What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Williams, NYJ (2 Viewers)

I think Guyton is the WR on the team most likely to have a marked increase in productivity this year. Williams's season last year is pretty close to his ceiling. I wouldn't be drafting him expecting more than that.
I think its positive for him that they haven't added another burner and he's had good buzz but the fact that Staley is emphasizing special teams for him makes me wonder how much his offensive role will expand. Love him as a last-round best ball pick, though...

MW is interesting. He’s not someone I’d buy for a future 1st. There’s too much risk trading 1st’s this far out. I’d move a later 1st this year or similar value and feel great with him as my WR3-4. His ceiling wins you weeks. 

Mike Williams caught 2-of-4 targets for 10 yards in the Chargers' Week 1 win over the Raiders.

Those four targets tied Williams with a whopping six other Chargers for the team lead, as Justin Herbert spread the ball around to nine different pass-catchers. Williams, however, did the least with his looks, and that was with Keenan Allen leaving in the second quarter with a hamstring injury. If Allen can't play Thursday night against the Chiefs in Week 2, Williams is a major bounce-back candidate.
- NBCSportsEDGE

Mike Williams caught 8-of-11 targets for 113 yards and a touchdown in the Chargers' Week 2 loss to the Chiefs.​

Looking to rebound from his 2/10 Week 1 stink bomb, Williams surpassed that production on literally the first two plays, where he went 2/24. No Keenan Allen (hamstring) surely helped, but Williams paced the Chargers in receiving production while making the most ridiculous play of the night, a one-handed, 15-yard scoring grab on L'Jarius Sneed as he slid to stay in the end zone. The only touch of gray was Justin Herbert playing through what appeared to be a rib injury late. Herbert gutted it out but was in a ton of pain. His Week 3 status figures to be a question mark. If Herbert goes, Williams will be a high-end WR2 even if Allen returns against the Jaguars.
Sep 15, 2022, 11:40 PM ET

Mike Williams caught just 2-of-6 targets for 17 yards in the Chargers' Week 6 win over the Broncos Monday night.​

Locked in CB Patrick Surtain's coverage for a majority of the night, Williams couldn't find any space to operate. His two catches came away from Surtain. Williams nearly came down with an impossible sideline shot in the second half but was unable to drag his second set of toes. All or nothing, Williams has three 100-yard games and three sub-20 yards games through six weeks. He's gone three straight without a touchdown. Keenan Allen (hamstring) is due back next week, but Williams will remain a high-end WR2 for the date against the Seahawks.
Oct 18, 2022, 12:18 AM ET

Will stay in my lineup as WR3 and be glad for the big weeks. He's just not a top end guy.

I blame Herbert for this one. No reason Herbert can't put the ball in to positions where only Williams at his size can go get it. That play he made on that awful sideline pass was amazing.

I’m no doctor but this looks serious

carted off the field

can’t find updates - high ankle sprain, ligament damage, possible fracture are all conjecture tweets I’m not gonna link

I just lost Hollywood last week

:kicksrock:

carted off the field

can’t find updates - high ankle sprain, ligament damage, possible fracture are all conjecture tweets I’m not gonna link

Listening to Guilty as Charged podcast live right now, and they characterized it as a high ankle sprain, but obviously it isn't known yet how severe. But no reports so far of fracture. Guessing he will be out for at least 3 weeks, meaning the next 2 games, but that is pure speculation at this point.

carted off the field

Listening to Guilty as Charged podcast live right now, and they characterized it as a high ankle sprain, but obviously it isn't known yet how severe. But no reports so far of fracture. Guessing he will be out for at least 3 weeks, meaning the next 2 games, but that is pure speculation at this point.

🎊

great

yeah, looked pretty bad, good news they're not discussing fracture though

Mike Williams reeled in 7-of-9 targets for 86 yards and one touchdown Week 7 against the Seahawks before exiting with an ankle injury.

Williams was targeted on a late-fourth quarter third-down pass and got all twisted up as he was turning upfield. He was in considerable pain before requiring a cart to the locker room. It had the look of a significant injury for Big Mike. Prior to leaving, Williams was the only means of offense for the Chargers' passing game outside of Austin Ekeler dump-offs. The good news is the Chargers are headed into their bye. One that is much needed right now.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Mike Williams (ankle) told The Athletic that he has an ankle sprain.​

Keenan Allen told reporters in the locker room that Williams had a high-ankle sprain, but said that tests haven't completely confirmed that. If it is a high-ankle sprain, Williams will likely miss some time. MRIs will happen tomorrow, Williams vowed that "I'm gonna be back," which sounds like he's already prepared for an absence. The Chargers are on bye in Week 8, and when they return it sounds like Keenan Allen, Josh Palmer, and Gerald Everett may have control of a large target vacuum.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Oct 23, 2022, 9:58 PM ET

Speaking Monday, Chargers HC Brandon Staley told reporters that WR Mike Williams (ankle) will miss "weeks not days."​

It's an ominous quote from Staley and one that likely signals a trip to injured reserve for Williams. Keenan Allen was able to play through his hamstring injury in Week 7 and now has a Week 8 bye for additional rest, but Williams' absence will still leave a major hole on the outside for the Chargers. It's possible they could be in the market for an outside wide receiver, given that Josh Palmer has struggled this season. Jalen Guyton, who has been phased out of the offense this season, could see more work on the outside with Williams out. The Chargers will also likely find ways to get DeAndre Carter and Allen on the field together.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Daniel Popper on Twitter
Oct 24, 2022, 5:36 PM ET

Speaking Monday, Chargers HC Brandon Staley told reporters that WR Mike Williams (ankle) will miss "weeks not days."​

It's an ominous quote from Staley and one that likely signals a trip to injured reserve for Williams. Keenan Allen was able to play through his hamstring injury in Week 7 and now has a Week 8 bye for additional rest, but Williams' absence will still leave a major hole on the outside for the Chargers. It's possible they could be in the market for an outside wide receiver, given that Josh Palmer has struggled this season. Jalen Guyton, who has been phased out of the offense this season, could see more work on the outside with Williams out. The Chargers will also likely find ways to get DeAndre Carter and Allen on the field together.
RELATED:

The text I highlighted in red can't truly be from Daniel Popper, can it? Guyton tore his ACL a few weeks ago and is out for the season.

RELATED:

The text I highlighted in red can't truly be from Daniel Popper, can it? Guyton tore his ACL a few weeks ago and is out for the season.
No I think that was commentary added from that site. I have not see Popper mention Guyton.

RELATED:

No I think that was commentary added from that site. I have not see Popper mention Guyton.

I figured it must be something like that, but was confounded by the "SOURCE: Daniel Popper on Twitter" at the bottom. Given it wasn't Popper, then whoever wrote the blurb is completely uninformed and useless.

The Athletic's Daniel Popper reports Mike Williams is expected to miss at least four weeks.​

This lines up with Chargers coach Brandon Staley saying Williams will miss "weeks not days." It's possible the Chargers place Williams on injured reserve. Keenan Allen returned last week but was still limited, playing on just 32 percent of the team's snaps. With LA getting their bye this week, Allen should be closer to full strength for the team's Week 9 game against the Falcons. He will be a strong WR2 option once healthy. DeAndre Carter and Josh Palmer will play larger roles in the offense with Williams sidelined.
Oct 26, 2022, 2:14 PM ET

And maybe Palmer will finally step up.

Or Keenan starts playing like Keenan. Such a weird year for Herbert so far, it’s like he has no confidence in his deep ball. I blame Lombardi, think he’s a terrible OC (almost ruined Stafford, can’t believe he got another coordinator gig.)

Palmer has been underwhelming. Feel like Everett & Carter have a lot more solid. Lot of passes to JP are way off the mark which tells me he’s not on the same page as his QB (option routes where he breaks the wrong way.) Could he wrong but that’s my take.

Or Keenan starts playing like Keenan. Such a weird year for Herbert so far, it’s like he has no confidence in his deep ball. I blame Lombardi, think he’s a terrible OC (almost ruined Stafford, can’t believe he got another coordinator gig.)

Palmer has been underwhelming. Feel like Everett & Carter have a lot more solid. Lot of passes to JP are way off the mark which tells me he’s not on the same page as his QB (option routes where he breaks the wrong way.) Could he wrong but that’s my take.
Palmer sure looked terrific in the preseason.

He looked good, but really small sample size - 2 games, 8 targets, 3 receptions. Granted, he had 75/1 on the 3 receptions, which is great, but I'm not sure how much is reasonable to take away from 3 receptions.

M
He looked good, but really small sample size - 2 games, 8 targets, 3 receptions. Granted, he had 75/1 on the 3 receptions, which is great, but I'm not sure how much is reasonable to take away from 3 receptions.
agree - I was speaking more to the eye test. I just thought he looked good. He was on a lot of folk’s sleeper lists this year, mine included.

And late last year he looked good, but that's when Guyton and Williams drew coverage away from Palmer. I think Palmer has a limited upside.
Unfortunately Herbert’s unwillingness to throw downfield isn’t doing him any favors.
Herbert has no time to throw down field with his offensive line in shambles
Good point.

Mike Williams (ankle) will not play in Week 10 against the 49ers.​

Williams never had a chance for Week 10. Brandon Staley told reporters that there's a "good chance" Williams could practice in Week 11. Week 12 would make it five weeks since Williams suffered the high-ankle sprain. Even then, the high-ankle sprain has been hard to play on effectively before it is fully healed. Williams will need to remain on fantasy benches for the short-term and be hard to trust even if he suits up next week.
Nov 11, 2022, 4:21 PM ET

I've always felt Big Mike was undervalued. He's put up some huge numbers for me but no one has ever been interested in trading for him.

Users who are viewing this thread