What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Puka Nacua LAR (1 Viewer)

I always spend early. This Has literally won me championships

Alfred Morris (spent $100 after week 1)
Antonio Brown (year 2 I believe ?)
Josh Gordon
Jordan Howard
James Robinson
Kenneth Walker (spent $100)

I look at the first 3 weeks of the season as the most important on the waiver wire. There are always guys the “experts” miss or the coaches have kept quiet to unleash. You gotta Go big or go home

If I can’t recover from spending some FAAB money then that means I drafted poorly, or have too many injuries. Either way there are always pick ups from Wednesday to Sunday with injuries and updates

Spend the Monopoly money 💰
Walker didn’t win you a championship.

I will say, if you have a big hole in a flex spot right now, with no good options, go get him. He could shore that up short term (SF this week could be tough, but if he gets 10+ targets and some garbage…). Will be expensive though.

And if Kupp is out long term it could be tremendous value.

I’m not spending it because the cost isn’t worth it for me right now. But there are certainly situations where it could be.
That flex spot is my exact dilemma as a Taylor and Kamara owner. Puka might be a nice addition for the next month until those guys come back. I'm raising my investment as the clock ticks. Up fro 20 to 30. Ha ha

I will say, if you have a big hole in a flex spot right now, with no good options, go get him. He could shore that up short term (SF this week could be tough, but if he gets 10+ targets and some garbage…). Will be expensive though.

I’m not spending it because the cost isn’t worth it for me right now. But there are certainly situations where it could be.
To be fair, (to be faaaaaaaiiiiiir)

I don’t think you’re saying anything unreasonable here.

As with all claims there’s risk/reward.

I always try to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. My worst case scenario here is 3 weeks of FF WR2 production, then a weekly flex-worthy dart throw, assuming Kupp plays the ROS without issue.

The best-case scenarios have been laid out pretty well by others.

And you’re right - he’s gonna be expensive. Fortunately it’s not real money. lol

That flex spot is my exact dilemma as a Taylor and Kamara owner. Puka might be a nice addition for the next month until those guys come back. I'm raising my investment as the clock ticks. Up fro 20 to 30. Ha ha
Love it in that spot. Kamara is going to be one of the steals of the draft. If Thomas stays on the field Kamara will put up RB1 numbers on a ppg basis. I still think he ends up top 15 overall missing 3 games.

I don’t know how others think about roster management but I do think it’s VERY important to build a team that can survive 1-2-3 serious injuries over a season and still make the playoffs and win a head-to-head championship. From that perspective, a player like Nacua COULD BE of interest to anyone except those with the deepest WR corps. It’s pretty rare for me to have a team with three players that are WR1 quality. However, it’s common for me to three players that are RB1 quality as I prioritize draft picks or auction dollars to have the best RB corps in my league. AND I’m always looking to shore up my bench just in case as I’m definitely going to suffer one or two serious injuries to my best players some seasons. That’s just how the cookie crumbles sometime.

And there’s always the block.

Whether ya need him or not, better to have him blowing up your bench than beating you in someone else’s lineup.

What’s that worth in % of FAAB or priority?

Yeah that‘s a good yet advanced point. I don’t know how many others think about it. I’ll admit that at this point in the season, I’m just looking to improve my team. But when the playoffs get down to the semi-finals and championship game, I’ll contort my roster to block another team from finding a good spot starter against me. The best example was maybe 20 years ago when I picked up the Steelers on waivers before the championship game and put them on my bench. I probably dropped my QB2 as I no longer needed a backup. The other team needed a DT that week and I beat them to the “best” available. The Steelers DT had a big week 17 and that would’ve given my opponent the margin of victory too. I asked them about it and they said they had put in for the Steelers but I got them.

Really torn on the pick-up. Have pretty decent wr's, but we start 3. I'm worried about Garrett Wilson, so Puka would be insurance. Would need to drop Roschon to pick him up. Another WW darling and potentially longer term play.

Interesting tweet

Pat Fitzmaurice
@Fitz_FF

Why Puka Nacua is THE priority waiver add, aside from his eye-opening usage and acing of the eye test: Opportunities to pick up good WRs in-season are rare. Obscure RBs will fall ***-backward into high-usage roles all season. Good WRs on waivers are unicorns. Go catch one.

Playing in a new league with some co-workers with FAAB so I have NO IDEA what everyone is gonna bid for this guy.

I have Kupp, so I could certainly use the potential short-term cover. But I also have some ok WR depth (in a league where you only NEED to start 2) so I dont think it makes sense to blow 40% of my budget on this guy after 1 game.

Put in a bid but I would imagine SOMEONE believes the hype, spends a bunch of $$ and takes him. And I'd be ok with that. If someone wants to spend $50 on a week 1 pickup, I'm ok with missing out.

I lost this week by less than a point. .8 to be exact. Bass kicking that boink field goal at the end of regulation got me. I switched my lineup from Dallas Goedert to Jayden Reed right before the kickoff of the late games as a Hail Mary move because I felt I needed the high-ceiling play. I tell you this because it was between Puka and Jayden. So, yeah go get Puka this week.

I just watched the highlights. Like four slants and the others were free releases where he sat down in zones. He had that one nice catch.

I'm not in on this guy. Only in fantasy does this guy seem really relevant. Tutu Atwell had a monster day, too. I'm not buying that.

Nacua's athletic testing is so subpar that you'd win a golf tournament with how below par it is.

Watch me be totally wrong. McVay sure will force feed a guy and make him relevant, so there's also that.

He's not better than anyone I have in the league I'm in where he's available. I have Higgins, Diggs, Aiyuk, Rashid Shaheed, Kendrick Bourne, and Jaxon Smith-Njigba.

I can't justify cutting any of them for him.

My big dilemma is cutting Cam Akers for Kyren Williams. I can't do that, either. I think Akers is better than Williams by a good deal. Williams runs like a 4.7 at his size. Truly epically awful.

I'm out on these Rams.

I'm also out on the Seahawks if they let this team do that to them. Puca Nacua no doubt.

The other big thing is this year he has looked great. He may see some goal line work. He can also catch passes. Kellen Moore said early on in the off-season that he wanted to use another RB to compliment Ekeler. Kelley has absolutely taken those words and "ran" with them so far.
Was their some indication from the coach or staff saying that Kelley may see some goal line work? Thanks.

Ekeler is already banged up, which is I wish he wasn't because now you have to pay even more for Kelley
How banged up is Ekeler? Thanks.

I just watched the highlights. Like four slants and the others were free releases where he sat down in zones. He had that one nice catch.

I'm not in on this guy. Only in fantasy does this guy seem really relevant. Tutu Atwell had a monster day, too. I'm not buying that.

Nacua's athletic testing is so subpar that you'd win a golf tournament with how below par it is.

Watch me be totally wrong. McVay sure will force feed a guy and make him relevant, so there's also that.
I really appreciate the feedback on this thread, well done. As a result I adjusted my faab 100 times today with a high of 60 of my 100. In the end. I closed my eyes. Processed all the feeback. Then God spoke to me. I decided to pull out all my bids and go after Kyren instead at what should be half the price. Don't attack me. I'm exhausted and to weak to overcome it. I'll be cheering for the guy. Gotta love the Polynesian boys. Shoots braddah.

Gotta love the Polynesian boys

To be fair about his athleticism, he is so big and weighs enough to get a 99.6 athleticism score at Player Profiler. But the measurements and their corresponding percentage ranks go like this

40 - 4.62 (25th)
Speed Score - 93.5 (51st)
Burst Score - 116.6 (25th)
Agility Score - 11.68 (11th)
Catch Radius - 9.80 (18th)

That's not that good.

Noooooooooo

Who ya got? Akers or Williams?

I have Akers, even with the showing against Seattle and McVay's propensity to stuff him in his doghouse.

I’ve got Akers but dumping a pre-season high ranked RB after one game is just WAY too soon. I’d need to see some bad games or an actual serious injury to part with Akers on anyone else. He had 22 carries Sunday! If he had one long TD run because a defender slipped we wouldn’t be concerned with him in the slightest.

The other big thing is this year he has looked great. He may see some goal line work. He can also catch passes. Kellen Moore said early on in the off-season that he wanted to use another RB to compliment Ekeler. Kelley has absolutely taken those words and "ran" with them so far.
Was their some indication from the coach or staff saying that Kelley may see some goal line work? Thanks.

Ekeler is already banged up, which is I wish he wasn't because now you have to pay even more for Kelley

If you think those are comparable then spend away
I don’t know that yet. But I know what I saw. He was targeted 15 times, caught 10, including contested catches, and has the trust of Stafford as a result. And for 3 more weeks he’s probably a WR1.

as such, I believe he’s worth the add if one needs WR help.

And I believe someone will spend between 40-50%

Those are the things I know.

I didn’t know whether Hollywood or TMc would have longevity either. One did. One sorta did.

The situation is similar. The results, TBD (as always)
WR1? Wtf? You can't name 12 wrs you'd rather have than him over the next 3 weeks?

I’ve got Akers but dumping a pre-season high ranked RB after one game is just WAY too soon. I’d need to see some bad games or an actual serious injury to part with Akers on anyone else. He had 22 carries Sunday! If he had one long TD run because a defender slipped we wouldn’t be concerned with him in the slightest.

Oh yeah. It's way too soon to dump a sixth rounder. I think I got a little caught up in hearing the "sell this guy" and "drop this guy" drumbeat coming from everybody about Akers. Like I said, I'm holding him over Williams. If Williams looked like Barry Sanders, then yeah, maybe I dump Akers. But no way right now. I just can't see doing that.

I don't have many droppable guys, to be honest, which is why I had to contemplate Akers. I have Tony Pollard, Cam Akers, Khalil Herbert, Etienne, and Tyjae Spears as my RBs. I'm not even dropping Tyjae for Williams. I think Tyjae gets plenty of run if Henry goes down this year. Spears is good enough to win leagues if it happens late in the year.

I put in a bid that I'm comfortable losing out on him, but the hype is off the rails. Figure I'll lose out to someone that's in love with him. While everyone is blind bidding on him maybe I can sneak away with JKelly at cost.

Interesting tweet

Pat Fitzmaurice
@Fitz_FF

Why Puka Nacua is THE priority waiver add, aside from his eye-opening usage and acing of the eye test: Opportunities to pick up good WRs in-season are rare. Obscure RBs will fall ***-backward into high-usage roles all season. Good WRs on waivers are unicorns. Go catch one.
Except if you spend all that money on a wr you won't have any money left for the Rbs.

Me personally I'd rather spend big on Kyren

If you think those are comparable then spend away
I don’t know that yet. But I know what I saw. He was targeted 15 times, caught 10, including contested catches, and has the trust of Stafford as a result. And for 3 more weeks he’s probably a WR1.

as such, I believe he’s worth the add if one needs WR help.

And I believe someone will spend between 40-50%

Those are the things I know.

I didn’t know whether Hollywood or TMc would have longevity either. One did. One sorta did.

The situation is similar. The results, TBD (as always)
WR1? Wtf? You can't name 12 wrs you'd rather have than him over the next 3 weeks?

Nacua was the #10 WR in my league last week. If he maintains that pace, he’s likely a WR1. I don’t say that as I think it’ll happen. But WR2 territory seems possible if he’s really good.

It’s week one. Someone is going to blow 30%+. Happens every year. Not worth it imo. The Rams aren’t a good football team.
They don’t need to be for Puca to be a stud FF WR.

In fact one might argue the opposite.
We really calling this guy a stud FF WR? Even if he's a WR2 or flex thats not a stud
Didn’t say he was. Saying he could be. And more specifically saying that a team being good or bad doesn’t dictate it.

You seem to have misunderstood the context of the post you quieted.

I didn’t say all that. :confused:

I said he’s capable of WR1 FF numbers. YEA, he could be top 12 for a month.

Why is that a “wtf”?

We’re all just talking here, maybe turn down the attitude, huh? No need to WTF me - it’s an opinion.

He had 10 catches on15 targets & nothing but mediocre talent on the Rams to compete with. That’s all I’m saying.

I’m also not saying anyone should spend anything to pick him up. I’ve consistently said what I think people *will* do.

Anybody else notice how he was slow to get up on most of those 15 targets? He seemed to take big hit after big ht. Not so sure he will be able to hold up at that rate.

Edit: starts getting up slow in beginning of 4th qrt. Started getting a Mike Williams vibe in the 4th qrt with him going up and going down hard several times.

Last edited:
Anybody else notice how he was slow to get up on most of those 15 targets? He seemed to take big hit after big ht. Not so sure he will be able to hold up at that rate.

Edit: starts getting up slow in beginning of 4th qrt. Started getting a Mike Williams vibe in the 4th qrt with him going up and going down hard several times.

I did notice that actually. Really weird but no reports otherwise?

maybe I can sneak away with JKelly at cost.
I’m skeptical of that, too.

Pick your pony. Bet the house. That’s how you don’t get beat out early in the season on quality players.
Lost on Puca, guy bid twice what I did. Got Kelley for a good price, so happy with that. Won a free claim for Rashee Rice, who knows with that squad but he has as good a chance as any to earn a higher target share.

If you want Puca, be prepared to pay.

Lost on Puca, guy bid twice what I did. Got Kelley for a good price, so happy with that. Won a free claim for Rashee Rice, who knows with that squad but he has as good a chance as any to earn a higher target share.
Nice consolation prize. :hifive:
If you want Puca, be prepared to pay.
That’s what I’ve been trying to tell people.

Do what you’re comfortable with, but I’m betting people are bidding 50% or more. Probably more.

I always spend early. This Has literally won me championships

Alfred Morris (spent $100 after week 1)
Antonio Brown (year 2 I believe ?)
Josh Gordon
Jordan Howard
James Robinson
Kenneth Walker (spent $100)

I look at the first 3 weeks of the season as the most important on the waiver wire. There are always guys the “experts” miss or the coaches have kept quiet to unleash. You gotta Go big or go home

If I can’t recover from spending some FAAB money then that means I drafted poorly, or have too many injuries. Either way there are always pick ups from Wednesday to Sunday with injuries and updates

Spend the Monopoly money 💰
Walker didn’t win you a championship.
You asked for examples. I gave you some. The point of this forum is to share helpful information.

And yea he did. Ended up trading him as part of a big deal for Justin Jefferson and Tony Pollard.

If you outbid someone for a player. Pay attention to who you outbid and then offer them that player in a trade to get players you really want . Shark move

Last edited:

Ekeler has an ankle injury that he has been nagging since before the season started. Don’t know much more than that yet. That is atleast part of the reason Kelley got some carries late in the game

The indication from Kellen Moore all off season is that they want to use a couple of guys in addition to ekeler. Kelley has shown to be that guy. Ekeler is getting older as well, and they want to keep him fresh for late in the season.

The Chargers want to run the ball just like Kellen Moore did with Pollard/Elliot in Dallas. Defenses will play cover 2 against Herbert a lot to prevent the big play which opens up the running lanes. They are going to run the ball a lot

Got him in 4/4 that he was available in. Bid 53-54 in all. 2nd highest bids were $30 in most.

I thought about going 40s but I don’t regret not trying to thread the needle. I’d feel worse missing it by dropping $10 than overpaying a bit to be safe.

I’m a Kupp owner. Dynasty league. Bid and won Nacua for $37. Feel that was an overpay if being honest. Love the targets, unsure of the talent. 50/50 week 1 was fluky and I’ll cut this guy in a few weeks. Was willing to take a swing for the chance he’s real. Even if Kupp comes back this year, he’s at the end of his career. Size and weight is almost exactly the same. Just didn’t love the tape I saw of Nacua. Falls down alot when making a catch. Not much YAC week 1. But they did feed him. Always looking for immediate production combined with youth in dynasty. That combo is really valuable. He flashed that.

Good discussion as this is helpful.

For you folks bidding on him, please let us know what you paid by % of total budget you started with for FAAB. And whether it's redraft or dynasty.

I've bid $29 out of $100 for him today in redraft. Feels like a lot but I do have Kupp.

This is a good example of how this forum can be helpful.

Last edited:

I did notice that actually. Really weird but no reports otherwise?
I thought mcvay said he took hit to ribs

Users who are viewing this thread