What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Williams, NYJ (6 Viewers)

Daniel Jeremiah
Mike Williams is one of my favorite players I've been around. He is always smiling, big time energy giver. Showed up and made big plays in clutch moments throughout his time with Chargers. It'll be easy to root for him wherever he lands.

100%
Met this dude before a Bengals game, hooked my kid up with his gloves. Nicest guy in the world. Rooting for him where ever he lands

Ideal #2 whenever he's healthy. Even with the injuries, I can't imagine he doesn't get at least 15+ million. I think KC would be more likely to go after someone cheaper, perhaps recently unretired Corey Davis for example? KC could also go WR heavy in the draft, taking multiple guys in the first 3 rounds, to keep costs down.

Interestingly, the 3 teams with the most cap space are the 3 teams likely to go QB 1-2-3. Williams would be a good fit with any of them, and we know NE was trying to upgrade their current group. The Bears have DJ Moore and Tyler Scott and that's really it, and Washington could use another body to A) get Dotson in the slot, and B) add some size they've lacked for some time.

A darkhorse could be the Lions, as Williams would be a sizeable upgrade from Josh Reynolds, though I'm not sure they'd be looking to sign a WR before extending Amon-Ra. They are like 30 million under the cap though.

Reportedly in Carolina, no doubt reviewing medicals.

Dang it. Was hoping he’d go to a contender.

That said, after the defensive dismantling, that’s a team that’ll be throwing a lot.

The Charlotte Observer’s Mike Kaye reports the Panthers plan to host free agent WR Mike Williams for a visit next week.
According to FOX Sports’s Sheena Quick, Williams will also be meeting with the Jets. Williams was cut by the Chargers earlier this week for cap purposes. Williams looked poised for the best year of his career at the start of the 2023 season. Through three games, the big-bodied wideout had 19 catches for 249 yards and a score. Unfortunately, near the end of his third game, Williams suffered a torn ACL, ending his season. He has struggled through minor injury issues in recent years and is set to turn 30 in October. Williams’ medicals will be a big topic of discussion with both teams.

The Jets? But don't they have a big bodied WR they're paying tens of millions to in Lazard?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

edit, Lazard on the trade block. Good luck moving that contract.

Last edited:
Adam Levitan
If #Jets can get a deal done with free agent WR Mike Williams, and he's healthy off the Week 3 ACL tear, think they're cooking with gas:

* Massive QB upgrade in Aaron Rodgers
* Offensive line overhaul: Added LT Tyron Smith + LG John Simpson in free agency, traded for RT Morgan Moses
* Breece Hall another year removed from ACL tear
* Garrett Wilson entering prime at age-24 season
* Defense led entire NFL in yards per play allowed last season
* Have 10th overall pick in April's draft

Any contingencies in that contract in terms of games played?
Majority of contracts have per game active bonus so probably.

If Rogers lasted three plays with the Jets before he was out for the season, what's the over/under for Big Mike to get his season-ender?
His injuries might have hampered his play a little bit but before last season he's really not missed much time since his rookie season. Had missed 7 games total over the last 6 season.

After his rookie year, till he tore his ACL, he played in about 92% of his games. If you want to include his rookie season, which is fair, he was still running at an 87% games played clip till he tore his ACL.

Agai injuries might have impacted his performance, made his play up and down, but he's available a lot more then people seem to realize.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports the Jets have agreed to terms with WR Mike Williams, formerly of the Chargers, to a one-year deal worth up to $15 million.
Williams is headed to the east coast after spending his whole career with the Chargers organization. He and Garrett Wilson should provide Aaron Rodgers with one of the most formidable receiver duos assuming Williams can stay healthy. Williams is recovering from an ACL tear he suffered in Week 3 of last season, but is said to be ahead of schedule. Things just got more exciting in the AFC East.
-
Ian Rapoport, Twitter

If I were the Jets, I'd be very tempted to draft TE Brock Bowers now.

I absolutely do not want him. It's not a position of need or value. WR or OT.
Right - plus with the relatively short window of ARod being there/competitive compared to the relatively long time it takes most TEs to get up to NFL speed, it just doesn’t sound like a great fit.

Right - plus with the relatively short window of ARod being there/competitive compared to the relatively long time it takes most TEs to get up to NFL speed, it just doesn’t sound like a great fit.

