What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (4 Viewers)

He'll be healthy soon enough. Old JG definitely takes that to the house, and new JG will too. 

Week by week I'm more and more impressed. Fantasy wise not great that he isn't the centerpiece, but he will be. It's coming. BB knkws he doesn't have to force it. Easily unbeaten since he arrived
I almost guarantee it, if he stays on the field and just rehabs properly. 

I hope he does. I really include him in my thoughts at times. Among others. Such a transcendent talent. 

Enough of that. It's only Thursday. Let's go.  

So the question of the day is, who is starting him this week against Buffalo? Tough matchup according to the stats (Bills are ranked 3rd toughest against the pass so far). At the moment I have him in over Doug Baldwin.

So the question of the day is, who is starting him this week against Buffalo? Tough matchup according to the stats (Bills are ranked 3rd toughest against the pass so far). At the moment I have him in over Doug Baldwin.
I've got him in easily over Baldwin, but Baldwin kills me when I put him on the bench, so there's that. It's Detroit on turf, but who knows how healthy Baldwin is, either?  That's the rub there. 

Due to BYE currently starting him over Goodwin, Calloway, T.Smith, and Sutton. Not a tough decision. Other weeks he is consideration at FLEX with Chubb & Lindsay, so probably on the bench. 

Question of the day is how do the Pats perform historically against the Bills (26-3 last 29 games and usually score 30+) and what have the Bills done to change any of that... ?

Guessing 37 - 10 when all said and done.  This isn't going to be close.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely.

Somewhat due to the fact that I don't have Baldwin but mostly because I believe in Gordon's opportunities in NE.
Gotcha, mang. I love 60+ snaps in NE, too. I just think Doug's got a floor blanket this week with Russell.  

Here is film on the catches.  It didn't look that way to me.  On the 55 yard play, it looked like he ran over the first guy and then just got caught around the 5.  I think he ran out of gas a little bit, but I did not think he pulled up lame at all.  At least that is my opinion.  Film is below. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyQUOdoXDC8

ETA - watched it several times over.  At the 15 yard line, he may have pulled up with something on his right side.  It is very hard to tell.  He may also have just been gassed.  He was definitely trying to use his body to push a little extra out.  
More happy about Brady going to him on 4th down. The kind of back shoulder throw was nice too. Brady talking about the trust must not be b.s.

If the defense is playing man, they used to mostly go to Gronk. Maybe that changes since they have another guy to win one-on-one down field.

I will be here to tell you I told you so when it hits the fan.  Good luck with your fantasies, and more realistically, with the fantasy mediocrity you get from your fantasy savior.

5/63 0TDs this week. 
Predicting mediocrity is a chump move because you'll be correct more often than not. Calling a simple coin flip would warrant more bragging rights. 

LittlePhatty said:
Playing WR3 roulette at the moment with him, Baldwin, and Golladay.  Where it stops nobody knows...

Gordon has been with the Patriots for only 4 weeks.

After getting used to things for two weeks and playing only 36 snaps, he's put up 9 catches for about 140 yards the last two weeks while playing about 90% of the snaps. That's a 72-1120 pace, and again, he's just now reaching the one MONTH point in a new, complex offense. Also drew a long pass interference call in the end zone and was tackled at the one yard line on another catch. Think he's got even more room to improve as he learns more and Brady trusts him more? I do. Brady is already giving him chances to make plays, and I only expect those chances to grow.  

I get it, some people have been so adamant that he'll suck or blow up that they're obligated to continue saying it. But you have to be dumb or blind not to see what direction his arrow is pointing right now.

No, that's not entirely true. Two years without any drug problems and showing plenty of skill on the field is more than enough for me to see a huge change in him.

If you're expecting him to relapse, that's fine. He didn't have any issues last year at all and was reinstated because of it, and he hasn't had any issues this year either. It's been WELL over a year, probably closer to two years since he's had any off-the-field problems, and on the field the guy still looks like a star.  So, keep fighting the good fight on it - the only way he won't be a very good WR is if his addiction problems resurface, and while that's always a possibility, it's becoming further and further behind him. I don't doubt for a second that the atmosphere, structure, and the leadership in New England is also having a positive effect on him... I can't see a way that it wouldn't.,

He may not be a 10 or 12 target per game guy, but he can be a star with even 8 targets per game.

Soulfly3 said:
He'll be healthy soon enough. Old JG definitely takes that to the house, and new JG will too. 

Week by week I'm more and more impressed. Fantasy wise not great that he isn't the centerpiece, but he will be. It's coming. BB knkws he doesn't have to force it. Easily unbeaten since he arrived
Crap...I was actually anticipating a great week until the Black Cloud rolled in to rain on JG.

No, that's not entirely true. Two years without any drug problems and showing plenty of skill on the field is more than enough for me to see a huge change in him.

If you're expecting him to relapse, that's fine. He didn't have any issues last year at all and was reinstated because of it, and he hasn't had any issues this year either. It's been WELL over a year, probably closer to two years since he's had any off-the-field problems, and on the field the guy still looks like a star.  So, keep fighting the good fight on it - the only way he won't be a very good WR is if his addiction problems resurface, and while that's always a possibility, it's becoming further and further behind him. I don't doubt for a second that the atmosphere, structure, and the leadership in New England is also having a positive effect on him... I can't see a way that it wouldn't.,

He may not be a 10 or 12 target per game guy, but he can be a star with even 8 targets per game.
Devante Adams and Doug Baldwin would be comps based on that.  I'd be happy with that.

Devante Adams and Doug Baldwin would be comps based on that.  I'd be happy with that.
Yep.  Anyone would.  Given that they'd be high quality targets from Brady and a lot of coverage will automatically shift to Gronk and Edelman too, he can do a lot of damage with 8 targets per week with some weeks down around 6 but others up around 9 or 10.  More than that would be gravy.

I’m playing against Josh this week and am scared to death. 

I see a blow up performance from him this week.  6-132-2

aggression doesn't suit you. 

but seeing gordon live on monday night does suit me, very well. 

keep an eye out for the SF3 sign at the 50yd line

If you aren't on the JG bandwagon or dare to say something negative about him, many in here get their panties in a bunch.  Been going on for years
"Panties in a bunch"... whoa... Bazinga bringing the good stuff to the mound tonight!

If you aren't on the JG bandwagon or dare to say something negative about him, many in here get heir panties in a bunch.  Been going on for years
Really?   Guy hasnt done anything since 2014 and comes wired with red flags.  

Easy to love the potential in his current sitch though.  Outside of this week I want to see him crush it this year.  

Dont read thread on the reg.   What is with all the animosity?
Synopsis over the past 5 years.  Soulfly is the biggest JG fan in the world beyond what would be deemed normal.  Bazina likes to come in and be overly negative.  I think it is his way of being okay with the fact that JG is putting up WR2 numbers currently.  

Side note: Soulfly made some bet that if JG didn't do something he would leave FBG for life and he didn't live up to it.  

That is this thread in a nutshell.

Synopsis over the past 5 years.  Soulfly is the biggest JG fan in the world beyond what would be deemed normal.  Bazina likes to come in and be overly negative.  I think it is his way of being okay with the fact that JG is putting up WR2 numbers currently.  

Side note: Soulfly made some bet that if JG didn't do something he would leave FBG for life and he didn't live up to it.  

That is this thread in a nutshell.
Ah. So regular FBG stuff.  Carry on.  

Lol.  Seems like a lot of chips are in the pot on this thread.  

Has it really been going on since 2014?   Based on page count I would guess it has.  

I think Soulfly has pushed his chips in several times.  If I am being completely honest I was new to FBG in 2013 or 2014 I believe and Soulfly sold me on JG.  I just didn't know I would have to wait 4-5 years.

Gordon isn't even at prime age yet. And based on how some talk in here, you could've gotten him off waivers. 

So, ya. A WR1 going forward off the waiver wire. Worth 4yr wait. 

So Cleveland sold him for a bag of rocks even though there weren't problems? I know this is Cleveland, but really?

So Cleveland sold him for a bag of rocks even though there weren't problems? I know this is Cleveland, but really?

I have done this from time to time, but let me try once more.  My issue hasn't been that Gordon couldn't be successful. It hasn't been that he will be.  It is that frequently (right now included) he has been valued closer to his potential than not.  When you factor in the risk, he is a sell.  I am pretty sure you can sell him for solid wr2 levels today.  Maybe not in all leagues but many.  In some you might even find a guy willing to pay high end wr2 prices. It is a game of probabilities.  At those price points, I am a seller.  
Have you listened to a Hue Jackson presser? Or a post game interview? Or any time someone sticks a mic in his face?

