggled to make a difference last season. Weeden obviously is a better fit for a shotgun-oriented attack than last year's precision-based West Coast outfit. Still, without better decision-making, it won't matter what Weeden's receivers are doing.

Gordon's promising rookie season is a source of optimism. So is one of the NFL's better offensive lines. And it doesn't hurt that Cleveland has committed to replacing a predictable, sleep-inducing scheme with an attack-style offense, but until we see production from under center, it's all talk.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

My three keepers this year in a league of 16 teams: Cam Newton, Julio Jones, Josh "Flash" Gordon

Picked him up last year for $2 as a free agent just after the auction draft ended and two weeks prior to the start of the regular season. Will enjoy the ride as we can pick any 3 keepers from our roster of 15 each year and no limits on how long you can keep a player.

Ya baby!

I've always associated Norv Turner with a top end RB for fantasy purposes. What's his track record with WRs?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...n-cleveland-browns-offense-poised-to-surprise

Brandon Weeden, Cleveland Browns' offense poised to surprise

Josh Gordon Excerpt:

Gordon, a second-year pro from Baylor, showed glimpses of immense talent and potential in 2012, finishing with 50 receptions for 805 yards and five touchdowns. Most impressively, he averaged 16.1 yards per catch and amassed 12 receptions of 20-plus yards. Those are strong numbers for a rookie wideout, particularly one who joined the team relatively late following his selection in the supplemental draft last July.

Looking at the tape, I believe Gordon is an explosive athlete with sneaky speed and acceleration -- an excellent deep-ball playmaker with a knack for sneaking past defenders on vertical routes. Although he still needs to refine his route-running skills, he is such a talented athlete that he consistently finds a way to create separation. Considering the additional repetitions and tutelage he'll get in offseason workouts, I expect that Gordon could develop into a solid No. 1 receiver in Cleveland.

Gordon's long-term future is in question
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Josh Gordon's two-game suspension is minor when you consider the consequences of the Cleveland Browns wide receiver's next mistake.

According to The Plain Dealer, Gordon faces a one-year banishment from the NFL if he fails another drug test. This means the Browns have to re-evaluate the long-term future of Gordon, and as a result, their entire wide receiver position.No one is suggesting that the Browns cut ties with Gordon. They just can't build their passing attack around Gordon in 2014 and beyond. They can no longer trust Gordon will stay out of trouble, especially when you're dealing with such a severe penalty. They can't go into next season thinking Gordon will be catching 60-yard touchdowns because his history suggests that's too much of a gamble.Considered one of the league's top breakout candidates for this season, Gordon is the only receiver on the Browns who can consistently strike fear into defenses. Greg Little is a solid No. 2 receiver. Davone Bess will come up big on third downs and as a leader in the locker room. Travis Benjamin can stretch the field but he's too light to be more than a situational player.For two games this season, the Browns can make up for Gordon's absence by moving Bess into the starting lineup and by throwing deep to Benjamin on occasions. If Gordon is gone for 16 games, the Browns can chalk up another double-digit loss season with a wide receiver group of Little, Bess, Benjamin and David Nelson.The Browns has the means to upgrade their wide receivers next offseason. Cleveland will once again have sizable salary-cap room to go along with 10 draft picks. The Browns picked up additional picks in the third and fourth rounds with trades in this year's draft. Of course, if Weeden doesn't establish himself this year, quarterback becomes a bigger need than receiver but that's a topic for another time.Some may think this is an overreaction. If you believe Gordon, his latest failed drug test was the result of cough syrup prescribed for strep throat. The problem is, the NFL only suspends players on their second violation. So, Gordon failed another drug test in addition to the latest one. The Browns can't feel confident that Gordon will correct his ways when you consider his two failed tests in the NFL and his three failed marijuana tests in college.To be honest, I'm not sure if the Browns' new regime has ever been sold on Gordon. It was president Mike Holmgren and general manager Tom Heckert who rolled the dice by taking Gordon in the second round of last year's supplemental draft. Given the state of the Browns' receiving group, you couldn't knock them for taking a chance on a target with so much potential.But chief executive officer Joe Banner has repeatedly been hesitant when asked if the drafting of Gordon was the right move."A top-of-the-second-round pick on a wide receiver, you would hope by the second or third year you'd have a big, big impact player," Banner said at the NFL combine in February. "I think he still has improvements [he] could make and there's hope that he can do that. He's still got to grow and work hard in order to answer that question."Gordon is 22, with the size (6 feet 3) and playmaking ability (average of 16.1 yards per catch) that teams covet. Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden said Gordon "has the ability to be a top-three receiver in the NFL." One NFL executive once said Gordon has "Randy Moss-like talents."But, knowing that his next mistake (accident or not) can put him on the sidelines for a year, the risk outweighs the reward if you make Gordon part of your long-term plans.

