What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Thomas, NO (5 Viewers)

Anyone starting him this week?  Don't like going against SEA, but it is in NO and SEA could be a little beat up after last week.
I am - as my WR3 (over Snead, actually) - the RZ targets, and the home cooking, plus Jeremy Lane's propensity to shut down slot receivers won the coin flip between Snead & Thomas for me. 

Seattle just gave up 300++ to Carson Palmer, and also gave up 300+ to Matt Ryan, although it was not always pretty - while they're still an elite defense, I think they're far better at stopping the run than the pass, and on turf, at home, New Orleans is as good a bet as any to throw for 350-400 yards this week. 

Since I have the Brees/Thomas/Snead stack I tend to watch the matcups closely. That doesn't mean my guesses are better than anyone else's, but I'm pretty confident in Brees this week, and only slightly less confident in Thomas. It's hard to predict who between Thomas, Snead & Cooks will get the most love, but IMO Cooks & Thomas are the better plays on the outside, especially since this doesn't shape up as a good game for Ingram's rushing totals. He'll still get his 18-20 touches, but I'm not optimistic for a big week unless they actually start to get him involved in the passing game. And IMO NOS best bet at a win is to beat SEA's blitz with screens & dump offs to Ingram. 

Since Payton hates Ingram, I am not optimistic that will happen. But I do think it'd be a good gameplan for NO

Last edited by a moderator:
 He'll still get his 18-20 touches, but I'm not optimistic for a big week unless they actually start to get him involved in the passing game. And IMO Seattle's Saints' best bet at a win is to beat SEA's blitz with screens & dump offs to Ingram. 

Since Payton hates Ingram, I am not optimistic that will happen. But I do think it'd be a good gameplan for NO
fyp. this makes me cry as an Ingram owner, but right on the money imo. Though I'm benching Snead, I actually think he's the better play than Cooks, with Thomas being the only one I would have high hopes for in this tough matchup. They can't shut down all three, I think they feed Thomas this week.

fyp. this makes me cry as an Ingram owner, but right on the money imo. Though I'm benching Snead, I actually think he's the better play than Cooks, with Thomas being the only one I would have high hopes for in this tough matchup. They can't shut down all three, I think they feed Thomas this week.
Whoops - typing faster than I can brain. Thanks for the fix. ;)  

Also, I'm also an Ingram owner, uh, also. :(  

Off-topic, but related, I love Brees as a low owership play in DFS this week Should be a lock for 350+ yards, 2 TDs. Guessing where those passes will go is the tricky part. 

Off-topic, but related, I love Brees as a low owership play in DFS this week Should be a lock for 350+ yards, 2 TDs. Guessing where those passes will go is the tricky part. 
Definitely related. I don't do DFS but I've been trying to gauge this game for rooting and FF purposes and word is Chancellor is out. I like that for Fleener and Thomas. That SOB was a thorn in the Saints' side in 2 games at least in the past.

With Miller being a GTD, I need to play either Ingram or Thomas.  Not sure what to do now. William Thomas avoid Sherman?

With Miller being a GTD, I need to play either Ingram or Thomas.  Not sure what to do now. William Thomas avoid Sherman?
Would rather have a receiver against Seattle than a RB.  Matchup, game script both add up to benching Ingram. 

I have both and if that was the choice I had, this is how I'd do it. 

I think Cooks will draw Sherman, and even if it's Thomas/Sherman I like the RZ threat for Thomas. 

I guess it comes down to whether I think the opportunities will be there in the air or on the ground. Ingram might have a nice day out there but it seems to favor Thomas. 

Note: I could be totally and competelt wrong. 

Would rather have a receiver against Seattle than a RB.  Matchup, game script both add up to benching Ingram. 

I have both and if that was the choice I had, this is how I'd do it. 

I think Cooks will draw Sherman, and even if it's Thomas/Sherman I like the RZ threat for Thomas. 

I guess it comes down to whether I think the opportunities will be there in the air or on the ground. Ingram might have a nice day out there but it seems to favor Thomas. 

Note: I could be totally and competelt wrong. 
It's sound reasoning. FWIW, as part of the 10-second primer, Bloom likes Thomas more than Ingram and Miller. 

Thinking of targeting Thomas in a trade this week; what did you give up? I have a glut at RB: Ingram, Gore, Booker, Mathews, Dion, James White...

Would love to unload Mathews before he fumbles away his starting gig, but I'm dreaming.
Gave up AR15 and C.J. Anderson for Thomas and Hyde this past Monday before anyone knew about the injury. Turned out OK for him though because he picked up Booker on waiver wire. He is stacked at WR but was lean on RBs. I had the opposite problem with Ware Johnson CJ and Ajayi.

Have had this guy on my bench for 7 straight weeks because I have three better wrs than him. Finally starting him this week due to byes so I'm expecting a dud.

Have had this guy on my bench for 7 straight weeks because I have three better wrs than him. Finally starting him this week due to byes so I'm expecting a dud.
12.3 points in PPR against one of the league's elite secondaries. The funny thing is that by recent standards, 12.3 from him was kinda a dud.

Kid can clearly ball and he'll probably be in my WR3 slot more often than not ROS.

Seeing conflicting reports. Saw limited with an illness and limited with an ankle. So which is it? Or both?

Well that came out of nowhere (also probably what Michaels Thomas said about his loose poop)

stomach bug - I'm sure he'll take an Imodium and tough it out. 

Michael Thomas is not listed on the Saints' official Week 9 injury report and is expected to play Sunday at San Francisco.

