What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., MIA (2 Viewers)

I'm not trying to brag but I'm pretty good at reading tea leaves.  Called Jamaal Charles making the team after the coach said he needed to play well in preseason week 3 to make team.  I actually think he'll have the better game tonight and for the season.  Called this OBJ injury as 'not that serious' minutes after it happened and all the drama since, including him sitting out practices and being doubtfull/GTD tonight, seems like obvious gamesmanship by the Giants to me.  I can't predict the future but the games seem obvious to me at least.  He's playing and he'll be involved heavily.
Apparently those weren't tea leaves. Might want to try smoking them.

Hey-oh!

Shep in your lineups asap! Dang, did not expect him to be inactive through all the smoke out there. Was a fire underneath after all. I was totally fooled by his drama.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not trying to brag but I'm pretty good at reading tea leaves.  Called Jamaal Charles making the team after the coach said he needed to play well in preseason week 3 to make team.  I actually think he'll have the better game tonight and for the season.  Called this OBJ injury as 'not that serious' minutes after it happened and all the drama since, including him sitting out practices and being doubtfull/GTD tonight, seems like obvious gamesmanship by the Giants to me.  I can't predict the future but the games seem obvious to me at least.  He's playing and he'll be involved heavily.
I will admit this was some decent schtick

LOL

You are now blessed, my son!

The drama made me bite. It left me tasting crow, yuck. lol
the drama was over the top. 

i didn't like the way the hit looked. 

its some type of ligament sprain.  

may still be a week or two. 

hope he's back soon. 

Jed said:
Totally.  I got this wrong.  What tipped the scales for me to complete confidence was a note by one of the guys on NFLN who said OBJ is certain to be healthy for week 2.  Seemed like an odd statement since he was a GTD at the time of the comment.  Anyways, yeah, I'll own it for sure.  One of my FF teams paid the price for my over confidence too.

I'm trying to find the video of him cutting during pre-game warm-ups that SNF showed him grimacing.   If he plays this week, I'm guessing decoy or limited snap count.  I almost hope he sits.

Totally.  I got this wrong.  What tipped the scales for me to complete confidence was a note by one of the guys on NFLN who said OBJ is certain to be healthy for week 2.  Seemed like an odd statement since he was a GTD at the time of the comment.  Anyways, yeah, I'll own it for sure.  One of my FF teams paid the price for my over confidence too.
Please don't hate me Brother.. I really wanted too believe the "injury" was just like Coach games..  "Go ahead practice, like theres no Stud WR, too watch for" OR whatever it is Coach's play, about who will/wont play.  BUT, Isn't this next game sorta difference between being a Stud or not?  I mean he did fly too game.  Shouldn't OBJ (if active, ugh) play a real game?

Serious Question, because I happily had already moved from bn..  I read your post, and thinking mistake (maybe, Big Time)

Worst part (off subject) BB > Big Blue already showed cards.  They can game all they care, and still WIN the SB..

Not that as a Coach, I would find simple pleasure in knowing hard work my foe went through for nothing

Giants might have to bring him back too soon to use just as a decoy, because without the threat of him their playoff odds are fast going in the toilet.  I'm not going to play him in my leagues this week even if he's active.

Anyone else selling low? High-ankle sprains are never quick heals and will linger badly if he trys to play through it.  OBJ is not a dominate force type player that can jump up and get red-zone targets... his elite play revolves around his agile-ness.

I drafted him at 1.05 right before this injury and have been looking to trade him since then ... at this point I would take a straight up trade for any in the Doug Baldwin-tier of WRs. But I've gotten rejected a lot.  

Anyone else selling low? High-ankle sprains are never quick heals and will linger badly if he trys to play through it.  OBJ is not a dominate force type player that can jump up and get red-zone targets... his elite play revolves around his agile-ness.

I drafted him at 1.05 right before this injury and have been looking to trade him since then ... at this point I would take a straight up trade for any in the Doug Baldwin-tier of WRs. But I've gotten rejected a lot.  
No.  Just don't do it and thank yourself later.

I might be able to get Jordy in a package but for some reason I can't do it.  I took him 1.6 the week after this happen.  I should have taken Evans.

Luckily I have Cooper, Fitzgerald, Tate, Watkins until OBJ comes back. (Start 1-3 a week)

I might be able to get Jordy in a package but for some reason I can't do it.  I took him 1.6 the week after this happen.  I should have taken Evans.

Luckily I have Cooper, Fitzgerald, Tate, Watkins until OBJ comes back. (Start 1-3 a week)
I doubt it. I was declined very quickly when I tried to get Jordy. I offered him a RB upgrade as well. 

I think people are being a little too rosy in this thread. There are many, many cases of early-season high-ankle sprains derailing productive seasons.  

My guess is he's going to be startable but disappointing from weeks 3-forward and finishes something like WR20.  But that's just my opinion.

I doubt it. I was declined very quickly when I tried to get Jordy. I offered him a RB upgrade as well. 

I think people are being a little too rosy in this thread. There are many, many cases of early-season high-ankle sprains derailing productive seasons.  

My guess is he's going to be startable but disappointing from weeks 3-forward and finishes something like WR20.  But that's just my opinion.
He offered me Jordy in a package for OBJ earlier this week.

FBG's hasn't dropped him on the top 200 going forward.

OBJ WR4  - 249.5 points going forward.

Jordy WR5 - 233.5 points going forward.

It does have OBJ projected for 16.1 this week and Jordy 16.8

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, there is "a lot of optimism" Odell Beckham (ankle) will play against the Lions in Week 2.

Rapsheet said Beckham "pushed to play" Sunday night in Dallas but obviously couldn't get the green light. However, it looks like he has a much better chance of suiting up this week against the Lions on Monday Night Football. New York's offense was completely stagnant without him in Week 1, producing just three points and 233 yards from scrimmage.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Odell Beckham (ankle) is practicing on Thursday.

It is his first work since spraining his ankle in the second preseason game. Beckham likely will be listed as limited, but even that in the first practice of the week is a good indication he will be ready to go on Monday night. The Giants' offense certainly needs him.

Source: Jordan Raanan on Twitter 

Sep 14 - 12:00 PM

Want to join my leagues?

Are you crazy? OBJ is a generation type talent. Don't trade him for Baldwin types. Cover his time missed and reap the rewards when he comes back. Dude is one of the three baddest WRs in the league

Ralph Vacchiano ✔@RVacchianoSNY

Odell Beckham just said he was told he'd need 6-8 weeks to recover from his sprained ankle.

1:13 PM - Sep 14, 2017
I mean just one week ago when he did LIGHT cutting on SNF warmups he was in noticeable pain.  This seems correct. He's going to test it and reset the process back to square one.

Ralph Vacchiano ✔@RVacchianoSNY

Odell Beckham just said he was told he'd need 6-8 weeks to recover from his sprained ankle.

1:13 PM - Sep 14, 2017
Just watched his interview on NFL Live.  He seemed uncertain and confused about the timeline and more than a bit disheartened with the way the rehab process is dragging on. Even after the interview, the panel were unsure of whether Odell was correct about his timeline. He was kinda all over the place in the interview and I'd expect either him or the team to walk back what he said and reaffirm that 4 week timeframe they already asserted. 

Edit: Whether that's because he truly is on a 4 week recovery timeframe or because they're gaming their opponents to force them to gameplan for OBJ... who knows. 

Want to join my leagues?

Are you crazy? OBJ is a generation type talent. Don't trade him for Baldwin types. Cover his time missed and reap the rewards when he comes back. Dude is one of the three baddest WRs in the league
I'm talking re-draft only. It was just updated he was told 6-8 weeks to fully recover. It seems perfectly reasonable (and probably a lot smarter) to trade for a 100% healthy low WR1 instead of waiting on a frustrating/hurt OBJ.  Not sure what the hell you are talking about ... but keep dreaming he's going to be fine next week.

I'm dumping him. And I'll come back here and eat crow if I'm wrong.  Predicting right now he finishes outside the top WR15 this year. Mark it down.

I'm talking re-draft only. It was just updated he was told 6-8 weeks to fully recover. It seems perfectly reasonable (and probably a lot smarter) to trade for a 100% healthy low WR1 instead of waiting on a frustrating/hurt OBJ.  Not sure what the hell you are talking about ... but keep dreaming he's going to be fine next week.

I'm dumping him. And I'll come back here and eat crow if I'm wrong.  Predicting right now he finishes outside the top WR15 this year. Mark it down.
He was 5th overall his rookie year when he missed the first 4 games with a bad hammy.

He was 5th overall his rookie year when he missed the first 4 games with a bad hammy.
Good point!

But the injuries are not the same. I'm astonished at how people are disregarding this injury. There have been dozens of examples of WRs who have had seasons tanked because of lingering high-ankle sprains. Davante Adams in 2015 is one example... his efficiency and production were complete garbage despite starting 15 games because he tried to play through it.  He had nearly 100 targets because Jordy was gone, too. He should have thrived. But he couldn't get even 50 catches. Brandon Marshall crashed and burned in 2015 going from 1400 to 700 yards because he had a high-ankle sprain the second half of the season.  These are not bounce-back injuries.

I stand by my prediction.

Which players are you targeting when you're looking to dump him? Even if he's out another month, I don't care as long as he waits until he's healthy to come back, so I'm trying to package my Hopkins for a buddy's OBJ. It's a little risky, but I don't mind betting on a player of OBJ's caliber.

Which players are you targeting when you're looking to dump him? Even if he's out another month, I don't care as long as he waits until he's healthy to come back, so I'm trying to package my Hopkins for a buddy's OBJ. It's a little risky, but I don't mind betting on a player of OBJ's caliber.
I don't think he waits personally. I think he's visibly frustrated by the rehab process and will try to play on it.   I however am too stubborn to try getting Jordy in a package.  The Jordy owner routinely puts Jordy in every package with OBJ in it. 

Would snap accept any of Baldwin, Cooper, Michael Thomas, Jordy.  Or even add a small RB upgrade for the other person to get one of those four.   I doubt I'll get any takers, though.

Be sure to let me know what you are dumping him for..... 

DJ owner here, would you guys trade ODB for Bell in a keeper league with ODB having an 8th round keeper status for next year (6th round year after that, 4th round after that, and so on)?  Lev would be a first round keeper.....

Corey Davis missing camp and showing up and doing well anyway clearly reminded him to be annoying with injuries again

Outside the top 15 seems unlikely unless he is out past week 5.  I came out of the draft thinking he had a good chance to miss the first 2 weeks, so for me, I'm still in a hold pattern.  That would be on pace with the 6 weeks recovery time period I was estimating (no doctor, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night)  I was guessing 4 weeks to start playing ,and another 2 to be back in +90% healed.  I get maybe trading for the likes of Jordy, but I think Michael Smith/Baldwin/Cooper straight up (reference to your other post)  is selling short.

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, there is "a lot of optimism" Odell Beckham (ankle) will play against the Lions in Week 2.

Rapsheet said Beckham "pushed to play" Sunday night in Dallas but obviously couldn't get the green light. However, it looks like he has a much better chance of suiting up this week against the Lions on Monday Night Football. New York's offense was completely stagnant without him in Week 1, producing just three points and 233 yards from scrimmage.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Odell Beckham (ankle) is practicing on Thursday.

It is his first work since spraining his ankle in the second preseason game. Beckham likely will be listed as limited, but even that in the first practice of the week is a good indication he will be ready to go on Monday night. The Giants' offense certainly needs him.

Sep 14 - 12:00 PM
How did we go from this to being out 6-8 weeks so quickly?

ESPN's Jordan Raanan reports Odell Beckham (ankle) is trending toward playing Monday night against the Lions.

This falls in line with most reports on Beckham's status. The Giants don't release their injury report until Saturday, but Beckham looks likely to play after sitting out last week. The bigger concern with Beckham is how much of a role he'll have at less than 100 percent. Beckham is shaping up as a high-risk WR1 for Week 2.

Sep 15 - 5:28 PM

Odell Beckham (ankle) is questionable for Week 2.

Beckham was limited all week, but the expectation is he will be able to play on Monday night. Fantasy owners still should have an emergency plan in place, but Beckham's upside means he has to be in lineups if active. Even with the injury concerns, Beckham is RotoPat's No. 8 receiver this week.

lol, Monday night emergency plan.. Hope he goes off for ya guys, dudes on my bn (thinking weaker comp 4me this week) Ooops.

Users who are viewing this thread