Josh Gordon reportedly running with the wrong crowdBy Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon "sincerely" apologized for his suspension earlier this month, but the two-game ban apparently has not served as a wake-up call.

A source told ESPNCleveland.com's Tony Grossi that Gordon has been partying in South Beach, running with a "different crowd" and being "influenced by the wrong people" since the end of the 2012 NFL season.

Gordon has also displayed immaturity and poor judgment in waging a Twitter war with Cleveland fans over his support for LeBron James and the Miami Heat during the NBA playoffs.

Gordon's bumpy offseason led Terry Pluto of The Plain Dealer to reveal that Browns executives had told him they were concerned about the "entitlement mentality" of some of their players.

Part of the problem is that the game comes too easily for Gordon, who possesses a legit No. 1 wide receiver skill set. Last year's coaching staff was less than thrilled with Gordon's lackadaisical approach in training camp, and CEO Joe Banner called Gordon out in March.

Former Denver Broncos tight end Nate Jackson once estimated that there were 100,000 people in the world who are physically talented enough to play football in the NFL, but most don't have what it takes mentally. Even the gifted players wash out of the league if the light never flips on. Gordon's case has an extra layer of intrigue because the Browns' new vice president of player personnel Mike Lombardi labeled him a "waste" of a supplemental draft pick last summer.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

It's fascinating to me that Gordon clearly has a chance at big money and stardom, and yet is so cavalier about these matters. Just goes to show you how young and immature some of these players really are.

Is the "twitter war" over his support for LBJ really a big deal? Unless he deleted some tweets, I don't see anything that was that bad? I don't see any tweets from Josh Gordon that are directly responding to other people. I understand this IS Cleveland we are talking about, but just because he plays in Cleveland doesn't mean he can't support the Heat. The way i see it, he is just supporting his team (even if he might be a bandwagon heat fan, or maybe he has always been a heat fan).

Is the "twitter war" over his support for LBJ really a big deal? Unless he deleted some tweets, I don't see anything that was that bad? I don't see any tweets from Josh Gordon that are directly responding to other people. I understand this IS Cleveland we are talking about, but just because he plays in Cleveland doesn't mean he can't support the Heat. The way i see it, he is just supporting his team (even if he might be a bandwagon heat fan, or maybe he has always been a heat fan).
You are clearly not a Clevelander.

And just because people are "young and immature" doesnt mean they also have to be real stupid. Naive is acceptable, but actively stupid is something different.

And just because people are "young and immature" doesnt mean they also have to be real stupid. Naive is acceptable, but actively stupid is something different.
I'm thankful I'm not.

I agree he has hasn't made the best decisions and he comes off as immature, but I just don't see anything recently in his twitter feed that is THAT bad. I would bet he isn't the only Heat supporter in the Browns locker room...

I'm thankful I'm not.

I agree he has hasn't made the best decisions and he comes off as immature, but I just don't see anything recently in his twitter feed that is THAT bad. I would bet he isn't the only Heat supporter in the Browns locker room...
Actually Greg little was at the same party, but since he wasn't so brazen about it, nobody cares.

I'm thankful I'm not.

it has nothing to do with what he said being bad. As I was saying, you clearly are not a clevelander.

I guarantee you he isnt the only Heat supporter in the locker room. However, he is the only one spewing out on twitter about it.

It's really not a big deal.. provided he goes out on Sundays and produces. That's the real issue. He needs to stay on the field and stop making bad decisions. It will happen at some point, but it might get a little bumpy for a couple years.

It's really not a big deal.. provided he goes out on Sundays and produces. That's the real issue. He needs to stay on the field and stop making bad decisions. It will happen at some point, but it might get a little bumpy for a couple years.
I agree. It's only a big deal until people quickly forget, which will be soon.

Problem is, he isnt exactly winning us fans over at the moment even before this.

amnesiac said:
most Clevelanders i know would gladly wear a Heat hat if it meant the Browns would make the playoffs.
Of course, but the Browns have still won nothing and Gordon only one year into his career is one strike away from a year long suspension. At this time it's idiotic to be throwing this Lebron stuff into Cleveland's face.