It's a confusing situation. Thomas missed a portion of practice on Friday with what he told reporters was a stomach bug. The Saints listed him as a limited participant in team drills due to an ankle injury. When the final report came out, Thomas was listed as "no injury," and therefore was not listed as questionable. The NFL eliminated the "probable" tag this year. Thomas will be in the starting lineup against San Francisco.

Thoughts or confidence on Thomas this week?   O/U 53 with NO laying 4 so 28-24 range is an expected outcome by the experts.  Hopefully he can get one of those scores.  

Thomas 47 catches 573 yards 5 tds

Cooks 41 catches 596 yards 5 tds

Snead 37 catches 475 yards 2 tds

Thomas is on pace for 94 catches, 1146 yards and 10 tds.

Take out his best and worst games, and he is on pace for 91 catches, 1144 yards and 8 touchdowns

In his last 6 games thomas has 37 catches for 457 yards and 5 tds.  That's an average of 6 catches, 76 yards and .84 tds per game.  Over a 16 game season that would be 96/1204/14.  

For comparison, Colston's best year was 98/1202/11.  Jimmy Graham's best yesrs were 99/1310/11 and 86/1215/16.  

In other words, as a rookie, Thomas is already on pace for the kinds of numbers Brees' best receivers have ever put up in their best seasons ever.  

Just a side note about the Graham comp. The ridiculous TD catch - whether lucky or skill - is exactly the sort of thing Graham used to do for Brees. That will just get more targets from Brees. That is trust and then some.

Surprised I haven't posted in here yet. Guy has been my best draft pick. Yea I have Amari, but Thomas has been great while Hopkins has been struggling. Huge help to my team.

So is it silly to wonder if Thomas gets the Mark Ingram treatment? 

Ingam fumbles once and doesn't touch the ball again. Thomas coughed it up twice and vollyballed a tip right to a defender for the pick. 

I'm a little nervous running him out this week...

Ingam fumbles once and doesn't touch the ball again. Thomas coughed it up twice and vollyballed a tip right to a defender for the pick. 

Ingram fumbled in two games before he got benched mid game. The game after he got benched he had 15 carries and 2 catches and turned that into 172 yards. People are acting like Payton is this guy who holds grudges. I think he's just trying to motivate Ingram. It's not coincidence his best game of the year came the week after he was benched.

Brees loves Thomas. Payton wants to win. 

Ingram fumbled in two games before he got benched mid game. The game after he got benched he had 15 carries and 2 catches and turned that into 172 yards. People are acting like Payton is this guy who holds grudges. I think he's just trying to motivate Ingram. It's not coincidence his best game of the year came the week after he was benched.

Brees loves Thomas. Payton wants to win. 
And by my count Thomas turned the ball over twice and was directly responsible for a 3rd (that goes against Brees) 

so that score is 

Thomas: 3

Ingram: 2

just makes it a little hard to trust Thomas for me tonight. I'll likely start him and Snead, as the BYE is robbing me of my starting Flex player, but it's not without pause. 

As a point of reference, I currently have him in at my flex spot over Kelce and J. Hill, FWIW.  Probably won't change that..

And by my count Thomas turned the ball over twice and was directly responsible for a 3rd (that goes against Brees) 

so that score is 

Thomas: 3

Ingram: 2

just makes it a little hard to trust Thomas for me tonight. I'll likely start him and Snead, as the BYE is robbing me of my starting Flex player, but it's not without pause. 
Valid, and I was thinking the same.

However, there are major differences.  Ingram is a vet running back, they are held to a higher standard on ball security.  MT is a rookie WR, growing pains are expected.  

Valid, and I was thinking the same.

However, there are major differences.  Ingram is a vet running back, they are held to a higher standard on ball security.  MT is a rookie WR, growing pains are expected.  
Yeah - that's my hope. But sometimes those growing pains are met with lessons. Like "0 targets in a game to teach you a lesson" kind of lessons. 

It's a divisional game though and I expect everyone to be involved, but man I'd be a lot more comfortable had Thomas not totally crapped the bed with turnovers last week. 

my impression of Thomas is that he's made of different stuff, and doesn't seem likely to fold after last week's performance. I'm expecting a strong game from him tonight.

He got hit so hard on one of those fumbles, I think most players would have let go of the ball. The Broncos are a nasty defense, and he got an introduction I'm sure he would like to forget. It was the first game Thomas has ever had a turnover in, and it just happened to be more than one. I wouldn't hesitate to play him again. QBs throw interceptions, kickers miss kicks, players fumble, etc. Players make mistakes.

He got hit so hard on one of those fumbles, I think most players would have let go of the ball. The Broncos are a nasty defense, and he got an introduction I'm sure he would like to forget. It was the first game Thomas has ever had a turnover in, and it just happened to be more than one. I wouldn't hesitate to play him again. QBs throw interceptions, kickers miss kicks, players fumble, etc. Players make mistakes.
Same can be said for Ingram's fumbles - one was punched out on a perfectly executed defensive play, the other he was protecting the ball and fighting for extra yards

Just pointing out the way Payton responded to Ingrams fumble. I think it's a fair question.

I really don't think it will work like that for him. However obviously if he continues to fumble Payton will not be amused. Still MT was playing at the very end of the last 'winning' drive, he didn't get yanked like Ingram and I didn't think he would be.

I really don't think it will work like that for him. However obviously if he continues to fumble Payton will not be amused. Still MT was playing at the very end of the last 'winning' drive, he didn't get yanked like Ingram and I didn't think he would be.
Plus we know it's not apples to apples since Payton clearly resents the fact that Ingram slept with Payton's wife. 

Users who are viewing this thread