What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Laquon Treadwell, SEA (4 Viewers)

Greg Peshek tracked routes run for some players in the 2013 & 2014 draft classes. Sammy Watkins (2013 season) ran the most screens out of the receivers that he tracked - 57.4% of his targets (or maybe it was of his receptions) - and still managed to average 11.2 yards per target on the season. 8 other WRs that he tracked also had over 20% screens. Here they are, along with Treadwell, sorted by YPT:

%Scrn Player Season YPT
57.4 Sammy Watkins 2013 11.2
31.6 Stedman Bailey 2012 11.1
26.2 Brandin Cooks 2013 10.3
27.6 Allen Robinson 2013 9.6
45.8 Jordan Matthews 2013 9.4
33.9 Tavon Austin 2012 9.1
24.1 Markus Wheaton 2012 8.8
25.6 Quinton Patton 2012 8.8
??? Laquon Treadwell 2015 8.4
30.0 Keenan Allen 2012 8.4

So running lots of screens doesn't prevent a receiver from having a very good YPT, and Treadwell is near the bottom of the barrel in YPT even compared to WR prospects who ran a lot of screens. The only other guys below 9.0 YPT are Wheaton & Patton (who haven't been that good in the NFL) and Allen (who had lousy quarterbacking, and was above 9.0 YPT in 2011).

Treadwell.gif

The only other guys below 9.0 YPT are Wheaton & Patton (who haven't been that good in the NFL) and Allen (who had lousy quarterbacking, and was above 9.0 YPT in 2011).
There are certainly red flags and if he doesn't go in the first 2 rounds you better hope he goes to a good situation like Allen did.

maybe i'm missing something but looked like a standard play, is something supposed to stand out here?
Beats the DB off the line, has the speed to start getting separation, slows down to adjust to the ball, extends (hands, arms with jump), cleanly catches the ball, lands turns and walks in as the DB slides off of him. And it's all smooth and under control.

It looks casual but it's actually a very good play. Plus, it's not against some no name school. I'm not "defending" Treadwell as I'm lower than most on him but this is my personal favourite play that he made. He makes it look so easy. 

I hope he goes to the right team. There are a couple of very interesting spots he could land.

I see that nit picking season is open already.  My advice to all:  Don't let everything this kid has actually done on the field for a couple of years be pushed aside and cloud your judgment during the next couple of months.  There is a reason this player has been well-known and thought of for a few seasons.

I hope they never take away the ability to post GIF's like that here...sure, a couple jerks will post something inappropriate once in a while, but overall the ability to not just link, but embed visual evidence right in the middle of the conversation like that is very valuable here.

I don't understand how people are missing on this guy. He's one of the most sure things in this draft. 

Rotoworld:

NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks compares Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell to Alshon Jeffery.
"As a big-bodied playmaker with superior length and strength, the Ole Miss product is an outstanding pass catcher in traffic," Brooks wrote. "He routinely snatches the ball away from defenders, exhibiting rare hand strength and concentration. Treadwell is a polished route runner with a nice feel for finding the soft spots in coverage." He tosses out a spate of teams that are going to sniff around, including the Rams, Lions, Vikings, 49ers and Bengals. Whoever gets him won't be nabbing a speed merchant. Treadwell won't run the 40-yard dash at the Combine. NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein and CBS Sports' Dane Brugler both compare Treadwell to DeAndre Hopkins. Pro Football Focus' Sam Monson sees it much different, writing that Treadwell "reminds some of Dez Bryant or Michael Irvin, but to me he looks far more like Kenny Britt" and should be viewed as late Rd. 1 prospect.

Source: NFL.com

NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock compares Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell to Alshon Jeffery.
Treadwell has been compared to a lot of players, but Jeffery and DeAndre Hopkins are the two most-cited doppelgängers. NFL Media's Lance Zierlein and CBS Sports' Dane Brugler have both made the Hopkins comp. NFL.com's Matt Harmon actually believes that Treadwell is better than Jeffery and "the No. 1 wide receiver in this year’s draft class" with "no real debate to have on the subject." Pro Football Focus' Sam Monson believes Treadwell is being flattered by these lofty comps. Monson wrote recently that the Rebel "reminds some of Dez Bryant or Michael Irvin, but to me he looks far more like Kenny Britt" and shouldn't be viewed as a top-five prospect, but a late first-rounder. Yahoo's Charles Robinson reported on day that Treadwell has earned at least a a few "possession receiver" labels from NFL scouts because of his lackluster wheels.