Josh Gordon: 'My priorities are definitely in order'

By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

Josh Gordon has the ability to be a Pro Bowl wide receiver for the Cleveland Browns.

That won't happen if he's not on the field, of course. Gordon took himself out of action for two games (and lost four game checks) for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

On Monday, Gordon addressed his suspension publicly for the first time.

"My priorities are definitely in order, definitely in line," Gordon said from Browns camp, according to the Akron Beacon Journal. "I still got a job to come out here and do every day. I've got to be accountable and be a grown man, help provide for me and my family. So I do definitely have my priorities in order."

Reiterating his explanation in a June statement, Gordon said he tested positive for the banned substance codeine due to medication he was taking for strep throat. Asked Monday if he had a substance-abuse problem, Gordon replied, "It wasn't recreational use."

Gordon failed three marijuana tests in college during his time with Baylor and Utah. The Browns took a chance, selecting him in the second round of last year's supplemental draft.

"It's something that's in the past," Gordon said. "It's still going to gloom over me for a long time. But I've still got a long way to go, a lot to prove to the fans here, to the people here. It's just another obstacle in my way of getting there."

Gordon was everything the Browns could have asked for as a rookie, as he was the team's leading receiving. They can only hope Gordon will back up Monday's words with his actions.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

Rotoworld:

Browns captain D'Qwell Jackson said suspended WR Josh Gordon "doesn't have that many lives left."
Gordon tested positive for marijuana three times in college and will sit out the first two games of this season after testing positive for codeine. "He's got one more time to really straighten things up before he's got to leave," Jackson said. "I think he is starting to realize that." If Gordon violates the substance abuse policy again, he'll be facing a one-year ban.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Rotoworld:

Browns captain D'Qwell Jackson said suspended WR Josh Gordon "doesn't have that many lives left."
Gordon tested positive for marijuana three times in college and will sit out the first two games of this season after testing positive for codeine. "He's got one more time to really straighten things up before he's got to leave," Jackson said. "I think he is starting to realize that." If Gordon violates the substance abuse policy again, he'll be facing a one-year ban.

Tick......tick.......tick......

In three years he will be a forgotten name.

Rotoworld:

Browns CEO Joe Banner suggested that suspended WR Josh Gordon has had on-field issues in addition to his off-field woes.
The supremely talented Gordon didn't have any issues between the lines as a rookie, leading the Browns in yards (805) and receiving touchdowns (5). He reportedly did a lot of partying this offseason, and the Browns' brass appears to have taken notice. They're not sweeping Gordon's two-game ban under the rug. "He understands he's going to be held accountable, and he gets the rope that's left isn't long," Banner said. "In working with the coaches they need to see that commitment, that work ethic." We're confident Gordon will get the wakeup call and come flying out of the gate in Week 3.

Source: Akron Beacon-Journal

His only on field issue last year was a rookie QB.

Off the field is a totally different story.

Really hope he gets it together, he's got all the physical makeup to be a force in the NFL.

Rotoworld:

Browns CEO Joe Banner suggested that suspended WR Josh Gordon has had on-field issues in addition to his off-field woes.
The supremely talented Gordon didn't have any issues between the lines as a rookie, leading the Browns in yards (805) and receiving touchdowns (5). He reportedly did a lot of partying this offseason, and the Browns' brass appears to have taken notice. They're not sweeping Gordon's two-game ban under the rug. "He understands he's going to be held accountable, and he gets the rope that's left isn't long," Banner said. "In working with the coaches they need to see that commitment, that work ethic." We're confident Gordon will get the wakeup call and come flying out of the gate in Week 3.

huh? am I misreading that? The title is completely misleading and contradicted by the first sentence.

Rotoworld:

huh? am I misreading that? The title is completely misleading and contradicted by the first sentence.
The commentary in blue comes directly from the opinion of the writers at Rotoworld, and they often have a very biased take on players that they either like or don't like. The key with anything from Rotoworld is to click on the related link and read the full article, IMHO.

Rotoworld:

The commentary in blue comes directly from the opinion of the writers at Rotoworld, and they often have a very biased take on players that they either like or don't like. The key with anything from Rotoworld is to click on the related link and read the full article, IMHO.
thx Faust.

Josh 'FLASH' Gordon is late for his very first meeting with the new coaching staff.

Er, that from a tweet from fifty minutes ago.

MF Jones‏@CONCEDE59m

"Flash just walked in and asked if meetings were at 9:05...... Yeah Flash you're late asking at 9:13. " Not a great start #Browns

Josh 'FLASH' Gordon is late for his very first meeting with the new coaching staff.

Er, that from a tweet from fifty minutes ago.

MF Jones‏@CONCEDE59m

"Flash just walked in and asked if meetings were at 9:05...... Yeah Flash you're late asking at 9:13. " Not a great start #Browns
LOL....nice step one at redemption. I could see him getting cut before he has a chance to be suspended.

Rotoworld:

Tick......tick.......tick......In three years he will be a forgotten name.
Because of weed ? Please. If you don't like his talent, fine. But as long as he can play he will have a job. Getting run out of Cleveland could be a boost for him all things considered.

Making the Leap, No. 8: Browns WR Josh Gordon

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

(click on the linked article to see the related video clips)

Around The League will profile the top 40 players we see Making the Leap in 2013. No. 8 on the list: Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon

Why Gordon is on the list
It's been eons since the Browns had an air attack of note. Wedged deep in Cleveland's collective memory, Bernie Kosar's sidearm ropes to Webster Slaughter still linger, but there's been little to cheer about since.

The star-crossed Browns finally might be on to something with Josh Gordon, the organization's first genuine deep threat in decades.

Snatched up in last year's supplemental draft, Gordon's raw skills popped off the screen as a rookie.

A rangy, 6-foot-4 burner with 4.52 speed, Gordon can be mistaken for a one-trick pony: a deep threat and nothing else. But after watching his tape from last season, I'd argue Gordon has the tools to be a multidimensional, every-down receiver. Without the benefit of a full training camp in 2012 -- and saddled by Pat Shurmur's clunky offensive scheme -- Gordon still led the Browns in receiving yards (805), touchdowns (5), first downs (40) and targets (96).

Game after game, Gordon's soft hands were on display. His one-handed grab against the Cincinnati Bengals in Week 6 recall the words of poet John Keats, who wrote: "A thing of beauty is a joy forever."

The highlights came almost immediately for Gordon. Just five weeks into his NFL career, Gordon smoked the Giants for two scores, including this electric 62-yard bomb from Brandon Weeden.

Obstacles
The positives on tape are obvious, but away from the field, Gordon is trailed by dark clouds.

In June, the NFL slapped him with a two-game suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. Gordon claims he was nipped for taking cough medicine containing codeine for strep throat, but the upshot is unchanged: In Stage 3 of the NFL's drug program, Gordon is one false step away from a one-year ban.

After his aborted college career was soiled by three failed marijuana tests, Gordon's troubled early run in the NFL led Browns CEO Joe Banner to acknowledge: "(Gordon) understands he's going to be held accountable, and he gets (that) the rope that's left isn't long."

SiriusXM NFL Radio's Adam Caplan tweeted that the Browns "have been privately very concerned with Gordon for months, so (his suspension) hardly comes as a surprise."

Pouring salt on the wound, Gordon did himself no favors with a summertime jaunt in South Beach. The 22-year-old spent the offseason reportedly running with a "different crowd" and tweeting with glee as LeBron James and the Miami Heat salted away another NBA title. This, predictably, played poorly with an edgy Cleveland populace.

Well-respected Browns captain D'Qwell Jackson said this week that Gordon "doesn't have that many lives left."

2013 expectations
If Gordon can grow up and focus on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, he has the chance to become a household name.

He finds himself in a Norv Turner-led offense that prizes field-stretching receivers and should only magnify Gordon's gifts. At his best, Gordon lifted Weeden's play last season, developing at times an effortless chemistry with the strong-armed quarterback.

The sky's the limit, but Gordon alone is responsible for where he winds up.

And that might be the problem.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

KFFL / MFL wrote:Cleveland Browns WR Josh Gordon (knee) was scolded during practice Monday, July 29, for not finishing plays or running after the catch. Gordon is battling patellar tendinitis, and perhaps was favoring his leg. However, he also has reportedly been the last receiver into position drills, and he has yet to work with QB Brandon Weeden and QB Greg Little after practice, despite the fact that Little and Weeden have worked on routes after every single session so far.

Users who are viewing this thread