What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Quentin Johnston, LAC (1 Viewer)

I wish I had Palmer shares. IMO he’s the biggest beneficiary of Williams & Allen’s departures. I’ve not been at all impressed by QJ’s play.
Nobody’s been impressed with QJ so far, but his 1st round draft capital just one year ago suggests he has a much higher ceiling than Palmer. Whether he can justify that 1st round selection will be decided this season. If we’re drafting right now, I’d gamble of QJ over Palmer, but admittedly, that could prove unwise.
Personally I thought he was overdrafted last year in the 1st. His college film did nothing to show me he was a 1st round caliber WR. His contested catches was one of his greatest attributes, which I saw as “lack of separation”.

Contested catches don’t often translate to the NFL with bigger, stronger DBs.

I said that prior to the draft more than once on this very forum, and thus far QJ has done nothing to prove me wrong.

His draft capital will earn him more opportunity, but that only goes so far. IMO Palmer is the WR1 in SD until they bring in someone else, or QJ takes a dramatic leap forward. One I’m not convinced he’s capable of.

He’s toast, hopefully he can block for run plays or he’ll never see the field
I was just going to ask how his run blocking is. He better be ferocious there or he's going to get on Harbaugh's bad side real quick.

Per PFF, his run blocking grade last season was 52.7, which isn't very good... #121 out of 212 WRs graded at run blocking with at least 10 run blocking snaps.

But his grade was higher than every WR and TE on the Chargers who played at least 4 run blocking snaps other than Mike Williams, who is gone. So it seems unlikely that run blocking will keep him off the field.

IMO Palmer is the WR1 in SD until they bring in someone else, or QJ takes a dramatic leap forward. One I’m not convinced he’s capable of.

IMO Palmer is a good WR3 caliber player, and that's what he will continue to be. His run blocking is not good ennough for him to be a WR1 for Harbaugh/Roman. Here are his season run blocking PFF grades for his career:
  • 2023 - 51.1 on 155 run blocking snaps
  • 2022 - 39.5 on 276 run blocking snaps
  • 2021 - 46.5 on 143 run blocking snaps
Unlike Johnston, he has a long track record of not being good at that, though he showed improvement in 2023. Best case, that was due to the OC change last season and could continue.

I expect the Chargers will give Johnston every chance to be WR1/WR2, and I also expect they will bring in multiple WRs through the draft and/or free agency.

It's also worth noting that this Chargers front office and coaching staff didn't draft Palmer, and he is a UFA after 2024. Combine all of that, and I think it is unlikely Palmer is with the Chargers in 2025.

IMO Palmer is the WR1 in SD until they bring in someone else, or QJ takes a dramatic leap forward. One I’m not convinced he’s capable of.

IMO Palmer is a good WR3 caliber player, and that's what he will continue to be. His run blocking is not good ennough for him to be a WR1 for Harbaugh/Roman. Here are his season run blocking PFF grades for his career:
  • 2023 - 51.1 on 155 run blocking snaps
  • 2022 - 39.5 on 276 run blocking snaps
  • 2021 - 46.5 on 143 run blocking snaps
Unlike Johnston, he has a long track record of not being good at that, though he showed improvement in 2023. Best case, that was due to the OC change last season and could continue.

I expect the Chargers will give Johnston every chance to be WR1/WR2, and I also expect they will bring in multiple WRs through the draft and/or free agency.

It's also worth noting that this Chargers front office and coaching staff didn't draft Palmer, and he is a UFA after 2024. Combine all of that, and I think it is unlikely Palmer is with the Chargers in 2025.
I’m not saying Palmer is “a” WR1.

I’m saying for FF purposes he’s the de facto Chargers WR1.

Because QJ ain’t that guy.

He’s toast, hopefully he can block for run plays or he’ll never see the field
I was just going to ask how his run blocking is. He better be ferocious there or he's going to get on Harbaugh's bad side real quick.

Per PFF, his run blocking grade last season was 52.7, which isn't very good... #121 out of 212 WRs graded at run blocking with at least 10 run blocking snaps.

But his grade was higher than every WR and TE on the Chargers who played at least 4 run blocking snaps other than Mike Williams, who is gone. So it seems unlikely that run blocking will keep him off the field.
That could also be a situation where for whatever reason the Chargers staff didn't emphasize receivers blocking

Ya, he'll make a decent #2 to Nabers/Odunze
QJ himself was a 1st round pick just one year ago for a reason.

The wrong reason. The guy was the epitome of boom or bust pick.
Giving up on a player because he didn’t “boom” in his rookie season is pretty short sighted. Not saying he won’t be a bust, just that his draft capital implies the boom potential still exists in year two, particularly if playing in a new system that plays to his strengths.

Giving up on a player because he didn’t “boom” in his rookie season is pretty short sighted. Not saying he won’t be a bust, just that his draft capital implies the boom potential still exists in year two, particularly if playing in a new system that plays to his strengths.
Even before last year’s draft I posted that I thought he would bust, but this post makes a lot of sense. Yes, he may bust, but isn’t it premature to completely write him off after one season? People have less patience today than they used to.