Source: NFL.com 
Feb 29 - 2:48 PM

I think the Bucs have to take a hard look at himnif he is there. Especially if the don't cut & resign / restructure V-Jax. Imagine Evans, Treadwell, and Winston for 3+ years. :drool:
I could TB drafting Mike Thomas from Southern Miss in the later rounds over Treadwell. Thomas' head coach is now OC for TB.

Treadwell is a luxury pick the Bucs can't really afford at the moment.  Obviously we'll see what happens in free agency, but with Evans, Jackson, and hopefully Bell emerging they won't need to look at WR until later on in the draft.

My post was before they decided to keep V-Jax, so I doubt there is anyway they target a WR early.

He could go to Baltimore according to this.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-31-Ravens-Narrowed-List-To-Two-Players-For-No-6-Pick/d77e4179-2fc9-441b-b3a8-553737cd5a93

Late For Work 3/1: Ravens Narrowed List To Two Players For No. 6 Pick

Posted 18 minutes ago

Ravens Narrowed List To Two Players For No. 6 Pick

Assistant General Manager Eric DeCosta has always been proud of his ability to predict which players will fall to the Ravens in the first round – even when the team picks toward the end of it.

With the sixth-overall pick, this year should be a piece of cake.

As such, DeCosta and the Ravens arrived to the NFL Scouting Combine with an already very short list of players they’ll likely be considering when they’re on the clock.

“We feel like we know who the top six guys will be in the draft, at least we feel like we have it narrowed to the two guys that we would probably pick," DeCosta told ESPN’s Jamison Hensley.

Let the guessing game begin as to who the two players are, because you know DeCosta wasn’t crazy enough to reveal them. Here we go …

There will be a pool of only five players the Ravens can’t choose from. Nobody knows with complete certainty who that will be, but many project offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil, defensive back Jalen Ramsey and a quarterback or two (Jared Goff and Carson Wentz) to be taken in the top 5.

Then, either DeForest Buckner or Joey Bosa could make it to the Ravens – not both.  The Baltimore Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec thinks Buckner will be selected before Baltimore is on the clock.

With those five players removed from the list of possibilities, Zrebiec offers his big board in order of preference:

1. OLB Joey Bosa, Ohio State
“Couldn’t pass up the best pass rusher in the draft, but his adaptability to 3-4 defense, explosiveness have to be concerns.”

2. LB Myles Jack, UCLA
“The Ravens badly need to upgrade speed and athleticism on defense, and he has star potential.”

3. CB Vernon Hargreaves III
“Evaluators seem sold that he’ll start and hold his own immediately.”

4. OLB Noah Spence, Eastern Kentucky
“Very tempting, but the Ravens can’t miss on this pick, and there’s just a little too much risk with his past drug issues.”

5. LT Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame
“Sounds like everyone agrees that he’ll be a good player, but Ravens need more than that.”

6. WR Laquon Treadwell, Mississippi
“Again very tempting, but the Ravens' history of drafting receivers and the questions about his speed are just too hard to overlook this early in the draft.”

What does your Ravens big board look like? Who do you think are the two players the Ravens are targeting?

"It's not really hard figuring out the top 10 players in any draft," DeCosta told Hensley. "You do the tape work, you see the guys and follow them around. You can pretty much predict who those guys are going to be. There might be a little bit of volatility, maybe one guy gets picked higher than you think he is or one guy gets picked lower than you think he is. But, in general, it's much easier than when you're picking at No. 30."

Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell was comped by an anonymous scout to DeVante Parker.
"Most likely he is the first wide receiver taken, but that's not a slam dunk," the scout said. "He's a physical, stronger guy. DeVante Parker last year was a very similar player. Good route runner." While we're on comps, NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock likens Treadwell to Alshon Jeffery, while NFL Media colleague Lance Zierlein and CBS Sports' Dane Brugler both compare Treadwell to DeAndre Hopkins. "He's big, has made some great catches and can run with the ball," another scout said.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 
Mar 1 - 5:26 PM

NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein believes that if Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell can run the 40-yard dash under 4.60 seconds on his pro day, it "could lock him into the top 20."
Treadwell didn't run the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine, but it's already an acknowledged fact that the Ole Miss product wasn't going to turn into Will Fuller in a sprint situation. Zierlein came away impressed with his other results, though, as the 6-foot-2, 221-pounder logged a 33-inch vertical and a broad jump of 117 inches. An NFL scout who spoke with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel in late February compared him to former Louisville WR DeVante Parker, who was drafted by the Dolphins with the 14th pick in last year's draft. Said the scout, "He's a physical, stronger guy. DeVante Parker last year was a very similar player. Good route runner."

