What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, NE (1 Viewer)

Juju has been an unrestricted free agent twice by the time he was 25 and both times interest in him was tepid at best...when you look at the contracts a lot of the good WRs are getting that is a very good sign of what the NFL thinks about him.

Not that I'm the biggest supporter of Juju. In fact, I've been known to insult him harshly. But let's keep in mind, Tyreek hill last year had games of yard totals 14, 22, and 19. Week 2, he had 3 rec for 14 yards.

With that said, Juju is no Cheetah.
No, but a far better version of Sammy Watkins.

IIRC, the buzz in training camp is that outside of Kelce, the targets would be spread out among the WRs. That seems to be playing out - could be frustrating fantasy wise on a week-to-week basis, but doesn't seem to be affecting Mahomes or the offense too much.

He's going to be so hard not to play but he's riding my bench for now. I pulled montgomery for him and I'm very much regretting it. Last second change too..

Name 1 Kansas City Chief that racked up over 51 yds receiving last night.

Who took his lunch money on the team?

CEH had 4 catches, Kelce had a team high 5

Memo to Fans...LAC pretty good at pass defense and a decent Defense overall.

In fact last night both the Chiefs and Chargers displayed much improved Defenses.

Buy Low!

Last edited:
This was one of those games that was a good football game and bad fantasy game. No one was fed the ball on either team except for Mike Williams ( and he got it due to Allen’s injury). Neither team ran well, the tds on both teams went to guys that largely no teams started. It sucks but it was one of those games…

This was one of those games that was a good football game and bad fantasy game. No one was fed the ball on either team except for Mike Williams ( and he got it due to Allen’s injury). Neither team ran well, the tds on both teams went to guys that largely no teams started. It sucks but it was one of those games…
Good points. More broadly, the fantasy community may have overestimated the number of AFC West shootouts we'll see. The Raiders/Chargers last week certainly wasn't one, nor was last night. Perhaps the defenses are better than expected and that's weighing down the offense on both sides.

I don't understand why he wasn't getting the targets. He was open plenty, he can get YAC when he gets chances too.

I don't understand why he wasn't getting the targets. He was open plenty, he can get YAC when he gets chances too.
I wonder if it was game planned that way in order to get the other WRs more involved moving forward, its not like Kelce was peppered with targets either.
If they were playing from behind at the end i bet we would have seen JU JU and Kelce get the lion's share

Was commenting to my buddy last night during game that both teams are similar in that u can't really trust any players (fantasy wise) aside from the QB's, and the bona fide studs, ie Kelce, Allen, Ekeler, Big Mike, and Tyreek before he left.

I think everyone wants a piece of these high powered O's, but the reality is u end up chasing points week, to week.

JuJu Smith-Schuster caught 5-of-8 targets for 89 yards in the Chiefs' Week 3 loss to the Colts.

JuJu paced the Chiefs in targets, catches, and yards, rebounding from his 3/10/0 dud last Thursday night against the Chargers. Smith-Schuster took a crosser 53 yards for the Chiefs' longest gain of the day, but he's still scoreless on the year. The Chiefs' slot man is settling in as a WR3 for fantasy with Travis Kelce dominating targets and red-zone looks when the Chiefs aren't feeding their sub-package players end-zone targets. Smith-Schuster will get a road date with the Bucs' stingy defense in Week 4.

- NBCSportsEDGE

JuJu Smith-Schuster caught 5-of-7 targets for 46 yards in Kansas City's Week 4 win over Tampa Bay.​

The good news is that Smith-Schuster has clearly won the target battle over the rest of Kansas City's wideouts even despite a Week 2 clunker. The bad news is that the upside of those targets to date has looked more like a month from Jakobi Meyers than something that is actually swinging your fantasy league. Smith-Schuster's best win tonight was a third-and-long screen pass that he took 19 yards. He's a Not Feeling Great About It WR3 entering Week 5's matchup against Vegas.
Oct 3, 2022, 12:27 AM ET

Alex Kozora @Alex_Kozora

Per @SNFonNBC, WR JuJu Smith-Schuster said he learned more about offense in his time with the Kansas City Chiefs than he did in five years with the Steelers. #Steelers
That could be a function of the Steeler coaching staff, but it could also be a function of JuJu maturing a little, realizing how little demand for his services there was and becoming more concerned with learning the game than posting on TicToc.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports that Chiefs WR JuJu Smith-Schuster (quad, hamstring) is expected to play against the Raiders on MNF.​

Smith-Schuster had been listed as questionable on the Chiefs' final injury report but was looking likely to play. Head coach Andy Reid had previously stated, "I think he'll be fine." So this report confirms the optimism that Smith-Schuster will play through multiple injuries against the Raiders. Still, it remains to be seen if Smith-Schuster is healthy enough to bounce back from a slow start to the season. After generating high expectations by signing with the Chiefs, the 25-year-old is averaging 4.75 receptions and 56 receiving yards per game. Fantasy managers who already decided to roll with him in the FLEX will be hoping for Smith-Schuster to score his first TD of the season.
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Oct 10, 2022, 11:58 AM ET

I've had him in dynasty since he was in college, and it just feels like he lost his juice somewhere along the way there in PIT. As a young player in the NFL he was a threat to break big plays in addition to all the short stuff. For the last few years, it's been low YPR and no explosiveness. I don't know if the JuJu of 2017-2018 is ever coming back. Doesn't really feel like it.

Looked bad today. If you can’t do it with Mahomes than you can’t do it.
He isn’t looking good but maybe he is trying to play through injury.
I'd give him a pass for last night (which is not much less than he caught from Mahomes) based on injury, but it's not like he's been lighting it up the previous weeks. Just doesn't seem to be even close to the guy we saw his first few years - perhaps there's good reason why teams would not offer him a big contract, as other less proven guys got, in the offseason.

I dropped this guy after watching him the first two games. That may have been premature, and he was a mid-round pick of mine, but he looked awful at doing what he did. Even though he scored a bunch the first game, he just doesn't look right. Perhaps it's injury. One can never tell, and the teams sure won't tell you.

MVS might be the one to own. He's making more big plays as the season progresses.
Could be, although consistency has always been the issue with him. Maybe he's turned the corner, but Mahomes is just spreading the wealth.

As mentioned in the Skyy Moore thread, I'm probably just going to hold on the rookie. At least we don't know yet who he is.

he really did have a bad game yesterday, so if he was injured or there's something else going on, I'd understand. His first catch was the 5th throw his way of the game. Of the first four, two should have been easily caught and one could have been a great catch that was not thrown quite on target. Only one was uncatchable. His reception o/u was 4.5, so I was watching all of his targets very closely. he should have hit the over on that in his sleep based on those targets all in the first half. thinking MVS got the looks down the stretch because of these drops, at least for last night. it doesn't look like any one of these guys is "the guy" yet, but before the game started last night Troy quoted Mahommes saying that Juju is the guy he feels most comfortable throwing to right now.

I dropped this guy after watching him the first two games. That may have been premature, and he was a mid-round pick of mine, but he looked awful at doing what he did. Even though he scored a bunch the first game, he just doesn't look right. Perhaps it's injury. One can never tell, and the teams sure won't tell you.

Who did you guys draft in rounds 16-20 that are better than all these 3-5 rounds picks people are giving up on????

Who did you guys draft in rounds 16-20 that are better than all these 3-5 rounds picks people are giving up on????

It was very early to do that, and I sort of was wondering why I did, but then I went back through it and I'm satisfied with my process. It's who one adds early on the wire given one's needs that really determines whether or not it was an effective move. I decided to add Darrel Williams in a league with reasonable benches because James Conner was already hurt. I looked at James Cook (who I thought might help later in the year), Darrell Henderson (who looks better than Akers), Damien Harris (another starter), Rashod Bateman (clearly over JuJu), Russell Gage (arguably better than JuJu and Godwin was out), and Ryan Tannehill (at the time my backup QB) and decided that Smith-Schuster had to go. Cook is the only guy one can really question from that list, but I'm holding for the long term.

