What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., MIA (3 Viewers)

Banger said:
Guys get hurt...AP, Charles, Calvin, Gronk, demarius, Peyton, name em. The injury is literally the only negative of his year. We know when he plays he's a complete stud so hope he stays healthy.
No doubt he's been awesome and sure everyone gets hurt.

All I'm saying is if he misses time this offseason, this will be an issue again.

He went from day one til what? week 5? barely practicing and catching passes from a Jeggs machine on the sideline.

Coughlin has coached for 1000 years and at some point he stopped trying to give up dates and his tune was more "your guess is as good as mine," He and the GM were both frustrated and there was a time people questioned if the Giants team doc or trainer was handling it right.

Some fans would call into radio stations asking if he was damaged goods when they drafted him.

"A tweaked hamstring" people thought must be garbage, it must be a big tear or something more significant, but Coughlin was asked about that and said they did MRIs they'd obviously know if it was a serious tear.

If Brady misses time with an ingrown toenail, we consider it veteran rest during an offseason. When a rookie shows up and misses most every offseason activity, it raises eyebrows. Is he really hurt badly? Primadonna type WR? What's going on? Type Qs come out.

He is excellent and he will be the focus of every NFC East DC and surely some others this offseason as well. He'd better be ready to put the time in "upping" his game.

Banger, he thinks he's hot stuff too. A guy that thinks as such and misses practices...you know that doesn't go over well and over time that becomes a problem.

He recently was given a day of rest and hung out with Lebron that night. All the guys that did practice had to think hmmmm at that.

All I'm saying is he had better put the time in. Let's see how the offseason plays out. IF IF IF there's an issue then all this will definitely come up again
I think he puts the time in. They way he's been able to know the playbook, being on the same page as Eli makes me think he wasn't just sitting around bored out of his mind while he was out.

The amount of time he was out? Hammy's are tricky. It's not uncommon for players to come back too early and tweak it again. I wouldn't read too much into what Coughlin said. We can't be sure that his frustration was with the player or with the situation that his #1 pick has been sidelined. Better the injury he had than all the achillies tears the Giants were having a couple years ago.

This is one of the Coughlin quotes:

("I would like the next time someone asks me that to have him out here practicing, so I don't have to answer it. You know as much as I do. You are out here watching him every day, too," said an exasperated Coughlin. "That's all I can tell you. I would like to see the young man practice before he got into the regular season. That would certainly be a good thing."

Beckham missed most of OTAs and all of mini-camp due to the hamstring injury. He aggravated it the first day of training camp and missed about three weeks worth of practice. He returned to practice for less than a week before being shut down after being hit in the leg during last Monday's practice.

The Giants insisted at the time that Beckham had not suffered a setback with the hamstring. That is getting harder and harder to believe as the days pass and Beckham spends his time standing idly and catching passes from a either a coach or a machine.

The only concern I have is how he copes with all the stardom that is coming his way after the spectacular season he's had. Giants seemed to draft character guys heavily in the draft. Hopefully Beckham is one of them. No red flags with him so far.)

I don't think it's fair to conclude Coughlin is accusing OBJ of dogging it. It'd be unusual for TC to openly bash a player to the media. Additionally, if he was frustrated with OBJ's toughness or work ethic, why weren't there any articles by the media stating that the Giants think he's soft or lacks a good work ethic. There weren't any articles like that.

So what if he hung out with Lebron on his rest day. For a football player, a rest day probably just means a day off from practice. It doesn't mean he has to stay in bed all day or get to bed by 9pm. Beckham probably wasn't doing anything strenuous with Lebron, so he was resting.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my long time one keep league (non-ppr), I'm keeping him for my first round pick. In every MFL league I do next year (all ppr) I'm targeting him first round no matter what pick I get. I might even take him first overall. Seriously.

:lmao: Never seen a run like this kid is on. I owned Gordon last year and that was awesome, but this is more impressive. This is just a physical monster.

Ya, if he's not the 1st WR taken or the highest priced auction WR (of course that's subject to when he's auctioned and how much money people have left), then something's wrong. There is not a WR I'd want more and each passing game only widens the gap.

fred_1_15301 said:
Kwai Chang Caine said:
In my long time one keep league (non-ppr), I'm keeping him for my first round pick. In every MFL league I do next year (all ppr) I'm targeting him first round no matter what pick I get. I might even take him first overall. Seriously.
According to some in here, that would be ridiculous.
Haven't read the whole thread but they can think what they want. Especially in ppr, there isn't a player I'd rather have.

91 - 1305 - 12 and didn't start playing a full compliment of snaps until AFTER the Giants week 8 bye. The kid did THAT on half a season plus a couple of part time games. Holy SH##!

I own him in four dynasty leagues and it's not a coincidence that I won three of them and took 3rd in the other. I would personally like to thank Rotoworld for talking him down all offseason and allowing me to get him where I did. I'd also like to punch myself in the balls for not taking him or trading for him in my other 6 when I had the chance because there is no hope of getting him now.

I didn't see anything special on that 63 yard catch today. Real bad defense.

Love his circus like catches and he will feast on weaker corners. But I have a fairly vivid vision of him getting wrecked going up for a one handed snag.

Would love to see him go against Seattle. That's the true litmus test for a receiver, imo.

Love his circus like catches and he will feast on weaker corners. But I have a fairly vivid vision of him getting wrecked going up for a one handed snag.

Would love to see him go against Seattle. That's the true litmus test for a receiver, imo.
He did. He beat Sherman several times.

So he's the next Jerry Rice?

dude...ive seen your youtube video...i cant take you serious ...sorry

Solid discussion tactics here.

Love his circus like catches and he will feast on weaker corners. But I have a fairly vivid vision of him getting wrecked going up for a one handed snag.Would love to see him go against Seattle. That's the true litmus test for a receiver, imo.
Solid discussion tactics here.
Ha, thanks.

I'm just trying to get to the root of this situation. I haven't seen him play but have seen his sensational stats. Saw his big grab a few weeks back, haven't had time to look at everything he's done.

Talent is clearly there and so are targets. Only concern is injury.

We ranking him just below Megatron? Or do Jones and Thomas get the nod over him?

Love his circus like catches and he will feast on weaker corners. But I have a fairly vivid vision of him getting wrecked going up for a one handed snag.Would love to see him go against Seattle. That's the true litmus test for a receiver, imo.
Serious question: why do you play FF? Is it more of a gambling fix or are you actually good at it? When was the last time you won a championship? You almost never have a clue what you're talking about.Disclaimer: I'm a hater.

Serious question: why do you play FF? Is it more of a gambling fix or are you actually good at it? When was the last time you won a championship? You almost never have a clue what you're talking about.Disclaimer: I'm a hater.
I know just as much as all you hooligans that had Beckham ranked as their WR1 coming out of the draft. ;) Oh yeah, that was nobody.

If you re-read what I wrote I said nothing about Jerry Rice.

Point being, you can look at a statline and simply accept that somebody is here to stay. But there are always outliers like Deangelo Williams or Braylon Edwards where you have to proceed with caution.

I don't know a lot about this cat. I had him rates similar to Jarvis Landry. I blink an eye and suddenly he's going off for 12 Touchdowns in limited action. If there's another stud WR to be had among Jones, Thomas, Megatron, Gordon, and Green then I am ecstatic.

I just need to be certain that this guy will produce like those elite players for 16 games next year. If this is what we're getting, I'll be stoked. But I would be quite upset if he Sophomore slumps next year.

I know just as much as all you hooligans that had Beckham ranked as their WR1 coming out of the draft. ;) Oh yeah, that was nobody.
You didn't answer the question.

Nobody had him #1, point is you just never seem to know what's going on in FF except in the summer when you seem to form a few really strong opinions about rookies based off of highlight videos, start some threads, and call it a year.

If you re-read what I wrote I said nothing about Jerry Rice.
You're right, I brought up Jerry Rice.

My man love continues to grow. You think at some point he needs to slow down but he doesn't. Talent, drive, consistency...he's got it all. I'm sorry that his season is over. I love watching him play.

:lmao: :lmao:
:goodposting:
What's so funny? I haven't gotten the chance to watch much football this year. So he played Seattle and tore them up. He's the next Jerry Rice, I'm with the program now.
Sorry, man. It was just the most Eminence post ever. In the midst of trying to sound like you know what you're talking about, you reveal how little information you have. Classic. Predictable.

Nobody had him #1, point is you just never seem to know what's going on in FF except in the summer when you seem to form a few really strong opinions about rookies based off of highlight videos, start some threads, and call it a year.
For the record, old sport. I play fantasy football because I am damn good at it. I did get boned pretty badly by Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice this year though which really made me lose interest.

Also, when you've got Kyle Orton tossing 4 Touchdowns a game the league seems like it's become a little watered down, no?

I have asked to play leagues with you in the past and you've refused. I had a #### year thanks to some off the field antics by a few Running Backs. I only play in a few leagues 3-4 and prefer gambling on games specifically over what can be arbitrary player production.

With that said, if you want to play me in Fantasy next year. Any league, any size, any format.

What's so funny? I haven't gotten the chance to watch much football this year. So he played Seattle and tore them up. He's the next Jerry Rice, I'm with the program now.
Sorry, man. It was just the most Eminence post ever. In the midst of trying to sound like you know what you're talking about, you reveal how little information you have. Classic. Predictable.
Is my point not valid? He did play Seattle and he did well apparently. Seems to me that he passed my litmus test...

Point being, you can look at a statline and simply accept that somebody is here to stay. But there are always outliers like Deangelo Williams or Braylon Edwards where you have to proceed with caution.

I don't know a lot about this cat. I had him rates similar to Jarvis Landry. I blink an eye and suddenly he's going off for 12 Touchdowns in limited action. If there's another stud WR to be had among Jones, Thomas, Megatron, Gordon, and Green then I am ecstatic.

I just need to be certain that this guy will produce like those elite players for 16 games next year. If this is what we're getting, I'll be stoked. But I would be quite upset if he Sophomore slumps next year.
Injury is the ONLY thing that slowed him this year. If you look at the game logs he seemed to get progressively better despite being targeted more each week. Box scores don't tell the story with him.

You didn't answer the question. Nobody had him #1, point is you just never seem to know what's going on in FF except in the summer when you seem to form a few really strong opinions about rookies based off of highlight videos, start some threads, and call it a year.
For the record, old sport. I play fantasy football because I am damn good at it.
So are you better at FF or picking stocks?

I almost believe you're fishing us all...almost.
I couldn't tell you any other of the 11 teams Beckham played this year. I didn't think he played Seattle, I was wrong. Turns out he did and if he can produce against Seattle, then he can produce against anyone.

I'm on board now.

Kudos to the peanut gallery for bringing me up to speed. I clearly have been paying less attention than you guys.

For the record, old sport. I play fantasy football because I am damn good at it. I did get boned pretty badly by Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice this year though which really made me lose interest.

Also, when you've got Kyle Orton tossing 4 Touchdowns a game the league seems like it's become a little watered down, no?

I have asked to play leagues with you in the past and you've refused. I had a #### year thanks to some off the field antics by a few Running Backs. I only play in a few leagues 3-4 and prefer gambling on games specifically over what can be arbitrary player production.

With that said, if you want to play me in Fantasy next year. Any league, any size, any format.
I don't play redraft, and my dynasty leagues don't have openings this year, sorry.

It might be fun, but I don't really like the idea of having an owner in a league I commish, that I endorsed, not having the time to watch football to know what he's doing, or for instance not knowing that the Giants played the Seahawks this year before speaking authoritatively on the subject.

You didn't answer the question. Nobody had him #1, point is you just never seem to know what's going on in FF except in the summer when you seem to form a few really strong opinions about rookies based off of highlight videos, start some threads, and call it a year.
For the record, old sport. I play fantasy football because I am damn good at it.
So are you better at FF or picking stocks?
Stocks. There is more statistical basis on stocks. Fantasy can be deeply rooted in luck.

Rotoworld:

Odell Beckham - WR - Giants

Odell Beckham caught 12 passes for 185 yards with one touchdown in Sunday's 34-26 Week 17 loss to the Eagles.

The Eagles secondary had no prayer against one of the best offensive rookies we've ever seen. In just 12 games, Beckham posted 91 catches, 1,305 yards, 12 touchdowns and seven 100-yard games -- doing it even though a nasty hamstring pull sidelined him for the entire offseason program plus training camp. The massive production is definitely not a fluke, as he gets open at will with elite route-running ability, has the speed to put defensive backs on skates and can win at the catch point. Next year, Beckham will pair with Victor Cruz (if healthy) and Rueben Randle to form one of the league's most dangerous wide receiver coprs. ODB is a lock first-round fantasy pick and has an excellent case to be the first WR off the board.

Dec 28 - 5:35 PM

In all seriousness, you should spend more time watching games than posting. I'm not sure why anyone would hang around a fantasy football chatboard and NOT watch football or have any idea about how a guy he's bashing actually plays the game. I am truly baffled here....

Users who are viewing this thread