What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (7 Viewers)

This part right here.  It’s 87 & sunny in LA right now. It’s 44° in Green Bay right now. 

Plus GB is a train wreck. 
Ya I can fully see why he did it.  Gets to finally play somewhere warm, fancy new stadium, LA lifestyle, team seems headed in the right direction.  I think that wins vs a cold GB, with a weird QB situation and a tiny town with nothing to do.  Rams seems like a perfect fit for him, even though his numbers will be low.

I like how everyone keeps underselling OBJ like he's finished. I doubt he even wanted to go to Cleveland and now he got a chance to pick the team he wants. GB offering vet minimum was an insult. Stafford is by a long shot the best QB OBJ has had. If Eli can make OBJ look amazing I bet Stafford can do better. 

7 targets / 75 yards / 0.7 TD a game

I like how everyone keeps underselling OBJ like he's finished. I doubt he even wanted to go to Cleveland and now he got a chance to pick the team he wants. GB offering vet minimum was an insult. Stafford is by a long shot the best QB OBJ has had. If Eli can make OBJ look amazing I bet Stafford can do better. 

Agree, this could be like an "AB to Bucs thing".

I agree. That video from his dad was no doubt a classless move, but it definitely showed the receipts. Beckham got open plenty in Cleveland… His quarterback simply was not capable of making those reads or making those throws… One of the two

Are we really sure this guy isn't washed and has something gas left in the tank to do wr 2 damage? Time will tell I guess but I'm thinking he doesn't disrupt Kupp's pace at all and only hurts Woods value a little. Stafford's back and ankle are more of a concern to Kupp and Woods than OBJ. 

IMO he's not finished, he just went to a team with a lot of competition for targets. There's only so many balls to go around and I don't see him pushing Kupp down in the pecking order considering how locked on Stafford is. I fully expect he's going to have a few big games, but they likely be followed by some stinkers.

Are we really sure this guy isn't washed and has something gas left in the tank to do wr 2 damage? Time will tell I guess but I'm thinking he doesn't disrupt Kupp's pace at all and only hurts Woods value a little. Stafford's back and ankle are more of a concern to Kupp and Woods than OBJ. 
WR3, certainly. 

What did anyone else offer him?  I think its pretty standard to offer minimum to players released who make it through waivers midseason….as he is already getting paid by the Browns.

Insult?  Please.

Looked like from all reports the offers from LAR/GB were almost identical.  Let's face it... OBJ wants the LA lights over the Wisconsin cheese.  Nothing to see here about a guy looking out for his post NFL career by being in larger markets.  

Nobody thinks he is washed - they think he didn't play with heart and his dad interfered in business he didn't belong in.  You are a 28 year old man, get your daddy off Instagram.  Also, if you think he has a better chance of a career rebirth in LA over GB - we disagree.  He is buried on that depth chart, unless an injury occurs. 

Good move by the Rams. OBJ steps right into that DeSean Jackson role... 2-3 targets/week... catches a long TD every 3-4 weeks... more importantly - he WON"T be playing for GB where it could have made a difference.
2-3 targets a week, isn't that why he wanted out of Cleveland?? He'll be 3rd in the pecking order and it doesn't make sense, for him anyway.

2-3 targets a week, isn't that why he wanted out of Cleveland?? He'll be 3rd in the pecking order and it doesn't make sense, for him anyway.
Yeah, I really don't get this move from OBJ's perspective. If GB really had a comparable offer on the table, I would have taken that. He'd surely end up with better numbers on that team going back into FA...

Yeah, I really don't get this move from OBJ's perspective. If GB really had a comparable offer on the table, I would have taken that. He'd surely end up with better numbers on that team going back into FA...
Not sure why everyone is obsessing about just numbers here.  I'm sure there were other reasons he wasn't happy in Cleve that will be covered in LA.

Again, he gets a warm place to live/play, shiny new stadium, flashy city, and good QB.  What player wouldn't want these things?

He also goes to an organization and coaching staff that seems to have their head on their shoulders pretty good, and has minimal to no controversy.  This can also do wonders for him and his career more than simply more targets would do.

I don't see any reason this isn't the right move for him. 

This move by both parties is confusing. I guess a 3/4 wr Beckham is ok for the Rams, but for OBJ? 🤔 It sounds like Golum rummaging around for "the precious" in the throws of withdrawals. 

Again, he gets a warm place to live/play, shiny new stadium, flashy city, and good QB.  What player wouldn't want these things?
Also his off-season home.

But with regards to targets I understand why people are making an issue. Not getting enough balls in Cleveland seemed to be an issue for him and he'll hit UFA and fair to wonder if the target he might get in LA will be enough for him to pick up his stock.

One who is possibly playing for his last BIG contract.

This move by both parties is confusing. I guess a 3/4 wr Beckham is ok for the Rams, but for OBJ? 🤔 It sounds like Golum rummaging around for "the precious" in the throws of withdrawals. 
Maybe quality of life and happiness plays a part in his decision.  I think if he shows to be a good teammate and contributes to a 3 headed monster of WR's that wins a SB, then his value will be just as high as almost any other place he plays.

People could have said the same about Antonio Brown picking a team where he was 3rd in the pecking order but he certainly revived his career there.

Also his off-season home.

But with regards to targets I understand why people are making an issue. Not getting enough balls in Cleveland seemed to be an issue for him and he'll hit UFA and fair to wonder if the target he might get in LA will be enough for him to pick up his stock.
Do we really think 4 targets a game vs 7 targets a game for 7 more games is going to determine his value to other NFL GM's?  I think him thriving there, winning games, and being a good teammate is going to speak as loud as 15 extra catches over the season.

Hold or Sell High?

A few posts up from your post I said his name was bigger then his game. Just got a crazy offer for Stafford in a league of mine which I'm100% sure is directly related to Odell. I think you got to at least see what you can get.

I think on the surface GB probably looked good to him (Great QB, winning organization, best record in the NFC).... but upon going deeper into it, he realized how unstable the organization and QB was there, how bad the offer was, and wanted the many, many positives that came with a move to LA. I'm shocked people think GB would have been way better for OBJ as a person and player.

I think on the surface GB probably looked good to him (Great QB, winning organization, best record in the NFC).... but upon going deeper into it, he realized how unstable the organization and QB was there, how bad the offer was, and wanted the many, many positives that came with a move to LA. I'm shocked people think GB would have been way better for OBJ as a person and player.
For this year…the organization is not all that unstable nor is the QB situation.  And that is all he would have been in GB for is this year.

I think him thriving there, winning games, and being a good teammate is going to speak as loud as 15 extra catches over the season.

You mean the opposite of how he's been the last few years? Guess depends how you view it because acting the opposite of that he still had a lot of teams want him but none wanted him so much they would pay his full salary. So for me in order to get paid the way he probably wants AND have a market yes I think having a chance to do more then he'll be asked to do in LA would have made a difference.

Maybe quality of life and happiness plays a part in his decision.  I think if he shows to be a good teammate and contributes to a 3 headed monster of WR's that wins a SB, then his value will be just as high as almost any other place he plays.

People could have said the same about Antonio Brown picking a team where he was 3rd in the pecking order but he certainly revived his career there.
Could be. Gotta say though nothing so far I've noticed or read or heard/saw from anyone reporting football stories/ffb stories suggests quality of life if what drives OBJ. He did pick them for a reason though and I think even if he rides the pine a ring sounds mighty nice. 

A few posts up from your post I said his name was bigger then his game. Just got a crazy offer for Stafford in a league of mine which I'm100% sure is directly related to Odell. I think you got to at least see what you can get.
Not sure what this does to everyone's fantasy stock.  Impossible to predict correctly, but I would guess something like:

Kupp:  Down 5%
Woods:  Down 15%
Jefferson:  Down 50%.
Higbee:  Down 25%.
Stafford:  Up 10%.

Before people start hounding on the Kupp thing, please realize just how little 5% is.  That's like 3 catches less over the rest of the entire season.

Could be. Gotta say though nothing so far I've noticed or read or heard/saw from anyone reporting football stories/ffb stories suggests quality of life if what drives OBJ. He did pick them for a reason though and I think even if he rides the pine a ring sounds mighty nice. 
No?  So you think he believes that his personal numbers will be higher in LA than in GB?  I doubt that.

No?  So you think he believes that his personal numbers will be higher in LA than in GB?  I doubt that.
No. I think SB winner is what he wants on his "resume". That's What I think. 2-3 targets or not he's gambling that the Rams win it all. If they do so does he. 