Mar 4 - 8:09 PM

Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell said that at the NFL Scouting Combine, "[Seahawks HC] Pete Carroll was one of the coaches that I liked a lot."
"He's just telling me a bunch about myself that I didn't think he would know. He kind of knew my personality ... I was just like Wow! He amazed me a little bit," Treadwell said. It makes complete sense that Carroll would instantly be able to relate to kids coming out of college. Unlike many NFL coaches, Carroll's spent time recruiting at the college level. No shock that that natural ability to connect with young men would immediately resurface in a setting like the combine. Treadwell assessed the interview process as a whole when he said, "The vibe coming from each room, you could tell the personality of the teams. That was something big I picked up on. Some teams would just be chill, some teams would joke with you and others were straight to football."

Mar 3 - 10:47 PM

CBS Sports draft analyst Dane Brugler noted that Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell "plays with athletic twitch and power to be a threat before and after the catch."
Wrote Brugler, "[Treadwell] has exceptional ball skills and catching radius with strong hands to pluck away from his body, drawing comparisons to a lesser-dynamic version of Dez Bryant." The 6-foot-2, 221-pound Ole Miss product is "not a sudden athlete" in the analyst's eyes, but that lack of liquid explosion shouldn't effect his stock too much come late April. If Treadwell can run a sub-4.60-second 40-yard dash on the school's pro day, NFL Media's Lance Zierlein thinks that "could lock him into the top 20."

Source: CBS Sports 
Mar 5 - 2:19 PM

SB Nation's Arif Hassan found three legitimate stylistic comparisons for Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell when scouring the data.
Via Matt Harmon's data at Backyard Banter, Hassan discovered good comps (anything above 90 is considered a hit) between Treadwell and Dez Bryant (SimScore: 92.7), Mike Evans (SimScore: 92.5), and Dwayne Bowe (SimScore: 91.0). "Treadwell compares most strongly to Dez Bryant and in particular, both have the same physical profile with height, weight and 40 times, as well as success rates on hook routes, nine routes and post routes," Hassan wrote. "For the most part, this presents the picture of a versatile player who can play a variety of roles, but succeeds most in a possession role, winning contested catches." The 6-foot-2, 221-pound Ole Miss product has also drawn a handful of comps to Alshon Jeffery.

Source: Cold Omaha 
Mar 7 - 4:53 PM

Really liking him more and more. He feels like Des Bryant without the crappy petulant child attitude. 

How Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell runs at the school's pro day "will shape some (NFL) perceptions," writes Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports.
Like it or not, this is true. NFL perceptions are shaped by different points of the draft process; Senior Bowl week, NFL Combine workouts, interviews, private meetings, etc. Coaches get involved with what the scouts are evaluating, then one person is forced to ultimately make a decision. The concerns about Treadwell's speed have already been discussed. The school's pro day is on March 28.

Source: Charles Robinson on Twitter 
Mar 11 - 9:26 AM

Pro Football Focus ranks Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell as the No. 3 receiver in the class.
Treadwell checks in behind Corey Coleman and Josh Doctson. "On tape he looks to lack the speed-to-gain separation," Gordon McGuiness wrote. "While he may struggle getting separation downfield, he’s as good as anyone in this draft class at using his body to shield defenders away from the ball on slants, and he forced 31 missed tackles over the past two seasons — proving he can make things happen after the catch." Treadwell didn't run at the Combine, so we're still waiting for a straight-line measurement.

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Mar 14 - 9:32 PM

Football Outsider's Playmaker Score projects Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell to average 479 yards per season through his first five years in the NFL.
Treadwell projects statistically as Playmaker Score's No. 3 wideout behind Baylor WR Corey Coleman and Notre Dame WR Will Fuller. According to Scout Inc.'s Nathan Forster, the system isn't keen on him because he posted relatively modest numbers in comparison to previous top first-round receivers. While it's true that the 6-foot-2, 221-pounder logged "just" 82 catches for 1,153 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2015, there's a major caveat here--Treadwell improved the further removed he was from his 2014 broken leg. To whit, he opened the season with just one game over 100 yards receiving through the first five contests, but then came on to record five consecutive games of 100-plus before he cooled down at the end of the year.

Source: ESPN Insider 
Mar 19 - 5:46 PM

excited to see tomorrow but regardless this guy seems like one that is always working on getting better and is always going to be a gamer. He is also so young and has time to really improve. I'm not sure he is going to blow anyone away tomorrow in the 40 etc. but he is going to have to look awful to fall from #1 on my wr board this year.

excited to see tomorrow but regardless this guy seems like one that is always working on getting better and is always going to be a gamer. He is also so young and has time to really improve. I'm not sure he is going to blow anyone away tomorrow in the 40 etc. but he is going to have to look awful to fall from #1 on my wr board this year.
Below 4.48 I'm happy. 

Between 4.48 and 4.53, I can deal wirh.

Over 4.54 I'm concerned. 

I tightened these numbers up considerably because it's at his pro day. At the combine, I gave him a much bigger tolerance. His pro day is going to be constructed for him to run as fast as possible. I'm starting to dislike players not running at the combine. The timed tests are important at the combine because it's the same for everything and everyone. These numbers are just so tainted at pro days. I understand why Treadwell and other players do it but it still sucks. 

Below 4.48 I'm happy. 

Between 4.48 and 4.53, I can deal wirh.

Over 4.54 I'm concerned. 

I tightened these numbers up considerably because it's at his pro day. At the combine, I gave him a much bigger tolerance. His pro day is going to be constructed for him to run as fast as possible. I'm starting to dislike players not running at the combine. The timed tests are important at the combine because it's the same for everything and everyone. These numbers are just so tainted at pro days. I understand why Treadwell and other players do it but it still sucks. 
Laquon is pulling out all the stops in order to run a fast 40:

Baptized on Easter Sunday

Im at the point that nothing Treadwell does with the 40 at pro day can help him.  He's spent weeks setting up the ideal conditions to run one sprint in minimum time...conditions he's not likely to see ever again in the NFL.  I want to know his 40 time after doing other drills, working out, going to meetings, having a normal football day...this feels contrived to net him a magic number and Im not buying.

On the other hand, a bad time, under these perfect conditions, becomes a much more significant red flag.

News flash!

Treadwell is not fast.  If you think he can still be a good NFL WR, pick him.  If not, don't.
Wow. You're like an analyst and a news reporter wrapped up into one. With that kind of in depth thought and discussion, who needs anything else. Thank you so much Spid... Hold on. We have breaking news! 

It seems there's a difference between slow and fast. Apparently, varying degrees as well. According to former NFL scouts, there's actual an importance in how fast a WR is. It seems using all the possible information that can be produced helps not only for individual player evaluations but also for deciding on how to place players in order or preference. Very interesting news. Back to you spider321.

Obviously, I'm joking around but I do think that every little bit of information helps. Especially, what we are watching in college isnt against the same level as competition as the NFL.

Jarvis Landry taught me not to read too much into forty times. Aside from not finishing, I almost don't care what he runs 

Jarvis Landry taught me not to read too much into forty times. Aside from not finishing, I almost don't care what he runs 
Jarvis Landry is a low ceiling guy who isn't going to win anyone's league for them. If Treadwell is that, I'm not sure I want him; might in that case prefer a guy like Doctson, who seems to potentially have a much higher ceiling. 

Otis said:
Jarvis Landry is a low ceiling guy who isn't going to win anyone's league for them. If Treadwell is that, I'm not sure I want him; might in that case prefer a guy like Doctson, who seems to potentially have a much higher ceiling. 
i guess landry doesnt have as high of a ceiling as most guys because he doesnt catch a bunch of TDs, but in my PPR dynasty league he was the #8 WR, pretty sure that is going to help win you a league.

Otis said:
Exactly.  We're not talking about a nice 4th or 5th starter on your FF team here -- he's supposed to be worth the #2 rookie pick.

i guess landry doesnt have as high of a ceiling as most guys because he doesnt catch a bunch of TDs, but in my PPR dynasty league he was the #8 WR, pretty sure that is going to help win you a league.
No doubt.  The issue is,  is he still putting up those numbers when Parker develops?  Or any other WR on the team. 

Users who are viewing this thread