Especially when the two reliable guys who had been there forever are suddenly gone from his path to targets. Would love to get this guy back.

I didn’t give up on him after 1 year. I was skeptical about him prior to the draft.

But I could be wrong. Certainly possible he has a breakout 2nd year with a dramatic increase in targets.

Of course he has to catch them, which he’s struggled with.

I only have him in 1 dynasty league, I am going to sell for peanuts. There is a charger fan in the league with an early 2nd, that is going to be my goal.

I only have him in 1 dynasty league, I am going to sell for peanuts. There is a charger fan in the league with an early 2nd, that is going to be my goal.
I wouldn’t call an early 2nd peanuts, especially this year. I doubt you get that good of a deal.
I agree but if one wants to sell now might be the last best chance
I don't see anyone getting a 2nd round rookie pick for him right now and they might as well hold if his value is a 3rd. Just my opinion.

Even before last year’s draft I posted that I thought he would bust, but this post makes a lot of sense. Yes, he may bust, but isn’t it premature to completely write him off after one season? People have less patience today than they used to.

Of course it's too early, but he performed worse than I thought he would, and I was already low. Now he's gonna be eating #1 CBs instead of 2/3s. Don't see it improving, but could be wrong

Of course it's too early, but he performed worse than I thought he would, and I was already low. Now he's gonna be eating #1 CBs instead of 2/3s. Don't see it improving, but could be wrong
Don’t get me wrong, I never said I’m expecting QJ to break out, only that he has a great opportunity in front of him and it’s too soon to say a breakout can’t happen.

Who knows, with Allen and Williams completely gone, and a chance to be “the man,” Qbert could have an entirely different outlook, mindset, and attitude coming into this season which can have a dramatic impact on performance.

I guess we'll see what QJ is this year, with so little competition for targets. To me he looks like he belongs on the All-Airport team. I didn't like him last year and I probably like him less now that the Chargers offense is in rebuild mode.

Who knows, with Allen and Williams completely gone, and a chance to be “the man,” Qbert could have an entirely different outlook, mindset, and attitude coming into this season which can have a dramatic impact on performance.
For one, he hasn’t earned a nickname yet.

For another, I’m not writing off the possibility of a Mike Williams return on a 1-year deal, or some other WR acquisition in the draft or FA to get “their guy”, since QJ may not be their guy.

For another, I’m not writing off the possibility of a Mike Williams return on a 1-year deal, or some other WR acquisition in the draft or FA to get “their guy”, since QJ may not be their guy.
Sometimes nicknames are just given. I mean, I didn’t earn the nickname “Meat,” just lucky I guess.

Sometimes nicknames are just given. I mean, I didn’t earn the nickname “Meat,” just lucky I guess.
The pride of Angel Beach High School!

Porky, the boys from Angel Beach are here!!

Porky, the boys from Angel Beach are here!!
Just watch out for Beulah. 😬

Didn't want anything to do with him in last seasons draft but somehow ended up with him. (at a certain point you have to take the first round player in the good landing spot)

Recently sold him as part of a package for Breece Hall. An easy sell. He was everything I expected him to be last season.

Everyone is a dogging QJ. He's a buy if you can get him for a mid-late 2nd. He may never be the alpha in SD, but he can carve out a nice role if he develops.

Didn't want anything to do with him in last seasons draft but somehow ended up with him. (at a certain point you have to take the first round player in the good landing spot)

Recently sold him as part of a package for Breece Hall. An easy sell. He was everything I expected him to be last season.
By part of the package you sent for Breece, I assume you meant he was the stamp.

Last edited:

By part of the package you sent for for Breece, I assume you meant he was the stamp.
Twine. Stamps have value.

Everyone is a dogging QJ. He's a buy if you can get him for a mid-late 2nd. He may never be the alpha in SD, but he can carve out a nice role if he develops.
I agree to a degree. I was not a fan of his coming into the league and thought it was a terrible selection for the Chargers based on what other receivers were on the board at the time. However, some receivers take a bit to acclimate to the NFL. He gets a fresh start with a proven coach and now has a year of NFL experience. Now comes the part that is tough to evaluate, how hard of a worker is he? He has enough physical tools to succeed and the opportunity is there if he can show improvement. He is definitely not a bad buy low although the mass exciting at the position for the Chargers will probably give owners hope and extinguish any super deals versus if they had been able to keep Allen or Williams (if they draft a receiver in the first he will obviously go lower).

Cherry picking a single drop is odd. Christian Watson dropped a horrible ball from ARod once upon a time. He’s still a starter

Now, if QJ looks that awful all the time, that’s a different story. But your link was just a single dropped ball. Which wasn’t as horrible as the infamous Watson drop vs the Vikings.

Cherry picking a single drop is odd. Christian Watson dropped a horrible ball from ARod once upon a time. He’s still a starter

Now, if QJ looks that awful all the time, that’s a different story. But your link was just a single dropped ball. Which wasn’t as horrible as the infamous Watson drop vs the Vikings.
I just remembered one play. He dropped many, many balls.

Again, this is the QJ topic. It has zero to do with Watson, and that’s a super weird pivot in using Watson’s poor play to defend QJ’s poor play. I am not a Christian Watson fan, nor did I ever say Christian Watson was good, so that’s completely irrelevant to whether or not QJ is good.

QJ isn’t good, btw. That was merely 1 example. It was not cherry picking, it was just the 1st play that came to mind, and it happened to be a game-losing drop, so i posted it.

I suggest maybe taking this to the Christian Watson topic if you’d like to continue discussing Christain Watson. 💡

Again, this is the QJ topic. It has zero to do with Watson, and that’s a super weird pivot in using Watson’s poor play to defend QJ’s poor play. I am not a Christian Watson fan, nor did I ever say Christian Watson was good, so that’s completely irrelevant to whether or not QJ is good.

QJ isn’t good, btw. That was merely 1 example. It was not cherry picking, it was just the 1st play that came to mind, and it happened to be a game-losing drop, so i posted it.

I suggest maybe taking this to the Christian Watson topic if you’d like to continue discussing Christain Watson. 💡
Jesus man, I’m not turning it into a Watson thread, and you know it. I’m using the single Watson plays as a comparison to ask why you cherry picked one play to criticize QJ. I don’t watch the Chargers - thank god - so if you or others have clips showing multiple plays where QJ sucks, I’m game to watch the clips. But if you are simply anchoring on one play (which is what your post could have been interpreted as) then frankly it isn’t helpful.

I traded away QJ and cut my losses, but I will say this reminds me a lot of the Davante Adams discourse after year 2. 12 drops, several of them backbreaking ones, butt of jokes on fantasy MBs/Twitter, Gifs of his worst plays being shared around, Matt Harmon saying no one had ever come back from such a bad season, stuff like that.

It's bad business banking on outliers like Adams, and I am not going to do that unless it's for cheap at this point, but I thought the parallels were interesting. The one thing with QJ is based on how refined he was coming out, teams should not have been drafting him as a year 1 full time WR. It should not be surprising he struggles as a full time WR year 1 given that.

I traded away QJ and cut my losses, but I will say this reminds me a lot of the Davante Adams discourse after year 2. 12 drops, several of them backbreaking ones, butt of jokes on fantasy MBs/Twitter, Gifs of his worst plays being shared around, Matt Harmon saying no one had ever come back from such a bad season, stuff like that.

It's bad business banking on outliers like Adams, and I am not going to do that unless it's for cheap at this point, but I thought the parallels were interesting. The one thing with QJ is based on how refined he was coming out, teams should not have been drafting him as a year 1 full time WR. It should not be surprising he struggles as a full time WR year 1 given that.
I disagree because now he's got tape to learn from and has seen how fast the DBs are and the game is.

I didn't much like how he looked. It didn't resonate with me as future success and I traded him too.

Hyatt for the first half was barely playing and when he did OMG is he fast. A play here n there, I'd question that 40 time holy wow. When he played more, he didn't know how to use his body and used his long arms to pluck at balls when it was unnecessary. He did in college and that's a common coach fix. Ramble ramble I saw a guy with a possible bright future.

Jesus man, I’m not turning it into a Watson thread, and you know it. I’m using the single Watson plays as a comparison to ask why you cherry picked one play to criticize QJ. I don’t watch the Chargers - thank god - so if you or others have clips showing multiple plays where QJ sucks, I’m game to watch the clips. But if you are simply anchoring on one play (which is what your post could have been interpreted as) then frankly it isn’t helpful.
He had multiple drops last session. I only looked for the one. You have google I assume - have at it. He didn’t look good at all.

I still don’t see any point to whatabouting to Christian Watson. But whatever. It’s not a hill I need to die on.

Problem is there’s not a lot of other plays like this. Not because his other plays were good, mind you. It’s because he failed to force his way onto the field over some very replacement-level wide receivers as a first round pick, and also failed to command targets when he was out there.

Very concerning.

Problem is there’s not a lot of other plays like this. Not because his other plays were good, mind you. It’s because he failed to force his way onto the field over some very replacement-level wide receivers as a first round pick, and also failed to command targets when he was out there.

Very concerning.
I watched a couple of games, and when I saw him play it reinforced my concerns about his college play - he struggled to get separation. And contested catches are 1. Much harder against NFL caliber DBs, and 2. NFL QBs are more reluctant to throw 50-50 balls to rookie receivers (or, in general) .

Very concerning.
Makes sense. What I’ve read - not watched personally - is that he just looked lost and mediocre at best, in every possible facet.

Very concerning.
Makes sense. What I’ve read - not watched personally - is that he just looked lost and mediocre at best, in every possible facet.
#accurate.

Lacking in the fundamentals is how I would describe him.
Watching his college film, I had the impression that he was a size/hands guy who got by on that. He was bigger/stronger than the DBs he faced & made his hay on contested catches.

It’s why that’s my least favorite college stat for a WR, because it rarely translates to the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread