What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Quentin Johnston, LAC (2 Viewers)

As I said in a earlier post upthread there are some late bloomers and guys who don't do anything as rookies. We have been spoiled a bit as far as expectations go by the great WR class of 2014.

My main disagreement with jtd13's post is the idea that good route runners as rookies are maxed out. I don't think that's the case at all.

Look at Stefon Diggs or Allen or any of these strong route runners early on in their careers. These guys are the ones who ascend most of the time rather than staying stagnant or getting worse.

Antonio Brown is another example of a WR who took awhile before he put up big numbers, but he still had a 1k season in his second year after not doing much as a rookie.
I understand your point. I was saying maxed out or close to in reference to being a refined route runner, not maxed out in overall ability. They can still develop other ways, and guys do.

Route running should be something anyone who's profession is NFL wr can learn, is basically how I understood Shanahan. Some guys don't for whatever reason, and all else equal definitely give me the guy who has already mastered that skill, but I think it's low hanging fruit if the guys work at it and are given a chance over the long run to develop there. Davante Adams is an extreme example but I think no one would call him a refined route runner in year 1-2, and he's quit skilled in that area now.

ETA - I didn't read your whole initial post and saw you mentioned adams. I think you are misremembering on him a bit. His 2nd season is when he was the butt of jokes and considered one of the worst WRs in the league by metrics such as Matt Harmon's guide. He showed big improvements in year 3 but was hurt a lot. Then really took off in year 4.
Yeah Adam's was one of the examples of a somewhat late bloomers when I looked at this earlier this year. I should likely go back and read that again as I don't remember who else I found. There certainly are some.

I remember Adam's as a rookie prospect and he was somewhat of a one trick WR with Carr who was great at high pointing the ball and back shoulder fades. That's mostly what their connection was over and over again.

It's a great trick don't get me wrong and great body control on Adam's part, but he wasn’t getting a lot of separation or breaking defensive backs down with quick cuts then. It was winning a lot of contested catches.

And yeah that sort of carried over with him for his first couple seasons before he became a more conplete WR.

I was misremembering his 2nd season. He did miss 3 games but he didn't crack 500 yards year 2. With Aaron Rodgers, and Jordy Nelson didn't play that season.

I still disagree with the idea of a WR being maxed out as a route runner as a rookie though. There is so much nuance and skill involved with that. Even the great ones keep adding new layers and counters to their route running over time. So much of that is about footwork and timing. If they aren't improving corners learn their moves and they get left behind.

It's a lot of time at the college level for these players to develop these skills and if they haven't by the time they get to the NFL they are already behind.

The list of great athletes WR who can win at the college level, but not the NFL is long and so many of them never do.

God is giving Johnston the Trey Sermon treatment. "Every other possible option shall be injured. Thou shalt give this guy touches no matter how hard you try not to." Didn't work with Sermon, but I think it does with Johnston.

Starting him due to byes and his increased opportunity but man I am holding my breath. I can see this being a 2 point game or 30 for QJ....

Forget the low fantasy stat line; that drop was such a back-breaker because a catch in that situation would have meant a real life win for his team and a flash of why they spent a mid-first on QJ. No way does Herbert trust him again in that deep ball situation with the game on the line.

I don’t care how barren your WW is at WR, you can find better on there. QJ is a safe drop in redraft. This guy’s going to be out of the league in a couple of years after he goes to 3 different teams on his way to the Canadian/Arena League.

I think he is a drop even in dynasty honestly...
No, not in dynasty, but I warned……

Unless you got a deep bench when you go to draft next year and you have to cut some people for the rookies this guy has to be first up

He is not 'developing' he is just straight terrible
How can you make that assumption in his rookie year? Yes, I didn’t like in May, but I wouldn’t be making the statement you made this quickly if I spent a 1st round rookie pick on him.

Unless you got a deep bench when you go to draft next year and you have to cut some people for the rookies this guy has to be first up

How can you make that assumption in his rookie year? Yes, I didn’t like in May, but I wouldn’t be making the statement you made this quickly if I spent a 1st round rookie pick on him.

Don't forget (up thread) that he is in the bottom 1/4 for metrics for all wrs in the league. It's not just that he dropped today - it's that he can't run routes, catch, process routes or get separation against man or zone

This isn't chase dropping a couple of passes here and there

Don't forget (up thread) that he is in the bottom 1/4 for metrics for all wrs in the league. It's not just that he dropped today - it's that he can't run routes, catch, process routes or get separation against man or zone

This isn't chase dropping a couple of passes here and there
I’m a proud non-owner, but I have my own crosses to bear, but he isn’t one of them.

Last edited:
Feel bad, seems like a great kid, was impressed with a pre season interview of his but the different number of concerns are concerning.

When I saw Herbert throw that pass, and saw it was heading to QJ I literally said out loud he will drop it. Stone hands. Also, I am sure his confidence has taken a huge hit. Not sure he recovers this season. He can get past this though.

When I saw Herbert throw that pass, and saw it was heading to QJ I literally said out loud he will drop it. Stone hands. Also, I am sure his confidence has taken a huge hit. Not sure he recovers this season. He can get past this though.
Troy Williamson didn't, but yes, he can recover. I find it amusing that some who drafted him in their 1st round rookie draft have already given up on him.

Chargers HC Brandon Staley said x-rays came back negative on WR Quentin Johnston’s ribs.

Johnston left the team’s Week 12 defeat after a hard hit to his midsection and did not return. Staley was adamant that his failure to return was purely due to his health and not performance, which came into question from reporters on Monday. Either way, the Chargers continue to lack meaningful secondary production from their first-round rookie wide receiver. Expect Johnston to practice this week as the team fights to remain relevant in the AFC playoff picture.

Chargers HC Brandon Staley said x-rays came back negative on WR Quentin Johnston’s ribs.

Johnston left the team’s Week 12 defeat after a hard hit to his midsection and did not return. Staley was adamant that his failure to return was purely due to his health and not performance, which came into question from reporters on Monday. Either way, the Chargers continue to lack meaningful secondary production from their first-round rookie wide receiver. Expect Johnston to practice this week as the team fights to remain relevant in the AFC playoff picture.

He wasn't adamant about this in his post-game press conference. He was specifically asked if the medical staff said he couldn't go into the game, and he said they didn't but they (vague they which I took to mean him and/or OC Moore) didn't choose to put him back in, which left it somewhat open as to whether that was due to the injury or due to performance.

I’ve got a funny feeling he shows up big today in a meaningless game … my other options are meh since Chase is out … but with nothing to play for … why not just feed him deep bombs 🙏🤞🙃

Chargers trying to put a square peg into a round hole. Needed manufactured touches and short ADOT. Hope he's working on his hands technique this offseason.

Chargers trying to put a square peg into a round hole. Needed manufactured touches and short ADOT. Hope he's working on his hands technique this offseason.
It's baffling that an NFL gm or coach didn't see that he was not ready to be a vertical threat in the NFL year 1 and spent a premium pick just to use him that way. 10 months ago many on this board were saying he needed manufactured touches while he developed, like how Shannahan used rookie Deebo.
Maybe that was their plan, but they shifted after Mike Williams went down.

QJs rookie season sucked. His drop numbers weren't particularly bad, but they were all back breakers. I'm still a sucker for untapped potential so I'd take a swing in the late 2nd but obviously not feeling good in the league where I have him.

As disappointing as he was as a rookie, Quentin Johnston has a golden opportunity to justify his 1st round draft selection. Harbaugh doesn’t care about last year. If he believes in QJ, and QJ can put it together in year two, he could absolutely blow up. Big ifs, no doubt, but it’s certainly there for the taking.

Ya, he'll make a decent #2 to Nabers/Odunze
Quite possibly, though considering Harbaugh’s run-first mentality, he may be content to give QJ a shot at being their WR1 and using that 1st pick on an offensive lineman. QJ himself was a 1st round pick just one year ago for a reason. Harbaugh’s system may be better designed to to QJ’s strengths and he could look like an entirely different player in year two. Too soon to relegate a player with his potential to WR2 status imo, especially when there’s no guarantee that another highly touted rookie will have a different trajectory.

Unless, of course, Harbaugh has seen enough of QJ and knows he doesn’t have “it,” but it could be the opposite. Harbaugh may believe he can unlock QJ’s potential and turn him into a great player. I think sometimes we underestimate the value of good coaching. Some players need a little help believing in themselves and building the confidence necessary to excel in a league of elites.

Since “Johnson” is too common, and “QJ” doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue, how about “Qbert” as a nickname for this guy?

Hope springs eternal... Given the depth of this class at WR and Harbaugh’s history, a tackle or Bowers at #5 (or a trade back with a team like MINN) would make a lot of sense. Could go WR in the 2nd or 3rd who would still be strong competition for QJ but at least not Nabers/Odunze.

I wish I had Palmer shares. IMO he’s the biggest beneficiary of Williams & Allen’s departures. I’ve not been at all impressed by QJ’s play.
Nobody’s been impressed with QJ so far, but his 1st round draft capital just one year ago suggests he has a much higher ceiling than Palmer. Whether he can justify that 1st round selection will be decided this season. If we’re drafting right now, I’d gamble of QJ over Palmer, but admittedly, that could prove unwise.

Users who are viewing this thread