What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (2 Viewers)

A 4 game and a Year Long substance abuse suspension handed out today.

And Josh Gordon still playing 16 games as of July 3, 2014.
Not a good precedent for Gordon. Brazill was suspended for 4 games in 2013 and now a year, which is similar to Gordon. But you read the Substance Abuse Policy and there is no way that can happen, right?

"The latest is Colts wide receiver LaVon Brazill, who was suspended for at least a year for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, per Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network.

Brazill was previously suspended the first four games of the 2013 season for violating the same policy."

Last edited by a moderator:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/03/josh-gordon-hearing-has-been-set-for-late-july/

OMG real news (though it's not really huge news)

Gordon appeal date set for late July and in the words of PFT "but a deal could be negotiated before then".
So he is suspended for a year then, and a deal will be the only thing that reduces it? He better work a deal, because how likely is a guy who hears the appeal who suspended you going to reduce his suspension he handed out.

Not a good precedent for Gordon. Brazill was suspended for 4 games in 2013 and now a year, which is similar to Gordon. But you read the Substance Abuse Policy and there is no way that can happen, right?
Similar in that Gordon suspension was 50% less time than Brazill's?

This thing is playing out like a soap opera! Can't wait to see the "I told you sos" and "I knew it all alongs" start flying around once this thing reaches closure. Getting my popcorn and soda ready for the show! This thread has been most entertaining from all angles!

Similar in that they were both fined 4 games.
So, you're avoiding the fact that I said 50% LESS TIME?
They both lost 4 game cheques. Seems very similar to me.

Just checked Gordon's stats last season - said he played 14 games.

Crazy, huh?

It may not mean anything but the Colts did draft Moncrief, which would make sense if they knew Brazill might be getting tagged for a whole year.

The Browns of course did not draft a WR. Doesn't mean anything could be sheer incompetence as some have said.

Then again they did sign four WR UDFA's, which seems like a lot.

It's going to look really bad for the league if this goes through appeals they don't suspend Gordon for the year. Not only did he receive a 4 (reduced to 2) game suspension last year but now he's failed/missed another test plus got pulled over with marijuana in the car.

Gordon needs to take whatever settlement the league offers that is less than a year because he's putting his 2015 put at risk by dragging this out.

It may not mean anything but the Colts did draft Moncrief, which would make sense if they knew Brazill might be getting tagged for a whole year.

The Browns of course did not draft a WR. Doesn't mean anything could be sheer incompetence as some have said.

Then again they did sign four WR UDFA's, which seems like a lot.
Don't think it had much to do with Brazill since they weren't counting on him anyway, but rather the Colts saw value in 2nd round rated Moncrief available late in the 3rd.

It's going to look really bad for the league if this goes through appeals they don't suspend Gordon for the year. Not only did he receive a 4 (reduced to 2) game suspension last year but now he's failed/missed another test plus got pulled over with marijuana in the car.

Gordon needs to take whatever settlement the league offers that is less than a year because he's putting his 2015 put at risk by dragging this out.
Disagree. I don't think in any way, shape, or form that they suspend him the whole year if it turns out this test was simply missed. Yes, we all know "those are the rules", but I don't think it can be justified--especially if it turns out he took the test the same day and passed (which has been floating around out there).

Disagree. I don't think in any way, shape, or form that they suspend him the whole year if it turns out this test was simply missed. Yes, we all know "those are the rules", but I don't think it can be justified--especially if it turns out he took the test the same day and passed (which has been floating around out there).
I've never heard this before. Do you have a link?

If that's the rule, IMO that's what he'll get, whether logically justifiable or not. There's more involved here than just Gordon as far as the league is concerned -- the balance of power between the NFLPA and the owners is priority one, and busting balls on weed will make it more likely that the recreational drug policy is loosened up in exchange for HGH testing under the next CBA. Goddell is going to press every advantage over the players to the hilt simply because that's exactly what the owners will want him to do. Logical and fair, or not.

If that's the rule, IMO that's what he'll get, whether logically justifiable or not.
I'm fine with your position.

But to be clear - are you saying that if Gordon has a LEGITIMATE excuse as to why he missed the test, they'll still give him a one year suspension?

If that's the rule, IMO that's what he'll get, whether logically justifiable or not. There's more involved here than just Gordon as far as the league is concerned -- the balance of power between the NFLPA and the owners is priority one, and busting balls on weed will make it more likely that the recreational drug policy is loosened up in exchange for HGH testing under the next CBA. Goddell is going to press every advantage over the players to the hilt simply because that's exactly what the owners will want him to do. Logical and fair, or not.
I doubt the owners actually want HGH testing. Posturing in favor of HGH looks good.

For the most part I believe the report that his hearing has been scheduled... but why has noone except PFT and their "source" talked about it?

Like Rapsheet, Schef etc?

If that's the rule, IMO that's what he'll get, whether logically justifiable or not.

But to be clear - are you saying that if Gordon has a LEGITIMATE excuse as to why he missed the test, they'll still give him a one year suspension?
Yeah, I think that the larger NFLPA vs owners issue is a bigger priority, so if Goddell can use Gordon to grind on the union, he will.

Yeah, I think that the larger NFLPA vs owners issue is a bigger priority, so if Goddell can use Gordon to grind on the union, he will.
Wow. Alright then... We'll see how she goes

What's more important to the NFL money-wise, the owners vs. NFLPA issue, or giving Johnny Football the chance to be the money-maker they want him to be by supplying him with one of the best WR's in football?

I doubt the owners actually want HGH testing. Posturing in favor of HGH looks good.
Suspending one of the leagues best WR's certainly sends the message they want even if they aren't truly serious about implementing HGH testing.

Anyone?

Still just a nameless source that's claiming the hearing date through PFT

The "big guns" that everyone seems to trust haven't latched on to this story and it's hours later...

Thoughts? I mean, the hearing has to be at some point, but how confident are we in this source?

I've never heard this before. Do you have a link?
NFL radio today around 530pm. No official link.FYI they also mentioned the hearing, but not a source.

Crazy, huh?
Remember last year when Brazill and Gordon each got paid for the same amount of games. That's loco. :twopeasinapod:

Crazy, huh?
Remember last year when Brazill and Gordon each got paid for the same amount of games. That's loco. :twopeasinapod:
paid, but not played.

Josh Gordon appeal hearing scheduled for late JulyBy Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

Josh Gordon's name didn't come up in the trio of suspensions announced Thursday on the eve of a holiday weekend for the NFL. It's possible we won't know the fate of the Cleveland Browns wide receiver for several more weeks.NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that Gordon's suspension appeal hearing will be held at the end of July, according to a source familiar with the timing of the player's appeal. ProFootballTalk had the first report.

Browns training camp starts on July 26, meaning Gordon could potentially participate in team workouts while waiting for his appeal to be heard.

Gordon faces a potentially lengthy suspension for a positive drug test. The appeal hearing could be nixed if the NFL and NFL Players Association strike a deal on a reduced suspension for Gordon, who was the NFL's leading receiver in 2013.

Gordon was suspended two games and fined four game checks by the NFL for violating the league's substance abuse policy last year. He also failed at least one marijuana test at Baylor, leading to an indefinite ban.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" ranked the best (and worst) quarterbacks in the NFL today.

Soulfly3 said:
fridayfrenzy said:
Soulfly3 said:
fridayfrenzy said:
Soulfly3 said:
fridayfrenzy said:
Soulfly3 said:
fridayfrenzy said:

Crazy, huh?
paid, but not played.
Right. The important one. Tough to be a professional sports player when you play for free.

play for free. :lol:

anyways... no one? why isnt anyone reliable or anyone who isnt an "unnamed source" reporting the hearing date?

It's funny how the people disagreeing with soulfly at first were basically ripping him apart, implying there was no way Gordon would receive less than a year. Tones have changed drastically from late may until now, others not as positive as they were about their stance. He actually proved to be correct in his thinking that this was not such a cut and dry issue since the news out now is a possibility of negotiating for a lesser penalty.

It's funny how the people disagreeing with soulfly at first were basically ripping him apart, implying there was no way Gordon would receive less than a year. Tones have changed drastically from late may until now, others not as positive as they were about their stance. He actually proved to be correct in his thinking that this was not such a cut and dry issue since the news out now is a possibility of negotiating for a lesser penalty.
His position is that there was no suspension and will be no suspension. He relentlessly pounded his basis that there was no appeal scheduled and the process had extended, and therefore the evidence that no suspension would be handed down. Soulfly has been proven to be unarguably wrong by the appeal process now having been instituted. Even if the suspension were 8 games instead of a year, the people arguing that there would be a suspension - regardless of length - are still going to be on the correct side of the argument, and soulfly will continue to remain on the wrong side.

There's no way around that. And that's doesn't even touch on decorum.

His position is that there was no suspension and will be no suspension. He relentlessly pounded his basis that there was no appeal scheduled and the process had extended, and therefore the evidence that no suspension would be handed down. Soulfly has been proven to be unarguably wrong by the appeal process now having been instituted. Even if the suspension were 8 games instead of a year, the people arguing that there would be a suspension - regardless of length - are still going to be on the correct side of the argument, and soulfly will continue to remain on the wrong side.

You may want to stop your chest thumping and go back and read the thread. His original position was a suspension less than 8 games and only recently has he stated no suspension. I hope he's right as a Gordon owner, but I am not so optimistic.

Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
Ditka Butkus said:
Soulfly3 said:
0 game suspension.

Maybe a small monetary fine.

Legit excuse for missing a test.
I'll use your logic...If it was that simple wouldn't they have announced it already?Should be 16....they will find a way to come up with a superstar exception and reduce it to 8
If there were no suspension, why would the league announce anything?
Being that there is rampant speculation that Gordon failed a drug test and it has been reported he will be suspended...I would imagine somebody(NFL) would like to clarify that.

With Brazill getting at least a year...Gordon is going to have to have significant/compelling reasons he doesn't deserve the same

His position is that there was no suspension and will be no suspension. He relentlessly pounded his basis that there was no appeal scheduled and the process had extended, and therefore the evidence that no suspension would be handed down.Soulfly has been proven to be unarguably wrong by the appeal process now having been instituted. Even if the suspension were 8 games instead of a year, the people arguing that there would be a suspension - regardless of length - are still going to be on the correct side of the argument, and soulfly will continue to remain on the wrong side.

His position is that there was no suspension and will be no suspension. He relentlessly pounded his basis that there was no appeal scheduled and the process had extended, and therefore the evidence that no suspension would be handed down.Soulfly has been proven to be unarguably wrong by the appeal process now having been instituted. Even if the suspension were 8 games instead of a year, the people arguing that there would be a suspension - regardless of length - are still going to be on the correct side of the argument, and soulfly will continue to remain on the wrong side.

I am not saying i agree with his recent projection , i do not. My point was the "tone" of the argument against him has changed from what it was in late May when most people were laughing at the prospect of gordon not receiving a season long ban. It seems now that it is at least possible the suspension is not 16 games, a view that was thought of as rediculous by most aruging against him a month ago.

Pumpnick and jdswan922, I completely expected this, so not to worry.

They hated my viewpoint then, and now that's there's a very distinct possibility that it happens, they have to pick me apart personally to overcome their failure to open their eyes to the entire situation.

It's human nature. unfortunately.

SoulFly's issue isn't what he predicted, it is his rationale and bias in how he arrived at that prediction.

I actually agree and think he'll get 8 games just because most media announcements come at you a 100 miles an hour and then settle in to reality, but I will not pick and choose what sources are credible, compare apples to oranges in terms of suspensions, cite an NFL policy and think I can determine where a player is in a private program, and refuse to acknowledge the other side of the argument.

You may want to stop your chest thumping and go back and read the thread. His original position was a suspension less than 8 games and only recently has he stated no suspension. I hope he's right as a Gordon owner, but I am not so optimistic.
That's not his current position is it (hence the use of the verb "is")? No chest thumping - just pointing out that his position is wrong, and again, not even touching on the way he has presented himself, which lends itself to significant derision on its own.

One of the reasons the NBA is not as popular as the NFL is its image of having 'thug' players.
Oh dear, the "thug" word. To paraphrase Richard Sherman, thug is an accepted way of calling somebody the N-word.

Who exactly are these thugs you speak of in the NBA?

If the image of having thug players is one of the reasons the NBA is unpopular, it is way down the list. The main reason the NBA hasn't achieved the popularity of the NFL is that it simply isn't that compelling to a lot of people.

Besides, having a thug image sure doesn't seem to bother NFL fans. We held past players like Ben Davidson and Conard Dobler in high esteem during their playing days. And Suh is very popular today.

Will be interesting for sure.

I personally think the NFL is slowplaying this appeal to try to force Gordon to come to some type of settlement. The closer to camp they can stretch it the tougher the position they put Gordon in.

Again, its just my speculation, but I think they are concerned that Gordon has possible grounds to outright win his appeal creating further PR issues for the league.

Users who are viewing this thread