I'm sickened that he's the betting favorite to go to the Jets on ESPN. Just read it on Twitter.

Soooooooooo, how do you all think this impacts Wilson? A bit of a hit?

I almost typed that I had no idea what you meant.

I don't know whether it really hurts at all. Wilson will run intermediate routes and Williams will run deeper ones, most likely. I would absolutely not panic if I rostered Wilson.

Soooooooooo, how do you all think this impacts Wilson? A bit of a hit?
May lose some red zone looks given that Williams is a big go-and-get-it target, but Garrett should be a target hog.
Pretty much this.

Jets, and Wilson, have been telling us since the off-season that he needed help at WR and it concerned me for his value for this upcoming season because I don't typically like WR's more when strong comp joins them. Was not touching Wilson at his price for the time being. Keenan Allen would have soured me a little on Wilson for his upcoming season but as it goes Mike Williams is about as ideal a WR opposite him as I could hope for. MW's come along a little bit in years and can work more intermediate levels but he's still not a target monster, is ideal for Wilson in that he's good enough to command some attention from the defense but not in a role that hogs a lot of targets.

I don't know that TEs necessarily take a while to develop. Both Sam LaPorta and Dalton Kincaid were huge parts of top-5 teams last year, and Bowers is a lot better prospect than they were. Kyle Pitts had 1,000 yards as a rookie, which is also the only time he had a decent QB. Trey McBride broke out big in year 2 and might have in year 1 if he wasn't stuck behind Zach Ertz. I think the "TEs take a while to get going" idea is a bit of a relic of 10+ years ago.

What I do know, is that Tyler Conklin scares nobody. He's a decent enough pair of hands, but he's ideally a #2 TE. Bowers is a freak, especially in the YAC department. He might be a top-3 YAC TE snap #1 of his career. He can play in-line (where he's a better blocker than Conklin too) or in the slot. I think he'd be a very solid pick at #10, and more beneficial than a WR, assuming none of the top-3 are there.

I do think the Jets may think OT is set. They got 2 high quality starters, and while I wouldn't feel great about trusting a 33- and 34-year-old with long injury histories to stay healthy, I think they might. To be fair, I'm also not super high on a 40+ year old coming off a torn Achilles, but they've already made that bed. I'd take OT myself, but Bowers makes a lot of sense in my opinion. I also think EDGE makes a lot of sense, as they love their pass rusher rotations, and its pretty thin right now. Of course, that'd technically be 3 straight 1st round EDGE guys (technically because while a 1st, Johnson was their 3rd pick in that draft) but they might have their choice of guys like Turner or Verse at #10.

I'm sickened that he's the betting favorite to go to the Jets on ESPN. Just read it on Twitter.
Well if it makes you feel any better Justin Fields had second most bets placed for league MVP on him last year. Just to give an idea of how off Vegas gamblers can be.

Jets filled a lot of holes with one year contracts with players discounted due to injury history. Would be foolish IMO to think they solved the problems at OL in particular and can now view pick 10 as some kind of luxury pick. I don't get a sense that's how Joe Douglass will go.

Would be foolish IMO to think they solved the problems at OL in particular and can now view pick 10 as some kind of luxury pick.

Man, you are thinking the same thing I am.

I don't know that TEs necessarily take a while to develop. Both Sam LaPorta and Dalton Kincaid were huge parts of top-5 teams last year, and Bowers is a lot better prospect than they were.

Very true, but I still think it would be a disaster of a pick. And if they go DE, send out a distress signal for me if I'm not on the FBG boards within forty-eight hours of that pick. I might lose my mind temporarily

Jets WR Mike Williams (ACL) said he’ll be ready for Week 1.
In his introductory press conference with the Jets, Williams — entering his age-30 season — said he’s four months removed from ACL surgery and should be ready to go in September. The timeline checks out since Williams suffered his ACL injury last September. The big-bodied downfield threat, who signed a one-year deal with the Jets this week, will serve as a much-needed No. 2 receiving option behind Garrett Wilson in 2024. His presence in the New York offense will be a boon for Aaron Rodgers as the 40-year-old QB returns from an Achilles tear.

Users who are viewing this thread