What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., MIA (5 Viewers)

I don't get the demonizing of Beckham here at all. I also dont get why he is suspended and Norman is not. Beckham isn't fighting with himself out there. The refs #### the bed in that game (a normal occurrence) and should have never let it get that out of control. Both players should have been ejected from the game and fined and equal amount, no suspensions.
In college football it's called targeting and an automatic ejection.

If the NFL doesn't suspend and he pulls the same crap next week and concusses someone, the NFL opens itself up for a lawsuit for not protecting the players.
If that's the standard the NFL is now being held to, then they may as well turn off the lights, board up the windows, and call it quits.

I don't believe in conspiracy theories. Most of them can easily be debunked working backwards. You are in saying that James Thrash, an independent arbitrator agreed to by NFLPA was instructed by the NFL, who just suspended OBJ, to over turn the suspension because they want the Giants to make the playoffs. Do you not see how silly that sounds? Even IF they did want to issue a fake suspension for show, only to perpetrate a conspiracy to overturn, I don't believe that Goodell & the NFL has the ability to pull that off in under 24 hours. Oh and by the way they are in the process of a federal court appeal dealing with their process of handling player condudct.

I don't mean to call you names, it was more a verb. I'm sorry for that.

We will see what happens. Hopefully the OBJ teams(like myself) setup enough good players to play without him. I would rather have him in my lineup for sure but hopefully my squad can get the job done without him.

dirtyjay needs to go watch Concussion when it comes out. He's still having trouble understanding what Beckham did wrong. Maybe he's been hit in the head a few times himself.
speaking of which, why hasn't Cody Wallace been suspended for making the same helmet-to-helmet hit after a play Sunday?
Asked and answered. It is pretty simple.
when and where? it's a 62-page thread so I may have missed it.
It was on the last page.

I will ask you this...Did you watch the game?
yeah, I quit reading a few pages ago somewhere around the counseling talk. and yes, I watch both games. The NYG/Car is maybe the most entertaining game I've seen in years.

so, I take it you guys think he's suspended for the entire game's worth of antics rather than just the blow to the head. got it. sometimes a question is just a question, guys. I saw the same play happen in 2 separate games with what looked like the same intent. one instance the media and others won't stop talking about it and the guy is suspended. the other gets a few mentions on Twitter.

just curious why one is apparently more egregious than the other.
Yes. That is my opinion. If you read the game thread, you can see a lot of people saying early on there should be ejections. I even condemn Norman, ODB and Wallace right after the Wallace play here. It became a fight, not a football game. Then when ODB went out of his way to hit Norman the way he did, with nothing but pure venom as his motivation, they had to take serious action.

The Wallace play was trash, but it was at least reactionary. The ODB play was part of a series of plays and was the culmination of a desire to injure. There is a huge difference.

I place a ton of blame on the officials and coaches here too. I kept saying to my friends and family during the game I could not believe they weren't both getting tossed. I would have loved to see Coughlin at any moment tell ODB he better #### and sit down because he is done for the day. I just couldnt believe what I was watching and it took away from what was a great game and probably would have been even better had those two acted like human beings instead of animals trying to mark their territory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting to see if his hunger strike stuff til commish resigns was actually said or someone making it up.

Even if you subscribe to the doesn't have to like his boss mindset, Commish can spin that around and say he's not fit to play if he's not eating. Make it an unhealthy suspension this week, hear appeal and suspend him from next week's game.

I am going off on a tangent but...I really don't think he should be antagonizing Goodell now.
what's this hunger strike talk about? Who's going on a hunger strike?
Whitlock claimed he said that. (See on his twitter)

It seemed to "die" today

Stay with me here-

Does anyone think the league uses the short week because fo Christmas as a way to push the suspension back until week 17?

The appeal gets heard today, tomorrow is XMas Eve and then the holiday weekend. They say suspension upheld Monday and he sits out Week 17 and everyone wins. Possible?

Giants keep him for one more important game.

NBC gets their star.

He still serves a game.

Betting world has him for Week 16.

DREAMS!

Stay with me here-

Does anyone think the league uses the short week because fo Christmas as a way to push the suspension back until week 17?

The appeal gets heard today, tomorrow is XMas Eve and then the holiday weekend. They say suspension upheld Monday and he sits out Week 17 and everyone wins. Possible?

Giants keep him for one more important game.

NBC gets their star.

He still serves a game.

Betting world has him for Week 16.

DREAMS!
I'm gonna send this to santa clause!! All I want for Christmas is ODB to play week 16.

And I'm dead f'n serious.

Been traveling and finally got to see the hit. Sure it's been rehashed a ton in here already but I'm stuck in the airport so what else am I going to so. Didn't get to see the rest that transpired during the game, just the shot at the head. Norman seems like a ##### and major trash talker from what little I know. WTF is with the bat? Enough #### talking going on carrying around a bat is probably not needed.

That being said there's no way OBJ should be playing this week. Anyone saying otherwise has him in their league or is a huge Giants homer. How does he not get kicked out of that game? If they let him play how are they ever suspended anyone moving forward? One of the bigger meltdowns I can think of in recent memory, especially by a league superstar. Probably forgetting others but can't think of any.

Randy Moss used to have meltdowns as well, but his were completely different: he would simply stop trying and become invisible out there.

Two issues here, his antics, which Norman was doing the exact same thing.

Norman, no suspension.

The other issue, lineman in Denver/Pitt game takes the same approach with a helmet to helmet hit.

Lineman, no suspension.

The league, and many in this thread, are hypocrites with their belief.

I dont believe anyone should be suspended for any hit in football. Helmet to helmet is OK with me, so is sticking out your leg to tackle someone and so is clothes lining them. I also like the body slam tackles and the horse collar tackles.

I do not like the after whistle pacman head banging into the ground and I do not like the eye poke from talib.

Did you guys against beckham go post in the pacman head bang thread?

Been traveling and finally got to see the hit. Sure it's been rehashed a ton in here already but I'm stuck in the airport so what else am I going to so. Didn't get to see the rest that transpired during the game, just the shot at the head. Norman seems like a ##### and major trash talker from what little I know. WTF is with the bat? Enough #### talking going on carrying around a bat is probably not needed.

That being said there's no way OBJ should be playing this week. Anyone saying otherwise has him in their league or is a huge Giants homer. How does he not get kicked out of that game? If they let him play how are they ever suspended anyone moving forward? One of the bigger meltdowns I can think of in recent memory, especially by a league superstar. Probably forgetting others but can't think of any.
Well, the good news is Beckham agreed to counseling for his anger management issue. It's a start. :thumbup:

Lets play guess Normans and Wallaces fine will be.

This would be Wallaces first fine at all and Normans first Unsportmanlike FIne (celebratiton and uniform prior)

This will be Odells second offense

VIOLATION

FIRST OFFENSE

SECOND OFFENSE

Offense Against Game Official

Physical Contact With Official

$28,940​
$57,881​
Verbal or Other Nonphysical Offense Against Official

$23,152​
$46,305​

Player Safety Rules and/or Flagrant Personal Foul (including, without limitation):

Suspension or fine; severity to be determined by degree of violation

(FINES LISTED ARE MINIMUMS).

Striking/Kicking/Kneeing

$8,681​
$17,363​
Horse-Collar Tackle

$17,363​
$34,728​
Face Mask

$8,681​
$17,363​
Leg Whip

$17,363​
$34,728​
Late Hit

$8,681​
$17,363​
Spearing

$23,152​
$46,305​
Impermissible Use of the Helmet (including illegal launching)

$23,152​
$46,305​
Hit on Defenseless Player

$23,152​
$46,305​
Blind-Side Block

$23,152​
$46,305​
Roughing the Passer

$17,363​
$34,728​
Low Block

$8,681​
$17,363​
Chop Block

$8,681​
$17,363​

Fighting

Fighting

$28,940​
$57,881​
Unnecessarily Entering Fight Area (active involvement)

$5,787​
$11,576​
Unnecessarily Entering Fight Area (no active involvement)

$2,893​
$8,681​

Sportsmanship

Excessive Profanity; Other Unsportsmanlike Conduct (e.g., toward opponent, game personnel, fans, etc.)

$11,576​
$23,152​
Taunting

$8,681​
$11,576​
Football Into Stands

$5,787​
$11,576​

Two issues here, his antics, which Norman was doing the exact same thing.

Norman, no suspension.

The other issue, lineman in Denver/Pitt game takes the same approach with a helmet to helmet hit.

Lineman, no suspension.

The league, and many in this thread, are hypocrites with their belief.

I dont believe anyone should be suspended for any hit in football. Helmet to helmet is OK with me, so is sticking out your leg to tackle someone and so is clothes lining them. I also like the body slam tackles and the horse collar tackles.

I do not like the after whistle pacman head banging into the ground and I do not like the eye poke from talib.

Did you guys against beckham go post in the pacman head bang thread?
Umm...he head hunted when it absolutely was not necessary.

It was not a regular helmet to helmet hit that is just like any hit in football.

Helmet to helmet is ok with you...because you don't have Billions riding on this...and are not facing scrutiny and lawsuits because of head injuries.

Page 60. C'mon salty OBJ owners. Get us to 100...YOU CAN DO IT
I'm an owner and I'm fine with him getting suspended. I can't stand the one-sided way the media is reporting it. It's outrageous. A man physically walks up to Beckham during pregame with a baseball bat, tells him he's going to end his career and gets within a yard of him. This isn't "spin", there is video evidence. Norman body slams Beckham and Norman also begins the play in which Beckham blind-sides him with a punch on the back of his helmet.

But is anyone in the league calling out Norman for punching Beckham? Not a word. It blows my mind. This should be a story of two guys that got out of hand, and somehow it's turned into "Beckham is a thug".
While I don't think Norman is innocent, that play had Odell throwing hands at Norman as he ran by.
I don't see that
imo, it appears that norman was countering a swing (and a miss) by odb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIhuIBa3Pa8
Hard to say. Either way, both crossed the line and should have been ejected.
Hard to say? Geez stop your whining for Odell. It was clear that Odell was about to hit him in the head like he'd been doing and Norman knew it was coming and shoved him by to get into the play. I own Odell too and could lose a lot of $$$ and I'm not whining like you. Oh a practice squad player had a bat. Oh they called me names. He looked like a chump and has his buddy tweeting for him. I lost a ton of respect for him.Funny also that you post about Deion and what he tried to do with young WRs and yet you think Norman did all the bad stuff. He's a top corner they try to get in WRs heads. They did easily in this case. Still doesn't take away that ridiculous hit and lack of ejection.

This feels like you guys just saw somebody fall on the ice, maybe you go check on them... "Oh, you're OK? Mind if we laugh at you now?"

All comes down to that helmet/sniper shot to me. If Josh Norman comes away from that with a broken jaw, or worse... probably singing a little different tune in here. And you know that could easily have happened and may even have been the intent.

Panthers no longer allowed to bring bats to the field.

Norman fined $26k for actions during Giants game.

‏@JarrettBell
Hearing that @Panthers corner Josh Norman fined $8,681 for face mask and $17,363 for striking in head/neck area for his actions Sunday.

Panthers no longer allowed to bring bats to the field.

Norman fined $26k for actions during Giants game.

‏@JarrettBell

Hearing that @Panthers corner Josh Norman fined $8,681 for face mask and $17,363 for striking in head/neck area for his actions Sunday.
Nice. He definitely played his part and deserves to be fined.

The Panthers should be fined as an organization for allowing baseball bats on the field. I still think the refs deserve some sort of punishment also.

The Panthers should be fined as an organization for allowing baseball bats on the field. I still think the refs deserve some sort of punishment also.
If they do that, they'd have to fine a lot of other teams. And there's nothing in the rules against it. Until now, the league just put an end to it this week. And rightfully so.

If they do that, they'd have to fine a lot of other teams. And there's nothing in the rules against it. Until now, the league just put an end to it this week. And rightfully so.
It's always been in the rules, the league sent a memo reminding teams. You can't have players walking around the opposing teams area with a baseball bat before a game. It sounds like Panther's coaches knew the bat was on the field, so fine them.

I thought somewhere in the rules that the opposing teams weren't allowed to cross beyond a certain yard line or come within a specified amount of yards of the other team during warm-ups. It was put in place several years back due to taunting and fights during warm-ups. I thought it was like they weren't supposed to cross the 30 yard line of their side of the field to warm up. If that's the case the Panther players violated that.

It's always been in the rules, the league sent a memo reminding teams. You can't have players walking around the opposing teams area with a baseball bat before a game. It sounds like Panther's coaches knew the bat was on the field, so fine them.
I've seen three pictures this week of other teams having a bat on the field during warmups, as well. I agree that the league should put an end to it. But they've never enforced it before, so they can't fine a team now unless they plan on going back and fining every team that ever did it previously.

Rule mentioned in Burfict article:

"Burfict was being physically assaulted, innocent as he is, accusations of impropriety cannot be made against Williams by physically confronting him on the other side of his team’s 50-yard line.

That’s sacred area. The Steelers, of all teams, will know that. Former linebacker Joey Porter (now the team’s linebackers coach) used to jaw at opposing teams during their warm-ups. The Steelers had that repaid to them by Warren Sapp, who, when with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, waltzed through their warm-up stretches.

The NFL made a rule against it. No player is allowed to cross the 50-yard line. Why Burfict wasn’t ejected — which is the punishment for violation of that very simple rule, is beyond even a casual observer — is another matter."

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2015/12/14/vontaze-burfict-started-the-fight-the-steelers-finished-it/

So, some Panther players should have been ejected before the game started?

I thought somewhere in the rules that the opposing teams weren't allowed to cross beyond a certain yard line or come within a specified amount of yards of the other team during warm-ups. It was put in place several years back due to taunting and fights during warm-ups. I thought it was like they weren't supposed to cross the 30 yard line of their side of the field to warm up. If that's the case the Panther players violated that.
There might be something in place, but you always see former teammates or off field friends standing around midfield shaking hands and talking. It's a rule, but one they've been lax on. When I go to live games, I'm always surprised by how much talking goes on between the teams.

Tynes - Odell Beckham Jr. 1 game suspension has been overturned. Beckham Jr. available for Sunday Night vs Vikings

Seems unlikely that former Giants kicker Lawrence Tynes would be the one to break the news though.

Here I've been following guys like Mortenson, Schefter, and Rapoport for no reason. Lawrence Tynes is the man with the scoops.

Ah......hate it when I'm right.
An overturn was always a possibility, but please save your "i'm right".. For one, we still do not know and even if it was overturned, it's not because a vast NFL conspiracy to help the NYG make the playoffs. The Giants might be eliminated before they even kick off.

Marcus Ball said he would be the reason Odell wouldn't play that day and other days according to punter Brad Wing #Giants

Brad Wing: It was a legitimate threat ... he was on our side of the field #Giants

Odell was yelling at Ball: 'Why are you not playing?' According to Wing. OBJ offered to shake Ball's hand.

An overturn was always a possibility, but please save your "i'm right".. For one, we still do not know and even if it was overturned, it's not because a vast NFL conspiracy to help the NYG make the playoffs. The Giants might be eliminated before they even kick off.
If it's overturned it's because of the bat and gay slurs. IMO if they are going to suspend ODBjr they have to do the same to Norman.

If it's overturned it's because of the bat and gay slurs. IMO if they are going to suspend ODBjr they have to do the same to Norman.
This but as an Odell owner I'm not holding my breath. He deserves any suspension he gets...his actions were embarrassing no matter what the Panthers were saying to him. I'll gladly take an overturn though.

Well and it's a first offence. Suh stomped a guy, with a long rap sheet as a dirty player, and didn't get suspended. And as mentioned, it's hard to suspend one guy for launching and not the other for swinging. Both deserved to be ejected/suspended - it's all or nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread