What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., MIA (1 Viewer)

figures as soon as he starts lighting it up, as expected, he plays SEA at home

I cant start him in this matchup... Eli is absolutely brutal, the oline is atrocious, and it wont end well on the west coast.

Im pretty pissed about this.

Also - anyone noticed how HARD eli is locking on to a receiver now after the snap - never looks around the field before a pass, he sets his sights, and fires a shot. defenses are licking their chops.

I cant start him in this matchup... Eli is absolutely brutal, the oline is atrocious, and it wont end well on the west coast.

Also - anyone noticed how HARD eli is locking on to a receiver now after the snap - never looks around the field before a pass, he sets his sights, and fires a shot. defenses are licking their chops.
I was shocked by this. The rush is definitely impacting him. I thought Beckham probably could have caught 20 balls yesterday but half the time he was not even looked at.

I was shocked by this. The rush is definitely impacting him. I thought Beckham probably could have caught 20 balls yesterday but half the time he was not even looked at.
Pretty confident it's because Eli doesn't trust his WRs at this point. Randle seems like he's 50/50 to be in the right spot. Parker couldn't catch last night. Eli may feel his has to stare them down to make sure he doesn't throw it right to the other team. Eli has thrown 1 interception since week 2. Yes, you read that right.

I think Eli, while not perfect by any means, is playing pretty good football. His line has been somewhere between OK and brutal. Since Jennings got hurt, there is no running game, and I've already mentioned the WRs. As they mentioned on the broadcast last night, there's only a few faces in that huddle that were there last year. Add in a whole new offense and footwork for Eli too. On pace for 65% completions, 3864/32/10.

Oakland and rookie Carr held their own yesterday in Seattle -- hard to sit OBJ
The only receiver that was startable was the TE, Rivera, who had 38yds and 2 TDs. Every single WR was a dumpster fire. Oakland held their own overall, but the stats do not paint a rosy picture for OBJ and the Giant passing game. The caution is warranted.

Pretty confident it's because Eli doesn't trust his WRs at this point. Randle seems like he's 50/50 to be in the right spot. Parker couldn't catch last night. Eli may feel his has to stare them down to make sure he doesn't throw it right to the other team. Eli has thrown 1 interception since week 2. Yes, you read that right.

I think Eli, while not perfect by any means, is playing pretty good football. His line has been somewhere between OK and brutal. Since Jennings got hurt, there is no running game, and I've already mentioned the WRs. As they mentioned on the broadcast last night, there's only a few faces in that huddle that were there last year. Add in a whole new offense and footwork for Eli too. On pace for 65% completions, 3864/32/10.
However, he's less than 10% on the year for passes over 20 yds.

Might have to start him in my flex spot this week. Not ideal, but seeing him out there on the pitch he just looks so slick and polished already with some serious speed. The Seahawks haven't been quite as formidable at home this season.

This one is gonna go back in forth in my mind all week no doubt.

I noticed this too. It's like he locks on to the WR the play was designed for instead of reading progressions. Eli is soooo damn terrible. But people will just see what he did in garbage time. I'd say Derek Carr is a better QB at this point than Eli.

I noticed this too. It's like he locks on to the WR the play was designed for instead of reading progressions. Eli is soooo damn terrible. But people will just see what he did in garbage time. I'd say Derek Carr is a better QB at this point than Eli.
This kind of stuff just blows my mind. Do you really think Eli, a 2 time Superbowl winning QB, a guy that has started 161 games in his career, suddenly doesn't know how to go through his progressions? Or is it just possible that he's dealing with a known bad route runner in Randle, a rookie in OBJ, a new to the Giants journeyman in Preston Parker, and a guy that's really playing for the first time in Larry Donnell? Those are his main targets. Plus his oline is intermittently terrible.

For some reason its fashionable to bash Eli. I just don't get it. On pace for 65% completions, 3864/32/10 despite the talent around him.

This kind of stuff just blows my mind. Do you really think Eli, a 2 time Superbowl winning QB, a guy that has started 161 games in his career, suddenly doesn't know how to go through his progressions? Or is it just possible that he's dealing with a known bad route runner in Randle, a rookie in OBJ, a new to the Giants journeyman in Preston Parker, and a guy that's really playing for the first time in Larry Donnell? Those are his main targets. Plus his oline is intermittently terrible.

For some reason its fashionable to bash Eli. I just don't get it. On pace for 65% completions, 3864/32/10 despite the talent around him.
I see where you're going with this.... but regardless of these factors, WHY is he still not moving his head? Regardless of the factors you listed above, EVERY qb should be scanning the field for more than his first option, unless of course it's an instant slant pass (which trust me, they arent)

He gets the snap, is already staring at the guy hes going to throw to, waits 2-3sec for the route to be run and fires the pass... infuriating

I see where you're going with this.... but regardless of these factors, WHY is he still not moving his head? Regardless of the factors you listed above, EVERY qb should be scanning the field for more than his first option, unless of course it's an instant slant pass (which trust me, they arent)

He gets the snap, is already staring at the guy hes going to throw to, waits 2-3sec for the route to be run and fires the pass... infuriating
Likely a couple of reasons.

The prime directive in this offseason for Eli was to throw less INTs. They brought in a whole new offense. Something Eli has never run before, and asked him to completely change his footwork too. Last year the number of INTs that Eli threw while targeting Rueben Randle was off the charts high. Randle isn't a consistent route runner, and if you are looking off a safety until the last second you are more throwing to a spot rather than a player. Randle made Eli look foolish last year on a number of occasions. This year, Eli likely feels he needs to see it before he'll throw it. Aaron Rodgers talks about it all the time on his radio show. You have to trust a guy to be in the right spot. Everyone of Eli's targets at the moment is either new, or untrustworthy.

This is a temporary problem. Likely to be solved next year when he's got Cruz back, and a full season with OBJ and Donnell as his main targets. He'll also be a lot more comfortable with this new offense etc.

There are two lines of thought here. A precision timing route needs the QB to lock onto his WR to throw at the exact moment to hit his WR in stride or precisely when he comes open, especially in man coverage. I have seen the best in the business, P. Manning, Brady, Rodgers, etc. lock on in certain situations where they know the coverage already dictates a high percentage throw to one guy as the best option. Eli might be locking on for other reasons, but locking on to a WR in an of itself isn't a bad thing. Certain plays call for it.

Where we run into trouble is when a rookie or middling journeyman locks on every play or in zone coverage where 2 or 3 defenders will be in the area or cheat to the area he is looking to. If its man to man coverage you can lock on all day to the plus matchup because everybody is busy running with the receivers, bracketing to the other side or blitzing.

The prime directive in this offseason for Eli was to throw less INTs. They brought in a whole new offense. Something Eli has never run before, and asked him to completely change his footwork too. Last year the number of INTs that Eli threw while targeting Rueben Randle was off the charts high. Randle isn't a consistent route runner, and if you are looking off a safety until the last second you are more throwing to a spot rather than a player. Randle made Eli look foolish last year on a number of occasions. This year, Eli likely feels he needs to see it before he'll throw it. Aaron Rodgers talks about it all the time on his radio show. You have to trust a guy to be in the right spot. Everyone of Eli's targets at the moment is either new, or untrustworthy.

This is a temporary problem. Likely to be solved next year when he's got Cruz back, and a full season with OBJ and Donnell as his main targets. He'll also be a lot more comfortable with this new offense etc.
Again, all good trains of thought... and partially I agree.

But how could he not trust ODB? To be honest, ODB is making Eli look good. plucking balls that most WRs would drop. running routes most rookies cant run.... Randle, while not a great WR, is a decent WR2 and shouldnt be seen as a hindrance to Eli as such.

His INTs are wayyyyyyy down, in that respect he looks very good. His oline isnt doing his favors, also agreed. But he just does NOT look comfortable, and often looks lost. We see guys like brady, who despite being thrown in a den w rookies and scrubs, rarely, id ever, looks that way.

Eli is not Brady. Sure. But he's a 2 time SB winner, and as such, should look much better than he does right now

But how could he not trust ODB? To be honest, ODB is making Eli look good. plucking balls that most WRs would drop. running routes most rookies cant run.... Randle, while not a great WR, is a decent WR2 and shouldnt be seen as a hindrance to Eli as such.

His INTs are wayyyyyyy down, in that respect he looks very good. His oline isnt doing his favors, also agreed. But he just does NOT look comfortable, and often looks lost. We see guys like brady, who despite being thrown in a den w rookies and scrubs, rarely, id ever, looks that way.

Eli is not Brady. Sure. But he's a 2 time SB winner, and as such, should look much better than he does right now
Brady has run one offensive system his entire career to the best of my knowledge. Everything Eli has known since his college days is now different. It takes time. Andy Reid once said it takes 5 years to really learn the WCO for a QB. Of course he was talking about McNabb at the time. Eli is 8 games in, and has a bunch of new players, sketchy line.

Sorry for the tangent here on the OBJ discussion. I bought OBJ stock everywhere I could. I think he's gonna be fantastic. Better version of Greg Jennings, which is saying something.

Brady has run one offensive system his entire career to the best of my knowledge. Everything Eli has known since his college days is now different. It takes time. Andy Reid once said it takes 5 years to really learn the WCO for a QB. Of course he was talking about McNabb at the time. Eli is 8 games in, and has a bunch of new players, sketchy line.

Sorry for the tangent here on the OBJ discussion. I bought OBJ stock everywhere I could. I think he's gonna be fantastic. Better version of Greg Jennings, which is saying something.
I like the better Jennings comp... Jennings makes everything look so effortless. OBD Jr does the same, with a bit more suddenness to him.

ETA: I'm on the fence about him this week, leaning towards starting him. I think he could give even the SEA secondary problems... As others have said, it's Manning I'm concerned with though.

Last edited by a moderator:

you have forgotten all the chatter from last year and earlier this year? Brady was talked about as inaccurate and past his prime. he's fixed it, obviously, with reliable and capable targets like Gronk edelman, and even lafell. but still, he was struggling some recently.

Beckham is a rookie that missed almost all of training camp with injury and didn’t start practicing until week 4 or 5 so I can understand why he might not have Eli’s trust despite being so talented

I like OBJ. ODB just doesn't fit him - he isn't old. He's definitely dirty in a good way... we could call him YBJ for Young Dirty *******, but OBJ gets my vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's OBJ... its Odell Beckham Jr. 3 names gets its own letter. Not ODell Beckham Jr.
It's more a throwback to Ol' Dirty ******* than a literal reference to his name.
So you call him a nickname of ODB that doesn't actually reference his name?
It references his name pretty well.
I refuse to lose this pointless little "argument" over his abbreviated name ha. It's quite simple that you just take the first letter of each name of his = OBJ. ODB just looks like oddball to me and I can't stand it. I'll call him OBJ, and scream at myself in my head when I see "ODB". Problem solved.

It's OBJ... its Odell Beckham Jr. 3 names gets its own letter. Not ODell Beckham Jr.
It's more a throwback to Ol' Dirty ******* than a literal reference to his name.
So you call him a nickname of ODB that doesn't actually reference his name?
It references his name pretty well.
I refuse to lose this pointless little "argument" over his abbreviated name ha. It's quite simple that you just take the first letter of each name of his = OBJ. ODB just looks like oddball to me and I can't stand it. I'll call him OBJ, and scream at myself in my head when I see "ODB". Problem solved.
when I hear OB... I picture a woman telling me she's going to see the Gyno.

So, no... OBJ doesnt work for me. All ODB, all day

anyway........anybody concerned about his ability to put up these numbers consistently? I love his talent and route running ability, but Eli has been horrible on passes over 20 yds deep.

Eli hasn't been horrible on the deep ball. Watch the games. Either he doesn't throw many because his line doesn't give him time. Or the receivers run the wrong route or drop the ball. Anyways I think Beckham will be the one bright spot for the giants this week.

Eli hasn't been horrible on the deep ball. Watch the games. Either he doesn't throw many because his line doesn't give him time. Or the receivers run the wrong route or drop the ball. Anyways I think Beckham will be the one bright spot for the giants this week.
Admittedly, haven't watched a lot of the Giants games this year. Just going off the stats. Less than 10% for passes over 20yds. Passes over 20 yds are hard to blame the WR on running the wrong route. I could see that argument on hitches, hot routes, slants, etc. But deep passes should mean the WR is already well into a defined direction and it's more on the QB to put the ball where it needs to be.

The line not giving him enough time doesn't change the fact that the deep ball isn't there.

I don't have any stats but just watching the last game, it seemed he doesn't trust his receivers to outfight the DB for the ball. He tries for perfect placement and, more times than not, throws the ball in a location where neither can get it. Either that or his accuracy is just awful.

The great thing about ODB is that Randle is awful and there's not much after him. You have to think Beckham is going to get a lot of targets the rest of the way.

This.
You are the Rhythmdoctor and you say this?......ODB is what it is.....Shimmy Shimmy Ya!

On a side note...Sherman shuts him down but Beckham is soon to be a beast.
Sherman only plays the right side of the field. He isn't a shadow CB.
This.
You are the Rhythmdoctor and you say this?......ODB is what it is.....Shimmy Shimmy Ya!

I don't think it matters....Sherman will play against the Off biggest threat.....Randle?lol....Donnell? not likely. ODB? you betcha

This.

This.

I don't think it matters....Sherman will play against the Off biggest threat.....Randle?lol....Donnell? not likely. ODB? you betcha
Sorry, but this is just flat out wrong. Sherman is NOT a shadow CB. He strictly plays the same side of the field. Seattle does not scheme this way and has never used Sherman in any other way. Always lines up on the same side of the field. Doesn't matter if he's playing Calvin Johnson. If Johnson is on the left, Sherman is still on the right.

Users who are viewing this thread