What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (9 Viewers)

Sometimes I find it funny how sports fans on a forum (who are likely not millionaires) can call a guy stupid for making a decision that might make them a bit less money in the long run.  He could have 1000 reasons he wants to live and play in Los Angelas, and people here will be confused by it or call him dumb because he might get 2 catches less per game.
LINK to anyone calling him stupid? I know I didn't.

Im talking this year only.  Not next.

LA may be a better situation…we will see.  But as of now if GB gets back to full strength (Bahktiari just now activated, Za’Darius may be a few weeks away…Jaire to be determined).  And yeah a QB who is still better than Stafford and very similar style offenses.

Maybe its the weather and controlled environment.   
I think the reason it was a close decision is that he sees both teams as close to equal.  And I would agree with him.
I don't know why you keep repeating that it's just for this year.  I'm aware of that.  Maybe he wants to live in his offseason home.  Maybe he wants that controlled atmosphere.  Maybe he's sick of playing in sub 30 temperatures.  Maybe he loves the new stadium and is excited for it.  Maybe he's pro-vax and thinks Rodgers is a diva.  No one knows... but the fact is that he made the decision to play in LA for THIS SEASON for a reason. 

GB's situation obviously didn't speak to him as loudly as LA's did.

Yes, that is fine and all so in this we agree. His reasons for leaving Cleaveland though were different. He wanted targets and stats. the Browns are not a bad team. They could win it all just running the ball all game long and Baker thowing it 10 times. He was not happy with that. I don't know, it just seems this will be more of the same....this time too many mouths to feed in LA imho. He would have been WR2 in GB. For just this year btw. Must be about the ring and not stats or personal growth? 
Sure, which is a good thing for him.

And Cleveland was 4-4.  I think his chances are better in LA.

He's better than Woods.... and we'll see about Kupp.... guy gets Double digit Targets non-Stop... OBJ is going to shine like Randy Moss with Brady.... He'll quickly become the Alpha WR with the Type of Play he can provide ..

He's better than Woods.... and we'll see about Kupp.... guy gets Double digit Targets non-Stop... OBJ is going to shine like Randy Moss with Brady.... He'll quickly become the Alpha WR with the Type of Play he can provide ..
Like almost all things in sports, the truth usually lies in the middle.  I don't think he becomes the stud in LA and be a Moss situation, nor do I think he is totally shot.

The AB comparisons seem pretty darn accurate.  Going to a warm city team with 2 great WR's, a good QB, and seemingly positive environment.  I think he'll get his 4-5 catches a game.

This I'd like to see. We haven't seen it for years. 
Not a chance he becomes #1 there. And double digit targets regularly is comical.

For the record, I dislike OBJ and The Rams and hope this doesn't work out.  But from OBJ's standpoint, I think it was the right move to pick them over the packers.

Dude gets out of Cleveland, gets a shot at a ring with very little contribution needed, gets to breath new life into his brand living in LA, and he doesn't have to live in Green Bay, WI.

I would say that it worked out nicely for him. Back to the red carpet telling tales of his one-handed catch over Jimmy Hoffa's tomb.

Hard disagree about OBJ being better than Woods. They’re very different type of players, for one, and for another Woods has been more consistent & healthier. And not a guy who’s cheesed off his team. 

Schefter was on Boston radio a little while ago and said OBJ wanted to try to win a ring in a warm climate. That limited NE, GB, and KC. The glitz and glamor of LA didn’t hurt. Offers were pretty much similar. 

If OBJ would have went to a place like KC, GB, NE, he would have been exposed as to just how talentless he has become.  Now, he gets to hide behind Kupp, Woods, and Jefferson as a WR3/WR4 to keep living off his name's hype value which is all he has left. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If OBJ would have went to a place like KC, GB, NE, he would have been exposed as to just how talentless he has become.  Now, he gets to hide behind Kupp, Woods, and Jefferson as a WR3/WR4 to keep living off his name's hype value which is all he has left. 
I think he’ll hold his own and make some big plays for a team that’s already hard to cover.

When they played the Titans, they got a little exposed. They need Higbee to block more & Van Jefferson wasn't getting open. They weren’t deep enough. Now? Good luck covering all 3 of Woods, OBJ & Kupp. This team’s gonna be a nightmare to defend. 

oswizzle said:
I'd be extremely surprised by that. This feels more like AJ Green to Arizona to me. A former great, who fills an ancillary role, but is nowhere near the #1 role. Fantasy wise, his biggest impact might be taking enough targets away from Kupp that Kupp is more of a top-5 WR than #1 overall. 

I'd be extremely surprised by that. This feels more like AJ Green to Arizona to me. A former great, who fills an ancillary role, but is nowhere near the #1 role. Fantasy wise, his biggest impact might be taking enough targets away from Kupp that Kupp is more of a top-5 WR than #1 overall. 
Or maybe more like TO to Cincy after he wasn’t useful in Buffalo…

I am assuming it’s too late to activate him this week (like Von Miller), but Yahoo has him projected as a non zero score…
They play Monday Night, so its probably possible. 

ETA: I thought Miller was out due to injury.

Except 4 years younger than AJ

Jordan Schultz

@Schultz_Report

Sources: Odell’s final 2 teams came down to the #Rams and #Packers (who remained his preferred destination). Not once did OBJ feel like GB was all-in. On the flip side, he spoke w/Sean McVay, who was able to creatively detail the multitude of ways he’d maximize OBJ’s talents.

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1458910536947707907?t=uDzrAxdwfI1wf12qaWqhsg&s=19
Jordan Schultz

@Schultz_Report

·

1h

A bit more context: #Rams weren’t necessarily on Odell Beckham’s radar, sources say. That is until today — when Sean McVay called OBJ detailing just how much and how well the Rams would maximize Beckham’s talent around Woods, Kupp and Stafford.
https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1458944391322685441

Jordan Schultz

@Schultz_Report

·

1h

A bit more context: #Rams weren’t necessarily on Odell Beckham’s radar, sources say. That is until today — when Sean McVay called OBJ detailing just how much and how well the Rams would maximize Beckham’s talent around Woods, Kupp and Stafford.
So Odell got duped by a coach who got him off the chessboard for one of his likely playoff opponents 

Odell Beckham's one-year contract with the Rams is worth $1.25 million guaranteed. 

The deal includes another "$3 million in team-based incentives for how the Rams finish the regular season and the postseason." It's a slightly bizarre deal, but speaks to the desire of both sides to advance deep into the postseason. That did appear to be a genuine priority for Beckham after years of losing in New York and several seasons of injury-related frustration in Cleveland. It's unclear if Beckham will be active for Monday evening's game against the 49ers, but the extra day to get up to speed on the Rams' playbook greatly enhances the odds he will be out there.  

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Nov 11, 2021, 10:04 PM ET

Jordan Schultz

@Schultz_Report

Sources: Odell’s final 2 teams came down to the #Rams and #Packers (who remained his preferred destination). Not once did OBJ feel like GB was all-in. On the flip side, he spoke w/Sean McVay, who was able to creatively detail the multitude of ways he’d maximize OBJ’s talents.

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1458910536947707907?t=uDzrAxdwfI1wf12qaWqhsg&s=19
Packers weren’t all in? Shocked, it’s so unlike management. 

Jordan Schultz

@Schultz_Report

·

1h

This speaks volume.  I highly doubt McVay lied to him about his usage...... that would just create an unhappy OBJ and a disaster with the team.  I don't think McVay is this dumb, so I do believe he will actually use him as he promised OBJ. 

Packers are just a mess right now.  Yet somehow still have the 2nd best record in the NFL.

I've seen several people say something like this recently, so this is not directed at you but more of a general statement:  The Packers are not a mess at all right now.  They are a potential huge mess starting next year. 

I've seen several people say something like this recently, so this is not directed at you but more of a general statement:  The Packers are not a mess at all right now.  They are a potential huge mess starting next year. 

Yep. Packers are still Super Bowl contenders this year- defense playing well, and Rodgers is best qb in the game. 

Didn't necessarily mean on the field. 

And now we know why he chose LA.  I doubt Green Bay gave him this...

Why did Beckham choose the Rams over the Packers? For starters, Green Bay offered him less money. Green Bay offered him a veteran's minimum salary. In Los Angeles, Beckham signed a deal worth up to $4.25 million with team-based incentives, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. The deal allows Beckham to recoup the $3 million he lost when he parted ways with the Cleveland Browns. 

Along with the strong financial commitment, the Rams also made a personal push to land Beckham. Several Rams players spoke with him over the phone before Beckham made his decision. Among those players were Rams receiver Robert Woods, who said that he spoke to Beckham before the start of Thursday's practice. 

"Jalen (Ramsey) got him on the line," Woods said, via the Rams' team website. "Was able to talk to him, exchanged numbers, talked to him again, and I was heading out to practice, the news broke. So, short process."

Woods said that group phone call was intended to help Beckham "feel comfortable and confident to come join our team and our receiver room, join what we have going on." The message was clearly felt by Beckham, who later told CBS Sports HQ's Josina Anderson that he is very much at peace with his decision. 

"I'm feeling the love from them," Beckham said. "My heart feels good." 

Woods is my WR1 so this is not thrilling news for me.

Thankfully, both of OBJ's shoulders are injured and with any luck, he'll be running the routes wrong enough times to be relegated to DeSean Jackson's role. These are the things I'm telling myself.

It is fascinating how wildly divergent the opinions are on how much gas is left in the tank. He's either a useless diva, has-been or he's a likely WR1. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. 

Woods is my WR1 so this is not thrilling news for me.

Thankfully, both of OBJ's shoulders are injured and with any luck, he'll be running the routes wrong enough times to be relegated to DeSean Jackson's role. These are the things I'm telling myself.

It is fascinating how wildly divergent the opinions are on how much gas is left in the tank. He's either a useless diva, has-been or he's a likely WR1. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. 

I don't own woods but i honestly think this isn't much a threat to his production.  Them deciding to run more would hurt everyone more than OBJ in my book but we will see

I think he will be injured before you know it as well

Users who are viewing this thread