Before people start hounding on the Kupp thing, please realize just how little 5% is.  That's like 3 catches less over the rest of the entire season.

While I don't think Odell hurts Kupp ,even 5%,  using the old 16 game season  Kupp is on pace for 132/1,811/17 so however you want to look at it a 5% drop for Kupp for ROS is probably conservative.

For this year…the organization is not all that unstable nor is the QB situation.  And that is all he would have been in GB for is this year.

You mean the opposite of how he's been the last few years? Guess depends how you view it because acting the opposite of that he still had a lot of teams want him but none wanted him so much they would pay his full salary. So for me in order to get paid the way he probably wants AND have a market yes I think having a chance to do more then he'll be asked to do in LA would have made a difference.
Agree to disagree to both.  I think GB is on the downswing and LA on the upswing. (And I dislike the Rams, so I hope not).

But ya, I think you get to an age in sports where other things become more important than targets.  Winning, Weather, The City you play in, your quarterback, etc.  Cleveland didn't have any of those things (And LA has them all), so there was nothing to make him happy except targets which he wasn't getting.  Do I think OBJ will be happier winning a SB and being a part of something special in LA even with 4 targets a game vs the 7 he'd get in GB?  Yes I do. 

Again, he made the decision and obviously he knew he'd get less targets in LA, so something else is motivating him here.

While I don't think Odell hurts Kupp ,even 5%,  using the old 16 game season  Kupp is on pace for 132/1,811/17 so however you want to look at it a 5% drop for Kupp for ROS is probably conservative.
I just think it's impossible for it to have NO impact on any player.  And I don't see it HELPING Kupp, so I'll put him at the most minuscule drop.  He gets 8.2 catches per game.... a 5% drop means he gets 7.8 catches per game.  Almost irrelevant.

Agree to disagree to both.  I think GB is on the downswing and LA on the upswing. (And I dislike the Rams, so I hope not).

But ya, I think you get to an age in sports where other things become more important than targets.  Winning, Weather, The City you play in, your quarterback, etc.  Cleveland didn't have any of those things (And LA has them all), so there was nothing to make him happy except targets which he wasn't getting.  Do I think OBJ will be happier winning a SB and being a part of something special in LA even with 4 targets a game vs the 7 he'd get in GB?  Yes I do. 

Again, he made the decision and obviously he knew he'd get less targets in LA, so something else is motivating him here.
You know he is signing for just this year, right? Next year the packers will be significantly worse than the Rams but this year they are a contender - a contender that needs receiving help.

No. I think SB winner is what he wants on his "resume". That's What I think. 2-3 targets or not he's gambling that the Rams win it all. If they do so does he. 
Well then he looked at all options and thought that Rams gave him a better chance to win a SB than GB did.  Whether you agree with that or not, him picking LA proves that targets is not his only motivation, nor his main one.

You know he is signing for just this year, right? Next year the packers will be significantly worse than the Rams but this year they are a contender - a contender that needs receiving help.
Yes for this year only.  Again, he made the decision for the Rams over the Packers... why do you think he did so if you think all the other factors are irrelevant? 

Sometimes I find it funny how sports fans on a forum (who are likely not millionaires) can call a guy stupid for making a decision that might make them a bit less money in the long run.  He could have 1000 reasons he wants to live and play in Los Angelas, and people here will be confused by it or call him dumb because he might get 2 catches less per game.

Im talking this year only.  Not next.

LA may be a better situation…we will see.  But as of now if GB gets back to full strength (Bahktiari just now activated, Za’Darius may be a few weeks away…Jaire to be determined).  And yeah a QB who is still better than Stafford and very similar style offenses.

Maybe its the weather and controlled environment.   
I think the reason it was a close decision is that he sees both teams as close to equal.  And I would agree with him.

Well then he looked at all options and thought that Rams gave him a better chance to win a SB than GB did.  Whether you agree with that or not, him picking LA proves that targets is not his only motivation, nor his main one.
Yes, that is fine and all so in this we agree. His reasons for leaving Cleaveland though were different. He wanted targets and stats. the Browns are not a bad team. They could win it all just running the ball all game long and Baker thowing it 10 times. He was not happy with that. I don't know, it just seems this will be more of the same....this time too many mouths to feed in LA imho. He would have been WR2 in GB. For just this year btw. Must be about the ring and not stats or personal growth? 

Users who are viewing this thread