What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Williams, NYJ (2 Viewers)

Chargers HC Brandon Staley said the MRI on Mike Williams (back) showed know fracture or muscle injury.​

Staley added that he expects Williams to return to practice later this week, but didn't say whether or not he'd expect him to play in the team's Wild Card Round against the Jaguars. Williams had to reportedly be helped to the team's bus after the game, but it doesn't sound like the team is ready to rule him out before Saturday's matchup.
Jan 9, 2023, 3:41 PM ET

Mike Williams (back) did not practice Wednesday.​

Williams wasn't seen at the start of practice and officially goes down as a DNP after failing to appear at any point. Dealing with a back contusion he suffered in a meaningless Week 18 game, Williams now looks to be on the doubtful side of questionable. If he can't go, Josh Palmer will take his place as the team's primary deep threat. Losing Williams would be a notable downgrade for the entire offense.
Jan 11, 2023, 5:12 PM ET

Mike Williams (back) has been ruled out for the Wild Card round.​

Williams hurt his back in a meaningless Week 18 game against Denver and was not able to practice this week ahead of LA's Wild Card game against the Jaguars. Losing Williams -- who had a team-leading 33 percent air yards share in the regular season -- means Justin Herbert has no viable deep threat. We could see Herbert and the Chargers dink and dunk their way down the field against a weak Jacksonville secondary. Head coach Brandon Staley said this week that he has no regrets about playing his starters for most of last week's game against the Broncos.
SOURCE: Fernando Ramirez
Jan 13, 2023, 12:11 PM ET

Now it’s being reported “2-3 weeks”

So….Super Bowl or bust?

I knew the pollyanna updates were incongruous with being carted off the field & taken for X-rays.

And I still think it was super dumb to play him in a meaningless game.

“Back spasms” - cmon.

Williams hurt his back in a meaningless Week 18 game against Denver and was not able to practice this week ahead of LA's Wild Card game against the Jaguars. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero said further testing revealed a break in Williams' back that will probably sideline him for a couple weeks. Losing Williams -- who had a team-leading 33 percent air yards share in the regular season -- means Justin Herbert has no viable deep threat. We could see Herbert and the Chargers dink and dunk their way down the field against a weak Jacksonville secondary. Head coach Brandon Staley downplayed Williams' injury early in the week and said he has no regrets about playing his starters for most of last week's game against the Broncos.

So…broken back? Yikes.

Amazing how dumb some of these coaches are. Just no idea how to deal with risk management.
Literally a meaningless game & your most fragile and arguably 3rd most important player after Herbert & Eke. Your only deep threat.

Other teams benched starters.

I just will never understand playing Williams there.

Bosa makes sense. He needed to get the reps in. But Williams? Dumb.

It's the kind of dumb decision by Staley that could cost him his job.
I'd be willing to bet someone at the Chargers has already reached out to Sean Payton with a "hey if we lose this first round game, how would you feel about coming over?" Staley coaching for his job this week imo.
Related: is any prospective coach worth more right now?

How many teams want this dude?

He might be the highest paid NFL personnel of the entire off-season.

I'd be willing to bet someone at the Chargers has already reached out to Sean Payton with a "hey if we lose this first round game, how would you feel about coming over?" Staley coaching for his job this week imo.
Related: is any prospective coach worth more right now?

How many teams want this dude?

He might be the highest paid NFL personnel of the entire off-season.
yep. The Saints fan in me hopes he goes to the best team possible for compensation purposes. The Herbert dynasty owner in me wants him to go to LAC. But enough derailing the Mike Williams thread...

I think you could argue if you were a chargers fan you’d rather have them lose this weekend, fire that moron and hire Payton, than actually winning the game.

However playoff wins are exciting and relatively rare soooooo

Just such a dumb mistake to play guys as much as he did last week. If you need players, inactivate some people with "injuries" and call trash up from the practice squad. Staley pulled a Marlon McCree as a coach.

Just such a dumb mistake to play guys as much as he did last week. If you need players, inactivate some people with "injuries" and call trash up from the practice squad. Staley pulled a Marlon McCree as a coach.
I generally don't rag on players for injuries, but man, this guy is something special when it comes to getting dinged up

Thoughts on him for this upcoming season?

I'm convinced he's never going to be who I thought he was. But currently FBG has him at WR32. Between Herbert, the offense, and his ability--is anyone going to be surprised if he sneaks into WR2 territory?

I'm convinced he's never going to be who I thought he was. But currently FBG has him at WR32. Between Herbert, the offense, and his ability--is anyone going to be surprised if he sneaks into WR2 territory?

Nope, love his ADP.

Borderline WR1 upside IMHO.

Nope, love his ADP.

Borderline WR1 upside IMHO.

Factors to consider:
  • The Chargers were #2 in pass attempts (711) last season. New Chargers OC Kellen Moore was the Dallas OC last season, and the Cowboys were #19 in pass attempts (556). I'm sure the 2023 Chargers will pass more frequently than 2022 Dallas, since the Chargers passing game players are better than the Cowboys' equivalents, but I seriously doubt they will have 700+ pass attempts again. I think 650 is much more likely... which would mean fewer targets to go around.
  • Last season, WR1 Allen, WR4 Guyton, and TE2 Parham combined to miss 32 games. All are expected back this season.
  • The Chargers drafted Quentin Johnston in the first round, and he should be expected to be WR3 to open the season, pushing former WR3 Josh Palmer WR4 Guyton down the depth chart. The Chargers also drafted WR Davis, primarily for special teams, but he will get non-zero opportunities on offense because of his 4.36 speed. Including Ekeler and the TEs, and it's a lot of talented players to feed, which may very well dilute the value of all of them.
  • Also, ADP matters more than FBG rankings. FantasyPros shows Williams' ADP as WR26. I don't love him at that ADP and would likely pass.

The Chargers were #2 in pass attempts (711) last season. New Chargers OC Kellen Moore was the Dallas OC last season, and the Cowboys were #19 in pass attempts (556). I'm sure the 2023 Chargers will pass more frequently than 2022 Dallas, since the Chargers passing game players are better than the Cowboys' equivalents, but I seriously doubt they will have 700+ pass attempts again. I think 650 is much more likely... which would mean fewer targets to go around.

650 is reasonable, but the ADOT will increase as well offsetting the target difference...to what degree we'll have to find out.

QJ is the X factor, how quickly he can acclimate will have a lot to do with Williams' volume IMHO.

The Chargers were #2 in pass attempts (711) last season. New Chargers OC Kellen Moore was the Dallas OC last season, and the Cowboys were #19 in pass attempts (556). I'm sure the 2023 Chargers will pass more frequently than 2022 Dallas, since the Chargers passing game players are better than the Cowboys' equivalents, but I seriously doubt they will have 700+ pass attempts again. I think 650 is much more likely... which would mean fewer targets to go around.

650 is reasonable, but the ADOT will increase as well offsetting the target difference...to what degree we'll have to find out.

QJ is the X factor, how quickly he can acclimate will have a lot to do with Williams' volume IMHO.

I agree ADOT should increase, but YPA obviously matters more. So far in his career:

2020 - HC Lynn, OC Steichen - ADOT 7.8, YPA 7.3
2021 - HC Staley, OC Lombardi - ADOT 7.9, YPA 7.5
2022 - HC Staley, OC Lombardi - ADOT 7.0, YPA 6.8

Now he has Moore as his OC. In the 4 years he was the Dallas OC, here is how Dak compared:

2019 - ADOT 9.8, YPA 8.2
2020 - ADOT 8.3, YPA 8.4
2021 - ADOT 8.3, YPA 7.4
2022 - ADOT 8.6, YPA 7.3

That was on lower volume - 36.9 attempts per game for Dak, 40.1 for Herbert.

I expect Herbert's ADOT will be somewhere between 8.0 and 8.5. If so, his YPA should be a career high, maybe 7.8, give or take. That would be 5,070 passing yards on 650 attempts. That would be a new career high for him and a nice improvement over last season, so you are right that it should offset the reduced attempts.

As for QJ, all reports have been positive so far, though we are obviously in fluff season, so hard to take anything at face value.

I kinda wonder if Johnston's presence has more of an effect on Everett/Ekeler's target share, as Johnston is more of a RAC guy. I don't think Williams downfield role is in any real danger.

I think Williams is a low-end WR2, who should benefit from the addition of Kellen Moore, as well as likely better health from himself and Herbert.

Personally, I'd rather bank on Williams than somebody like DJ Moore or Terry McLaurin, with lesser passers, and almost as much target competition, even though they (certainly McLaurin) are probably better actual WRs.

I kinda wonder if Johnston's presence has more of an effect on Everett/Ekeler's target share, as Johnston is more of a RAC guy. I don't think Williams downfield role is in any real danger.

I think Williams is a low-end WR2, who should benefit from the addition of Kellen Moore, as well as likely better health from himself and Herbert.

Personally, I'd rather bank on Williams than somebody like DJ Moore or Terry McLaurin, with lesser passers, and almost as much target competition, even though they (certainly McLaurin) are probably better actual WRs.

I expect Ekeler's targets to come down, not just because of having bolstered the WR group, but also because I think the offensive philosophy will move to a different style that more often focuses in the intermediate and deep parts of the field.

I think Everett's target share may go down, but perhaps moreso due to Parham's snaps and targets going up if he finally stays healthy.

I agree about Williams vs. Moore, but would prefer McLaurin to Williams.

The Athletic’s Daniel Popper reports Mike Williams is “moving around a lot more” under new OC Kellen Moore.

That includes “playing in the slot and other inside alignments.” Williams played just 13.4 percent of his snaps in the slot over the past two seasons, which rates third lowest amongst wideouts with at least 100 catches in that timespan. Although it obviously wouldn’t be smart to remove Williams from the boundary at the expense of Keenan Allen in the middle, it would benefit all the Chargers’ wideouts if their deployment grew less predictable, leading to more mismatches. We would expect more intelligent receiver usage under Moore.

Mike Williams caught 4-of-5 targets for 45 yards in the Chargers’ Week 1 loss to the Dolphins.

Williams exited the game in the first half and was evaluated for a concussion after colliding with a Miami defender on a pick play. Besides a 24-yard catch, Williams was invisible against the Dolphins. The Chargers turned to the run and Keenan Allen once again operated as LA’s clearcut No. 1 wideout. Williams should be considered a WR3 play in Week 2 against Tennessee.

- Rotoworld

Mike Williams caught 4-of-5 targets for 45 yards in the Chargers’ Week 1 loss to the Dolphins.

Williams exited the game in the first half and was evaluated for a concussion after colliding with a Miami defender on a pick play. Besides a 24-yard catch, Williams was invisible against the Dolphins. The Chargers turned to the run and Keenan Allen once again operated as LA’s clearcut No. 1 wideout. Williams should be considered a WR3 play in Week 2 against Tennessee.

- Rotoworld
So Mike Williams got his bell rung in the First Q and didn’t play well for the rest of the game after missing a chunk of it getting evaluated in the blue tent and locker room, but Rotoworld thinks he’s a “WR3” now next week

We all know what MW is capable of when he’s healthy. Seems like a buy low opportunity, if you are willing to take a chance on the human injury risk that is Mikey.

- Rotoworld
So Mike Williams got his bell rung in the First Q and didn’t play well for the rest of the game after missing a chunk of it getting evaluated in the blue tent and locker room, but Rotoworld thinks he’s a “WR3” now next week

We all know what MW is capable of when he’s healthy. Seems like a buy low opportunity, if you are willing to take a chance on the human injury risk that is Mikey.
Dude's always hurt, would have to be a sweetheart discount to acquire him

Doctor talk on X (Twitter) is saying ACL.

Huge bummer for those who drafted him or bought for pennies in dynasty. He was lighting it up.

Any player gets injured, you always think, oh no!!

This guy it's oh yeah? Like hearing that someone bought a new lawnmower.

Sympathy for WIlliams owners. I suffered similar with Garrett Wilson. No he isn't hurt but Rogers gone might as well be.

Question - who takes his targets? I can't believe they can increase targets to Allen so is it Palmer or Quentin? Or split?

I wanted pieces of the Chargers and took him over Allen in a distance scoring, non ppr league. Williams is the perfect guy for that scoring set-up and was off to a great start. I did anticipate missing some time in season with a Palmer back-up, but a season ender this early is sub optimal. That's been the risk with both Chargers WR's.

Sympathy for WIlliams owners. I suffered similar with Garrett Wilson. No he isn't hurt but Rogers gone might as well be.

Question - who takes his targets? I can't believe they can increase targets to Allen so is it Palmer or Quentin? Or split?
Palmer is the likely beneficiary. In 5 games without Williams last season Palmer had 46 targets for 31-372-2. But I wouldn't expect that big of a bump for multiple reasons.

It's a different offensive coordinator for one.

QJ muddies the waters a bit but he's been clearly behind Palmer so far this season. He may need more time to figure out the pro game.

Getting Ekeler back, if ever will also take up some of the slack as Kelley is a liability in the passing game.

I also wouldn't discount the TEs.

But Palmer is likely next man up.

I like Palmer, but I don't see how they keep a first rounder on the bench unless Johnston really sucks. Hoping Palmer at least stays involved at this point, but I actually like his talent. Could be a bump for Everett too. He's kinda like a big WR.

I like Palmer, but I don't see how they keep a first rounder on the bench unless Johnston really sucks. Hoping Palmer at least stays involved at this point, but I actually like his talent. Could be a bump for Everett too. He's kinda like a big WR.
He doesn't have to "suck" to not be seeing reps this early in his career. It's a big jump to the NFL, sometimes it takes a little longer.

He doesn't have to "suck" to not be seeing reps this early in his career. It's a big jump to the NFL, sometimes it takes a little longer.
Fair enough. But that's some heady draft capital to be a project, but yeah, that could be the case.

I played basketball with him before … very kind and humble dude … wish him a fast speedy full recovery … Keenan is about to feast like never before

Yep. Seemed apparent to everyone that QJ would likely take the longest out of all the first round WRs to actually translate into reliable in real life football, this is clearly going to accelerate things for him but he may well have been on track to become the WR3 in any case.

This sucks for Mike

meh as a twice cooked Josh Kelley guy, I'm not buying anything the stan diego chargers are cooking. nope want no part of this offense.
they score 56 pts? yeah good for you. too inconsistent for my liking..once it's 67 yr old Allen. then Ekeler. then Kelley is supposed to be the guy. oh they score 98 pts? don't care. let someone else deal with it.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports Mike Williams (knee) underwent successful surgery on his torn ACL and is expected to be ready for training camp.
Williams suffered his torn ACL in late September but is now officially on the road to recovery. The veteran receiver totaled 19 receptions for 249 yards and one touchdown in three games this season, and had his first 100-yard performance of the season in Week 3 before exiting with his injury. He should have plenty of time to recover before training camp starts up next July.

Users who are viewing this thread