So that's how it works. If you draft well enough in Rounds 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, and 10 and beyond, you can drop a Smith-Schuster for an early waiver wire phenom. Or perhaps he turns his year around and the guys I'm adding don't amount to a hill of beans and I learn the hard way.

It was very early to do that, and I sort of was wondering why I did, but then I went back through it and I'm satisfied with my process. It's who one adds early on the wire given one's needs that really determines whether or not it was an effective move. I decided to add Darrel Williams in a league with reasonable benches because James Conner was already hurt. I looked at James Cook (who I thought might help later in the year), Darrell Henderson (who looks better than Akers), Damien Harris (another starter), Rashod Bateman (clearly over JuJu), Russell Gage (arguably better than JuJu and Godwin was out), and Ryan Tannehill (at the time my backup QB) and decided that Smith-Schuster had to go. Cook is the only guy one can really question from that list, but I'm holding for the long term.

So that's how it works. If you draft well enough in Rounds 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, and 10 and beyond, you can drop a Smith-Schuster for an early waiver wire phenom. Or perhaps he turns his year around and the guys I'm adding don't amount to a hill of beans and I learn the hard way.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get a handle on how you guys don't have junk sitting around somewhere that you drafted late. I can see it in short bench leagues, but 18+ round x 12 teams. I'm seeing tons of guys like Watkins, People-Jones, Conklin, Austin III, Golladay, Fant, OGun, Spiller, Davis, etc that could be jettisoned. I also only carry one QB

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get a handle on how you guys don't have junk sitting around somewhere that you drafted late. I can see it in short bench leagues, but 18+ round x 12 teams. I'm seeing tons of guys like Watkins, People-Jones, Conklin, Austin III, Golladay, Fant, OGun, Spiller, Davis, etc that could be jettisoned. I also only carry one QB

Naw, no sweat. It's a casual league in the FFA. Competition and fun only. The league is start eight (QB WR WR RB RB TE W/R/T D/ST) and six on the bench. That probably goes a long way to causing your confusion if you're comparing it to a league whose draft went eighteen-plus rounds. Perhaps I'm the one without the league that most approximates standard, and I should have qualified my post that way.

I see what you're saying. It felt early to drop him when I realized days later I had (I think I did late night, sleepy waivers), but in the end, I'm not upset with it. Yet.

Packaged him and James Conner for what will likely be a mid 2nd a few weeks ago in a big rebuild.

Feel good about it. I really thought he'd be better though. He must have lost a step with all his time off injured. It happens.

I am surprised at juju’s fall from his great start to his career in the NFL. I had picked him up for free last season and sold him when he signed with KC. Many said I lost the trade (juju,eary 2 for late 1). I was fine with losing the trade, but I did not expect this poor of performance by him.

JuJu Smith-Schuster caught all five of his targets for 113 yards and a touchdown in the Chiefs' Week 6 loss to the Bills.

Smith-Schuster managed his first touchdown as a Chief in a highly efficient outing against Buffalo. He scored on a 42-yard catch and run in which three Bills defenders somehow could not take down JuJu, who broke away from the defense and glided into the end zone. This all came very much out of nowhere. JuJu had 79 yards on eight receptions over the past two games as a distant second (or third) option in the KC passing attack. JuJu, who led all Chiefs wideouts in targets per route run coming into Week 6, should be fine as a WR3 in Week 7 against the Niners.

