What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Quentin Johnston, LAC (1 Viewer)

He's also a good hold, and wait till he makes some 'highlight reel' catches in training or pre season games and then sell him.

I hear this. And I agree with this. BUT there’s also the “see that! it did just take a little time for it to click!” thing that goes thru the brain and makes me keep holding and be afraid to trade my up and coming 2nd year WR that’s finally paying off.

He's also a good hold, and wait till he makes some 'highlight reel' catches in training or pre season games and then sell him.

I hear this. And I agree with this. BUT there’s also the “see that! it did just take a little time for it to click!” thing that goes thru the brain and makes me keep holding and be afraid to trade my up and coming 2nd year WR that’s finally paying off.
This happens a lot. Look at @Soulfly3 and Josh Gordon. Last I heard he’s still holding tight, waiting for the breakout. We just haven’t had the heart to tell him otherwise. 🥹

(I kid, I kid!)

This happens a lot. Look at @Soulfly3 and Josh Gordon. Last I heard he’s still holding tight, waiting for the breakout. We just haven’t had the heart to tell him otherwise. 🥹

(I kid, I kid!)

Still hold a roster spot for him, not joking :lol:

(I kid, I kid!)

That next 1500 yard season is right around the corner. I think now that he is 33 it will all finally click for him.

(I kid, I kid!)

That next 1500 yard season is right around the corner. I think now that he is 33 it will all finally click for him.

Funnily enough, his single season might outdo QJs career :lol:

Alex Insdorf
Chargers WR Quentin Johnston on technique improvement: "It was a few obvious plays this year where I lost focus, attention to detail wasn't all the way there. Just going into this year, I can say I'm more confident this year."

Chargers WR coach Sanjay Lal on Quentin Johnston's rookie season: "I don't look back in the sense that I don't know how he was coached, I don't know the context."

"To take the player back to that, I don't see the purpose in that going forward."

"We'll move forward."

Doubt it can get worse .. id toss a future 2nd on him, no more.
I dealt Gibson for him in a 12 team SF, start 10, no D/ST, no K format. (I still have Bijan, ETN, Mixon, Monty)

I picked him up with most of my FAAB budget 1st waiver run.

At those prices definitely worth a shot.

Weird - I’m reading his only camp article (2 parts, 1st part doesn’t mention QJ) and here’s what he says about QJ:
First, who emerges as Justin Herbert’s top target? Palmer already has the established rapport with Herbert and is the most complete receiver in the Chargers’ group. But McConkey will certainly be pushing for targets. He is already so refined as a route runner. He has a beyond-his-years understanding of leverages and how to attack defenders. In these ways, he is a perfect fit for Herbert.

Second, what kind of role does Quentin Johnston carve out? His route running was very poor as a rookie. Was he able to improve in that area in his first full offseason as a pro? What kind of impact will new receivers coach Sanjay Lal have on Johnston’s development? Will the new offensive scheme more consistently get Johnston in positions to be successful? Third, how many receivers will the Chargers keep? I think Derius Davis makes the roster as the fifth receiver and returner. Harbaugh retained special teams coordinator Ryan Ficken, who played a big role in the Chargers’ scouting and drafting Davis in the fifth round in 2023. Considering that, it would be peculiar if the Chargers moved on from Davis only a year after he was an All-Pro punt returner as a rookie. The sixth spot would be up for grabs, with Simi Fehoko, Brenden Rice, Cornelius Johnson, Jaelen Gill and others in the mix.

I don’t see anything about projecting QJ to not be in 3 WR sets.

Last edited:
Weird - I’m reading his only camp article (2 parts, 1st part doesn’t mention QJ) and here’s what he says about QJ:
First, who emerges as Justin Herbert’s top target? Palmer already has the established rapport with Herbert and is the most complete receiver in the Chargers’ group. But McConkey will certainly be pushing for targets. He is already so refined as a route runner. He has a beyond-his-years understanding of leverages and how to attack defenders. In these ways, he is a perfect fit for Herbert.

Second, what kind of role does Quentin Johnston carve out? His route running was very poor as a rookie. Was he able to improve in that area in his first full offseason as a pro? What kind of impact will new receivers coach Sanjay Lal have on Johnston’s development? Will the new offensive scheme more consistently get Johnston in positions to be successful? Third, how many receivers will the Chargers keep? I think Derius Davis makes the roster as the fifth receiver and returner. Harbaugh retained special teams coordinator Ryan Ficken, who played a big role in the Chargers’ scouting and drafting Davis in the fifth round in 2023. Considering that, it would be peculiar if the Chargers moved on from Davis only a year after he was an All-Pro punt returner as a rookie. The sixth spot would be up for grabs, with Simi Fehoko, Brenden Rice, Cornelius Johnson, Jaelen Gill and others in the mix.

WR depth chart​

The wide receivers depth chart will start to come into clearer focus during training camp. To start, I think the three receivers in 11 personnel packages will be Joshua Palmer, Ladd McConkey and DJ Chark. Those three have a logical synergy in terms of skills. McConkey was mostly playing in the slot during the spring. Palmer can play inside and outside. Chark fits as a true X, with his size, speed and contested-catch ability.

He was awful at creating seperation as well:

WR depth chart​

The wide receivers depth chart will start to come into clearer focus during training camp. To start, I think the three receivers in 11 personnel packages will be Joshua Palmer, Ladd McConkey and DJ Chark. Those three have a logical synergy in terms of skills. McConkey was mostly playing in the slot during the spring. Palmer can play inside and outside. Chark fits as a true X, with his size, speed and contested-catch ability.

He was awful at creating seperation as well:

Ah - ok, yeah I missed that in the middle of the article.

So this is just like, this dude's opinion? That's odd since the depth chart lists QJ as the outside WR, and all talk from coaches out of camp is that he's improved and will be out there.

I guess we'll see what happens. I'm a little hesitant to put a ton of stock into one NY Times staff writer's opinion.

Not a fan, show me more prove it mindset

I love where he falls to in drafts though

I don't think you can brush this kid off for predraft summer discussion

Not a fan, show me more prove it mindset

I love where he falls to in drafts though

I don't think you can brush this kid off for predraft summer discussion
I got him very, very cheap and have nothing to lose by rostering him other than the roster spot, so I’m rooting for good things.

Reactions: Bri
Since the Charger’s WR corp is one of the worst in the NFL, this could be a big opportunity for Johnston to step up his game.
One of the main reasons the Chargers' WR corp is one of the worst in the league is because they've gotten virtually 0 ROI from last year's 1st round WR draft choice.
Players can get better. That’s a thing that often happens in the NFL.

History says they don't have rookie seasons like that.

It was a pretty unique situation - y’all act like he was starting all season when in fact he had 3 vets in front of him in Williams, Allen, and Palmer.

So history doesn’t have much to do with it, right? Unless you can cite other precedence where the rookie 4th receiver had a monster season?

Just saying maybe pump the brakes on the haterade - we’ll know more soon enough. Enough of this is unprecedented that there’s room for him to grow.

Also, I hate that y'all are making me defend QJ with this foolishness. He’s a player I’ve never been high on.

Since the Charger’s WR corp is one of the worst in the NFL, this could be a big opportunity for Johnston to step up his game.
One of the main reasons the Chargers' WR corp is one of the worst in the league is because they've gotten virtually 0 ROI from last year's 1st round WR draft choice.
Players can get better. That’s a thing that often happens in the NFL.
Yes, but independent of that, in this present moment, the situation exactly as Tivoli described is a result of his his mostly no show rookie season.

It was a pretty unique situation - y’all act like he was starting all season when in fact he had 3 vets in front of him in Williams, Allen, and Palmer.

So history doesn’t have much to do with it, right? Unless you can cite other precedence where the rookie 4th receiver had a monster season?

Just saying maybe pump the brakes on the haterade - we’ll know more soon enough. Enough of this is unprecedented that there’s room for him to grow.

Also, I hate that y'all are making me defend QJ with this foolishness. He’s a player I’ve never been high on.

You do realize that all 3 of them missed significant time right?

Allen played 13 games
Palmer played 10 games
Williams played 3 games

Johnson still couldn't crack 500 yards on a bad team that couldn't run the ball with an elite QB for 13 games. He was awful.

Yes, but independent of that, in this present moment, the situation exactly as Tivoli described is a result of his his mostly no show rookie season.
Again, he was the WR4 on a team with what ended up being a lame duck coach.

Not sure how accurate scapegoating him for that season was. I just read that he actually only had 3 drops, as it turned out. One really, really bad one.

I just think this is getting a little ridiculous. We’ll collectively see what’s what when camp is going on.

If QJ ends up the WR4 behind Chark, then we’ll know. I don’t take any of this personally - I have 2 shares that I got nearly for free. Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst, but certainly not going to make any sort of sweeping evaluation on what 1 dude speculated on, especially since he didn’t cite any sources. He just said “I think” - but without the benefit of having seen then all practice out there.

Things will change over the course of the next 5-6 weeks. Some for the better, some for the worse. QJ is a big target - I would think they’d give him the opportunity to win the job.

Let’s find out.

Allen played 13 games
Palmer played 10 games
Williams played 3 games

Johnson still couldn't crack 500 yards on a bad team that couldn't run the ball with an elite QB for 13 games. He was awful.
Yep - the whole team was pretty awful.

This is a new year. The only official reporting I’ve seen sourced to the team is the GM & Harbaugh both saying they have big plans for QJ and that he’s very much in line for an expanded role.

Time will tell what happens. It’s a new coach, a new OC, and a new year.

I’m not psychic, nor is anyone else here. It’s a weird hill to die on since no one really knows what’s going to happen.

Allen played 13 games
Palmer played 10 games
Williams played 3 games

This is a new year. The only official reporting I’ve seen sourced to the team is the GM & Harbaugh both saying they have big plans for QJ and that he’s very much in line for an expanded role.

I’m not psychic, nor is anyone else here. It’s a weird hill to die on since no one really knows what’s going to happen.
Will anyone here be shocked if the new coach and GM who have big plans for him magically trade him for a 6th round pick during training camp?

Allen played 13 games
Palmer played 10 games
Williams played 3 games

That isn't what you argued. His situation isn't unique. Wicks was buried as the 4th wr and topped 500 yards last year, Michael Wilson was the 4th wr last year with a horrible qb and topped 500 yards, and neither of them had has draft capital.

Those were just 2 guys off the top of my head from last year, I am sure we could go back and find more.

Allen played 13 games
Palmer played 10 games
Williams played 3 games

Will anyone here be shocked if the new coach and GM who have big plans for him magically trade him for a 6th round pick during training camp?

I can't tell if this is just a joke or not, but if serious....absolutely I would be shocked if they did that.

QJ rookie season was a big disappointment. He certainly had the opportunity to produce, and he did nothing with it. But, he has a lot to offer athletically. They will see if he can pull it together before they trade him for scraps. At least this year. If he doesn't do anything this year then anything can happen next year.

Allen played 13 games
Palmer played 10 games
Williams played 3 games

I can't tell if this is just a joke or not, but if serious....absolutely I would be shocked if they did that.

QJ rookie season was a big disappointment. He certainly had the opportunity to produce, and he did nothing with it. But, he has a lot to offer athletically. They will see if he can pull it together before they trade him for scraps. At least this year. If he doesn't do anything this year then anything can happen next year.
It was mostly a joke. But I just don’t believe a word that Harbaugh says, especially when he has an incentive to lie. (Note: I have no idea what specific motivation that would be….just that he has zero reason to be honest about an underperforming year 2 player)

Allen played 13 games
Palmer played 10 games
Williams played 3 games

That isn't what you argued. His situation isn't unique. Wicks was buried as the 4th wr and topped 500 yards last year, Michael Wilson was the 4th wr last year with a horrible qb and topped 500 yards, and neither of them had has draft capital.

Those were just 2 guys off the top of my head from last year, I am sure we could go back and find more.
Fair enough. But I find the sense that QJ’s pending irrelevance is a foregone conclusion based on a partial season to be entirely absurd.

it used to be commonly accepted that receivers took a few years to adjust to the NFL. I know thats’s changed a lot in today’s NFL, but it’s certainly possible that QJ makes adjustments from year 1 to year 2.

It sure sounds like your argument is circular logic - he can’t improve from year 1 because year 1 was bad.

We can agree to disagree I guess.

Allen played 13 games
Palmer played 10 games
Williams played 3 games

Fair enough. But I find the sense that QJ’s pending irrelevance is a foregone conclusion based on a partial season to be entirely absurd.

it used to be commonly accepted that receivers took a few years to adjust to the NFL. I know thats’s changed a lot in today’s NFL, but it’s certainly possible that QJ makes adjustments from year 1 to year 2.

It sure sounds like your argument is circular logic - he can’t improve from year 1 because year 1 was bad.

We can agree to disagree I guess.

It isn't that he can't. The odds are heavily stacked against him and it was all because of him.

Last edited:
He was bad with his hands, not just outright drops, but also positioning them in general. He tended to let the ball get in on him. He didn't get a ton of separation, which combined with the previous issue led to him having a lot of overly contested attempts. I also didn't see the impressive YAC ability he was supposed to have displayed much. He seemed to only be able to handle a limited route tree.

That's a lot to work out at the NFL level. He's not this regime's guy. I think he's around until they find a viable replacement, which isn't a high bar right now. His saving grace is he's on his rookie deal. If he wasn't, he'd be gone.

I wouldn't bet on him.

Last edited:
It isn't that he can't. The odds are heavily stacked against him.
I don't think anyone is arguing that.

I do believe that sentiment is exaggerated a bit though considering his youth and potential upside, combined with the opportunities on that team at WR, combined with quality of QB.

DJ Chark seems like a JAG to me, and if that's all QJ has to beat out to have a significant role, it's not that much of a longshot.

We'll all know soon enough, so it seems wildly premature to kick dirt on the grave of a 2nd year WR.

This guy is done, waste of a roster spot. He's 4th in line for the Chargers and has proved he can't make an impact despite many many chances.

We'll all know soon enough, so it seems wildly premature to kick dirt on the grave of a 2nd year WR.
Treylon Burks - drafted 1.18, by the end of year 2 he was TEN's WR4
Quentin Johnston - drafted 1.21, by the start of year 2 he is LAC's WR4

TEN has obviously kicked the dirt on Burks after 2 seasons, and it looks like LAC is doing the same to QJ. I'll be curious to see if he really has already been jumped by the Chark or not.

Users who are viewing this thread