What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (8 Viewers)

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Odell Beckham (ACL) is expected to be "ready and able to play by the beginning of November." 

Rapsheet also reports Beckham is a free agent "priority" for the Rams as they look to run back their first championship in the city of Los Angeles. The idea seems to be that Beckham — who turns 30 in November — could be something of a mid-season reinforcement like he was in 2021. Beckham is a freak athlete, but his recovery could be anything but straightforward as he rehabs the second torn ACL to his left knee in as many seasons. He will be a complicated case in free agency. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Mar 3, 2022, 10:00 PM ET

Best case scenario for OBJ and Rams - OBJ wont have to rush back as the Rams are loaded at WR - he gives them a shot in the arm dow nthe stretch like last year and Rams get him at a injury discount.  Seems like a win/win - Ill be eyeing him up as a later round pick who can be a difference maker down the stretch next yr

Rams coach Sean McVay said the team wants to re-sign free agent Odell Beckham.

"We definitely want Odell back," McVay told SiriusXM's Adam Schien. "Hopeful there will be many more years." Beckham, who had ACL surgery last month, is targeting an early November return. The Rams have made re-signing Beckham a priority, but voidable years in his Browns contract and a twice surgically-repaired knee have casted doubt on his 2022 status. Beckham needed 11 months to recover from his 2020 torn ACL. Re-signing Beckham to an incentive-laden one-year deal could be the best move for both sides.

SOURCE: SiriusXM NFL

Mar 5, 2022, 10:39 AM ET

Rams GM Les Snead said the team "definitely" wants to re-sign free agent Odell Beckham. 

"Definitely" is the exact word Sean McVay used when asked about re-signing Beckham prior to free agency. The Rams have made some changes to the receiver room since then, most notably signing Allen Robinson and trading away Robert Woods, but the brain trust in Los Angeles seemingly still sees room for Beckham. After tearing his ACL during the Super Bowl, Beckham is expected to be ready to return in early November. 

SOURCE: Michael J. Duarte on Twitter

Mar 22, 2022, 1:15 PM ET

USA Today's Tyler Dragon reports "multiple teams" are interested in signing free agent Odell Beckham.

Dragon reported a source shared with him that Beckham "is recovering well" from ACL surgery, but that he likely won't be ready for the start of the 2022 season. Beckham has been linked to the Browns and Rams this offseason, with Rams' GM Les Snead saying the team "definitely" wants to re-sign the veteran receiver. Beckham appeared in eight regular season games with the Rams and posted a line of 27-305-5 while averaging 10.9 fantasy points per game. A reunion with the Rams will likely limit Beckham's fantasy upside next season.

RELATED: 

Los Angeles Rams

, Cleveland Browns

, Green Bay Packers

SOURCE: Tyler Dragon on Twitter

Apr 8, 2022, 7:16 PM ET

The Akron Beacon Journal's Nate Ulrich reports that Odell Beckham Jr. returning to the Browns is "unlikely."

It's long been thought that the Browns would try to add another wideout next to Amari Cooper, but they have seemed pretty content to give Donovan Peoples-Jones a real chance. There was also a recent report about them not being all that interested in Will Fuller at the moment. There's still a lot of offseason left, but Peoples-Jones could be an interesting flier if (and this is a big if) Deshaun Watson plays in the NFL this season. 

RELATED: 

Donovan Peoples-Jones

SOURCE: Nate Ulrich on Twitter

Jun 9, 2022, 1:18 PM ET

^^ slow news day in Akron - the beat writers must have gotten tired of writing about what LeBron James had for breakfast.

I don't think anyone with any sensibility thought - "Gee, I wonder if OBJ comes back to Cleveland" after he outed the organization, QB, etc.  

Seems like he's going to be a ram eventually, but probably not healthy enough to be anything more than an annoyance to non-Kupp rams receivers late in the year. 

Seems like he's going to be a ram eventually, but probably not healthy enough to be anything more than an annoyance to non-Kupp rams receivers late in the year. 
No reason to even think about him for fantasy this year. As Trip said, nothing to see here until at least December IMO. 

He was just revealed at #90 on the Top 100 Players of 2022. The only team that seems to make sense to me is the Ravens, since they just lost Hollywood Brown. I'd love to see what John Harbaugh can do with OBJ in the lineup.

Like I said in my last post, the only team that makes sense for him to sign with is the Ravens. The Rams just signed Allen Robinson, so they don't need Odell. Besides, if they want to have a better chance at restructuring his contract, have Lamar Jackson one-handed TDs to OBJ. I say it's only a matter of time before the Ravens sign him. Am I wrong?

I would say Rams, Bills, Packers, Cowboys are also candidates along with Baltimore. My money as of right now would still be on the Rams, but if a contender has an injury, or one of the contenders relying on unproven guys find out it's not really going to work once they get in season, OBJ will probably look really nice to that team.

Absent an injury to Kupp or Robinson, IMO there's little reason for the Rams to add OBJ. One could make an argument that AR is an upgrade over OBJ.

Like I said in my last post, the only team that makes sense for him to sign with is the Ravens. The Rams just signed Allen Robinson, so they don't need Odell. Besides, if they want to have a better chance at restructuring his contract, have Lamar Jackson one-handed TDs to OBJ. I say it's only a matter of time before the Ravens sign him. Am I wrong?
Green Bay would make sense, so yes.

Absent an injury to Kupp or Robinson, IMO there's little reason for the Rams to add OBJ. One could make an argument that AR is an upgrade over OBJ.
They added OBJ when Woods and Kupp were healthy last year. Don't they run 3WR as much as anyone in the league? At present it's Tutu Atwell and Lance McCutcheons battling it out for WR3, with the guy they tried to upgrade over at wr3 last year out for awhile (Van Jefferson).

They added OBJ when Woods and Kupp were healthy last year. Don't they run 3WR as much as anyone in the league? At present it's Tutu Atwell and Lance McCutcheons battling it out for WR3, with the guy they tried to upgrade over at wr3 last year out for awhile (Van Jefferson).

Van Jefferson has a "realistic" chance of being ready Week 1 per the Athletic. OBJ likely won't be ready until Mid-season.

Absent an injury, I don't see the Rams making that move.

Rams have about $8MM in cap space to work with on the year.

Last edited:

Van Jefferson has a "realistic" chance of being ready Week 1 per the Athletic.
Feels like that's what they say about every injured player before injury reports are required. But even if he is, he's the same wr3 they decided to upgrade over last year when OBJ became available. The Rams are definitely still in play for OBJ.

Feels like that's what they say about every injured player before injury reports are required. But even if he is, he's the same wr3 they decided to upgrade over last year when OBJ became available. The Rams are definitely still in play for OBJ.
Yes, he seemed to find a role on the Rams last year.

Don't rule out the Rams, they didn't need OBJ when they signed him last year because Woods was still healthy when they did sign him.

Honestly I think the Rams are the frontrunners.

But I doubt anyone signs him before week one because of the way contract guarantees work.

Yes, he seemed to find a role on the Rams last year.
Losing thier WR2 for the season 38 seconds after signing OBJ may have had an impact on that. ;)

Not to mention:
2021 Woods : $3 Million
2022 ARob : $16 Million

ARob does what they were hiring OBJ to do

Not to say it's impossible, but IMO it's highly unlikely.... which OBJ probably has picked up on... which is likely why he's flirting around with the Bills.

Last edited:
@agetzenberg

Von Miller said that he talks to Odell Beckham Jr. every week and that he’s sure the WR could see himself fitting in with the Bills. Miller said OBJ “is going on tour now. He’s going to Giants practice facility, and the Saints, Tampa, and all that stuff, which you should.”

3:24 PM · Oct 5, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/agetzenberg/status/1577741443262726144?s=20&t=IZsveDEFrv_kiaBVH7zHnw

Stafford looks lost without a solid #2. Stafford just zeros in on Kupp and that is good for Kupp owners but not the Rams.

@agetzenberg

Von Miller said that he talks to Odell Beckham Jr. every week and that he’s sure the WR could see himself fitting in with the Bills. Miller said OBJ “is going on tour now. He’s going to Giants practice facility, and the Saints, Tampa, and all that stuff, which you should.”

https://twitter.com/agetzenberg/status/1577741443262726144?s=20&t=IZsveDEFrv_kiaBVH7zHnw
Choices choices for Odell - is he worth it for a last half of the season run? Is he worth the hold? What week back he is available if he gets picked up? Like week 10 or so?

@agetzenberg

Choices choices for Odell - is he worth it for a last half of the season run? Is he worth the hold? What week back he is available if he gets picked up? Like week 10 or so?

I saw a stat that Michael Gallup was the first ever player to record a catch less than 8 months removed from an ACL tear (Gallup was 7.5 months removed on Sunday).
8 months for the super bowl is next week. So I guess it's possible he's producing fantasy numbers sometime in November. I wouldn't bank on it, but could be worth a dart throw.

ETA- it was 7.5 months post operation for Gallup, not post injury. And first player in under 8 months since the fantasy doctor who posted started tracking in 2014, but possibly there were others. OBJs operation was February 23 from what I can tell.

Last edited:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent Odell Beckham (ACL) is still expected to remain sidelined until "mid-November."​

Rapoport also reports one of the reasons Beckham remains unsigned is he was expecting "more of a Michael-Gallup situation" where the Rams still offered him a "big, multi-year deal" despite his torn ACL. That was never going to happen with a soon-to-be 30-year-old wideout, especially since Beckham's Super Bowl injury was not his first ACL issue. Now Beckham is reportedly peeved at the Rams, but they probably remain his most likely landing spot. The problem for fantasy managers is that "mid-November" remains nebulous and frankly far away. We aren't sure what his upside would even be were L.A. his landing spot. He's not a must-hold in 12-team leagues.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Oct 13, 2022, 1:32 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent Odell Beckham (ACL) is still expected to remain sidelined until "mid-November."​

Rapoport also reports one of the reasons Beckham remains unsigned is he was expecting "more of a Michael-Gallup situation" where the Rams still offered him a "big, multi-year deal" despite his torn ACL. That was never going to happen with a soon-to-be 30-year-old wideout, especially since Beckham's Super Bowl injury was not his first ACL issue. Now Beckham is reportedly peeved at the Rams, but they probably remain his most likely landing spot. The problem for fantasy managers is that "mid-November" remains nebulous and frankly far away. We aren't sure what his upside would even be were L.A. his landing spot. He's not a must-hold in 12-team leagues.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Oct 13, 2022, 1:32 PM ET
I was hoping no one would report on him for a few more weeks, but I picked him up on Tuesday as a pre-emptive move when this was first mentioned over the weekend. Not all leagues have deep rosters but I figured I'd rather pick him up as a lottery-ticket as my 6th WR.

Can Odell be stashed on IR in ESPN leagues? I have an open spot and he is still floating around out there. I'm guessing no since he is still available.

Can Odell be stashed on IR in ESPN leagues? I have an open spot and he is still floating around out there. I'm guessing no since he is still available.
He's been listed as "Q" every time I check him in ESPN. Not sure about once games start for the week, but my guess is he cannot.

He's been listed as "Q" every time I check him in ESPN. Not sure about once games start for the week, but my guess is he cannot.
It is odd given his injury prevents him from playing. Is he not on IR because he doesn't have a team and therefore isn't designated by anyone? Guessing maybe that's it.

t is odd given his injury prevents him from playing. Is he not on IR because he doesn't have a team and therefore isn't designated by anyone?
Yes - he's not on IR because he's a free agent.
This really puts a cramp in my sneaky I.R. stashing, Doc.
Making it more difficult, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add Odell to my "watch list" on ESPN....worse, I don't even SEE it.

What am I doing wrong? LOL

I guess maybe I am missing something with OBJ. He's usually hurt, not nearly as effective, and sometimes pouts a lot. He hasn't been close to the fantasy star he was in his first three seasons. Based on total points scored in PPR leagues, he ranked 90th and 55th the past two seasons. He wasn't any better in PPG, ranking 90th and 58th. Last year, in the weeks he played, he ranked 30, 78, 87, 29, 62, 102, 72, 10, 33, 11, 101, 30, 21, and 83.

Not sure why people are eager to try to pick him up and stash him for a month, especially when he will have had no practice, no conditioning, is coming off a major injury, has no knowledge of a playbook (unless he goes back to the Rams), and will start out with no chemistry with a new QB / team / offensive coordinator. I guess for fantasy teams / leagues with big rosters he might be worth tucking away, but in leagues where there aren't many roster spots, I'd hate to drop someone of value or with upside. I doubt we see OBJ come in and light the world on fire. To me, he would be an injury or bye week fill in in a few weeks if I needed someone for a week or two and he was floating around on the wire. But I doubt I would want to roster him, and I really would hope I didn't have to actually play him. But maybe that's just me and my read on him is out of whack.

Users who are viewing this thread