I'm going to go with Yes. It's entirely plausible. Likely even.

And I know you have been beating the "risk of relapse" drum but the fact remains that Gordon has been clean for around two years.

At some point I would think you would acknowledge those things and even give him some credit for fighting so hard to overcome a serious personal problem while in the public spotlight.

Even ignoring the off the field stuff it would be nice to see you acknowledge what appears to be happening on the field. And it's not the "He's the fourth option." shtick @BassNBrew is running with (that is shtick, right GB?). Gordon is already a difference maker for New England and it looks like he is becoming one for us magic football types too.

but but but this is Josh Gordon, Fantasy God!  Are you saying he will be mediocre more often than not? Yep, that is what you said.  
I'm saying this: for Gordon or any other player, predicting they will be mediocre or average, and then bragging about it - that is just completely useless. There's zero risk in that call. Instead, have some guts and offer up some alternative players currently in the WR3 range who you think will score significantly more that JG the rest of the season. 

The reward when measured within the context of the known and proven risk, makes Josh a bad investment relative to the price you could sell him at.
This seems backwards to me.  Ive found that what you get offered in return has way less upside with similar bust risk.  Just not as high profile bust risk.  

Interesting though, what are people being offered for him?  Why trade a WR3 with WR1 upside for a WR3 with maybe WR2 upside or the equivalent at another position just because a guy might turd out?  Id rather just gamble.  I like winning so if that is wrong id like to hear why.

This seems backwards to me.  Ive found that what you get offered in return has way less upside with similar bust risk.  Just not as high profile bust risk.  

Interesting though, what are people being offered for him?  Why trade a WR3 with WR1 upside for a WR3 with maybe WR2 upside or the equivalent at another position just because a guy might turd out?  Id rather just gamble.  I like winning so if that is wrong id like to hear why.
This guy gets it. The whole post.  

really feel bad for sheldon once gordon starts dominating weekly

which by all calculations should be very soon. verrrrry soon. 

For what?  Because that means he no longer is a risk?  Wrong.  Because Josh is reading this and needs to hear me say attaboy? 

Here you go.  Josh has done a great job fighting his demons the last 2 years..  Great Job. Satisfied?

Now back to what matters for a Dynasty fantasy owner of Josh.  The reward when measured within the context of the known and proven risk, makes Josh a bad investment relative to the price you could sell him at.
Well thanks I guess. It has nothing to do with hurting Josh's feelings in case he is reading this thread. But it does help inform about your ability to view Gordon's prospects from a rational perspective.

He's a risk, everyone in the world knows that including potential dynasty buyers. That risk will always be factored into his buy/sell price. You are not making a point  that everyone isn't already aware of.

At this point you are just as likely to be selling low as anything.

I have done this from time to time, but let me try once more.  My issue hasn't been that Gordon couldn't be successful. It hasn't been that he will be.  It is that frequently (right now included) he has been valued closer to his potential than not.  When you factor in the risk, he is a sell.  I am pretty sure you can sell him for solid wr2 levels today.  Maybe not in all leagues but many.  In some you might even find a guy willing to pay high end wr2 prices. It is a game of probabilities.  At those price points, I am a seller.  
Part A: This IS Cleveland.  They have not been a model of success. 

Part B: THat is strictly about your own risk tolerance.  You can't win if you don't take some risk. 

For what?  Because that means he no longer is a risk?  Wrong.  Because Josh is reading this and needs to hear me say attaboy? 

Here you go.  Josh has done a great job fighting his demons the last 2 years..  Great Job. Satisfied?

Now back to what matters for a Dynasty fantasy owner of Josh.  The reward when measured within the context of the known and proven risk, makes Josh a bad investment relative to the price you could sell him at.
WE KNOW...we so know. We get it. GEEEEZ just give it a rest. Even I have had enough of the crap you bring to this thread. Wow. Just stop for 2 days. Please? Do you really think all this railing against the tide will change our minds? Risk equals rewards others wont see. How is that so hard?? 

Part B: THat is strictly about your own risk tolerance.  You can't win if you don't take some risk. 
This is well said.  He is a potential WR1 but there is a risk he flames out.  We could probably take a little less risk and get a WR 2/3.  So it does come down to personal preference.  

Considering it is fantasy and not real life I am fine to take more risk but it sounds like Baz likes to play it safer.  

Just for one data point. 

12 team redraft, non-PPR

Gordon for Chubb

Users who are viewing this thread