- NBCSportsEDGE

I hope so but am skeptical. Too many mouths to feed unfortunately. Mahomes will throw about 6 times to rbs, about 12 to TEs (9 to Kelce), and about 19 to the wr's. Of those WR targets he gets the most but only by a slight margin. Juju 35%, MVS (30%), Hardman (19%), Skyy (10%), Watson (6%) among wrs. The distribution is pretty consistent so Juju's real value is if he scores a TD or not which is impossible to predict. So IMO he's a decent bench player in the event of an injury to a key player on the offense/spot starter for bye weeks/injury fill-in but not someone you want to roll out on a weekly basis.

JuJu Smith-Schuster caught 7-of-8 targets for 124 yards and a touchdown in the Chiefs' Week 7 win against the 49ers.

Smith-Schuster posted his second consecutive 100-yard day. He is (for now) the Chiefs' No. 1 wideout and second in the pass-catching pecking order behind Travis Kelce. He had an impressive 45-yard catch and run in the fourth quarter as the Niners coverage unit scrambled to double team Kelce, leaving JuJu wide open in the middle of the field. With at least five catches in four of his past five games, Smith-Schuster has carved out a valuable role in a potent Kansas City offense that will continue throwing the ball as much as anyone. He should be a fine low-end WR2 when the Chiefs return from their Week 8 bye.

- NBCSportsEDGE

K. Toney to KC...any thoughts on if this hurts or helps JuJu?

They have similar roles? Or does Toney kick somebody like S. Moore or MVS out of the picture?

Could have sworn JuJu and Toney were both slot guys.

The Giants lined up Toney outside but he also took a good amount of slot snaps. Juju can play outside but for now I'd think the biggest impact is to Mecole Hardman, since Hardman's 'gadget' role is basically what Toney did in college.

EDIT: I also posted FantasyPros take on the KC WR room in the Kadarius Toney thread.

Last edited:
K. Toney to KC...any thoughts on if this hurts or helps JuJu?

They have similar roles? Or does Toney kick somebody like S. Moore or MVS out of the picture?

Could have sworn JuJu and Toney were both slot guys.
i have Juju and picked up Toney as well….I certainly don’t think it helps Juju, I just don’t know how much it will hurt him. Toney has the most talent so he has the most upside but he’s completely unreliable. I‘m annoyed as a Juju owner because it just seemed like he was starting to click over the past couple weeks and this throws everything we though we knew up in the air.

Last edited:
Fantasy Football Six Pack: JuJu Smith-Schuster has joined some elite company

Excerpt:

315 – JuJu Smith-Schuster has gained 315 yards after the catch so far this season, the fourth-highest total in the NFL. He ranks behind only Cooper Kupp (421), Justin Jefferson(367) and Tyreek Hill (347), which tells you this is a stat reserved for exceptional receivers. The next four guys on the list are Jaylen Waddle, Deebo Samuel, A.J. Brown and Stefon Diggs. So, in case you hadn't noticed, Smith-Schuster has played his way into elite company statistically. He's now on pace for 93 catches and over 1,230 receiving yards. Wherever you drafted him, you've certainly profited.

JuJu Smith-Schuster (head) went to the locker room in Week 10 against the Jaguars.​

JuJu was attempting to catch an intermediate pass from Patrick Mahomes. As he turned upfield, Jaguars safety Andre Cisco launched at him with a helmet-to-helmet collision. JuJu dropped the ball but the play was ruled as an incomplete pass. Cisco was flagged for the hit but the penalty was later called off. JuJu stayed down for a few minutes before being helped to the locker room by multiple trainers. He struggled to stay upright as he left the game and will not return today. Smith-Schuster had two catches for 33 yards before going down.
Nov 13, 2022, 2:19 PM ET

JuJu Smith-Schuster (concussion) was ruled out in Week 10 against the Jaguars.​

JuJu had no chance of returning after taking a brutal hit to the helmet in the first half. He was down on the field for a few minutes before being helped off the field and into the locker room by multiple trainers. If he is out beyond Week 10, Kadarius Toney could play a major role in the Chiefs' passing attack.
Nov 13, 2022, 2:39 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread